Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

2 wins in 8. How are they still within touching distances of the automatic promotion places?

What a awful league they're in.

And don't forget York have lost 8 on the spin. Coupon certainty at the mo like Blackpool were last season. Everyone beats them and if they have 10 men well

Terry the builder, a blast from the past! LOL that he flogged the chairs to a collector, though some sweet justice for him after having to cover the storage for a few years. Let alone the fact that his own club shafted him on payments for his work.

It must be ironic for the skates, getting stitched up by the people who they screwed over so viscously in the very recent past.

PMSL

Is it just me...or are Pompey looking like messing up their one chance to get a joyous promotion to get back to League 1, where Saints had their lowest ranking of modern times?

They definitely aren't making it easy for themselves. If they don't do it this season, I wonder what it will cost them because they must have broken what little money pot they have to get promotion this season.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure that more financially minded among us will confirm) but I do believe that promotion this season is an absolute must otherwise they will struggle once more to pay bills. They can't develop their infrastructure properly now that the stadium has been landlocked and the money available at League Two level surely can't be enough to allow them to maintain a team and also pay for the improvements needed to the kipper shed just to keep it at a bare minimum standard.

I also think it's safe to say that there's going to be a fair amount of head scratching on here if they don't manage it along the line of 'how the f*ck did they manage that?', coupled with a lot of laughter.

Is it just me...or are Pompey looking like messing up their one chance to get a joyous promotion to get back to League 1, where Saints had their lowest ranking of modern times?

They definitely aren't making it easy for themselves. If they don't do it this season, I wonder what it will cost them because they must have broken what little money pot they have to get promotion this season.

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm sure that more financially minded among us will confirm) but I do believe that promotion this season is an absolute must otherwise they will struggle once more to pay bills. They can't develop their infrastructure properly now that the stadium has been landlocked and the money available at League Two level surely can't be enough to allow them to maintain a team and also pay for the improvements needed to the kipper shed just to keep it at a bare minimum standard.

I also think it's safe to say that there's going to be a fair amount of head scratching on here if they don't manage it along the line of 'how the f*ck did they manage that?', coupled with a lot of laughter.

To be fair, just for once, its not just we on this forum who have been saying 'this season or bust' while they've spent their last few seasons in football's bargain basement, they've been saying it themselves and behaving as if they believe it. They seem to have run out of gun runners, chancers and other unsavoury benefactors for the time being, so its anyone's guess how they're funding it

To be fair, just for once, its not just we on this forum who have been saying 'this season or bust' while they've spent their last few seasons in football's bargain basement, they've been saying it themselves and behaving as if they believe it. They seem to have run out of gun runners, chancers and other unsavoury benefactors for the time being, so its anyone's guess how they're funding it

That'll be McInnes and his cronies :)

@RobHarris: League Two clubs paid £1m to agents Oct 2014-Sept 2015. Full details: https://t.co/tJpYxH78Db

P*mpey leading the way again. By some distance.

That is gobsmackingly amazing in a league where transfer fees are rare. Highest in League 2 and only two clubs in League 1 paid more. Its not even like they've signed superstars - big squad and falling away badly atm.

Edited by buctootim

@RobHarris: League Two clubs paid £1m to agents Oct 2014-Sept 2015. Full details: https://t.co/tJpYxH78Db

P*mpey leading the way again. By some distance.

Nothing to worry about. I've just read the comments on the news...

So what, we have had to build a new team from scratch and have the attendances to cover it all the way up to the championship....the point of the story is??

Surely not.......

But then that would mean several things..... Not least of which would be giving this thread a new (hilarious) lease of life.......

There must, logic dictates, be a point when this thread has gathered so much wit and insight that it ends up declaring itself sentient and becomes able to live an independent existence. In which case we shall all have to find something else to laugh at. Now thats a scary thought :(

Wow, that even surprised me and I always assume the worst!

Over £5k a week to agents, when they can't afford to pay a player that sort of money?

Any talk of living within their means ends right there.

268 of the people who donated £1,000 have just seen their money drive straight out of the city and up the A3 in a Bentley, never to be seen again.

And if these agents have discovered that the golden goose is back in business, no wonder their players keep wanting to play for the biggestest club in the land.

Fatpipes is once again laying golden turds and the greedy flies are buzzing around, just like they did back in the days of Storrie and Redknapp.

I'm fairly sure we've already covered off the "concerns" that they're overpaying, the agent fees seem in line with their attendances (including L1 comparisons), the thing to be laughing at is what an absolute balls-up they're making of getting out of a league where they should be able to outspend everyone AND afford to make mistakes and still go up. They're showing all the signs of the recent signings inheriting Overpaid Journeyman Syndrome, which has been their problem when spending more than other teams in the past couple of years.

Basically even skint they have more money than all of L2 (where most teams don't pay for players anyway) and can offer bigger wages than most L1 teams because of their attendances, and despite their expensive to maintain craphole of a landlocked money-sink ground. But everyone they sign goes there for the money and some vague pretence of recent glory, (like me playing for a team which was in the UEFA Cup that season) and gets into a slump from thinking they're better than the league they're in and don't have to try, no doubt fuelled by the delusion all around them. It's frankly bloody wonderful as a self-perpetuating "punching yourself in the face" scenario.

