Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Mounted police brought in to break up rival fans in flared trousers and big collars swapping punches in the street, sideburns and racist taunts at ten paces.

Was that 1970?

Maybe 1971?

Good guess, but it was today.

Having seen the pitched battles in the street for 10 minutes with the County fans outside the Brewers Arms exchanging punches with the Skates from the Milton Arms last year, we didn't see any trouble today - possibly because we went in the Milton Arms. There were a load of mounted police outside the station. The bus we got on towards Gunwharf took nearly as long to get between the ground and the station along Goldsmith Avenue as Saints fans did in 2003/4 (when the Skates had overturned a car in the petrol station and there were 2000 of them outside the ground to meet us 20 minutes after kick off with the match live on tv), so I accept we might have missed the silliness.

Personally I haven't enjoyed myself so much since Arnhem. (I also missed the trouble by a couple of minutes whilst sh11tfaced there).

Edited by The9

Best tweet tonight:

@officialpompey referee was a ****ing disgrace!!!!!!

Because the ref must have been responsible for all three goals and denying the skates any

I'd have to see it all again because pretty much everything of note happened at the other end, but the red card was inevitable after they conceded so many midfield fouls early on. The fact it came for a dive when they were already 1 down just added to the enjoyment. Only their number 8 didn't get a card, I think. Newport were nothing special, they just didn't make any mistakes, whilst the first goal was entirely the Skate keeper just assuming he'd get a free kick for an aerial challenge and getting outjumped.

Their fans were entirely comical in both appealing for everything and getting very furious about not getting stuff that clearly weren't fouls.

Ok, so this is Fratton at around 85 minutes. There were 16,000-ish there at kick off.

1097286_10153409342101931_5262296397087823597_o.jpg

Well I'm sorry but I simply don't believe you.

Portsmyth #54 clearly states that the bestest football ground in the country is always full of the bestest fans there ever was from a week before kick off to three days after.

You must have photoshopped this.

I'd have to see it all again because pretty much everything of note happened at the other end, but the red card was inevitable after they conceded so many midfield fouls early on. The fact it came for a dive when they were already 1 down just added to the enjoyment. Only their number 8 didn't get a card, I think. Newport were nothing special, they just didn't make any mistakes, whilst the first goal was entirely the Skate keeper just assuming he'd get a free kick for an aerial challenge and getting outjumped.

Their fans were entirely comical in both appealing for everything and getting very furious about not getting stuff that clearly weren't fouls.

I'm waiting for a variation on the following words turning up:

Ref

Cup final

Bottled it

Game

Too big

Best tweet tonight:

@officialpompey referee was a ****ing disgrace!!!!!!

Because the ref must have been responsible for all three goals and denying the skates any

I'm assuming that's not the actual Official Pompey that tweeted that?!

I'm waiting for a variation on the following words turning up:

Ref

Cup final

Bottled it

Game

Too big

They should probably consider that Newport completely outplayed them 11v11 as well, that they never managed to create anything, and that at no point before injury time did Portsmouth trouble Joe Day in the County goal with anything other than grasscutters straight at him. Basically they have an attack and midfield full of direct runners and either none of them have the finesse to play a decent through ball or their striker(s) didn't have the nous to make runs to trouble the defence. As I mentioned earlier the most worrying things the County defence had to deal with were from their own misplaced passes when Portsmouth were already in behind the central midfielders, they didn't really threaten the goal other than that. Newport also completely carved Portsmouth open a couple of times and I have no idea how Wilkinson couldn't finish from 6 yards out with an open goal at 3 up.

Oh, and the crowd was non-existent in terms of atmosphere to the point that County fans were taking the rise out of two specific people in the home seats for standing up and getting annoyed in amongst the hordes of no-one else being bothered.

And of course half of them left when the third went in on 87 minutes - so the photo above was from about the 88 or 89th minute once I'd finished madly hugging anyone within a 3 yard radius.

Edited by The9

Lolage, just seen the highlights on 5. Absolutely nothing wrong with the goal, the County goalscorer just stands there and the ball goes in off his back, the keeper jumps into him and falls on the floor. The yellow card for the hilariously obvious dive was spot on too - and as I mentioned, for a player who didn't get a yellow for pulling someone back before his first yellow (which should have already been his second).

