Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

We had some Pompey fans in front of us in the home end, around 50 years old. They arrived an hour into the game having been at the pub all day. As we (quite passionately) cheered on our team they promptly announced themselves as Pompey fans and told us to shut up. When carried on cheering for Barnet they offered us a fight and started making calls to pals in the away end. Thankfully one of them was sober and tried to calm down his mates. Lovely bunch. Lovely win.

Taken from Barnet forum just now.

Adam Tungatt ‏@adachops

#BarnetFC had 2557 fans at the game and 1330 were us #pompey fans. And they beat us. Wow . #tinpot

They don't appear to be clever enough to realise what this means in reality.... the mighty Portsmouth are themselves so tinpot and irrelevant these days that even Barnet fans are ambivalent to turning up to watch them.

#tinpotest

Of course the 'Tomato Kid' poster could be a WUM but he also reckons that the Chairman and Manager were sharing a few too many sherberts in the 'Shepherds Crook' in Goldsmith Avenue recently.

Meanwhile rumours abound that one of our ex favourite posters has thrown his toys out of the pram complaining that Pompey are seen as big a fish in League 2 and all the other teams conspire against them

**SENSIBLE POST ON POL ALERT**

"Saw two missiles - probably coins - being thrown from the away end last night and had to listen to my team being booed off the pitch at half-time because they dared to be a goal down.

Two seats in upper Fratton End available for Saturday, please inbox me if interested."

above from a Facebook page of a very well-known Pompey fan. The two seats are hers and her mums. She has had enough and I don't blame her. She cites the bad atmosphere when watching games, both home and away and the enjoyment has gone.

personally cannot stomach the constant referral by Pompey fans on every imaginable media platform as Pompey fans being the best fans in the land and the boasting of how many we took there and how many we had at home - it all smacks of self congratulation & delusion, and believing the self-generated hype. In fact, statistically speaking, as a percentage of our home gate average, our away support is towards the bottom six in Lge 2. We have no reason to assume we are the best at anything, never mind being the "best" fans - whatever that means.

simple matter is Pompey fans are just like any other clubs' fickle fans, especially in this day and age where its success or sacked NOW. there's been numerous reports of the team being booed at FP, both at half time and full. There's been numerous reports at various games of the coin throwing, the punch ups amongst our own.

it's very noticeable just how quickly Cook has come under fire for his tactics, his signings, his media interviews and so on cos we had the temerity to lose a couple of games in a row. I'm no fan of Cook but I am of stability. He has got to be given time to entirely mould the team and club into a winning mentality mode, reversing years of the losing & self-pitying mentality both on and off the pitch.

He's almost there as we've only lost 6 in 31 but the fans have in my opinion to grasp it's a work-in-progress. As it happens I believe the team is of sufficient quality to get promoted as it is. I will carry on doing so until it is mathematically impossible.

If it turns out we don't get promoted then we will next season - as has been my thoughts for every season since 1962 - its what football fans do - dream. Never usually happens of course but when it does it's worth the wait.

Of course the 'Tomato Kid' poster could be a WUM but he also reckons that the Chairman and Manager were sharing a few too many sherberts in the 'Shepherds Crook' in Goldsmith Avenue recently.

Meanwhile rumours abound that one of our ex favourite posters has thrown his toys out of the pram complaining that Pompey are seen as big a fish in League 2 and all the other teams conspire against them

EX favourite poster?

His posts still cause me much merriment.

Favourite ex poster maybe.

Blimey. Im not surprised she's hacked off with Pompey crowd. She wont fit in down there at all.

Let's be honest though for a moment- that's a pretty sad decision to be forced to take for any fan of any club. And purely down to the behaviour of fellow fans.

I hope they find whoever is throwing coins at matches and ban them for life- there is absolutely no justification for it whatsoever.

Have to say that I also agree with the sentiment of that sensible POL poster- the 'bestest' carping on about how 'best' they are really is very tiring when a moments analysis proves that they don't particularly attend any more than any other fan of any other club

Let's be honest though for a moment- that's a pretty sad decision to be forced to take for any fan of any club. And purely down to the behaviour of fellow fans.

I hope they find whoever is throwing coins at matches and ban them for life- there is absolutely no justification for it whatsoever.