Also, the Reuben Reid thing was a McInnes joke, think there was some bad blood there or something from last season's fixture - as well as him being a good striker in that division.

If rumours are anything to go by they'll have Bolton coming down to join them pretty soon - two sleepy giants living on past glories and locked together in a lower league suicide pact.

But let's not forget, it's proper football down there, Bovril, casual racism and flat caps - not like the nasty Premier League where the teams that spend the most win everything.

Same old Pompey... The words 'leopard' and 'spots' spring to mind.

I'm sure they are the biggestest spenders in the division but I suspect- as no evidence has come to light- that they are still in budget.

The fans share may well have been diluted a bit, to enable the HNWI to dip into their pockets and the Robinson/Tesco payoff may have been used to sustain the spend so it'll be interesting to see what happens to the budget next season if they cock up promotion.

If promotion is gained, there will be plenty of other clubs that can match them in the spending and wages stakes so will they risk an overspend at that stage?

I'm sure they are the biggestest spenders in the division but I suspect- as no evidence has come to light- that they are still in budget.

The fans share may well have been diluted a bit, to enable the HNWI to dip into their pockets and the Robinson/Tesco payoff may have been used to sustain the spend so it'll be interesting to see what happens to the budget next season if they cock up promotion.

If promotion is gained, there will be plenty of other clubs that can match them in the spending and wages stakes so will they risk an overspend at that stage?

By "plenty" I think you overestimate L1 - crowds of 15k put them in the top 2 (behind Sheffield United) based on 2014/15 figures: http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-league-one-2014-2015/1/. They were even 2nd largest in attendance terms when getting relegated in 2012/13 though you'd assume top half rather than bottom 4 would find them more than the 12,232 they averaged then: http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-league-one-2012-2013/1/

They would still have crowds THREE times the size of half the teams in the division.

It does amuse me to be able to say they're "basically Bradford-sized", though when they were falling out of the Prem with £120m debts their presumed non-league future had them as "Wimbledon-sized".

This story is no longer "look how much they're spending", it's "look how poorly they're doing down there despite their resources". At least until they go back to the mid-table second tier side that's their natural modern level (longest serving second tier side in their spell from 1988 until 2002).

Edited by The9

By "plenty" I think you overestimate L1 - crowds of 15k put them in the top 2 (behind Sheffield United) based on 2014/15 figures: http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-league-one-2014-2015/1/. They were even 2nd largest in attendance terms when getting relegated in 2012/13 though you'd assume top half rather than bottom 4 would find them more than the 12,232 they averaged then: http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-league-one-2012-2013/1/

They would still have crowds THREE times the size of half the teams in the division.

It does amuse me to be able to say they're "basically Bradford-sized", though when they were falling out of the Prem with £120m debts their presumed non-league future had them as "Wimbledon-sized".

This story is no longer "look how much they're spending", it's "look how poorly they're doing down there despite their resources". At least until they go back to the mid-table second tier side that's their natural modern level (longest serving second tier side in their spell from 1988 until 2002).

But it's fairly easy to get large crowds when you sell your season tickets for a pittance at the start of the season. The size of their crowds does not reflect their income.

Their biggest problem remains that their ground, at full current capacity for every single match, would still only find them fighting over 6th and 7th best attendance in the Championship: http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2015-2016/1/ and their crowds in the past 5 years see them somewhere between 6th and 22nd in the Championship attendance table.

The last time Saints and Portsmouth were in the same division we were 2nd in attendances and they were 16th: http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-championship-2011-2012/1/

But it's fairly easy to get large crowds when you sell your season tickets for a pittance at the start of the season. The size of their crowds does not reflect their income.

2015/16 ST prices show only a £20 reduction for their 3000-ish Fans' Trust shareholders over the normal price.

ADULT

Post Early Bird: £370

PST Shareholder: £350

Though they do have a "DLA entitlement special concession" rate and we can only imagine how many of them ensure they qualify for that:

SENIOR*/YOUNG PERSON/SPECIAL CONCESSION**

Post Early Bird: £280

PST Shareholder: £265

This is interesting too, Newport charge twice as much to be a Trust member:

When purchasing/renewing your season ticket, you will also have the option to:

a) Become a member of the Pompey Supporters’ Trust for just £5 per annum.

b) Join the Pompey Lottery for just £2 per week with the chance to win thousands.

c) Make a donation of your choice directly to the Pompey Academy.

Read more at http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/tickets/season-tickets/index.aspx#toLoe5zl8jRmJFkQ.99

Edited by The9

2015/16 ST prices show only a £20 reduction for their 3000-ish Fans' Trust shareholders over the normal price.