From watching a slow-mo of the first goal, not a single Skate appealed for the foul, but a couple put their heads in their hands as the ball went in.

Also hilarious, the Newport fans who decided to celebrate Scott Boden's unmarked header for the second goal before he'd even headed it, it was so obvious he was going to score. :D

The9 , did you see TCWTB & his merry men . You've given us an update on the new toilets , has Westwood updated his deodorant

The wife said she could hear the bell, I was too busy yelling to notice. They were at the other end if they were there. There was a "ding dong" song from the County fans but they started that in Jena a couple of years ago and it hasn't got anything to do with Westwood - unlike the "Where's your old man with the bell?" song.

I enjoyed myself today, I even enjoyed the thicko County fans secretly smoking in the loos... whilst about 20 of their peers lit up on the steps next to the away end outside in full view of the stewards without a word being spoken, because, well, it's basically outside already isn't it? Daft sods.

"Don't think I will be renewing my ST next year as don't want to be associated with the way our fans treat our players at the slightest hint of adversity."

If they're still in the 4th division next season, I reckon he won't be the only one. Surely the phew's patience must be running low now. I'm beginning to get worried about their cash flow situation. If they don't go up this season, how will they be able to pay their bills? :?

"Don't think I will be renewing my ST next year as don't want to be associated with the way our fans treat our players at the slightest hint of adversity."

If they're still in the 4th division next season, I reckon he won't be the only one. Surely the phew's patience must be running low now. I'm beginning to get worried about their cash flow situation. If they don't go up this season, how will they be able to pay their bills? :?

Pay their bills? Do I detect a hint of irony in their somewhere?

won't be needing them shades on yet Nicky boy when admiring your gong room,:smug:
I don't think the silver polish rep will be banging on either of our clubs doors Mack, although your trophies are so tarnished that you will need industrial brillo pads to get any shine on your last FA cup.

Anyway I think that the weekend has been not too bad considering your assent to glory came to a halt

"Leaving early - entirely the choice of the individual, in my opinion. Not something I have done, though I have been tempted, Does it make you a bad fan? No of course it doesn't. Does it have a detrimental effect on the team? Yes. But there is also something else isn't there, that makes a walk-out of Pompey fans just that little bit more antagonistic. Many of those people walking away in disappointment,disgust, hurt, pain, frustration or any of the other relevant emotions, are also the shareholders - they are the clubs owners. And the players and the management know it. And if you were at work and the 'owners' of the business got up and walked out for negative reasons and in objection to what you were doing, you'd soon sort it out."

I don't know about you lot, but if I worked for that tattooed d1ck head with a bell.... well I'd think of that as rock bottom and look for another job :lol:

Cook: "we're a L2 team with L2 players. I'm a L2 manager and with that you get inconsistencies"

You also get stuck in Lg2. Im no expert but dont you need some Lg1 players and a manager with as bit of ambition and ability to get promoted?

"Leaving early - entirely the choice of the individual, in my opinion. Not something I have done, though I have been tempted, Does it make you a bad fan? No of course it doesn't. Does it have a detrimental effect on the team? Yes. But there is also something else isn't there, that makes a walk-out of Pompey fans just that little bit more antagonistic. Many of those people walking away in disappointment,disgust, hurt, pain, frustration or any of the other relevant emotions, are also the shareholders - they are the clubs owners. And the players and the management know it. And if you were at work and the 'owners' of the business got up and walked out for negative reasons and in objection to what you were doing, you'd soon sort it out."

I don't know about you lot, but if I worked for that tattooed d1ck head with a bell.... well I'd think of that as rock bottom and look for another job :lol:

AWOOGA! AWOOGA!

Portsmyth detected!

When will the skates finally realise that they own nothing of Portsmouth Community Football Club? That they paid a donation, they did not purchase a share.

This just gets better and better

It's also rapidly coming to the point where they are going to be relying on results from other teams going their way and I'm sure that will go down really really well with the bestest.

Some people on here need to be reminded that we aren't Brussia Dortmund and learn their XXXXXXing place.

What is it the scummers say? 'Bestest ever fans'?

Some might think we look like *****s for walking out early, not singing 90 minutes solid, "behaving like a customer", not applauding the team after a turgid display, but what is really embarrassing is the sheer number of people who are deluded enough to see us as a super race of supporters, conceited enough to think other sets of fans give a flying XXXXXX about us and our so called quality, and fail to recognise the motivating value of scorning poor performances by booing them and walking out in protest.