Have to say that I also agree with the sentiment of that sensible POL poster- the 'bestest' carping on about how 'best' they are really is very tiring when a moments analysis proves that they don't particularly attend any more than any other fan of any other club

About 2 months ago I had a conversation with a female work colleague who supports that lot and she said the same basically just didn't enjoy going anymore and nothing to do with the football - more the people. Quite sad really.

Talking of coin throwing I completely forgot 1 of the 2 times I've been hit by a coin was on my way from Fratton Station to the ground. Right in the side of the head and drew blood. So it's been in their fanbase for a very long time.

The other time was at Burnley. A pound coin hit me in the knee.

Talking of coin throwing I completely forgot 1 of the 2 times I've been hit by a coin was on my way from Fratton Station to the ground. Right in the side of the head and drew blood. So it's been in their fanbase for a very long time.

The other time was at Burnley. A pound coin hit me in the knee.

Christ they were in so much debt but were still throwing money away

Agents fee's for league two in the last two years.

Accrington Stanley - £0

Barnet - £29,987

Bristol Rovers - £28,392

Cambridge United - £84,091

Carlisle United - £34,924

Crawley Town - £15,750

Dagenham & Redbridge - £700

Exeter City - £19,560

Hartlepool United - £0

Leyton Orient - £136,642

Luton Town - £43,374

Mansfield Town - £15,335

Morecambe - £17,852

Newport County - £10,205

Northampton Town - £31,758

Notts County - £71,086

Oxford United - £40,565

Plymouth Argyle - £32,260

Portsmouth - £268,175

Stevenage - £7,495

AFC Wimbledon - £26,700

Wycombe Wanderers - £10,261

Yeovil Town - £55,807

York City - £27,000

Not sure what surprises me more. The fact that they've paid that much more than anyone else or the fact that they've actually paid.

Edited by Shance

Agents fee's for league two in the last two years.

Not sure what surprises me more. The fact that they've paid that much more than anyone else or the fact that they've actually paid.

I'd imagine £268,175 is probably just 0.04% of the total due.

Yeah but isn't their total so high due to one player? (Who I think turned out to be a bit rubbish- shock horror)

Something like that anyway.

I guess what amazes me the most is that they really should be capable of winning this league but they just don't seem to be able to construct a squad of players to do it comfortably. I'm not that surprised - who would want to play in front of a pack of baying idiots who turn violent when results don't go their way?

I question what resources they actually have - most of the players they are getting in are loans rather than buys.

Wallace I think.

Certainly this is the player many Pompey fans are mentioning as affecting the amount of money spent on Agents.

These fans see it as a positive as Agent involvement apparently contributed towards an increased fee for Jed Wallace (how this works has not been explained)

All the information available on the fee paid by Wolves (who have subsequently moved the player on to Millwall on loan) seems to give a fee paid at around £250/£275k not the £1m promoted by some Pompey fans.

Assuming the lower fee is correct then the sale of Wallace just about covered Agents fees for the year

Regardless of whether it's for one player, and may or may not have prompted a sizeable fee, the amount they have spent on agents is still shocking compared to the rest of the division, and double the next highest club, Leyton Orient.

No doubt, it will be another figure they can point at and in their warped, deluded minds claim it marks them out as a big club to spend that much on agents fees.

Certainly this is the player many Pompey fans are mentioning as affecting the amount of money spent on Agents.

These fans see it as a positive as Agent involvement apparently contributed towards an increased fee for Jed Wallace (how this works has not been explained)

All the information available on the fee paid by Wolves (who have subsequently moved the player on to Millwall on loan) seems to give a fee paid at around £250/£275k not the £1m promoted by some Pompey fans.

Assuming the lower fee is correct then the sale of Wallace just about covered Agents fees for the year

As always the figures don't stack up! Wallace had a release clause of around £250K, that is what the skates got for him.

The mind boggling agents fee figures compared to their League 2 piers is to do with signing all the 'bestest' players on loan or heavy contracts. If they fall short this season it will be a spectacular failure of epic proportions with all of that cash going to agents.

And let's not forget the wage bill, far far eclipsing their League 2 piers.

They may be joint top on points difference, but they're bottom of the league in wage to points.

In terms of agents brown envelopes, as always they're the undisputed and outright leader.

They do cheer me up in the mornings, might even have a bacon roll with tomato sauce in honour of the prolific FO poster.

