Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I think Pompey fans have done a great job and should be supported by every right minded football supporter. This thread really is getting sad and bitter. Surely we are better than that? Time to lock the thread, I think. Embarrassing....

It's for the comedy value that it continues to exist...the day I stop laughing at them will be the day I breathe my last breath. Bashing them...yep, good by product and again cause for mirth. I wish I had a pound for every time I've laughed out loud at something on this thread - come to think of it it would have made their begging bucket heavier if they had that amount. :lol:

Lol - my other half runs a homeless hostel in southampton for drug addicts and alcoholics - don't talk to me about pompey being a ****hole full of bellends its the same both sides of fareham. There have been some horrific murders up there recently.

Very true but some on here won't like you saying that

"Whatmough is a raw talent at the moment but if in 2-3 years when he has developed a little more and we sell for £3m-£5m with

a sell on fee and invest in the club both on and off the field that will be the way forward. We are a mid championship team with

the infrastructure we have so that is the goal."

Good luck to the lad BUT yet again you only talk about any money going to the club and NOT the people who are still owed lots of money.

That is another reason why this thread will just go on and on.

Whatmough is a raw talent at the moment but if in 2-3 years when he has developed a little more and we sell for £3m-£5m with a sell on fee and invest in the club both on and off the field that will be the way forward. We are a mid championship team with the infrastructure we have so that is the goal.

You'll have to sell him well before he reaches anything like that value. That's the value of a young defender that's had a couple of outstanding seasons in the C'ship. If he does well in Lge 1, should you go up - someone will take him off your hands for £1m-£1.5m tops.

Very true but some on here won't like you saying that

"Whatmough is a raw talent at the moment but if in 2-3 years when he has developed a little more and we sell for £3m-£5m with

a sell on fee and invest in the club both on and off the field that will be the way forward. We are a mid championship team with

the infrastructure we have so that is the goal."

Good luck to the lad BUT yet again you only talk about any money going to the club and NOT the people who are still owed lots of money.

That is another reason why this thread will just go on and on.

The debts we owe are being paid off and we are ahead of schedule as I understand it - I have no control over what the club does about debt that we are not legally responsible for but perhaps morally ought to consider.

Lol - my other half runs a homeless hostel in southampton for drug addicts and alcoholics - don't talk to me about pompey being a ****hole full of bellends its the same both sides of fareham. There have been some horrific murders up there recently.

You're probably right there; mind you, I have worked at the Portsmouth Foyer...

But I think Dronski sums it up best for me: I too have had some genuine laugh out loud moments on this thread, and although like all long-running series it's lost some of its edge there are still plenty of chuckles to be had.

Teams with better infrastructure then the Skates (Based on modernity of ground, size of ground, training facilities.)

All Premier League Sides

Championship: Forest, Cardiff, Millwall, Charlton, Norwich, Watford, 'Boro, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Reading, Derby, Blackburn, Birmingham, Brighton, Wolves, Rotherham, Leeds, Huddersfield, Wigan, Bolton, Fulham, Blackpool (All bar 2, 3 if you exclude Blackpool.... but Bloomfield road is a very good facility.)

League 1: Bradford, Bristol City, MK Dons, Preston, Doncaster, Coventry (Once SISU and ACL come to terms, they have a great academy and training structure), Barnsley, Sheffield United.

So, I make that at worst lower League 1, at best lower championship with a fair wind and purple patch. Times have changed, many clubs have invested to improve themselves (Like Brighton, now easily the second biggest club on the south coast) the failure to make hay when the sun shone has set the Skates back at least a decade.

The only way that they can catch up will be from a huge influx of funds. A good academy could provide a base for that but it will take years to re-implement to a decent level, the fan owned (...... sorry, my splitting sides.....) model also in theory prevents a rich benefactor taking over. While their trevails over the past 7 years didn't kill them, it took the glass ceiling and lowered it to a level that will prevent them actively competing at the standard many, many of their fans saw as a divine right.

That is a victory for common sense and fair play.

Edited by Colinjb

Whatmough is a raw talent at the moment but if in 2-3 years when he has developed a little more and we sell for £3m-£5m with a sell on fee and invest in the club both on and off the field that will be the way forward. We are a mid championship team with the infrastructure we have so that is the goal.

it is ridiculous not to think Southampton has the same s### in its society. Sadly there is a big pool of idiots in both cities. To think Southampton is any better as a city is a nonsense.

