Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jan/25/jose-morinho-home-match-record

"In the ongoing brouhaha at Portsmouth much has been made of John Utaka earning £80,000 a week. Utaka has not been a success at Fratton Park (two and a half years have brought six league goals) and would surely have moved on but for the vast pay cut this would involve. This week at a press conference Harry Redknapp, who signed Utaka for Portsmouth, claimed he never got involved in players' wages and couldn't even tell you what his Spurs players were earning. There are no doubt plenty of self-motivated club owners around. But when will a manager – even a popular manager with plenty of friends in the media – be called to account? Redknapp has managed West Ham, Southampton and Portsmouth in the last seven years: all three have suffered some form of financial meltdown since. He says he has no interest in what players are earning. Maybe he should."

Any news on the embargo - it's gone 4pm ;)

Guess what folks. Its moved again! This story dated around lunchtime I believe.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/frattonlatest/Pompey-set-to-cash-in.6010618.jp

insisting the transfer embargo will be lifted within the next 24 hours.

... but then goes on to say....

'We have continued to work hard on this issue and
conceivably
it
could
happen in the next 24 hours.

In other news portsmouth have said that their money troubles will be over once they get to the end of the rainbow where a leprechaun with a pot of gold will give them a short term loan. This might happen in the next 24 hours said a club source with his fingers crossed behind his back.

Edited by pedg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jan/25/jose-morinho-home-match-record

"In the ongoing brouhaha at Portsmouth much has been made of John Utaka earning £80,000 a week. Utaka has not been a success at Fratton Park (two and a half years have brought six league goals) and would surely have moved on but for the vast pay cut this would involve. This week at a press conference Harry Redknapp, who signed Utaka for Portsmouth, claimed he never got involved in players' wages and couldn't even tell you what his Spurs players were earning. There are no doubt plenty of self-motivated club owners around. But when will a manager – even a popular manager with plenty of friends in the media – be called to account? Redknapp has managed West Ham, Southampton and Portsmouth in the last seven years: all three have suffered some form of financial meltdown since. He says he has no interest in what players are earning. Maybe he should."

Is this the very same Harry Redknapp who only the other day was quoted as saying that Spurs would have to break their exisitng wage structure to bring Ruud Van Nistelrooy to WHL?

Doesn't know what his players are earning? He obviously studied hard at the Peter Storrie school of bullsh1tting the public!

Jesus wept, some of the drivel you read on the pompey forums. Makes you realise that for all of the *****ing you sometimes get that this forum is actually pretty damn good. Just found this little snippet - apparently several thousand of us ruined Alan Ball's minute's silence:

"Did you not do something similar during your minute's silence to remember the late, great Alan Ball? Or was I just dreaming the bit where several thousand red and ****e wearing *****s were shouting out about how he was a 'skate ******'?"

http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9773&start=1

Jesus wept, some of the drivel you read on the pompey forums. Makes you realise that for all of the *****ing you sometimes get that this forum is actually pretty damn good. Just found this little snippet - apparently several thousand of us ruined Alan Ball's minute's silence:

"Did you not do something similar during your minute's silence to remember the late, great Alan Ball? Or was I just dreaming the bit where several thousand red and ****e wearing *****s were shouting out about how he was a 'skate ******'?"

http://www.portsmouth.vitalfootball.co.uk/forum/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=9773&start=1

The ****ing nerve!!

The ****ing nerve!!

If I remember correctly, he had a minutes applause - so yes, technically we did ruin his minutes silence... but it wasn't a minutes silence, was it - you dumb inbred ****s?

He got a rousing bloody reception from both Saints and Southend fans - both chanting in unison.

Stupid ****ing idiots - they really are the pits.

Well, Tottenham are interested in him at £10m, if only to get back some of what they are owed.

Could be a smart move on Tottenham's part. After all, if they get Kaboul for £10M minus what they're owed by Pompey, then they'll have a player they want for less than they would have paid. Granted, they'll effectively be writing off the money they're owed, but they probably wouldn't have got it anyway.

From Pompey's point of view I suppose it would be better to sell him to some other club, as that way they'd get the whole sale price (minus the obvious bits like fees to agent(s), sell-on fees and so on).

It's all an exercise in deckchair arrangement when it comes down to it though.

Could be a smart move on Tottenham's part. After all, if they get Kaboul for £10M minus what they're owed by Pompey, then they'll have a player they want for less than they would have paid. Granted, they'll effectively be writing off the money they're owed, but they probably wouldn't have got it anyway.

From Pompey's point of view I suppose it would be better to sell him to some other club, as that way they'd get the whole sale price (minus the obvious bits like fees to agent(s), sell-on fees and so on).

It's all an exercise in deckchair arrangement when it comes down to it though.

