Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

So just to clarify, we drew at Arsenal in front of 60,000 the same night that pompey drew at Morecambe in front of 1,399.

They really are living the dream - even though the income from that fixture probably wasn't enough to pay for the players' bicycles, let alone a slap-up roadside squirrel supper on the way home.

#jealous

So just to clarify, we drew at Arsenal in front of 60,000 the same night that pompey drew at Morecambe in front of 1,399.

They really are living the dream - even though the income from that fixture probably wasn't enough to pay for the players' bicycles, let alone a slap-up roadside squirrel supper on the way home.

#jealous

By rights they should have stretched to a badger burger for each of the pluckiest

#jealous

And their official Twitter account has 73,000 followers to our 496,000

#popular

#popular

But every single one of them attends every home match at Fratton Park every week, and travels away as well. Cos' they are the bestest fans in the world.

I do hope pompey's deal with Sports Direct is better than the one that little Rangers were able to negotiate...

A court has just heard that the Scottish minnows have been getting 4p in the pound for every shirt sale - and they have been paying Sports Direct for the retail outlets too!

Rangers don't have the fanbase and they had financial problems and haven't existed for very long so they probably had to sign whatever.

Whereas pompey are in a much better position to negotiate a good deal.

#popular

To be fair though, most of our followers are paid to follow us and are only allowed in as illegal immigrants should they elect to follow us on Twitter. The rest follow us 'ironically'

Those numbers do not show the true necessary statistic to gage support. 'Passion'. Each Pompey follower has at least 32,000 x the passion of a plastic st fairies 'fan'

I've had it on good authority that most of our home game crowds are photoshopped so be careful when challenging the mighty equals to morcambe OK ?

AFC Bournemouth RESERVES!

If you make a full ELEVEN changes to your side before the game, then it is a RESERVE team.

But well done to the phew for securing such a magnificent loss. There truly is no other team that can lose betterer.

Now now, it was only TEN changes (I don't know who had the pleasure of keeping their spot).

Let's not forget they also beat an Ipswich reserve team in the previous round too.

Cheers to Morecambe for Tuesday's hilarity... and also for last Saturday when they lost at home to Newport County.

Just out of interest, I've had an email from Newport's ST this week following the FL's official approval of the fan takeover announcing elections to the Board, are we still waiting for the PST to transparently announce this?

Also, Newport just got a huge windfall from Peterborough selling Conor Washington, which the club has announced "will follow the Exeter model of investing the money 1/3 into the playing squad, 1/3 Academy and 1/3 Infrastructure" (or something like that).

...But apparently it's the Skates have built some kind of club-ownership fan model that everyone is aspiring to.

Newport just got a huge windfall from Peterborough selling Conor Washington, which the club has announced "will follow the Exeter model of investing the money 1/3 into the playing squad, 1/3 Academy and 1/3 Infrastructure"

Not the Skates "borrow money, buy has-beens, go bust, get relegated" model then? They might have to rethink how much they are going to earn from franchising their idea to world football.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-striker-michael-smith-sets-12-win-target-1-7195808

Michael Smith dismissed concerns about homesickness as he set a 12-win promotion target.

Pompey’s deadline day arrival knows his new side have to quickly hit a run of victories if they are to achieve their aim of going up automatically.

And the hitman believes 12 maximums from the final 19 games will be required to make the top three.

Just the 12 wins needed from 19 games then. What could possibly go wrong....

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-striker-michael-smith-sets-12-win-target-1-7195808

Just the 12 wins needed from 19 games then. What could possibly go wrong....

A 63% win rate? - sure, after all they've won 11 from 27 so far (40%) and are on a stellar run of two wins in six. Got to dream, coz if you dont have a dream, how you gonna have a dream come true?

Edited by buctootim

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/globe-gate-was-second-lowest-in-pompey-history-1-7195437

So the attendance was 1,399 with 479 of the very very very bestest meaning there was only 920 home fans.

Now, Morecambe average about 1,550, with at a push about 150 of those being away fans.

So despite the fact the European Super Giants Pompey were in town and it was Morecambes cup final, the home attendance was down by about 35%

Strange one that is. :rolleyes:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/globe-gate-was-second-lowest-in-pompey-history-1-7195437

So the attendance was 1,399 with 479 of the very very very bestest meaning there was only 920 home fans.

