Takeover Latest Gossip

saints_is_the_south

SSN seemed to hint KK was likely to be manager. Sounds as if regardless of what the League say MLT and Pinnacle are going to take legal action over the 10 point deduction. All I can guess is that there must be a strong case - after all we are not SLH plc FC we are Southampton Football Club again... 2 very very different things.

Surely the FL holding Pinnnacle to ransom like this is highly illegal and challengeable. They are surely entering dangerous waters denying the right of a club to come out of administration because they fear a legal challenge.

Agreed. We know we had to satisfy the FL's 'fit & proper person' test but it seems like we overlooked the 'have you got any outstanding disputes which we might lose' test.

Surely the FL holding Pinnnacle to ransom like this is highly illegal and challengeable. They are surely entering dangerous waters denying the right of a club to come out of administration because they fear a legal challenge.

Of course it is. Sounds as if the League are in a panic and MLT has a case.

That said I hope we can get on with the announcements soon and fight this 10 point battle in due course.

The rest of the league wont like us if we win, but if they only knew the pain that SLH plc had put the fans and the Club through over the last 14 years they'd be at least some sympathy.

Actrually Duncan, this is where your new historical book 'Southampton FC - The Low(e) Years' can help in explaining to the masses what we really had to endure.

Edited by SaintRobbie

That said I hope we can get on with the announcements soon and fight this 10 point battle in due course.

The rest of the league wont like us if we win, but if they only knew the pain that SLH plc had put the fans and the Club through over the last 14 years they'd be at least some sympathy.

They are obviously aware they are in a lose lose situation.

If they let us in then there is obviously a strong case against them and they are aware they may lose.

If they don't then they could end up forcing us into liquidation and would get IMO a lot of grief and very bad publicity.

IMO they are obviously scrapping around for some sort of answer and i would suspect that this may now drag on until next week.

Hope not though

Actrually Duncan, this is where your new historical book 'Southampton FC - The Low(e) Years' can help in explaining to the masses what we really had to endure.

Nice thought, but I think sympathy from others will be thin on the ground. Firstly, a successful appeal may mean we get promoted in place of another team. Secondly, we will be seen to have "got off" on a technicality (not unreasonably so)

Think NSS is right, a lot of work was done by lawyers before any bids were received, so that the new owners are buying the shares of SFC Ltd.

SLH IF it had any assets would be a separate deal within the deal where the buyer is buying them.

Remember the comments at the time that the FL said one thing because of their rules, but UK Corporate Law said somthing a little different.

I think it is likely to be that Fry & some very serious legal brains had this up their sleeves for some time and the FL are probably trying to find a way out of their own mess.

They won't be happy, other clubs won't be happy, but it would be bl**dy funny if they have pulled that off

Actually, who has whom by the short & curlys may not be quite so clear cut ;)

So could it be the case that by ratifying the deal the FL are by default admitting that the 2 aren't linked and therefore will have screwed up their own case for the 10 point deduction? This would also tie in with FF's point about how they can deny the right of the club to come out of administration.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11700_5228800,00.html

About halfway down this report, at the time SLH went into administration, Lord Mawhinney indicated we had a right to appeal the 10 point deduction. At no point has it ever been mentioned that if we found a new owner, who wanted to take up that option, would we lose that right of appeal (which would be a nonsense in itself).

They are obviously aware they are in a lose lose situation.

If they let us in then there is obviously a strong case against them and they are aware they may lose.

If they don't then they could end up forcing us into liquidation and would get IMO a lot of grief and very bad publicity.

I don't understand why this is only coming up now though...

I was thinking the same Duncan.

It seems a case of blackmail.

PS Is it just my computer that is slow today on this site?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11700_5228800,00.html

About halfway down this report, at the time SLH went into administration, Lord Mawhinney indicated we had a right to appeal the 10 point deduction. At no point has it ever been mentioned that if we found a new owner, who wanted to take up that option, would we lose that right of appeal (which would be a nonsense in itself).

I can't see how the FL can stop an appeal, but am not sure that's the issue.

I don't pretend to understand the technicalties, but would guess that the paperwork we have lodged with the league would aid or assist our appeal if the FL sign it off.

Gary Cotterill - the SSN reporter - did say that the hold-up was based around the new owners seeking to extricate the club from the points deduction and that this was detailed and technical (and he wouldn't go into the full detail because it was complex business techno babble).

Mark Fry has, however, phoned the reporter to say he remains confident that the deal will be completed today.

At a (total) guess, I'm assuming the paper work sent to the Football Laegue says something along the lines of "Southampton Football Club, which is and has always been a going concern, is to be tranferred to Pinnacle's ownership. Southampton Leisure Holdings, who have gone into administration, have had their assets split in the following ways. Blah blah blah".

Thats exactly it IMO. The FL are trying to avoid being bounced into accepting a deal which forces them to effectively concede that the points deduction should not apply. I can happily wait a few more days if it means a realistic chance of avoiding the -10.

