Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Allen's postmodern phase:

"The tannoy announcer marked the historic occasion by dancing none too daintily on my desk.

Thankfully, the neighbouring laptop’s well-being was preserved, even if it was already receiving a finger bashing by way of frantic re-writing.

Morecambe still hurts."

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/the-freak-moment-so-costly-to-pompey-s-promotion-dream-1-7393241

"The tannoy announcer marked the historic occasion by dancing none too daintily on my desk.

I read that on my (small) phone earlier as "The tranny announcer marked the historic occasion by dancing none too daintily on my desk". That would have been a better story.

Edited by buctootim

Why would they need to sell their best player?

Lord knows we know how difficult it is to keep players if their heads wander off to another club, and we may yet find it difficult to hold on to Wanyama and Mane.

But we don't need to sell, to either fund team building or - perhaps - to keep the wolf from the door.

The fact that Webster is being flogged for either of the above reasons hints the HNWIs are not prepared to dip their hands in their pockets.

The really funny thing is they think Jack Whatmough is the answer.

Yes, the same Whatmough who was the pivot of the p****y defence in this.

The same Whatmough who spent a spell on loan at Havant this season, and did so well they were relegated.

not convinced its the HNWIS who will not put their hands in their pockets, but that the trust do not want the HNWIS to increase their hold over club, the economic reality of being 50% funded by a few hundred fans and their dogs is slowly starting to become real

they are build on sand and always have been,all that changes is the type of sand

Allen's postmodern phase:

Thankfully, the neighbouring laptop’s well-being was preserved, even if it was already receiving a finger bashing by way of frantic re-writing.

Morecambe still hurts."

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/the-freak-moment-so-costly-to-pompey-s-promotion-dream-1-7393241

Someone concerned with Pompey frantically re-writing history? I don't believe it...

Why would they need to sell their best player?

Lord knows we know how difficult it is to keep players if their heads wander off to another club, and we may yet find it difficult to hold on to Wanyama and Mane.

But we don't need to sell, to either fund team building or - perhaps - to keep the wolf from the door.

The fact that Webster is being flogged for either of the above reasons hints the HNWIs are not prepared to dip their hands in their pockets.

The really funny thing is they think Jack Whatmough is the answer.

Yes, the same Whatmough who was the pivot of the p****y defence in this.

The same Whatmough who spent a spell on loan at Havant this season, and did so well they were relegated.

He also scored a great own goal in one of their "waiting for the playoffs" games a few weeks ago.

Pompey have announced pre-season friendlies away to Havant & Waterlooville (Wed 13th July), Sutton United (Sat 16th July) and Bognor (Wed 27th July) :rolleyes:

Yes, but to the average Skate fan this means games against PSGH&W, Real Sutton and Barcalognor. :lol:

Pompey have announced pre-season friendlies away to Havant & Waterlooville (Wed 13th July), Sutton United (Sat 16th July) and Bognor (Wed 27th July) :rolleyes:

I assume that is a "Portsmouth 11" playing these teams. Not the real deal, surely?

LOL

H&W are just down the road from where my team will be training and playing next season, once they've sorted out the separate changing rooms for the women. Might put my training kit on and jog over for a laugh - not my Saints kit mind.. Bigger danger would be them trying to use our pitches to train on - the council might be stupid enough to invoice them and not insist on cash.

Not sure if the players will wait that long Sue, given their age they'll be likely to want to secure another season as soon as possible. Can't see anyone in that situation wanting to wait on a promise that might not materialise. Especially given the reputation at that end of the M27 for failure to pay bills.

Not sure if the players will wait that long Sue, given their age they'll be likely to want to secure another season as soon as possible. Can't see anyone in that situation wanting to wait on a promise that might not materialise. Especially given the reputation at that end of the M27 for failure to pay bills.

Caitlin and McInnes will probably tell us they aren't broke, they are 'liquidity constrained'. Except maybe for :mcinnes:.

I heard in the news that the planning committee are meeting today to discuss an application for a lapdancing club in Southsea.

I had a quick look online and apparently this is an artists impression:

They like the bigger girls down in Pompey

feb28thjoedrum2.jpg

I'm sure your right, but it gives PFC the chance to blame them. On the other hand who would want them? Eastleigh, Forest Green Rovers, Bognor?

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/liverpool-keeper-i-d-love-a-pompey-return-1-7399353

Fulton told The News: ‘I loved it at Pompey, it’s such a big club which is going in the right direction now.

‘I had a conversation with my family when the chance to go to Pompey first came about,’ added Fulton.

‘I got a little bit nervous but reminded myself this was what I had wanted to do all my life'

I gained so much from going there and playing in front of that noisy crowd.’

giphy.gif

They do this thing every single season where they basically rip the squad apart and start again, and, guess what, next season will be no exception.