Now, Morecambe average about 1,550, with at a push about 150 of those being away fans.

So despite the fact the European Super Giants Pompey were in town and it was Morecambes cup final, the home attendance was down by about 35%

Strange one that is. :rolleyes:

Interestingly(?) the Skates currently have the highest average away attendances in the division. Given that their home crowds are on average twice as large as everyone else in L2, you'd expect that would always be the case. But last season, based on all 23 aways (rather than the sample of 14-ish so far which could be skewed), they were only the 4th largest away following in L2: http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-league-two-2014-2015/2/ behind Luton, Southend and Plymouth.

Interestingly(?) the Skates currently have the highest average away attendances in the division. Given that their home crowds are on average twice as large as everyone else in L2, you'd expect that would always be the case. But last season, based on all 23 aways (rather than the sample of 14-ish so far which could be skewed), they were only the 4th largest away following in L2: http://www.worldfootball.net/attendance/eng-league-two-2014-2015/2/ behind Luton, Southend and Plymouth.

Pretty impressive considering Plymouth have the longest round-trip game in the league (away to Hartlepool) - 100 miles more in the round trip than Portsmouth to Hartlepool.

That's not even taking Portsmouth's massive nationwide following into account!

TBF is massively skewed. If you check the PL we are 2nd for away games and Arsenal are bottom. Pretty sure Arsenal will have taken their allocation for every game and haven't played Bournemouth way yet.

Plus other clubs will get the huge huge attendance from FP whereas they won't.

Anyone who saw amateurs attempting to make pottery on The Generation Game will know how pompey's grand future-shaping is going.

you little beauty. You just don't know how long I've waited to get the opportunity to drop this seamlessly into the thread.

What do you mean. Fred and friends seem to be doing a grand job

[video=youtube;zS1-aoUNBbE]

1min:30 in

Edited by Chez

you little beauty. You just don't know how long I've waited to get the opportunity to drop this seamlessly into the thread.

What do you mean. Fred and friends seem to be doing a grand job

[video=youtube;zS1-aoUNBbE]

1min:30 in

I'd stick to tin pots if I were you Fred...

TBF is massively skewed. If you check the PL we are 2nd for away games and Arsenal are bottom. Pretty sure Arsenal will have taken their allocation for every game and haven't played Bournemouth way yet.

Plus other clubs will get the huge huge attendance from FP whereas they won't.

Bit different in L2 when hardly anyone fills away allocations and the allocation itself isn't a restricting factor. Neither Saints nor Arsenal have gone to AFCB so it isn't relevant in that comparison.

And even the Skates can't claim their home crowds as part of the away calculation. :)

I get your point though, and there have been away attendances published for FL matches for a while, hopefully it's online somewhere.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/fa-chairman-praises-pompey-s-fan-ownership-model-1-7198440

FA Chairman praises Pompey’s fan-ownership model

The 68-year-old was quick to praise the work the south-coast club has done in its proud rebuild from the verge of financial ruin.

I remember Portsmouth coming to Brentford on the day the fans finally took over the club.

‘There was that excitement, so it is really encouraging to see them doing well now.

‘They are having a good season and have recovered from that disastrous period.’

Yes Mr Dyke, it "recovered" because the football authorities were too weak to throw the book at them when they were flouting the financial rules whilst going through 2 (two) administrations in the process. Although, of course, the deluded ones blame the FA for not doing enough to help keep them afloat...

cant belive this mans comments on pompey absolute disgrace what the fa done when pompey needed your nurturing you did sfa oh no you didn't you deemed a few of our owners to be fit and proper well done hope your happy with what you achieved in your time here tata

Thank's Mr Dyke for your comments but when the FA stood and watched portsmouth football club nearly go bust with all the dodgy owners we had.

I don't really care what you think !!..

Just take your nice gold watch ( gift ) and jog on.....

They still don't get it, do they?:mcinnes:

And I'll leave the final words to Mr Dyke...

‘Portsmouth is the biggest fan-owned club and I think it could show the way.'

:lol:

Bit different in L2 when hardly anyone fills away allocations and the allocation itself isn't a restricting factor. Neither Saints nor Arsenal have gone to AFCB so it isn't relevant in that comparison.

