Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Not sure how much truth there is in this but understand that the Portsmouth crest is linked to emblems found in the Middle East.

In addition Pompey are, apparently, the only English club directly linked to a Middle Eastern religion.

When they were formed their original members always wanted the club to be Shi-ite.

Appreciate there are many Portsmyths so this could be one of them of course.

Well that wish has come true!

I just saw on Meridian that Pompey. May be granted City of Football. What does that mean? Does that only get offered to L2 clubs

It's awarded to a city that has excelled in trying to get people playing the game, clearly not to laughing stock football clubs.

I like that the order of highlights went:

Saints

Bompey

Brighton

Reading

Crawley

Swindon

Skates.

tinpot.

Not sure how much truth there is in this but understand that the Portsmouth crest is linked to emblems found in the Middle East.

In addition Pompey are, apparently, the only English club directly linked to a Middle Eastern religion.

When they were formed their original members always wanted the club to be Shi-ite.

Appreciate there are many Portsmyths so this could be one of them of course.

Yes the crescent and star are very linked to the middle east maybe they have all ways been a sleeper cell for al queda

Nottingham may well be the so-called choice of the handful of judges but the people's choice will be pompey, every day of the week.

This minor setback is not a defeat, it's a victory for passion that demonstrates once again that the bestest are right up there with the elite of the world game.

In many ways, pompey are the real winners here.

Nottingham may well be the so-called choice of the handful of judges but the people's choice will be pompey, every day of the week.

This minor setback is not a defeat, it's a victory for passion that demonstrates once again that the bestest are right up there with the elite of the world game.

In many ways, pompey are the real winners here.

:lol:

I see they have resorted to begging for support now!

Tonight we face Dagenham and Redbridge at Fratton Park, kick off 7.45pm. The match is a crucial one as we aim to bounce back from recent setbacks, and I would really appreciate your support.

Fratton Park has the best atmosphere in the country by a mile and we are aiming to turn it into a fortress where visiting teams are under the cosh from the first minute to the last.

We need you and your amazing support to help us make that a reality, starting tonight.

It's not too late to buy a ticket. Click HERE to do so, and get down to Fortress Fratton to get behind the boys! Your passionate support can make a huge difference.

Sincere thanks for your continued support

Play Up Pompey!

Andy Awford

Portsmouth FC Manager

Ah they may have been cheated out of the City of Football title, but what better than playing on a Champions League night against Dagenheim & Rot-brugge. I'm sure they'll be as overawed as Milan!

I was surprised when the commentators at the Liverhampton game missed off Fratton Park when talking about the CL kicking off in atmospheric stadiums. He mentioned Istanbul, Dortmund, Madrid and Lisbon, must just have been a slip of the tounge eh?

I was surprised when the commentators at the Liverhampton game missed off Fratton Park when talking about the CL kicking off in atmospheric stadiums. He mentioned Istanbul, Dortmund, Madrid and Lisbon, must just have been a slip of the tounge eh?

Well seeing as Fratton Park has 'the best atmosphere in the country by a mile' it is certainly surprising.

Is it fair to assume that Andy Awford has never been to a proper ground and doesn't own a television?

That claim is bonkers-delusional, even by rabid frothing-at-the-mouth Portsea standards.

The timing is rather unfortunate too - anyone want to tell Liverpool that Anfield on a Champions' League night is nowhere near as good as a half-packed fortress fatpipes for the visit of Dagenham and Redbridge? :lol:

What this about Portsmouth in the running to be Sport Englands City of football, and then getting beaten to the prize by Nottingham? Whats's pompey got to do with football?

You mean you don't know?

Clare Martin, chief executive at Pompey in the Community told the Portsmouth News: "I’m disappointed and quite shocked.

"I think when everybody knows in their hearts that football is embedded in the city and only your city can win, and it doesn’t, it hits hard.

"The city put on such a show for the judges on Monday – there could be no question that there could be anywhere more motivated.

"I can’t imagine anyone not wanting to take that, bottle it, and use that passion."

They're the most passionest and therefore the bestest in world football.

You mean you don't know?

Clare Martin, chief executive at Pompey in the Community told the Portsmouth News: "I’m disappointed and quite shocked.

"I think when everybody knows in their hearts that football is embedded in the city and only your city can win, and it doesn’t, it hits hard.

"The city put on such a show for the judges on Monday – there could be no question that there could be anywhere more motivated.

"I can’t imagine anyone not wanting to take that, bottle it, and use that passion."

:spaz: :mcinnes: :facepalm:

Pass the spew bucket please!!

Edited by ericofarabia

Hello, is that Nottingham City Council?

Yeah you don't know us but we were your main rivals for the football gig....no, we're not Manchester, we're pompey......portsmouth - the passionate ones? With the ships and stuff?....We won the cup? No, not the European one....

Yeah that's us!.....And we did have a lot of debt yes.....and the prostitutes...and the money-laundering, see you do remember us!

No, we haven't paid the cup teams yet...... yeah, we're in League Two as you ask, but we are doing very well so we'll probably be playing each other pretty soon....yes, it is good to have a dream.

Anyway, enough smalltalk, we thought you did a super job trying to compete with us in a competition that only we could win, but you were short of one ingredient, so we'd like to help you out and send you something...

Yes, technically you did win but we were quite shocked as we are the bestest, so we thought we'd help you little guys out with some bottles of passion.

Yes, that is what I said....so how many crates of passion do you guys think you need to bring you up closer to our level?

Hello....hello?

Hello, is that Nottingham City Council?

Yeah you don't know us but we were your main rivals for the football gig....no, we're not Manchester, we're pompey......portsmouth - the passionate ones? With the ships and stuff?....We won the cup? No, not the European one....

Yeah that's us!.....And we did have a lot of debt yes.....and the prostitutes...and the money-laundering, see you do remember us!

No, we haven't paid the cup teams yet...... yeah, we're in League Two as you ask, but we are doing very well so we'll probably be playing each other pretty soon....yes, it is good to have a dream.

Anyway, enough smalltalk, we thought you did a super job trying to compete with us in a competition that only we could win, but you were short of one ingredient, so we'd like to help you out and send you something...

Yes, technically you did win but we were quite shocked as we are the bestest, so we thought we'd help you little guys out with some bottles of passion.

Yes, that is what I said....so how many crates of passion do you guys think you need to bring you up closer to our level?

Hello....hello?

As ever Rallyboy, Brilliant.

Looks like the Sec of State won't be calling in the planning application and PCC are looking at making a decision by Friday.

I'm guessing all that remains is to see whether Tescos pull the scheme or not. Would expect the fact they aren't THE city of football to be the deal breaker.

Sorry Danbert, but you made that quote up, didn't you?

You didn't?!.....

If I'd made it up it would have been less like a parody (and grammatically correct)...

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/09/16/ad-pompey-fans-react-on-twitter-to-failed-city-of-football-bid/?

In case you haven't visited the Pompey In The Community site it's here: http://www.pompeyitc.co.uk/

All very worthy, of course, but their tagline made me giggle anyway: "YOUR CITY YOUR CLUB YOUR CHARITY"

did they think the money would go to the football club?????? 1.6 m wouldnt go far anyway, most of the budget would go on shovels to clean the pitches of the dog####

Indeed! As a goalkeeper who plays on council pitches near Portsmouth I have in my kitbag a little plastic shovel and plastic bags. As I've got a very strong gag reflex I tend to ask the manager to do the job...

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})