Just to complicate matters, Tottenham are not only still owed £2m on the Kaboul transfer, but are also due another fee due to a sell-on clause ;)

Just to complicate matters, Tottenham are not only still owed £2m on the Kaboul transfer, but are also due another fee due to a sell-on clause ;)

Oh yeah - I'd forgotten that! :) So, if they get £10M for him, they'll lose £2M of it because Spurs are owed it, then they'll also lose whatever sell-on money is due. Not quite up there with the Williamson transfer fiasco (I'm still laughing at that one now), but pretty good nonetheless.

Oh yeah - I'd forgotten that! :) So, if they get £10M for him, they'll lose £2M of it because Spurs are owed it, then they'll also lose whatever sell-on money is due. Not quite up there with the Williamson transfer fiasco (I'm still laughing at that one now), but pretty good nonetheless.

I think I read last week that they'd finish up with about £6 mill if he went back to Spurs

"So we're thugs are we RAC?

So what does that make Saints fans then? A friend of my wife's was on a train going home to Fareham. Some Saints fans were on the train and when they found out he was from Porsmouth, not a football fan, just a guy travelling on the train, they attacked him and threw him off the train, resulting in him having both his legs amputated. Are you one of that sort of brave little soldier ganging up on someone? No? You must be proud of them though. What charming people you have in your city."

WTF? Has ANYONE heard about this or can it be filed alongside Southampton Company Union Men breaking strikes and stealing their fish...

Correct, a net £6.5m. Should keep them going for 2 or 3 weeks.

So that's a couple of months' worth of wages, then. Or, looking at it another way, less than two thirds of what they owe to HMRC. Or roughly a quarter of what they owe Portpin (a moving target that, as I'm sure the interest rate on Mr Chainrai's loans won't be low). On the bright side, they'd be able to pay off Udinese in full... :D:D:D

WTF? Has ANYONE heard about this or can it be filed alongside Southampton Company Union Men breaking strikes and stealing their fish...

yep it was all over the news and reported in all the papers....not! i think it was frontline news in the Marc Jacobs and Storrie news

Edited by OldNick

'Fratton hero

100.gif100.gif25.gif25.gif

I do not have any gripes with souton and wish them well but not as well as us. Have just had a look at their vital site and no update or mention of anything. Guess who is their leading poster for the month with 10 points?

The debate ends about support when you see that.'

Someone needs to direct them to this site if they think that forum makes them superior to us :/

Apologies if it has been said already, but I am loving the very excited reaction from some fans on PompeyOnline that they might be taken over by Colonel Gaddafi's son...

wasn't that a rumour a year or so ago? It would add up with a arms dealer being tied into them some time ago

Apologies if it has been said already, but I am loving the very excited reaction from some fans on PompeyOnline that they might be taken over by Colonel Gaddafi's son...

He (is believed) to have been looking at clubs for a considerable time at PL & CCC level.

He played at a semi-pro level and is tied in to a club in Italy.

Bad news is that he is a realistic buyer of an English Football club.

Good news is he is a bright guy and has a very professional team of advisors around him.

If I remember correctly, he had a minutes applause - so yes, technically we did ruin his minutes silence... but it wasn't a minutes silence, was it - you dumb inbred ****s?

He got a rousing bloody reception from both Saints and Southend fans - both chanting in unison.

Stupid ****ing idiots - they really are the pits.

Yep. Well if this was the only remembrance of his life that we took part in then, it was a minute's applause.

He (is believed) to have been looking at clubs for a considerable time at PL & CCC level.

He played at a semi-pro level and is tied in to a club in Italy.

Bad news is that he is a realistic buyer of an English Football club.

Good news is he is a bright guy and has a very professional team of advisors around him.

I believe its genuine

well, expect it to be in the local/national press come tomorrow. I alluded to this earlier on in the thread a few days ago

If this is true why all this fuss about arranging installments with Udinese to get the embargo lifted?

If this is true why all this fuss about arranging installments with Udinese to get the embargo lifted?

because as with any business takeover - if for whatever reason it does not happen or did not happen before the window shuts we still need to run the business as an on-going concern and the day to day running has to continue until such a time as we are taken over

So you don't actually KNOW anything. LOL

to a point yes, as I said I believe this is a genuine story, whether it points to an end game that I do not know.

I don't think anyone is getting their hopes up VFTT, most of I think have accepted the inevitable, it will take a miracle to to get out of this one

Obviously bull****, but if ever a face fits it would be Gaddafi's and Portsmouth.

it is a marriage that would be apt. Gaddafi running an English football club, it just adds to the complete shame our football is in the UK. I dont think if it was saints i could support them with his familyh involved/

It is ominous that Phil was not very dismissive of the news. Whats the betting the gardening leave will all of a sudden when they get financial safelty....Im must say I thought gardening leave was a thing of the past as it is against the treaty of rome etc due to restriction of trade.