Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I have been waiting a while for this chance since the birth year idea came a long. So 1977 the king died' and it was until recently the Katy time a Brit won Wimbledon. It also means i missed or on our one FA cup triumph. So I have had a long time to one what to say but my memories of visiting Portsmouth seemed like a good idea. It has been 10 years since I was last in the UK, 12 years when I last went to Southampton and 16 since I visited Portsmouth and that was against my will when my Portsmouth living friend decided it would be funny to drive me over to the dodgy parts of Portsmouth while eating my saints shirt. Three was quite a lot of the island to choose from. I remember it as a rather crowded place with grim buildings. I don't th ink it has likely improve d much in the time i have been gone. Any way that friend is now a Portsmouth city counselor and shares a name with a premier league referee, one of two friend in the uk who have that distinction. I only lives in Southampton for 2 years but man was it better than Portsmouth. Now Portsmouth seems so irrelevant in the 4th tier and struggling. The best Pratt of Portsmouth to me WA always when you got back on the M27.

Did you google translate this from your native language?

I remember this very well

Christmas game which we won 5-3 I think

Only discussing this with neighbour I take to St Mary's.

Spookily he was on same (Shamrock & Rambler?) coach and had a mate who had been hit by an iron bar on the way out of the and was laid out on the coach coming home in a bit of a state.

Coach had little or no heating and it was freezing coming back over Salisbury Plain.

I was wearing a brand new reefer jacket (Xmas present) and we were all stood behind one of the goals mixed in with the Cardiff mob

I suppose it was fortunate that the missile that hit me was only a hot meat pie but could never get the smell of the contents out of the jacket despite dry cleaning

Dodgy times then. Where you stood next to us at Plymouth when a bloke got bottled?

Them wos the days, eh :):)

Didn't Eric Pickles have 21 days to call in Robinson's Tesco application, starting from when the self-servers in PCC gave their approval on 6 August ?

Anyone got any updates / news on this ?

Status still showing as awaiting decision

http://publicaccess.portsmouth.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=N0TSUCMO02W00

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I remember this very well

Christmas game which we won 5-3 I think

Only discussing this with neighbour I take to St Mary's.

Spookily he was on same (Shamrock & Rambler?) coach and had a mate who had been hit by an iron bar on the way out of the and was laid out on the coach coming home in a bit of a state.

Coach had little or no heating and it was freezing coming back over Salisbury Plain.

I was wearing a brand new reefer jacket (Xmas present) and we were all stood behind one of the goals mixed in with the Cardiff mob

I suppose it was fortunate that the missile that hit me was only a hot meat pie but could never get the smell of the contents out of the jacket despite dry cleaning

Dodgy times then. Where you stood next to us at Plymouth when a bloke got bottled?

Yeah I remember all that and the Plymouth game when someone who must have had 2 gallons of scrumpy just went ape**** and not a cop in site.

Happy days LOL.

You still at the same email addy?

Ironically we employ some lads from Newport.

Decent chaps and hard workers but you wouldn't want to cross them.

They used to be paid in cash but this was changed to direct debit, for a number of reasons, one of which was that their wives/girlfriends used to demand house keeping money every Friday evening and these outwardly tough lads were genuinely concerned about getting into trouble with their partners.

Apparently some of the Newport ladies were more frightening than their male counterparts.

Similar in many respects to the 'Valley People' who flock into Cardiff on a Saturday night

You take that back! :o Touchy subject, we all know the difference between townies and valley scum there.

It has changed a bit though, Newport was full of 7-seater scumbus Gwent valley boys and girls on a Friday and Saturday night into the early 2000s, when they re-built the disused Gwent Valley train line and terminated it in Cardiff not Newport. The last 2 stops before it takes a right for Cardiff are Risca and Rogerstone which are both historically considered part of Newport locally, and the main road from those valleys emerges at M4 Junction 28 which is also in Newport.

