Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Just found a full video of our 2-0 win over them back in 2003. Anyone who ever questions why we should hate them should go to about 5.40 minutes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7lnzlxGhQQ

Pavel Srnicek absolutely comical at 29 minutes, Kamara (Skate) banging on about how awful it was until the replay when he shut up.

39:30 for anyone doubting Brett Ormerod's value...

1:13:30 would be a red card for Smertin nowadays. Kamara talking crap then too.

1:47:00 for the second goal, and Kamara talking even more crap, "not a red card"...

Edited by The9

That night definitely changed a lot of people's perceptions of the vile ****'s for sure. I have a feeling they piped up so much in the minute's silence partially due to their pride being hurt having been spread all over St Mary's St outside the Joiners before the game, however whoever decided to hold the minute's silence was naive at best, incompetent at worst.

Not seen a minutes silence so loaded disrespected and stopped after, what, 25 seconds? Any other examples of that happening? A Celtic game on Remembrance Sunday maybe (not taking a dig at Celtic just the only example I can think of)?

Lovely feeling knowing we smashed the loud mouth *****s on and off the pitch.

That night definitely changed a lot of people's perceptions of the vile ****'s for sure.

Not seen a minutes silence so loaded disrespected and stopped after, what, 25 seconds? Any other examples of that happening?

It didn't have any impact on me at all, I already expected it. Plenty of people thought holding the silence then was a really bad idea.

I would be genuinely surprised if there was more than one moron in our support who'd boo a silence at their place. And as you say, they'd be shut up PDQ.

In one of the first games at SMS there was a minute's silence for one of the Flahaven brothers who died in a car crash (Weston lad thad played a few times for Pompey), there was one bloke shouted "he was a Skate C***" in the Northam near me that was pretty quickly told to pipe down.

That night definitely changed a lot of people's perceptions of the vile ****'s for sure. I have a feeling they piped up so much in the minute's silence partially due to their pride being hurt having been spread all over St Mary's St outside the Joiners before the game, however whoever decided to hold the minute's silence was naive at best, incompetent at worst.

Not seen a minutes silence so loaded disrespected and stopped after, what, 25 seconds? Any other examples of that happening? A Celtic game on Remembrance Sunday maybe (not taking a dig at Celtic just the only example I can think of)?

Lovely feeling knowing we smashed the loud mouth *****s on and off the pitch.

There aren't many but do remember Leeds interrupting Sir Matt Busby's silence at Blackburn by chanting about Don Revie. Batty and Strachan lost it with them and were rightly furious. Leeds are generally decent fans but have always had an element where Man U are concerned.

I was at St Mary's that night in Dec 2003 and there were about 50 of them I'd reckon chanting. No excuse for it but I do remember a lot of letters tbf from Pompey fans to both the Echo and News expressing their disgust and urging the club to ban those caught chanting. My other non-football memory of that night was a certain bookshop owner being banned from SMS for taking a tinkle on the seats. At the league game which followed after (scene of Marian's brilliant goal which I was sat right behind), the Northam and Kingsland North were chanting 'Ding Dong where's your Bell Gone?'. They were totally outclassed in both games - happy days.

Bournemouth are getting away lightly here - the seaplane song about Richard Andrews being killed before the pre-season friendly was even worse IMO.

In one of the first games at SMS there was a minute's silence for one of the Flahaven brothers who died in a car crash (Weston lad thad played a few times for Pompey), there was one bloke shouted "he was a Skate C***" in the Northam near me that was pretty quickly told to pipe down.

I remember that and glad he was told to shut up, appalling manners. Wasn't that the opening of SMS v Espanyol or is my memory playing tricks again?

So what happened to them 'ripping up league two', going on a charge up the leagues and being back in the PL inside three seasons?

Wait has this gone the same way as the building of a super-mega enormo-drome that will put St Mary's to shame and forever cement them has the bestest ever club on the south coast?

Oh well, I'm sure the share dividends they must be enjoying will take the sting out of it

There were 15553 at Fratton for their massive promotional 6 pointer with Bristol Rovers on Saturday. Sounds reasonable but 2795 were away fans, leaving less than 12000 of the bestest rattling around inside the stadium.