As for football, I think you will challenge this season but after last season 2 wins and draw makes you believe you are mid Championship!! i dont get the infrastructure bit, where is that???

Whatmough was with us if I recall correctly and we let him go, it will be a bit of a nuisance if he helps you along lol.

iWhatmough was with us if I recall correctly and we let him go, it will be a bit of a nuisance if he helps you along lol.

Yep, left our academy in 2009. A Gosport lad who allegedly switched to his preferred club. Fair play if so, but you would have to wonder how he would have developed had he remained with us. Would he have been near our first team? In better facilities he may have been a match for Jack Stephens.

Teams with better infrastructure then the Skates (Based on modernity of ground, size of ground, training facilities.)

All Premier League Sides

Championship: Forest, Cardiff, Millwall, Charlton, Norwich, Watford, 'Boro, Sheffield Wednesday, Ipswich, Reading, Derby, Blackburn, Birmingham, Brighton, Wolves, Rotherham, Leeds, Huddersfield, Wigan, Bolton, Fulham, Blackpool (All bar 2, 3 if you exclude Blackpool.... but Bloomfield road is a very good facility.)

League 1: Bradford, Bristol City, MK Dons, Preston, Doncaster, Coventry (Once SISU and ACL come to terms, they have a great academy and training structure), Barnsley, Sheffield United.

So, I make that at worst lower League 1, at best lower championship with a fair wind and purple patch. Times have changed, many clubs have invested to improve themselves (Like Brighton, now easily the second biggest club on the south coast) the failure to make hay when the sun shone has set the Skates back at least a decade.

The only way that they can catch up will be from a huge influx of funds. A good academy could provide a base for that but it will take years to re-implement to a decent level, the fan owned (...... sorry, my splitting sides.....) model also in theory prevents a rich benefactor taking over. While their trevails over the past 7 years didn't kill them, it took the glass ceiling and lowered it to a level that will prevent them actively competing at the standard many, many of their fans saw as a divine right.

That is a victory for common sense and fair play.

Yeah but they have the best fans and clapped Henry. Or something.

The debts we owe are being paid off and we are ahead of schedule as I understand it - I have no control over what the club does about debt that we are not legally responsible for but perhaps morally ought to consider.

Come off it, the only reason you're ahead of schedule with the repayments is because the club managed to schedule the repayments to get dragged out over 3-4 years well into 2016 despite having enough in parachute money to have repaid them in full before the Parachutes ran out in the summer. And let's not forget that the only reason those players are being paid at all is because of the Football Creditors rule and the FL's insistence on doing so before being allowed to play in the League (prior to the League One season), otherwise those debts would have fallen into the black hole along with the rest of CVA1 and never been repaid.

Let's consider how many years it SHOULD be taking for those debts to be paid off - and maybe how long it took Saints to pay back their outstanding creditors post-takeover (clue: not very).

Edited by The9

Come off it, the only reason you're ahead of schedule with the repayments is because the club managed to schedule the repayments to get dragged out over 3-4 years well into 2016 despite having enough in parachute money to have repaid them in full before the Parachutes ran out in the summer. And let's not forget that the only reason those players are being paid at all is because of the Football Creditors rule and the FL's insistence on doing so before being allowed to play in the League (prior to the League One season), otherwise those debts would have fallen into the black hole along with the rest of CVA1 and never been repaid.

Let's consider how many years it SHOULD be taking for those debts to be paid off - and maybe how long it took Saints to pay back their outstanding creditors post-takeover (clue: not very).

Well said sir. The only reason the club are in (relatively) good health today is because the money owed to taxpayers, businesses, etc was traded for preservation of their league status. The only outcome that would have warranted anyone's praise for Pompey fans would have been liquidation of the club and the ground + land sold off with the proceeds given to the creditors, along with the remaining parachute payments at the time, and then a new non-league club started up.

The club is only where it is today because they chose self preservation over maximising payments to creditors. Self preservation over paying back more to the tax payer so that more hospital operations could be performed (for example). Hardly worthy of any praise.

Edited by trousers

sorry Lord T, you forget, we did just the same...

We left loads of debts, we didn't pay our CVA, our half-empty ground St Fairies, in Little Delhi, is owned by the council, while the meagre attendances are propped up by free tickets to asylum seekers.

