Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Just had a conversation at work here where the subject of Pompey not paying the taxman (last time and this time)....to which one of my colleagues pipes up....."No different to Saints a few years ago then!"....Me: "It's a completely different scenario".....Colleague: "No it isn't, just sounds hypocritical to me....Saints went bust, Pompey went bust....same thing"

One word.....

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

It is sad that this thread has become so much a part of my life that I am now having dreams about it.

Last night I dreamed a dream that had in it the final demise of the club

I swear to you this is true - I was reading the strory in a red top tabloid - on the back was a photo of a crying TCWTB

The headline simply said

'Bell End '

I woke laughing

Just had a conversation at work here where the subject of Pompey not paying the taxman (last time and this time)....to which one of my colleagues pipes up....."No different to Saints a few years ago then!"....Me: "It's a completely different scenario".....Colleague: "No it isn't, just sounds hypocritical to me....Saints went bust, Pompey went bust....same thing"

One word.....

AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I trust he found the resultant conversation/rant/assault very enlightening.

[TABLE=width: 100%]

[TR]

[TD=class: chatmsgtime, bgcolor: #F6F6F6]16:10

[/TD]

[TD=class: chatmsgtext tweet_text, bgcolor: #FFFFFF][TABLE]

[TR]

[TD]Official_Twitter_Logo_normal.jpg[/TD]

[TD]officialpompey:

Been told that Sky said we signed two players on loan, but I'm afraid they confused #Pompey with Plymouth [via Twitter] [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

'Many thanks for your email the points of which have been noted. The Football League is actively looking into the situation to obtain the information we need. We need to ensure that the decision is the right one and one that is able to withstand scrutiny therefore only when we have this information will we be able to make a decision with regards to a points deduction.

The regulations that were in place when Southampton FC was deducted 10 points are different to those that are in place now. The current regulation relating to this can be found at 12.3 of our regulations available on the website here: http://www.football-league.co.uk/regulations/20110629/section-3-the-league_2293633_2125717

Trading whilst insolvent is a matter of company law and for the directors of the club to determine how to proceed. The Football League are competition administrators and do not administer the club. That said any embargo we may place on a club has to operate in such a way that the club can field a team of players and the signing of Etuhu was linked to the transfer out of another player resulting in a significant cost saving whilst helping the club maintain a squad capable of fulfilling its fixtures.

Thank you for contacting The Football League.'

Yep, I got the same!

Just had a look at The Snooze deadline day webchat. Literally nothing happening and they all seem delighted.

Shouldn't they be at least attempting to raise some funds at this late hour for paying the remaining players, HMRC and the CVA payment in April?

Heads in the dirty sand on Portsea Island.

Just had a look at The Snooze deadline day webchat. Literally nothing happening and they all seem delighted.

Shouldn't they be at least attempting to raise some funds at this late hour for paying the remaining players, HMRC and the CVA payment in April?

Heads in the dirty sand on Portsea Island.

Posted several times saying this but they all failed to get through

Sources are telling us that #pompeyfcand Ipswich Town have agreed a fee for Joel Ward and Stephen Henderson

and so it starts...

Just think,

Had they been open to selling 1 or 2 early January they could of paid the tax bill and looked like they were going to be OK. Now its a last minute fire sale and they are actualy thinking about playing the kids while hoping that they dont go pop completly.

Karma or something or other. ;)

One word.....

I'm sure that you helped your feeble-minded Skate supporting colleague by illustrating a simple comparison scenario that was within his limited mental powers to understand.

If not, perhaps this example might assist him to comprehend.

Explain the situation whereby a Saints fan lost control of his car when it skidded on some ice and unfortunately a pedestrian was killed when it ploughed into him.

A Portsmouth fan however, was found guilty of several serial murders.

However, in your colleague's mind, presumably they were equally guilty, as both had killed people.

Lampitt is clearly playing a dangerous game of brinksmanship.

Only it isn't with Andronikou.

Jason, you have to request a transfer.

No, Mr. Lampitt, you have to tell me I have to go.

No, Jason, you HAVE to request a transfer first.

No, Sir, you have to ask me first.

No, you first.

No, you first.

I'm sure that you helped your feeble-minded Skate supporting colleague by illustrating a simple comparison scenario that was within his limited mental powers to understand.

If not, perhaps this example might assist him to comprehend.

Explain the situation whereby a Saints fan lost control of his car when it skidded on some ice and unfortunately a pedestrian was killed when it ploughed into him.

A Portsmouth fan however, was found guilty of several serial murders.

However, in your colleague's mind, presumably they were equally guilty, as both had killed people.

The sad thing is that said colleague isn't a Pompey supporter. It happens quite a lot outside of the sanctum of this thread to be honest. The wider football supporting community typically have a 'judge a book by it's cover' attitude to football club finances. If you don't scratch beneath the surface (which most fans don't) then they're right in their eyes - two clubs, both went into administration. What more is there to know?

It's only us and people we talk to about it in any depth that have an understanding of what's actually happened to us and Pompey over the last decade.

I said "so none of you are in the slightest bit concerned about the tens of millions of tax they haven't paid to HMRC in 2009/10 and recently?"....to which the reply was: "all football clubs are as bad as eachother - they all do it (avoid paying tax) in some shape or form"

I really do give up...

I'm not entirely sure that they can use any funds raised from transfers to pay the tax bill.

Under insolvency law you cannot pay one creditor at the expense of another, especially paying a subordinated creditor at the expense of a more senior one. At present HMRC are an unsecured creditor, towards the bottom of the pile and I wonder where Chinny, CSI and Baker Tilly administrators of the CVA rank.

A judge could redirect any money paid to HMRC to other creditors.

I think that we've been looking at the wrong creditor. I think the real problem is Baker Tilly. Chinny might be prepared to overlook a preference being established for HMRC, but Baker Tilly certainly wouldn't. They are much more likely to kick up a fuss if things aren't done by the book. In all of his dealings there have been accusations about the Android's failure to adhere to the letter of the law and bending the odd rule (secured creditors voting on the CVA, disputed debt figures etc, etc) but in this case, that doesn't look like an option.