Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

You have to love the way they think Neil Warnock will come to their aid after turning down the Forest job.

Warnock said after leaving Leeds that he wanted to get a job as the man between the owners and the manager, helping the owners understand English football and aiding the manager at the same time. Imagine that at Fratton...

SI_Twitter_logo_bigger.jpgsportingintelligence@sportingintel

Clubs in 'Big 5' divs spent €12.5bn on transfers since 2008. Those who've RECEIVED most: Spurs http://www.football-observatory.com/IMG/pdf/wp68_eng.pdf … pic.twitter.com/T7gxd3oHcl

BjkazERCcAAPWd3.jpg:large

The problem the skates had, was that for all those player sales, they had never actually paid anything for them in the first instance, so the were just passing money through the club, laundry style. I think the Glen Johnson/Crouch scenario is a good example.

staggering to think that so much could 'wash' through a tinpot outfit like pompey, though even Roman Dubov went on the record to state 'over half a billion pounds went through the club and there is nothing to show for it'.

Old arry and storrie really did a number on them whilst pulling in their 5-10% commission fees on player signings and sales!

Phoenix clubs worth making a note of - AFC Wimbledon (nine years from the Combined Counties League to Football League), Chester FC (three years from Northern Division One to Conference), Aldershot (small club, took them 16 years to reach the League) and I'm pretty sure Darlington 1883 will be in the Conference quite soon and knocking on the door of the League.

They'd have been so much better off starting from scratch.

Um, Newport County AFC? 21 years from bankruptcy when bottom of the Conference in 1988/89 to a glorious return to the Football League at the start of this season.

TWENTY-ONE BLOODY YEARS! Long enough for me to move to Southampton as a student in 1991 and now have been a Saints fan longer than I supported the original Newport County for.

Oh, and guess who the Skates are playing on Saturday?

Somebody taunted them last season with "your sons will wear our shirts". A lot of truth in that (along with Man U, Liverpool etc). A 50 something Pompey fan from Fratton won't switch but teenagers from Locks Heath, maybe even Fareham will.

Newport's sports shops were stocking Cardiff City shirts within 5 years. Some people even went across to the dark side. Not me, guv, I found the nearest top division side and found a Uni course to go to there. ;)

Um, Newport County AFC? 21 years from bankruptcy when bottom of the Conference in 1988/89 to a glorious return to the Football League at the start of this season.

TWENTY-ONE BLOODY YEARS! Long enough for me to move to Southampton as a student in 1991 and now have been a Saints fan longer than I supported the original Newport County for.

Oh, and guess who the Skates are playing on Saturday?

Yeah them as well I suppose.

i notice on the message board they are thinking of ways to avoid compensation, not like Pompey to do that

One of the thicker on the News site called 2pinthepound is stating that if they get relegated from the FL then they will avoid FL sanctions and be able to buy players again...

“Following the final whistle, travelling Blues fans chanted ‘Barker out’ to make their feelings known.”

“Chairman Iain McInnes and fellow board member Ashley Brown were present in the Spotland stands to witness the highly-vocal reaction.”Really? The bestest giving a highly-vocal reaction? Surely not! They don’t do things like that! Do they?

Barker:-

“I am not everybody’s cup of tea, so what – it’s not the end of the world.”

Please, please keep him Skates. I’m liking him more every day!!!!!

Nice of Brentford to recall Toumani Diagouraga's from his loan spell with the skates.

Fantastic. Last night's captain jumps ship! The meltdown has spread to the core! They're in utter disarray. I'd love to be watching Champagne Iain right now! :mcinnes:

I've just decided to cough up my £5 again as I reckon I will need more than three posts a day here for a while! :)

Not so Mild Mannered Caretaker

2:15 PM on 26/03/2014

I sold my bl**dy car .. and used up most of my savings to get shares for me and my family...

And stood outside the High Court in tears the day we were saved..

You are NOT bigger than us fans... or PFC.. Mr Barker.

GET OUT OF OUR CLUB.

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear!

I sold my bl**dy car .. and used up most of my savings to get shares for me and my family...

GET OUT OF OUR CLUB.

F*ck me, he must really hate his family to buy them that sh*t.

GET OUT OF OUR CLUB.

Bloody hell, get a sense of perspective!

GET OUT OF OUR CLUB.

:lol:lol:lol:lol:

Nice of Brentford to recall Toumani Diagouraga's from his loan spell with the skates.