TBF 12k in div 2 watching that sh*** every week in a sh*** stadium is a good effort!

There were 15553 at Fratton for their massive promotional 6 pointer with Bristol Rovers on Saturday. Sounds reasonable but 2795 were away fans, leaving less than 12000 of the bestest rattling around inside the stadium.

I've seen attendance given as 17808?

e.g. http://www.bristolpost.co.uk/MATCH-REPORT-Portsmouth-Bristol-Rovers/story-28726841-detail/story.html

Chatting to a skate mate last night. They're giving up already. He said he'd rather win League 2 next year than go up this year when they're not ready.

So there it is lads. They'll win the league next year instead.

oh thank **** for that, I was getting concerned we might never see them go up, but now I can rest assured that they will be back in the big time third division come September 2017.

4 years ago today, Pompey went into administration (again) and the club was liquidated in what I believe was a golden era for this thread.

Nah that wasn't them. That was a different Portsmouth Football Club, one that was run by crooks and ne'er do wells.

From POL

Exactly four years ago today, Pompey entered administration and Trevor Birch was appointed administrator!

It seems like an age ago to me, but thinking back on the huge amount of work undertaken by so many Pompey fans, I am very proud of what we all achieved.

I think all Saints fan are very happy with what Pompey have managed to achieve in those 4 years. Two relegations and two (soon to be three) failed promotion attempts :lol:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/2012/02/17/celtic-boss-neil-lennon-will-want-to-win-spl-by-more-than-10-points-says-ex-star-86908-23754333/

Ramon Vega finds it difficult to comprehend how such a huge organisation could be so badly run and insists this should never have been allowed to happen.

He said: “The situation has been coming for months and potentially years. But I am still surprised. We are not talking about a small club here. We are taking about an institution with millions of fans worldwide. Something has gone badly wrong in terms of managing the financial side of things especially when you consider their annual turnover."

“This isn’t the same as Portsmouth who are a small club with a small fan base and over-exposed themselves when they were in the Premiership."

“I can understand a club like that going into administration but I am extremely surprised it has happened with Rangers given there are 50,000 supporters who go to Ibrox.”

:lol:

Love this classic quote, good ol' Trousers.

Getting a bit nostalgic here, my goodness it has been a brilliant ride, on the show continues to rumble on in the bestest of ways.

Remember this legend?:

Daniel-Azougy-001.jpg?w=620&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&

And what a read:

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/david-conn-inside-sport-blog/2010/feb/03/portsmouth-mark-jacob-premier-league

Though my favourite guys for different reasons, mr 'I want my money back' Balu Chinny and the legendary storrieteller:

Balram-Chainrai_1595308c.jpg

We now have the likes of champagne iain stumbling around, and that scouse nutter who likes a fry up, so there is always hope for more hilarity ahead.

PMSL

From POL

I think all Saints fan are very happy with what Pompey have managed to achieve in those 4 years. Two relegations and two (soon to be three) failed promotion attempts :lol:

No mention of the many ripped off businesses, players etc and the unpaid tax then?............no? .........surprise, surprise :shakey:

Those were funny days!

Had they been wound up we would never have seen them lose at Aldershot, this thread would have died, the Morecambe keeper wouldn't have had his glorious moment in the sun and we would never have learned that Fleetwood is actually a club in the football league.

Yes, they have achieved a great deal.

The 48% donated funding business model really works.

#jealous

There seems to be two different points of view amongst the 'Fratton Faithful'

it seems 51% want to 'Rip Up' through the Leagues to their 'Spiritual Home' of the Championship whilst building a 35,000+ capacity stadium (no 'Soul Less' bowl but a re jig of Fratton Park) whilst maintaining their 'Fan Ownership' arrangement

The remaining 48% want to stay in the Lower Leagues where the enjoyment of 'Proper Football'/'Character Grounds' take precedence over the Money Grabbing excesses and 'Plastic Fans' of the Premiership

it seems 51% want to 'Rip Up' through the Leagues to their 'Spiritual Home' of the Championship whilst building a 35,000+ capacity stadium (no 'Soul Less' bowl but a re jig of Fratton Park) whilst maintaining their 'Fan Ownership' arrangement

