Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

http://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/rochdale/news/34512/interview-with-a-pompey-fan

1) Who are ya, and how long have you supported Pompey?

My name is Tony and I've supported Pompey for 39 years

2) Best manager / player / Pompey match?

Best manager would have to be Alan Ball, the man just oozed passion for the club and the game. Best player would have to be Robert Prosinecki, how the hell he ended up playing for us god only knows, he was worth the admission fee alone. FA Cup semi-final v Spurs in 2010. We had been relegated the day before and nobody gave us a prayer, we won 2-0 and Judas Redknapp was twitching like mad.

3) Worst manager / player / Pompey match?

Richie Barker, no question, the man is utterly useless. Worst player would have to be Carl Tiler, ex Forest Centre half, truly awful. Sunderland away in 1993, going for promotion to the Premiership, last away game of the season and about 6000 went up, a draw would have sufficed but we lost 4-1. A long, quiet trip home.

4) Right, when we headed down to yours earlier this season, you were one of the best teams we've played all season. So where has it all gone wrong?

I wish I knew. You were unlucky as that is the only game we've played where we looked good. The team is playing with no confidence, if we go a goal behind generally it's game over.

5) Is Barker the right man in charge?

Most definitely not, he is tactically inept, has no man management skills and within 2 months had lost the crowd. The sooner he is gone the better.

6) How much of a hindrance is the financial stuff? Because from the outside, you'd assume with the revenue from your crowds and parachute payments, you'd be able to walk this league with your eyes shut.

The parachute payments are being used to settle outstanding debt, we can't currently buy players without Football League approval so the team is made up of freebies, out of contract players and people in on loan so yes the financial burden is having an effect, no complaints from me though, the financial wrongdoings of past regimes needs to be addressed.

7) How appealing is a midweek trip to Rochdale?

It's not ideal obviously, we would probably have had a following of at least 1000 had it been on a Saturday so probably only half of that will make the trip.

8) What will be the abiding memory of your season in League Two?

What a crap hole Hartlepool is.

9) Any predictions for the game?

Barker will set out for a 0-0, you'll score and that will be game over as he has no Plan B. I can't see anything other than a home win, we obviously both need the points but for different reasons, I'd be happy with a point.

yes the financial burden is having an effect, no complaints from me though, the financial wrongdoings of past regimes needs to be addressed.

Well f*** my old boots, after 5 years of searching we've actually found a Pompey fan that 'gets it'...

michael-palin-faint-o.gif

Barker wants another striker. Apparently there is still money left in the kitty for one.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/barker-open-to-striker-arrival-1-5957130

What are the criteria for an "emergency loan"?

I had thought it was only for teams that had all of their goalkeepers injured at once (or similar); not for teams who have just realised that all of the players signed in the normal window are sh1t3.

Westendsaint needs to be identified, painted blue and driven down the M27 so he can find himself a caravan to dwell in.

Yup, agree with this. What an arrogant git. Real genuine Saints fans are absolutely loving them getting their come uppance. Thoroughly deserved, and karma for the toothless dimwits that follow them. Never met a decent Skate.

SI_Twitter_logo_bigger.jpgsportingintelligence@sportingintel

Clubs in 'Big 5' divs spent €12.5bn on transfers since 2008. Those who've RECEIVED most: Spurs http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/pdf/wp68_eng.pdf … pic.twitter.com/T7gxd3oHcl

BjkazERCcAAPWd3.jpg:large

ONE HUNDRED AND NINETEEN MILLION POUNDS!!!

And they still went into admin owing over ONE HUNDRED MILLION POUNDS!!!

That's a lot of money that has been flushed down the shitter!!!

ONE HUNDRED AND NINETEEN MILLION POUNDS!!!

And they still went into admin owing over ONE HUNDRED MILLION POUNDS!!!

That's a lot of money that has been flushed down the shitter!!!

It seems we've been wrong all along. They didn't spend money they didn't have to buy the FA Cup... they clearly DID have the money at some point!

Which makes their subsequent plummet all the more funny really.

I've done some research which I think you'll find enlightening, trying to find the one constant throughout Pompey's descent down the leagues.

Let's start with Barker. Yes, he's a **** manager, but he's not been the only one over the last few years, and to his credit, he has created a side which delivers far more than the sum of its parts: i.e. the players are all sh!t, but collectively, they're even MORE sh!t than we could've hoped. Quite impressive really.

There have been several other managers in the last few years, during each stage of their decline. Each may have contributed a small part, but none have been at the club for the duration, so you can't really pin it on them.

So, it must be the players surely? Well, no, because the turnover of players has also been huge, and few have been at the club long enough to make a real impact. And bless 'em, several managers have also been *protecting* many of the younger players from harm by sending them out on loan. So not their fault.

Must be the owners then. Of course! But which one? Same as before, lots of owners, all played a part, but none of them at the club long enough to really take ownership of the shambles and responsibility for their ineptitude. Just like the players and the managers.

An honourable mention for the Football League, who must've played a part in all this? But the decline started in the Premier League, not the Football League, and if they really wanted to stick the boot in, there would've been another 10 point penalty this season. There wasn't, so they can't really care that much.

So, having eliminated all other possible sources... we're left with:

The fans!