PMSL

If you check their forum one poster suggests the high agent fees is sign of wrongdoing from the board, to which others reply that other clubs are more suspicious because they're "keeping the figures off the books". No, they just haven't paid that much to agents...it's league 2, i'd imagine a lot of players represent themselves.

The huge figure is explained away by the transfer of England starlet-in-waiting Jed Wallace.

Total agent fees paid across the whole squad including the new management and coaching team - £268k

Wallace transfer fee - £275k

Agent fee on that deal - £25k?

Another portsmyth crushed.

I'm just starting to wonder whether the figures add up...

I was going to say- unless Wallaces agent was on a stupid fee, it still doesn't fully explain such a hefty figure.

And I shall echo others thoughts- if they really have spent that much on fees while getting players in (most of whom are on LOAN don't forget) and they don't achieve promotion this year........ Just....wow! If there was ever an example of mismanagement that would be it.

I mean they've been providing wonderful examples of how not to manage a football club up until now, but this really would be a definitive show of incompetence which it would be hard to beat

I was going to say- unless Wallaces agent was on a stupid fee, it still doesn't fully explain such a hefty figure.

The Wallace transfer would almost certainly come under Wolves' agent expenditure, not Pompey's. Unless a club is actively looking to sell a player, they don't tend to pay an agent when they sell.

Don't forget the £150,000 compensation that was paid to Chesterfield for the best Head Coach outside the Champion's League. That's closing in on half a million total.

Every little helps, eh?

Is that the Chesterfield Arms sunday 2nd eleven from the tinpot league division four?

The Wallace transfer would almost certainly come under Wolves' agent expenditure, not Pompey's. Unless a club is actively looking to sell a player, they don't tend to pay an agent when they sell.

Steve

I must admit that's what I thought about who would be responsible for the Agents fee

Speaking to a Wolves fan I know there appears to be some uncertainty about the fee paid

Generally accepted that there was a release clause of £250/£275k but Jez Moxey the Wolves Chairman apparently told a supporters group that the actual fee paid was 'well in excess of that'

Quite what that meant no one seems to know

http://fansonline.net/portsmouth/mb/view.php?id=622480

Bless. That's literally the only argument they can give, sounds like their current predicament is really grating at them. The two clubs are absolutely worlds apart, back in the reality of the present day. Major lols at lumping their championship 2003 title in with their 2 league wins in the late 40's. Kinda pathetic actually

Whilst we're winning at Chelsea and Man Utd, they're losing at the likes of Barnet. It's all rather funny and their delusions make this thread all the more worthwhile.

Not only that, but it took us 3 years from getting promoted to better their all-time Premier League finish, without the cheating.

WTFILN? It certainly isn't them.

Oh dear.....post of the year surely from an angry skate......

"If you had the terrible misfortune that we've had, your club would be long gone, luck has kept you going for too long, about time your useless club died."

Terrible misfortune.....dear oh dear. Still feeling sorry for themselves. I fail to see how still existing after having millions pounds of debt literally written off is terrible misfortune. Major Lols all round.

Oh dear.....post of the year surely from an angry skate......

"If you had the terrible misfortune that we've had, your club would be long gone, luck has kept you going for too long, about time your useless club died."

Why is he talking about his own club in that way?

No no wait, it's just been bettered by this absolute gem

"If you really think about the current PL season, this should have been the trophy dodgers big big chance, but they blew it.

All of the big teams underperforming, with spurs doing a bit better than normal, and Leicester of course having a right go with spirit and dynamism. This PL season has almost been a tipping point with so many 'big' players just not showing up, it's almost as if they have got so much money, and such a glamorous lifestyle, that they are looking down at all the 'lesser teams' who are financially so far behind, that many of their players feel that all they have to do is turn up to pick up all 3 points.

It's almost as if complacency has become the great leveller, but sadly for the dodgers they sold so many of their assets through sheer greed that the very season when they had a great chance they are playing catch up again after rebuilding yet another team.

If they had only turned up in greater numbers at St Charity's the management could have been thinking about expanding their stadium.

Oh well, rebuild again next year, Koeman will probably be off, and West Ham, Spurs, Liverpool etc will all be in much bigger stadiums. They are getting left behind, and they know it."

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})