Fantastic. Last night's captain jumps ship! The meltdown has spread to the core! They're in utter disarray. I'd love to be watching Champagne Iain right now! :mcinnes:

I've just decided to cough up my £5 again as I reckon I will need more than three posts a day here for a while! :)

poor old Champagne Iain has been struck down by an appalling hangover all of a sudden! :mcinnes:

GET OUT OF OUR CLUB.

Absolute GOLD, thank you skates and thank you Mr Barker

And who do they think will save them? They are throwing out names like Warnock, Mackay and Holloway.

I'm sure they can't wait to get down to Fatpipes to chase a lost cause for 7 games.

The only guy crazy enough would have been Martin Allen.... and he's gone back to Barnet for another spell.

JOBSITE AD - Temporary role as caretaker hero.

Possible Opportunity.

Chance for really poor manager to come in, to have no effect, but to take responsibility for a couple of scratchy results that will keep a team in the football league.

The successful candidate will be expected to have a track history three divisions higher and no self respect - they will also be asked to rebuild quite badly in the summer, while pretending they knew nothing about the finances, and moaning about lack of funds.

They will also be responsible for delusional press conferences and be expected to work to a standard media template regarding fans, the club, performances, and the rewriting of history as it happens.

After a short trial period as a hero the candidate is likely to be abused both verbally and physically, there may be a request for the inevitable payoff to be deferred at this time too.

Wages will be much higher than elsewhere, but there is a pretty good chance the lucky winner won't actually get them.

This is a prestigious role working with some of the best fans, the most experienced management structures in world sport, and with no real budget limitations of any sort.

It's nothing to do with property developers at all.

So if you think you have what it takes to revive the sleepiest giant ever, send your CV, wrapped around a bottle of pre-2000 Bollinger, to Mr McInnes, The Fortress Fatpipes Harbourdome, Debt Lane, Delusionton, Portsea, P1 K3Y.

These contracts tend to run for about seven months, three of which will be unpaid.

Those who fail to attach a stamp will be looked upon favourably.

If you are still owed money from your last stint in this role, you need not apply.

Possible Opportunity.

Chance for really poor manager to come in, to have no effect, but to take responsibility for a couple of scratchy results that will keep a team in the football league.

The successful candidate will be expected to have a track history three divisions higher and no self respect - they will also be asked to rebuild quite badly in the summer, while pretending they knew nothing about the finances, and moaning about lack of funds.

They will also be responsible for delusional press conferences and be expected to work to a standard media template regarding fans, the club, performances, and the rewriting of history as it happens.

After a short trial period as a hero the candidate is likely to be abused both verbally and physically, there may be a request for the inevitable payoff to be deferred at this time too.

Wages will be much higher than elsewhere, but there is a pretty good chance the lucky winner won't actually get them.

This is a prestigious role working with some of the best fans, the most experienced management structures in world sport, and with no real budget limitations of any sort.

So if you think you have what it takes to revive the sleepiest giant ever, send your CV, wrapped around a bottle of pre-2000 Bollinger, to Mr McInnes, The Fortress Fatpipes Harbourdome, Debt Lane, Delusionton, Portsea, P1 K3Y.

These contracts tend to run for about seven months, three of which will be unpaid.

If you are still owed money from your last stint in this role, you need not apply.

Love the post code :)

Possible Opportunity.

sounds like Appleton will fit the bill

"@alex_crook: Just waiting for confirmation Barker has gone but looks likely #pompey will name their 3rd manager of the season"

Shame. The new manger effect will probably be enough to see them safe. Although, it never really materialised with their previous two managers!

Possible Opportunity.

:lol:

You know it's over for Barker when the portsmyth factory starts churning out stories designed to damage him.

Did he really shrug off a fan's criticism with, 'you've been relegated before' or start rucking with people in the family section in front of kids?

I can spot a PR campaign when I see one.

But now these facts are out there amongst the simple people, he's had it.

As for his coaching and people skills...

Every time we think we’ve solved a problem and moved on to a different problem, the other problem crops back up again because of the mental capacity to take the information on board

Meaning, the players are thick.

While he is a dead man walking, nutjobs everywhere need to calm down.

If Northampton cannot defend a lead against ten men they have the stench of relegation all over them, and there are about another three teams in that same smelly boat.

pompey just need to scrape about two results and the greatest of all great escapes will be complete and written into the history books as a plucky win against all odds.

How difficult can it be to score two goals down the bottom of that division?

They will beat someone, the quality down there is appalling.

And that's why I still believe that they will retain their league status.

As if that is a victory!

In the meantime, enjoy the ride.

I only hope you are wrong !

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})