Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I'm struggling with the concept and title of that video - "When 2,800 church mice came to Fratton."

I could be wrong but the adjective usually applied to church mice is 'poor.' As in: "As poor as a church mouse."

The saying is not "As quiet as a church mouse."

Numpty couldn't even get that right

Unless he really meant our fans to be penniless.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/pompey/pompey-weigh-up-future-for-second-string-1-7096993

This is an impressive feat of total twazokdom. Their scouse neanderthal admits he took the wrong snap decision when puling the skate reserves team out of their league. Now, they're finding matches hard to organize, but apparently, even if they could organize them, it would ruin the pitch.

:mcinnes:

While surfing youtube I came across this little fun piece posted by a pompey fan....

:lol: no concept of 'where the mics are put'' - the overiding feeling I had watching that was utter pride at the professional way our players dealt with a a load of abuse from chavs and pikey scum. Im sure the neutral wouldn't have watched and thought ' what a lot of passionate bestest fans, hang on Barca aren't playing in their usual colours?!'

Anyone who thinks this thread is dead and it's 'sad' that we obsess about them need look no further than this.

:lol: no concept of 'where the mics are put'' - the overiding feeling I had watching that was utter pride at the professional way our players dealt with a a load of abuse from chavs and pikey scum. Im sure the neutral wouldn't have watched and thought ' what a lot of passionate bestest fans, hang on Barca aren't playing in their usual colours?!'

Anyone who thinks this thread is dead and it's 'sad' that we obsess about them need look no further than this.

'The Barca of L2' - priceless :lol:

Thanks for making me laugh out loud this early in the morning :smug:

Over on POL they are absolutely desperate to avoid us

There are a few comedy gold posts tonight :lol:

I was on the common, but I wasn't there today because I couldn't bothered, and some games I don't bother even tho I got a season ticket

Under 10,000 gate - didn't think it would be as low as that. Indiference and apathy in abundance, a bit sad to see.

the weather forecast was pretty atrocious, opposition have already visited this season

Hope we avoid the scum. Newcastle at home would be a good one, we could give them a run for their money

no way would I want a match with Scum, even for a million quid.

Please not scum or Eastleigh in the 3rd round...just a nice away day where we can take 5000+

Oh, one more post, Corporate Ho, or Banker as he is known, has a message for us nutjobs

In other sad, obsessed freaks news, the mega thread is now saying it's been "well documented" that it's promotion or bust for us this season and if we don't go up we're in massive financial trouble. What drugs are the tinfoil hat wearing conspiracists over there smoking? What massive financial benefit would there be in promotion to L1?

And as I know they all read this forum - hello scummers

Wasn't Einstein who said that the definition of insanity was doing the same thing repeatedly and expecting a different result?

In fairness, they do same thing repeatedly (living beyond their means) and expect the same result (getting away with it). You have to give them credit, it's the one thing (literally) that they are good at.

In fairness, they do same thing repeatedly (living beyond their means) and expect the same result (getting away with it). You have to give them credit, it's the one thing (literally) that they are good at.

No, no I'm pretty sure that history shows they aren't any good with credit either.......

Got a bit of a youtube thing going on at the moment ........ I've decided I like Newport fans :D

Looking at the video and seeing the kit, it's from Newport's first season up, which was 2013/14. Skates actually won this one 2-1 (Newport beat them in the other 2, inc 3-0 in the JPT). It also helps explain why the match at Fratton last season saw a pile of punch-ups before kick off (which I have video of somewhere).

Oh and whilst I'm here I'd like to point out that there are 5 teams in the 3rd Round draw I'm interested in the fate of: Newport, Saints, Eastleigh, Skates and Cardiff. Any combination of that lot playing any of the others will be fun for me in some way.

Edited by The9

There's nothing to suggest they're living beyond their means at the moment.

I suspect they may be JUST within their means with no forward planning for the ground, the future - or the next managerial payoff.

They carry a big squad and talk of cutting it back, they couldn't show a profit despite attendances and they keep asking other people to chip in.

Also I believe the recent figures on agents, supports the theory that they are right on the limits, chucking every penny at the problem and not doing nicely.

I don't see any signs of a club that's financially sound.

Ha, that Alex kid always bites. Usually spouting out "obsessed" yet can't stop talking about us either. Bless him. He's one of those TOWIE wannabe 'lads' who struggles with anyone slightly intelligent, hence he blocked me.

For a long time his Twitter display picture was him standing outside St Mary's wearing a Pompey shirt

Thing is The9, if I earn £1 and only spend 99p I'm technically living within my means. I'm not actually going to get anywhere though and it wouldn't take much for that to no longer be the case.

""Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen and six, result happiness. Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds nought and six, result 'debt-free' Pompey." - (with apologies to Wilkins Micawber)

Thing is The9, if I earn £1 and only spend 99p I'm technically living within my means. I'm not actually going to get anywhere though and it wouldn't take much for that to no longer be the case.

You mean saving for a rainy day? Which might result in their pitch needing re-laying again?

They know there is only one team that will fill Fatpipes.

Sure I'd like to smash them a bit in the cup but it's funnier to begrudge them any income and let them draw a fellow minnow away.

This all the way.

Ipswich is quite a big fish, so it won't look too bad being the pluckiest of losers. Some little northern sh!thole would have been better!!

Why would that be? Also, consider in your example everyone around you is only earning 25p and spending about that as well. Only one of the families in the slightly nicer area are getting more than a quid, and even half the rich kids in the much better area, which you lived in for ages in the 90s but only briefly visited a few years back, are only earning about £1.50, with the rest of them getting £1 as well. It's not until you get to the Premier houses that you definitely can't afford to live with them.

I suspect they may be JUST within their means with no forward planning for the ground, the future - or the next managerial payoff.

They carry a big squad and talk of cutting it back, they couldn't show a profit despite attendances and they keep asking other people to chip in.

Also I believe the recent figures on agents, supports the theory that they are right on the limits, chucking every penny at the problem and not doing nicely.

I don't see any signs of a club that's financially sound.

Speaking of managerial payoffs, the Newport County Fans Trust have been very transparent about sacking Terry Butcher - whatever happened to the PST doing the same with their finances?

Previous Management team

Settlement agreements have been agreed with all three

It has been a difficult period as the contracts were heavily in favour of the previous management team and statutory demands had been issued for the total amount

The club could not afford to meet this demand

The Board engaged with the LMA to agree a settlement where payments were profiled over the termination lengths

Cost of parting is circa £75K

Payments are spread over 12 months for one of the party and 6 months for the other two

Whilst this is still a considerable amount of money for our club the Board still believe it was the correct decision and have negotiated the best deal given the contracts it inherited.

Why would that be? Also, consider in your example everyone around you is only earning 25p and spending about that as well. Only one of the families in the slightly nicer area are getting more than a quid, and even half the rich kids in the much better area, which you lived in for ages in the 90s but only briefly visited a few years back, are only earning about £1.50, with the rest of them getting £1 as well. It's not until you get to the Premier houses that you definitely can't afford to live with them.

Fair point, but how long do you think they are going to be earning £1 for? And only needing to spend 99p?

Fair point, but how long do you think they are going to be earning £1 for? And only needing to spend 99p?

Looking at the attendance figures for L1 and L2 (go back a page or two) they'll be the second biggest club in L1 if they ever get up there, and somewhere between 6th and 22nd in the Championship if they got there (depending on results). The only thing that puts them in a worse position than other clubs is the likelihood that Fratton is a decrepit hole with higher upkeep costs - and now they seem to have stumped up for the most recent embarrassments (tv gantry and flooding being the obvious ones) that's unlikely to be a significant factor until they're filling the place and the wear and tear increases again.

They should be able to get themselves back into the Championship without over-extending themselves - whether they can resist the temptation to overspend when promotion is just within grasp is the key question... and it'll need a level of self-control they've not previously shown their fanbase has. However, they COULD do.

I think your second paragraph sums it all up quite nicely tbh - I don't think they can, the delusions of grandeur will make them want to do what Saints did and push on back up to the Championship straight away (the fan will demand no less of course).

We're either going to be left having to give them some sort of grudging praise for achieving promotion or we'll all be scratching heads wondering how they managed to f*ck it up AGAIN. The thing is, I can see either being likely which shouldn't be the case given their alleged spending power.

I think your second paragraph sums it all up quite nicely tbh - I don't think they can, the delusions of grandeur will make them want to do what Saints did and push on back up to the Championship straight away (the fan will demand no less of course).

We're either going to be left having to give them some sort of grudging praise for achieving promotion or we'll all be scratching heads wondering how they managed to f*ck it up AGAIN. The thing is, I can see either being likely which shouldn't be the case given their alleged spending power.

I can't see any reason they'd get praise for getting out of L2 in 3 years, it's exactly how long I predicted when they got relegated in there in the first place (despite dodging an effective points deduction) and even now they're making quite the pig's ear out of what should be straightforward.

This.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})