Who else could it be? Only the fans have, as they've told us time and again, stuck with the club throughout. So maybe they need to wake up and realise that actually, the reason they are where they are, and heading the way they're heading, must be down to them!

And so the solution is simple: Support another club and Pompey will be saved!

From the snooze.

Every game from now until the end of the season should be played as a cup final

PORTSMOUTH SAVED 20 4 13 PUP*

According to Neil Allen on twitter we can not get Connolly back because their was no recall clause .

Same with Ryan Bird but his loan period ends in within a week ! will we get him back ?

It's beginning to look a lot like Christmas. :lol:

They can't get Connolly back BECAUSE ITS AGAINST THE RULES. Never stopped them before of course, but you can only recall season long loans (i.e. loans to season end) during Transfer Windows - if the loan is before the Jan window players on "season long" loans can be recalled then (eg Lukaku could have returned to Chelsea) but if you set up a loan to the end of the season after January that's it. The very fact that Bird's loan ends within a week means his isn't a season long loan and he can be recalled.

It's quite true in that they had the chance to start over in the non-leagues and build up a club they could be proud of again. But chose to cling onto the corpse of a disgusting club like that, continually denying any wrongdoing. I bet that new club would have been in a better place in 5 years time than they will be.

Phoenix clubs worth making a note of - AFC Wimbledon (nine years from the Combined Counties League to Football League), Chester FC (three years from Northern Division One to Conference), Aldershot (small club, took them 16 years to reach the League) and I'm pretty sure Darlington 1883 will be in the Conference quite soon and knocking on the door of the League.

They'd have been so much better off starting from scratch.

Phoenix clubs worth making a note of - AFC Wimbledon (nine years from the Combined Counties League to Football League), Chester FC (three years from Northern Division One to Conference), Aldershot (small club, took them 16 years to reach the League) and I'm pretty sure Darlington 1883 will be in the Conference quite soon and knocking on the door of the League.

They'd have been so much better off starting from scratch.

Don't forget that an "AFC Pompey" would have had such a huge, mega, bestest following to away games that the Conference and all leagues below wouldn't have been able to accommodate them so they simply would have to have been allowed direct entry into the Football League, probably at Championship level. :nod:

Don't forget that an "AFC Pompey" would have had such a huge, mega, bestest following to away games that the Conference and all leagues below wouldn't have been able to accommodate them so they simply would have to have been allowed direct entry into the Football League, probably at Championship level. :nod:

Ha.

Though actually, AFC Wimbledon were credited with giving non-league teams a boost when they took large numbers to away games. It's not every week a team like Sandhurst gets a few hundred turning out, sitting on haystacks to watch.

Though actually, AFC Wimbledon were credited with giving non-league teams a boost when they took large numbers to away games. It's not every week a team like Sandhurst gets a few hundred turning out, sitting on haystacks to watch.

And of course Pompey's situation is very similar to AFC Wimbledon's... given how everyone loves Pompey and thinks they've been hard done by and all that...

Ha.

It's worth pointing out that, while the teams in the Combined Counties and Ryman leagues benefited from the financial boost of big crowds when AFC Wimbledon were in town, they also caused a great deal of resentment with the Billy Big ******** and holier-than-thou attitude that seemed to manifest itself among a large part of the travelling fanbase.

It's worth pointing out that, while the teams in the Combined Counties and Ryman leagues benefited from the financial boost of big crowds when AFC Wimbledon were in town, they also caused a great deal of resentment with the Billy Big ******** and holier-than-thou attitude that seemed to manifest itself among a large part of the travelling fanbase.

Can't deny that. There's a lot of ill feeling to this day. Carshalton agreed to play the Franchise in a pre-season friendly and it got very nasty.

I've done some research which I think you'll find enlightening, trying to find the one constant throughout Pompey's descent down the leagues.

Let's start with Barker. Yes, he's a **** manager, but he's not been the only one over the last few years, and to his credit, he has created a side which delivers far more than the sum of its parts: i.e. the players are all sh!t, but collectively, they're even MORE sh!t than we could've hoped. Quite impressive really.

There have been several other managers in the last few years, during each stage of their decline. Each may have contributed a small part, but none have been at the club for the duration, so you can't really pin it on them.

So, it must be the players surely? Well, no, because the turnover of players has also been huge, and few have been at the club long enough to make a real impact. And bless 'em, several managers have also been *protecting* many of the younger players from harm by sending them out on loan. So not their fault.

Must be the owners then. Of course! But which one? Same as before, lots of owners, all played a part, but none of them at the club long enough to really take ownership of the shambles and responsibility for their ineptitude. Just like the players and the managers.

An honourable mention for the Football League, who must've played a part in all this? But the decline started in the Premier League, not the Football League, and if they really wanted to stick the boot in, there would've been another 10 point penalty this season. There wasn't, so they can't really care that much.

So, having eliminated all other possible sources... we're left with:

The fans!

Who else could it be? Only the fans have, as they've told us time and again, stuck with the club throughout. So maybe they need to wake up and realise that actually, the reason they are where they are, and heading the way they're heading, must be down to them!

And so the solution is simple: Support another club and Pompey will be saved!

Bertrand Russell couldn't unpick this logic.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})