"You can't play our game 'cos you're better at it than us"

You really couldn't make it up!

Areswipes!

I don't understand why this is only coming up now though...

Dunno, i am not going to lie i don't understand all the details of any appeal or any legal technicalities.

I can only presume that the FL had an incling that something like this may happen however they remained silent until the time in which they were challenged on the whole situation.

Or perhaps they were just sitting back and hoped that they would not be challenged ?

Sod it, get on with the takeover fight the 10 point deduction on the football pitch - It's not that big an obstacle, generally sides that win the league or are promoted second are head and shoulders above the rest so lets aim for that and forget about it!

All a bit odd if true.

The FA have never claimed that the penalty is routed in law. It's not. SLH PLC and SFC Ltd are separate entities. That is a fact. It is not up for debate.

The penalty comes from a rather liberal interpretation of its own rules by the FA.

What the FA relied upon was the contention that they were "inextrciably linked". That is also, quite frankly, a fact which can hardly be up for debate.

The only question is whether the FA rules allowed them the discretion to exercise such a judgment. The issue at hand is a simple one of construction of the FA rules. The legal reality of the SLH umbrella cannot be questioned.

If the FA are getting worried about the legal strcuture of the deal with respect to the points penalty then they are missing the point completely and don't seem to understand their own conclusions.

Does anyone know if Pinnacle are "buying" all of SLH's old assets? I understand they are definitely buying SFC, but Ive not heard anything definitive on SMS, Staplewood, Jacksons Farm etc.

I don't know.

But interesting theory.

If SLH's assets are being split in different directions, it might help "prove" that SFC and SLH are not as connected as the FL assert,

I don't know.

But interesting theory.

If SLH's assets are being split in different directions, it might help "prove" that SFC and SLH are not as connected as the FL assert,

Maybe Staplewood is being sold to the Keegan School Of Football Excellence.......

All a bit odd if true.

The FA have never claimed that the penalty is routed in law. It's not. SLH PLC and SFC Ltd are separate entities. That is a fact. It is not up for debate.

The penalty comes from a rather liberal interpretation of its own rules by the FA.

What the FA relied upon was the contention that they were "inextrciably linked". That is also, quite frankly, a fact which can hardly be up for debate.

The only question is whether the FA rules allowed them the discretion to exercise such a judgment. The issue at hand is a simple one of construction of the FA rules. The legal reality of the SLH umbrella cannot be questioned.

If the FA are getting worried about the legal strcuture of the deal with respect to the points penalty then they are missing the point completely and don't seem to understand their own conclusions.

FL, surely. Not the FA?

All a bit odd if true.

Spot on... except it's the FL not the FA ;-)

Very different things :-)

This is baffling.

Surely the intention to appeal the points deduction is completely irrelevant to the takeover?

The funds have been proven, everything's been signed and sealed, the "Fit and Proper Persons" tests have all been passed... that should be everything they need.

Mawhinney said himself that we have a right of appeal, so I don't see how this can be holding it all up :?

All a bit odd if true.

It's the FL, but the point is spot on.

My personal opinion is the only chance the League have of saving face is with regard to the transfer of the Golden Share. They can impose whatever terms they want (as it's their comp) in respect of transfering this. That is how they got Bates to accept the -15, and his appeal was to other FL Clubs and not via a court of law (he signed away that right).

They could be telling Pinnacle, "give up the right of appeal or we wont transfer the Golden Share".

Originally Posted by benjii viewpost.gif

All a bit odd if true.

Spot on... except it's the FL not the FA ;-)

Very different things :-)

Any appeal has to go to a FL panel made up of FL chairman, so there is no real issue there.

The only thing that makes sense is that the FL informed Saints prior to the administration deadline that the holding company going into administration, would not lead to a points deuction for the club. That I believe could leave to recourse outside of the FL structure and looks like something the FL is very keen to stop before it has started.

This is baffling.

Surely the intention to appeal the points deduction is completely irrelevant to the takeover?

The funds have been proven, everything's been signed and sealed, the "Fit and Proper Persons" tests have all been passed... that should be everything they need.

Mawhinney said himself that we have a right of appeal, so I don't see how this can be holding it all up :?

I realised long ago that no sanity or logic ever comes from either the FA or the FL, they just seem to do just as they want to do, when they want to do it.

This is baffling.

Sky said it was the way that the deal has been structured and at a guess, that has been done in a way that wouldn't leave the FA / FL a leg to stand on and by rubber stamping the deal they would effectively be wiping the points of themselves

Because from the little that we know, it would appear that Saints have a valid case and could get the points deduction over-turned. The Football League won't want to eat humble pie and admit they were wrong by imposing the points deduction on us in the first place, so my guess is that we have valid grounds for appeal and the FL are trying to find a way to get themselves out of the mess that they created.