Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Notts County are absolutely terrible at the moment, and of course having scored an early goal for once, the Skates were able to pick them off with their "hope plan A works" counterattacking game. Looking comfortable for the playoffs now, hopefully to lose to Accrington over two legs. :D

From POL

Is it me or are we getting mixed messages from various board members on this issue..? On the Thursday football hour Mark Trapani was saying that there would be more spending on FP and a 'survey' is due to be conducted around Fratton Park about more works to be carried out. I'm pretty sure either Iain McInnes or Mark Catlin said that that FP was nearly upto date with the 'necessarys' and now we were in the 'nice to haves' stage. I know there is the issue around the Milton End but Trapani didn't say the survey was for that reason.

It may be my misunderstanding of something but there does seem different spins or messages coming out re ground upgrades when for me we should be firmly in the realms of spending on players .. is FP not on an even keel now re safety and necessary maintenance.?

From POL

No, the work has all been done. Really it has. Because the temporary limited capacity that was introduced three years ago for just one game...

Following discussions with Portsmouth City Council, that have taken place over the last few months and are still ongoing, Pompey's capacity has been temporarily set at 18,200 for Saturday’s fixture with Oxford United.

Chief executive Mark Catlin said: “Although this is naturally disappointing news, it's important that supporters are aware we have worked tirelessly behind the scenes with Portsmouth City Council for the last three months to actually get the capacity to the figure that has been set for the Oxford fixture.

“I must stress that this is a temporary reduction and that we are already in the process of preparing a robust schedule of works to enable us to once again increase our capacity up to previous levels.

...has been removed and the full capacity has been reinstated. But the club are keeping that secret, obviously, because they don't want people to know. Otherwise they'll all be wanting to buy more tickets.

Can anyone remind us about the Tesco money?

The seven? figure sum - anyone know how much that was? Was it ever revealed or published in their accounts? Have they still got the money and is it being saved for stadium redevelopments or to build a new stadium or have they blown the lot on champagne and canapés?

Pompey fans being their usual magnanimous selves...

Fair play to the Dons fans reminding the skates of their disgraceful past, including waterlogged pitch postponements!

That's a real shame, live on Sky games are nice little earners for the lower league clubs. Champagne Iain was planning to settle the bar bill with the TV money, along with paying the tab at the greasy spoon.

From POL

I reckon Wimbledon thought it might be embarrassing for their rough house tactics to be broadcast live on Sky getting public exposure. Much better for them to do it on a quiet Tuesday night well away from the spotlight.

Sky obviously influenced the decision

the club should look into it because something is not right here.

I actually blame Wimbledon for this rather than Sky. Should have covered the pitch. Have caused no end of problems with this game being called off.

More reason why we need to get out of this league and the amateurish clubs that surround us.

I partially think it was a cynical ploy by them. Jam up the fixtures later on in the season and get some players and form back. Was quietly confident this morning.

Would have been a great opportunity to apply the pressure on the 3 above us. Now Wycombe and Leyton Orient have the opportunity to do that to us, whilst Rovers, Plymouth and Accrington have an opportunity to extend their advantage.

Complete joke.

:mcinnes:

Looking at today's fixtures Wycombe should end the day above them and Orient level on points (with a worse goal difference). Can't see Notts County or Hartlepool putting up too much resistance.

Skates remaining fixtures are a mixed bag:

Carlisle (H)

Dag/Red (A)

Plymouth (H)

York (A)

Wycombe (H)

Hartlepool (A)

Northampton (H)

[Wimbledon (A)]

Basically they have three very winnable aways against poor teams and three loseable homes against good ones, plus Wimbledon A tba and Carlisle who are midtable and have nothing much going on.

So prob going to get themselves about another 12-ish points, which would give them 75, enough for 5th or 6th for the past 5 years or so. Then it's down to whether they can beat the likes of Plymouth/Bristol Rovers, Accrington, Wycombe/Orient over two legs, which as we know will be funny if they can't.

It's a conspiracy by led by Sky, didn't you know?

Tbh if I were unfortunate enough to be a skate I'd be more worried about the teams all the way down to 14th, any one whom could mount a late charge to get into the playoffs. They re only 2 poor results away from dropping out of the playoffs.

They should be comfortable, they should do it and if they do manage the playoffs and gain promotion, fair play because that is not easy to do down there. However we've seen them snatch defeat from the jaws of victory many times over the past few seasons.

In fact if you look at their run in, they are playing two teams that could catch them, two teams looking to get out of the relegation zone a team only just in the automatic promotion spots and the league leaders. The only other team - Hartlepool are mid table so you could argue that game doesn't count. However it could do for Portsmouth by the time they play them.

That is not an easy run in and there's plenty of scope to get it wrong. Draws won't be enough, they need at least 9 points in the bag and soon to be sure of a play off spot.

A post on POL:

A few snippets of info from a recent supporter's meeting with Iain McInnes:

The Trust have spent £1.4m on improvements to the stadium so far, largely from the Tesco money but also partly from the club's other income.

He believes any new facilities should be for home fans, and he doesn't intend to move away fans from the Milton End, which means the Milton isn't a priority for redevelopment.

Looking at today's fixtures Wycombe should end the day above them and Orient level on points (with a worse goal difference). Can't see Notts County or Hartlepool putting up too much resistance.

Skates remaining fixtures are a mixed bag:

Carlisle (H)

Dag/Red (A)

Plymouth (H)

York (A)

Wycombe (H)

Hartlepool (A)

Northampton (H)

[Wimbledon (A)]

Basically they have three very winnable aways against poor teams and three loseable homes against good ones, plus Wimbledon A tba and Carlisle who are midtable and have nothing much going on.

So prob going to get themselves about another 12-ish points, which would give them 75, enough for 5th or 6th for the past 5 years or so. Then it's down to whether they can beat the likes of Plymouth/Bristol Rovers, Accrington, Wycombe/Orient over two legs, which as we know will be funny if they can't.

Carlisle are well in the play off mix after yesterday's win over B Rovers and have a game in hand. That would have helped the skates had Plymouth not won. Carlisle have a strong squad after their cup runs so will be dangerous opponents and despite the distance will bring a few fans. The Plymouth game is massive for both clubs and can see Hampshire Police being busy that day as Argyle will fill their allocation I'd have thought.

D&R and York really ought to be 3 points for them but Wycombe are a tough outfit to beat and score against away as Plymouth found out recently in a niggly 1-0 to Wycombe at Home Park. Northampton will probably be home and dry by then so depends how up for it they are but AFC Wimbledon away is a banana skin. Hartlepool will be safe.

I make it 4 wins, a draw and 2 defeats - which would be good enough for the play offs but not good enough for automatic.

Considering there's always a form team in there like a Carlisle, Stanley, B Rovers or Leyton Orient, could be unpredictable for the skates. Wouldn't be surprised if they won their away leg and then messed it up at the Rusty Fortress.

I don't think you should discount the potential banana skin of both teams currently in the relegation zone. D&r are probably dead and buried however York could still save their league place if they can put together some results however I don't think either team are going to stop trying especially since there is a certain 'f*ck you' element to screwing up another teams season which provides teams with a lift on their way down

lets play - Guess which famous football manager said this

"The players did their best. We all did our best but what can you do? I've been here five or six days, what can you do?

"The players are the players, I can't suddenly bring in Ronaldo. It is what it is. They tried their best but they were beaten by a better team."

It's a toughie , I grant you that, so who is saying basically that it is not my fault, it is everyone elses.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})