And even the Skates can't claim their home crowds as part of the away calculation. :)

I get your point though, and there have been away attendances published for FL matches for a while, hopefully it's online somewhere.

Ok so we are a bigger draw than Arsenal and take more fans and nothing to do with fact we have played a different sample of teams.

2244ab4a357dffe7441708e44a07fa3e.jpg

And point about Bournemouth is that weird that after this weekend's games Arsenal's average will go even lowe.

Edited by whelk

All that table shows is that we've played away at Man United (cap 76k), Arsenal (60k), Man City (55k), Newcastle (55k), Sunderland (48k) and Chelsea (42k).

Arsenal haven't played away at Man United, Man City, Newcastle or Sunderland yet, so their average will increase as a result.

Not quite sure what the point of that table is, really, it doesn't really prove anything, even at the end of the season. You'd actually expect the clubs with smaller stadia to be nearer the top as they'll have one fewer game at a low-capacity stadium to bring their average down.

All that table shows is that we've played away at Man United (cap 76k), Arsenal (60k), Man City (55k), Newcastle (55k), Sunderland (48k) and Chelsea (42k).

Arsenal haven't played away at Man United, Man City, Newcastle or Sunderland yet, so their average will increase as a result.

Not quite sure what the point of that table is, really, it doesn't really prove anything, even at the end of the season. You'd actually expect the clubs with smaller stadia to be nearer the top as they'll have one fewer game at a low-capacity stadium to bring their average down.

Exactly - a nonsense table.

First thing was that I said it was skewed mid-season to begin with. Second thing, I already agreed that point about bigger grounds was valid, and did already say they've been publishing away attendances for a while and I'll be surprised if no-one has compiled them. I thought there was one out there, I also thought someone other than me might go and track it down, but I briefly forgot that I'm the only one who does that kind of stuff. :)

Generally disgraceful conduct unbecoming of a member of... oh wait, he's only a councillor. Just a stupid bastard then. Still absolutely the kind of person I wouldn't want making decisions for the benefit of the majority, even the majority of Portsmouth.

Ah well, this will have to do. Travelling fans as a percentage of home fans. They're 59th of 72 for last season. No figures for Prem sides listed. Rochdale are top with an impressive 20%-ish of all their fans travelling. This was certainly my experience of them in Newport when I was on my way to Swansea v Saints (the sausages and masks game) in 2013/14, though they did get promoted that day so a bit of a blip.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/documents/travelling-fans-as-percentage-of-home-fans549-2598187.pdf

Here's a dig though:

- Fulham’s Craven Cottage was the most popular ground in The Football League for away fans to visit (2,788 visiting fans on average). Milton Keynes Dons was most visited by away fans in Sky Bet League 1 (average of 980 visitors per match) and Oxford United’s Kassam Stadium the most popular away trip in Sky Bet League 2 (an average of 948 visiting fans per match)

Read more at http://www.football-league.co.uk/news/article/2015/football-league-attendance-analysis-2598261.aspx#LALtJIeVotlYvwcR.99

Obviously not the Cup Final they thought they were?

Ah well, this will have to do. Travelling fans as a percentage of home fans. They're 59th of 72 for last season. No figures for Prem sides listed. Rochdale are top with an impressive 20%-ish of all their fans travelling. This was certainly my experience of them in Newport when I was on my way to Swansea v Saints (the sausages and masks game) in 2013/14, though they did get promoted that day so a bit of a blip.

http://www.football-league.co.uk/documents/travelling-fans-as-percentage-of-home-fans549-2598187.pdf

I don't understand why it needs to be expressed as a percentage of anything.

I imagine PFC do indeed have, in absolute terms, the highest or one of the highest away followings in that division. The size of it comparison to their toilet of a stadium is irrelevant isn't it?

If, say, Morecombe's 250 average away following is a higher % of their 2,000 gate than Pompey 's 450 is of the Fratton gate, so what? If one of the Fratton stands was knocked down tomorrow would that suddenly make Pompey's away numbers "better"? It just feels like a meaningless calculation.

Doesn't anyone just publish the average travelling fans per club per season without creating a ratio or % based around it?

Edited by CB Fry

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})