They now have one striker on their books, all their goalies have been borrowed, knackered, crap or all three of the above, they've transfer listed two midfielders, are haggling with a 35-year-old right back and with Webster going they're also a center back down. I'm sure there are more holes in their squad that I've missed, but just replacing these players means finding half a new starting 11.

They do this thing every single season where they basically rip the squad apart and start again, and, guess what, next season will be no exception.

They now have one striker on their books, all their goalies have been borrowed, knackered, crap or all three of the above, they've transfer listed two midfielders, are haggling with a 35-year-old right back and with Webster going they're also a center back down. I'm sure there are more holes in their squad that I've missed, but just replacing these players means finding half a new starting 11.

Won't be long until they panic and start throwing money around.

I swear they must get handed a script and told 'any interview you give must include this'

Every single one of them bangs on about how amazing it is to be at a League Two club and how wonderful it all is

Its easy to be jealous of what they've got, where do we even begin? Their pipes are without doubt the fattiest, their supporters are among the gaptoothiest and their debt free warchest is groaning with pocket money given up by rosy cheeked urchins

our fishy friends are off to Oireland

Preparations for another promotion push will begin in the Emerald Isle this summer.

Ireland will host Pompey’s pre-season tour – with two fixtures thrown in.

July 4-10 has been pencilled in for Paul Cook’s squad to be based across the Irish Sea for a training camp designed to underpin the latest bid to escape League Two.

The trip will involve friendlies against Cook’s former club Sligo Rovers and Bohemians, provisionally for July 6 and July 9 respectively, before returning to Fratton Park at the end of the week.

It means the usual curtain-raiser against the Hawks will instead be switched to a midweek occasion – with a date to be finalised.

Last summer Cook took his players to Vale de Lobo in the Algarve for a week-long bonding session.

The much-changed playing staff also trained during their stay in Portugal, yet the trip was chiefly to harness a team spirit.

This time around – and the bulk of his squad having been in place for 12 months – the emphasis is on work as Cook visits the country where he served as Sligo boss for almost five years.

The finishing touches are being put to preparations, yet Pompey’s boss is convinced the trip will be beneficial.

He said: ‘Last year we went to Portugal so all the players could bond. In Ireland we need to train properly, it’s a training camp.

‘Portugal was more lads getting to know each other, a game of golf and a pint.

‘I thought it was better for the lads to get to know each other socially rather than running up and down and seeing who can run faster than you.

‘It was more of a bonding session but this time we’ll go to Ireland to train and work.

‘We also have two matches over there and they will be our first pre-season fixtures so effectively will be training games for us.

‘I promised Sligo I would take a team over for a player’s testimonial there.

‘Bohemians will be more serious, especially with our fans travelling to watch on a Saturday afternoon.

‘The trip will be good for our supporters. Bohemians play in Dublin, so geographically they can get there by flight. We’re still finalising things but I’m looking forward to it.’

Sligo are a League of Ireland premier division side based at The Showgrounds in County Sligo.

As Rovers boss until February 2012, Cook enjoyed plenty of success – leading them to the FAI Ford Cup and the EA Sports Cup, as well as third in the Airtricity League in 2010 alone.

He later steered them to back-to-back FAI Ford Cup victories.

Their league programme began in March and they are presently seventh in the table – three places above Bohemians.

Bohemians are located at Dalymount Park in Phibsborough, on the north side of Dublin. Known as ‘Bohs’, they are one of the most successful clubs in League of Ireland history.

Pompey have already announced a friendly at Steve Claridge’s Salisbury on Tuesday, July 19.

Oh right so last seasons pre-season tour wasn't about them starting a do or die push to go of league two......

I'm so glad that's been clarified this far down the line after they failed to get out of league two (*cough*portsmyth alert*cough*)

(please note that I intend to shoe horn in the phrase 'failed to get out of league two' into every post I make from now on just so any skate reading this doesn't forget. I've noticed they have a tendency to gloss over real facts in favour of portsmyths so constant reminders can be the only solution.)

our fishy friends are off to Oireland

He said: ‘Last year we went to Portugal so all the players could bond. In Ireland we need to train properly, it’s a training camp.

‘Portugal was more lads getting to know each other, a game of golf and a pint.

‘I thought it was better for the lads to get to know each other socially rather than running up and down and seeing who can run faster than you.

Yeah, great idea that. He's right, getting players fit before the start of the season is a much over-rated concept.

:mcinnes:

Carlsberg don't do tinpottery, but if they did....

Yeah, great idea that. He's right, getting players fit before the start of the season is a much over-rated concept.

:mcinnes:

Carlsberg don't do tinpottery, but if they did....

Don't mock , the real fitness work started when they got back to the UK

(please note that I intend to shoe horn in the phrase 'failed to get out of league two' into every post I make from now on just so any skate reading this doesn't forget. I've noticed they have a tendency to gloss over real facts in favour of portsmyths so constant reminders can be the only solution.)

Can't you use the phrase taken from (I presume The News' ) article: "the latest bid to escape League Two." :-)

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})