We owe £35M to an offshore loan shark, and our owner, the daughter of an SS tank commander, has asset-stripped the company bare and is desperate to firesell during the current meltdown, before we plummet to non-league.

Apparently.

And at this time when the role of the Nutjob in modern society is being debated, when you have to put up with being told these things on a weekly basis despite pompey walking away from criminal charges, massive debts and financial irregularities unpunished, you don't ask for threads to be locked, you stick Dr Marten right in and joyfully harvest every last laugh from their hilariously predictable and crushing demise. :)

Is there anyone who was at Fortress Fatpipes for the 4-1 defeat who suffered the accompanying ridicule and think it's time to be nice to them yet?

For each one of them, I'll show you a pompey fan who feels the cup was illegal, didn't celebrate, and refuses to accept it.

We left loads of debts, we didn't pay our CVA, our half-empty ground St Fairies, in Little Delhi, is owned by the council, while the meagre attendances are propped up by free tickets to asylum seekers.

We owe £35M to an offshore loan shark, and our owner, the daughter of an SS tank commander, has asset-stripped the company bare and is desperate to firesell during the current meltdown, before we plummet to non-league.

Apparently.

And at this time when the role of the Nutjob in modern society is being debated, when you have to put up with being told these things on a weekly basis despite pompey walking away from criminal charges, massive debts and financial irregularities unpunished, you don't ask for threads to be locked, you stick Dr Marten right in and joyfully harvest every last laugh from their hilariously predictable and crushing demise. :)

Is there anyone who was at Fortress Fatpipes for the 4-1 defeat who suffered the accompanying ridicule and think it's time to be nice to them yet?

For each one of them, I'll show you a pompey fan who feels the cup was illegal, didn't celebrate, and refuses to accept it.

last two sentences sum up my feelings

last two sentences sum up my feelings

actually with the money for PP's these days for teams coming down from the prem yes maybe lower champs upper league 1 is more realistic

I do smile when you lot go on about how much debt etc we should of paid off - nearly all companies in the same position will try and negotiate to pay off as little as possible in order to survive. Suppose your going to tell me that has never happened before with any football club / business ? £20 says you will come back with they didn't rip off local business and charities - prove it !

Whilst I would of liked us to pay off all debts in full the law allows for different when it comes to business and thats what it is business at the end of the day. Its not something I am proud of but it is what it is

actually with the money for PP's these days for teams coming down from the prem yes maybe lower champs upper league 1 is more realistic

I do smile when you lot go on about how much debt etc we should of paid off - nearly all companies in the same position will try and negotiate to pay off as little as possible in order to survive. Suppose your going to tell me that has never happened before with any football club / business ? £20 says you will come back with they didn't rip off local business and charities - prove it !

Whilst I would of liked us to pay off all debts in full the law allows for different when it comes to business and thats what it is business at the end of the day. Its not something I am proud of but it is what it is

If Pompey was a 'normal' business it would have gone under years ago. The only reason Pompey is still alive in the football league is because its a football club and football clubs are able to circumnavigate usual business rules by playing the "you can't let a football club go to the wall" heart strings card.

Unlike a 'normal' business, Pompey had a choice: liquidate and start again in the lower leagues or rip off as many people as possible to stay in the football league. They chose the latter.

Most don't carry on for months whilst clearly insolvent and continuing to spend.

And that's without even touching on the lack of sanction for the obvious criminality that was going on behind the scenes.

Most don't carry on for months whilst clearly insolvent and continuing to spend.

And that's without even touching on the lack of sanction for the obvious criminality that was going on behind the scenes.

Talking of which, whatever happened to the forensic investigation into the Pompey accounts that Baker Tilly were conducting? No doubt something else that has been conveniently and quietly brushed under the carpet and airbrushed from history....

Apparently.

Move on mate

Are you new here or something?

No been posting for several years.Ex player. Born in Bitterne. I just think that this thread is past its sell by date.It is not about any takeover anymore but a simmering and sometimes indignant rant against all things Pompey. Nothing wrong in that per se but it is no longer about a takeover. As for being simple!! Well I simply have a different viewpoint. Does that make me simple or is the poster of that stupid comment a simpleton?

No been posting for several years.Ex player. Born in Bitterne. I just think that this thread is past its sell by date.It is not about any takeover anymore but a simmering and sometimes indignant rant against all things Pompey. Nothing wrong in that per se but it is no longer about a takeover. As for being simple!! Well I simply have a different viewpoint. Does that make me simple or is the poster of that stupid comment a simpleton?