ADULT

Post Early Bird: £370

PST Shareholder: £350

Though they do have a "DLA entitlement special concession" rate and we can only imagine how many of them ensure they qualify for that:

SENIOR*/YOUNG PERSON/SPECIAL CONCESSION**

Post Early Bird: £280

PST Shareholder: £265

This is interesting too, Newport charge twice as much to be a Trust member:

When purchasing/renewing your season ticket, you will also have the option to:

a) Become a member of the Pompey Supporters’ Trust for just £5 per annum.

b) Join the Pompey Lottery for just £2 per week with the chance to win thousands.

c) Make a donation of your choice directly to the Pompey Academy.

Read more at http://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/tickets/season-tickets/index.aspx#toLoe5zl8jRmJFkQ.99

So about £12 a game then. How does that compare with other lower league clubs?

Though I don't know which figures they're using for this: http://the72.co.uk/28937/how-does-your-team-compare-in-our-league-2-season-ticket-price-guide/ which has the Skates at 17th cheapest in the division (of 23) costing £50 less than it actually does.

Using the "normal price" ST and the other figures on that table, they're actually the second most expensive in the division (for non-PST members or concessions) behind Plymouth, a team who know how to make their monetary advantage count.

So about £12 a game then. How does that compare with other lower league clubs?

It's about what Saints fans were paying for an ST in L1 five years ago. So it is not cheap compared to other STs. The main question is "how many of their ST holders are wangling themselves concession rates of more than £100 less?".

By "plenty" I think you overestimate L1 - crowds of 15k put them in the top 2 (behind Sheffield United) based on 2014/15 figures

OK, perhaps I was being lazy using that phrase. Maybe best to use there are other teams that can make the money go further when competing for promotion or have less yearly expenditure commitments to meet.

Here's your weekly ration of facepalm fodder fellow nutjobs...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-s-status-is-reason-for-ref-justice-1-7092901

POMPEY’s status as a League Two powerhouse is having a negative effect on referees

Cook: "I believe personally that because we are such a big club, it can have a negative effect."

:mcinnes:

Edited by trousers

OK, perhaps I was being lazy using that phrase. Maybe best to use there are other teams that can make the money go further when competing for promotion or have less yearly expenditure commitments to meet.

Well, one of the problems of having a bigger ground than your opponents and more people in it is that it costs more to maintain. Add to that the ancient infrastructure they're forever postponing upgrades to and they have all the usual problems on hold.

Trouble with fans is they want fan stuff like winning matches NOW, and only want fan stuff like a not-dangerous stadium when it's actually directly dangerous to them in person.

Here's your weekly ration of facepalm fodder fellow nutjobs...

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-s-status-is-reason-for-ref-justice-1-7092901

Cook: "I believe personally that because we are such a big club, it can have a negative effect."

:mcinnes:

Aside from the obvious nonsense about referees making decisions for the smaller club which is the total opposite of everything all the cumulative evidence over the past 100 years suggests from football all over the world, I quite like this nonsensical bit:

‘The referee’s reasoning was he (McNulty) was looking for it. My view is that, if there is contact in the box, you are able to look for it.

‘If you are the wrong side as a defender you have to leave the player.

Except there was widespread criticism of the ref for giving a penalty for Swansea's Ayew tripping over his own feet after brushing Bournemouth's Francis a couple of weeks ago, and a similarly ridiculous penalty against Ashley Williams for running into a "balancing on one leg and not trying to run at all" striker a few weeks before that.

So basically, no, it's still not ok to dive if someone makes contact with a player accidentally, in the box or not.

Also amusingly, the picture to illustrate the "foul" seems to show the Skate (in black) fouling the Carlisle player, not the other way around.

268979838.jpg

I'm not going to bother playing it, but I'm very aware, having been there, that we were loud as hell without needing a bloody drum chorus, and they definitely turned the mic levels down from the boom in front of us when I watched it back due to the swears just before kick-off, after they'd had their "tv atmosphere" fix when the teams came out.

I'm not going to bother playing it, but I'm very aware, having been there, that we were loud as hell without needing a bloody drum chorus, and they definitely turned the mic levels down from the boom in front of us when I watched it back due to the swears just before kick-off, after they'd had their "tv atmosphere" fix when the teams came out.

It's worth a watch just for the desperate portsmything going on throughout the video (and reliving Lambert's goal:D) made me laugh anyway.

The Portsmyths are strong on POL. A bit of Pompey maths as well.

So far this season we have put 150,000 more bums on seats at home than our nearest rivals , that is 75% more than Luton

At an assumed average of say £12 a ticket, it also means an additional income of £1,8m over our nearest financial rival.

I've taken a total of 100 school kids along on a couple of school trips, both ended up spending the GDP of a small country on Coke, sweets etc.

We seem to get so many things off the pitch right

most off field stuff is well done, better than a generation have done before and a credit to the management team

We're hardly a bog standard football club, were fan-owned, debt free and operating on a break even basis - one of only 15 out of 72 Football League clubs to do that.

Catlin has said himself his financial projections for L2 and L1 mean we can survive and compete happily in those divisions. To be competitive in the Championship and be able to stay up he said would need additional outside investment.

Probably good for football if Bolton go bust , this madness cannot continue

we shouldn't be alarmed by our spending on agents

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})