After the train service re-emerged, all the (Gwent) valley boys ended up in Cardiff, and Newport's nightlife, whilst a bit rough before, just disappeared into thin air. But trust me, I've been out in Pontypool, Newport's positively cosmopolitan compared to that lot (and Pontypool's cosmopolitan compared to Ebbw Vale).

NB: The Gwent valleys (used to) feed Newport, the "actual" Welsh valleys (i.e. Rhondda/Cynon/Taff) still feed into Cardiff. And that lot decrease in civility the nearer mid-Wales you get too.

As for the scariness of Newport women, I think it's just placating wives generally, no different on the sunny South Coast.

All of which just serves to underline the various expectations of Newportonian yobs on an away day (which I've just remembered was pay on the day as well, an added attraction).

Edited by The9

Maybe not relevant to a skate thread but remember getting hit in the face by a hot meat(?) pie at Ninian Park...

As a Newportonian, despite numerous Newport v Cardiff matches in Div 3 and 4, I wasn't permitted to attend Ninian Park for anything other than occasional Wales matches.

I didn't do so until Saints played them in the Championship the season we got relegated - pretty sure I've already been to the Cardiff city Stadium more times than I did Ninian for Red/blueturds matches.

After the train service re-emerged, all the (Gwent) valley boys ended up in Cardiff, and Newport's nightlife, whilst a bit rough before, just disappeared into thin air. But trust me, I've been out in Pontypool, Newport's positively cosmopolitan compared to that lot (and Pontypool's cosmopolitan compared to Ebbw Vale).

*shudders*

Status still showing as awaiting decision

http://publicaccess.portsmouth.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=N0TSUCMO02W00

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some of the comments on there are good, all the support gang seem to think it wiil good for the club,I think, that they think they will be getting more than that is really on offer, if that makes any sense,

If it gets rejected the fun will then begin

Yeah I remember all that and the Plymouth game when someone who must have had 2 gallons of scrumpy just went ape**** and not a cop in site.

Happy days LOL.

You still at the same email addy?

Indeed

Do I owe you an update?

Reflecting on those days, we were all quite well behaved and innocent on away trips.

Did you come on the coach I organised from School to the Leyton Orient promotion game?

As I remember we used to get on quite well with the Pompey fans at school but it appears all that changed after Saints took over as the most successful south coast club in the 1960's

Indeed

Do I owe you an update?

Reflecting on those days, we were all quite well behaved and innocent on away trips.

Did you come on the coach I organised from School to the Leyton Orient promotion game?

As I remember we used to get on quite well with the Pompey fans at school but it appears all that changed after Saints took over as the most successful south coast club in the 1960's

Yes you owe me an update and yes was on the bus to Leyton Orient.

Don't remember any hard core pompey that went home and away like we did with Saints. But there were a few that were all mouth and nothing else

unysuquh.jpg

They want compensation FOR THE CLUB! Honestly, it's just in their genes to beg.

Bless them - I must have completely imagined:

- Coventry away circa early 00s where the skates wrought havoc and according to one senior W Midland copper 'came to Coventry with the intention of violence'

- Waterloo Station, the pub they and Millwall totalled (Windmill?)

- 2004 and Goldsmith Avenue's welcoming party for our fans

- Last season's pitch invasion and disorder at Griffin Park

Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head - or I am imaging it all?

- Coventry away circa early 00s where the skates wrought havoc and according to one senior W Midland copper 'came to Coventry with the intention of violence'

Caused havoc..... in the disabled section at Highfield Road.

- Waterloo Station, the pub they and Millwall totalled (Windmill?)

- 2004 and Goldsmith Avenue's welcoming party for our fans

- Last season's pitch invasion and disorder at Griffin Park

Those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head - or I am imaging it all?

That's not even the point, the point is the babyish bleating about compensation on behalf of someone else for something neither club actually has any great control over.

Isn't that Jed Wallace highly rated? Seen him a few times now and he's always looked poor.

Highly rated by them, apparently not so much by anyone else, they were pretty much publicly hawking him for sale in January as they thought they'd lose him for **** all in the summer, but nobody seemed to show any actual interest, so he signed a new contract with them.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})