Sometimes I look at this behaviour and the way so many people were taken in for the same con so many times and think we must be right up there for carrying some of the most thick supporters in the land

One of them gets it

You also get stuck in Lg2. Im no expert but dont you need some Lg1 players and a manager with as bit of ambition and ability to get promoted?

No - just a gravelly coarse scouse accent, sweat a lot during the game, and appear for interviews with a tie undone and slacking... before faking indignation ( or lets just say anger so any skates reading this can understand it) at any questions about the shortcomings of the bestest team L2 has ever had.

O, and an unhealthy diet at a greasy egg and spoon on the seafront for boosting morale and bonding.

Police horses?! Have we ever seen them at st. Marys with crowds twice the size, or is just that The9 is a ringleader of the very dangerous Newport firm?

These horses I believe came down from Thames Valley for the match, take into account, transport, Police riders etc Who is actually paying for this?

I also believe the horses were there against Oxford?

I just had a thought, are the Police horses a good luck charm?

These horses I believe came down from Thames Valley for the match, take into account, transport, Police riders etc Who is actually paying for this?

I also believe the horses were there against Oxford?

I just had a thought, are the Police horses a good luck charm?

Hampshire and Thames Valley have a lot of joint operations nowadays. Probably wouldn't have cost much at all.

https://www.wow247.co.uk/2016/03/14/words-phrases-portsmouth/

Apparently you only hear these words in Pompey. I work here and just asked a few locals. Apparently they consider 'Mush' a "scummer word" though. And obviously they don't use Skate anymore.

Some I've never heard in the 5-6 years I've been here and some I've heard in every town and city I've ever been to.

https://www.wow247.co.uk/2016/03/14/words-phrases-portsmouth/

Apparently you only hear these words in Pompey. I work here and just asked a few locals. Apparently they consider 'Mush' a "scummer word" though. And obviously they don't use Skate anymore.

Some I've never heard in the 5-6 years I've been here and some I've heard in every town and city I've ever been to.

Sounds like something out of Brass Eye.

Cook: "we're a L2 team with L2 players. I'm a L2 manager and with that you get inconsistencies"

Reality dawns

They're not inconsistent, they're consistently unable to break teams down because all they can do is run with the ball and that works best on the counter. Newport weren't even THAT defensive.

Mrs The9 has some hefty hands on her :thumbup:

Funnily enough every time I shake hands with my mate pictured here, I tell him he has small hands. :)

She was pleased enough when it went viral, which fortunately didn't use the original tagged pic. I spent a little while on some Saints Facebook pages whilst drunk on Saturday night digging back at Skates who decided it was "sad" - bearing in mind they were trawling a Saints fan page even I didn't know about to have that opinion.

I'm the one with hair who isn't a girl btw. And why yes, we were sodding about.

They stuck to our heads with pretty much no help. We took one a couple of years ago too. Oh, and there are a few of the wife either wearing or waving her "Born to be a Saint" t-shirt at Fratton station and in the ground.

They're such a contradiction, one minute they (OK, it's mainly their 657 types) pretend to be all Millwall-wannabes with that scratchy mockney, the next they're banging on about how they all traditionally talk like Gypsies :lol:

"Alroight", "loike", you hear it all the time down there, They're so confused.

The Spinnaker design is based on a Southampton invention, the block of posh flats nearby was designed to look "loike" the QE2's funnel and "mush" is a good old Southampton phrase. They love us.

Forgot to mention, during my time getting a taxi around Fratton before the match, we managed to get stuck in two-way one-way traffic (double parked, one car width to manoeuvre two directions of traffic along the entire road) on three separate occasions, one time the gridlock being resolved by a police van, and one time involving our taxi casually reversing into another car.

Previous car-based visits to Portsmouth have also encountered this interesting attitude to giving way to oncoming traffic which has priority, including once being yelled at by a woman who was attempting to drive onto the roundabout I was already on, and once being expected to back up about 150 yards of double-parked traffic on my way to the greyhound track (never again) by some bonehead who'd decided the oncoming car was no match for his ability to block the entire road by pulling out when he had been happily out of the way up until that point, watching me drive the 150 yards towards the empty road alongside him until he pulled out.

In summary, it's not just football.