Pretty redundant opinion as long as this thread is still popular. It isn't going anywhere.

This thread is a broad church. It has it's ups and downs and is probably the foremost internet reference point for their saga. The thing I like most about it is that it generally feels very different to the main board and takes a light hearted swipe and our friends down the road. It has become a bit of a community, although you don't have to have 6 fingers and donate a grenade to join.

I think there will be a lag whilst they rejoice in their 11 month financial year and pick up points in a pretty uncompetitive league. I 4-1 will be hanging around for the Rallyboy posts and gut laughs that will no doubt follow at some point very soon.

Give it 5 years and the present high net worth guys will be looking to be taken over, unless their pockets are really deep. their business model is unsustainable at fratton

As such a re-naming may be in order. No way should it be shut down, Mero's latest delusional contribution and hasty back-track serves as proof, there's plenty more fun to be had at that cesspit of a club's expense.

There is an inherent problem in renaming long-running threads, and that's the SEO effect. That thread has had so many hits and outside links that it's really highly ranked on Google etc. Changing the thread title would change the URL of the thread, which would then destroy that high page ranking.

Personally, I like exposing them.

Change the thread title? Nah, they are still in a takeover phase. As we know from past experience, a takeover isn't complete until the inherited (diluted) debts are settled. Ergo this latest takeover completes in 2016 (IIRC).

As my old showbiz chum Bobby Davro once said: "A volcano that hasn't erupted for years isn't necessarily extinct". Wise words Bobby, wise words.

There is an inherent problem in renaming long-running threads, and that's the SEO effect. That thread has had so many hits and outside links that it's really highly ranked on Google etc. Changing the thread title would change the URL of the thread, which would then destroy that high page ranking.

Personally, I like exposing them.

Don't change the name of the thread they need to be exposed as the cheats they are

There is a "takeover" battle continuing right now before our eyes, between the supporters trust and the others, for control of a majority of the shares in the football club.

At the moment I don't know who is winning, because like all important matters in their new era of transparency, it's a secret.

As trousers rightly said, this takeover isn't finished yet, and I doubt if most skates will be happy when it is.

As such a re-naming may be in order

change Pompey to Skate is the possible change I would consider in the thread title

Agree.

Maybe something like 'All things skate', then any post (which there's very few other than this thread) about the deluded pikeys are all in one place away from the main board.

Carry on.

Too late, I've moved on - I'm off to the main board to seek out as many threads as possible that don't interest me, and then to comment in the strongest possible terms on subjects of which I have no knowledge whatsoever.

To fit in I shall also be suggesting that Rickie is a greedy Judas who should be booed at every opportunity and removed from the website - and that we should employ Glenn Hoddle without delay or I shall never go to any sort of sporting event ever again.

Yeah, that's right, we have normal views for normal people over there, unlike you saddo nutjob freaks on here still banging on about the mafia and criminality and unpaid debt, all from a club whose supporters heap filthy abuse on Saints on a daily basis.

I can't see why you people find their little blip so entertaining.

It's not like they came to our ground and abused a dead man's memory.

What is so funny about their hard-earned season ticket money being used to pay a bloke to drive their manager to an industrial estate brothel?

And three relegations in quick succession is no laughing matter, you are just jealous.

Their supporters have done a fantastic job and deserve our praise, while we have to suffer asset-stripping and firesales, pretty soon they will have a 48% share in a length of fence.*

So leave it, and get on the main board with normal people.

*there are no shares, they are donations!!!

They have closed the donation site now I just realised, so if you want you part of virtual thin air, you've missed the boat.

I wonder what the next form of mugging, I mean fundraising , will be.

They've done shares that aren't shares and even sold virtual grass.

Maybe guaranteed season tickets for life (T&Cs apply)

They have closed the donation site now I just realised, so if you want you part of virtual thin air, you've missed the boat.

I wonder what the next form of mugging, I mean fundraising , will be.

They've done shares that aren't shares and even sold virtual grass.

Maybe guaranteed season tickets for life (T&Cs apply)

Apparently this week a pound in the bucket will buy you a go on 'pin the tail on the donkey'* for the chance to win a virtual carrot!

*There is no tail

**Nor a donkey

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})