The remaining 48% want to stay in the Lower Leagues where the enjoyment of 'Proper Football'/'Character Grounds' take precedence over the Money Grabbing excesses and 'Plastic Fans' of the Premiership

In fairness to them, I really enjoyed our league one days. Maybe it was the first time being the big fish, but I'd like to think it was more about an absence of foreign footballers who are only here for the profile/wage cheque of the premier league, plus the added bonus of not seeing players roll around after every kick on the shin. Good honest football. That said, I wouldn't trade sixth in the premiership under RK for League One........let alone League Two......(I would however trade bottom three premiership under HR for League One).

The 48% will get bored of that in the long run, and stop going altogether, then they'll try to cash out their shares to comical consequences.

The Championship is the bestest league IMO for the humble football fan, though the skates will never compete there. 35K, dont be daft, they cant fill a 21/20/19K (depending on health and safety certificates), they couldn't in the prem, they couldn't in the Champ, they couldn't in L1 and they can't in L2, it's a deluded dream fuelled by envy of their neighbours east and west that they could do so, it's simply nonsense proven by fact.

Look at the competition in the Championship, look at the infrastructure of the clubs, look at the money involved, look at this seasons parachutes. Don't even think about the new money flowing into the division by relegated clubs who will be able to retain the future cash by way of not being a tinpot insolvent money laundering cesspit.

Even if they finally manage to rip up the fourth div, they will be out-scaled in the third tier by numerous clubs on both a financial and infrastructural level. If they fluke it to the Championship, then they at best will yo-yo back to L1. Look at clubs larger than them for examples in the past few seasons, the skates can't compete with those kind of yo-yoer's no matter how much tcwtb p*sses himself.

They are nothing, they should take inspiration from Eastleigh, and look to rebuild, though with the landlock situation they're in it will take generations.

As much as the deluded few don't like it, Moneyfields is still the future for them.

The 48% will get bored of that in the long run, and stop going altogether, then they'll try to cash out their shares to comical consequences.

The Championship is the bestest league IMO for the humble football fan, though the skates will never compete there. 35K, dont be daft, they cant fill a 21/20/19K (depending on health and safety certificates), they couldn't in the prem, they couldn't in the Champ, they couldn't in L1 and they can't in L2, it's a deluded dream fuelled by envy of their neighbours east and west that they could do so, it's simply nonsense proven by fact.

Look at the competition in the Championship, look at the infrastructure of the clubs, look at the money involved, look at this seasons parachutes. Don't even think about the new money flowing into the division by relegated clubs who will be able to retain the future cash by way of not being a tinpot insolvent money laundering cesspit.

Even if they finally manage to rip up the fourth div, they will be out-scaled in the third tier by numerous clubs on both a financial and infrastructural level. If they fluke it to the Championship, then they at best will yo-yo back to L1. Look at clubs larger than them for examples in the past few seasons, the skates can't compete with those kind of yo-yoer's no matter how much tcwtb p*sses himself.

They are nothing, they should take inspiration from Eastleigh, and look to rebuild, though with the landlock situation they're in it will take generations.

As much as the deluded few don't like it, Moneyfields is still the future for them.

They should all read this (if they can) and start to face the true facts but they won't do and we will still have tears of laughter at their expense [emoji106]

I am no supporter of the archetypal Pompey fan (Scummer hater/ proponent of myths) but I do recognise that their potential support is similar to us/Brighton

The problem they face, with their current 'Fans Ownership' profile is the finance conundrum.

They have no chance of improving the very basic 'facilities' on offer at 'The Old Lady' without external financing

Interesting that more than one lower division manager/owner has said that the upper echelons of English football will be out of the reach of lower division clubs due to the massive financial advantage Prem clubs will have even if they are relegated, due to the increased compensation package available to relegated clubs

I am no supporter of the archetypal Pompey fan (Scummer hater/ proponent of myths) but I do recognise that their potential support is similar to us/Brighton

Im not sure about that. I think their catchment area population is smaller than Saints or Brighton as they are hemmed in on all sides. If we were all in the PL (I know, I know) I reckon Pompey would max out at around 24,000 even with a new stadium.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})