Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/catlin-pompey-must-learn-from-bradford-1-7425841

Catlin feels it’s important to look at how Bradford got it right and benefit from their experience.

He said: ‘Just because we are Portsmouth doesn’t give us a divine right to get promoted, just as it didn’t give Bradford a divine right.

‘That’s where we have to learn the lessons from history.

‘If we don’t learn from history we’ll keep making the same mistakes.

Astonishing change of tack from the pluckiest there. Hopefully they'll revert to type in time to delight us with yet another failed karma-fuelled attempt to escape the pull of gravity

Nice index of relative club bigness:

http://www.gillingham.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=449585

Funny that the most massivest club on the South Coast, or indeed the planet, are languishing so low in the rankings even over a 50 year timescale.

An elementary scaling error has been made there, for all know that their rank is for all practical purposes decided by their passion. And on that basis they are rank indeed :D

Funny that the most massivest club on the South Coast, or indeed the planet, are languishing so low in the rankings even over a 50 year timescale.

Now just hang on a minute, according to that table the bestest rank a lowly 34th which is very clearly NOT TRUE. This simply has to be a conspiracy by Sky and the Football League and in no way reflects that GREATNESS and HISTORICAL inevitability of the impending rise from the ashes of the bestest greatest most amazing football club there ever was.

All proper right thinking folk clearly know the truth of the matter and it is only a matter of time before normality is restored. After all that fact that they failed to get out of League Two again is merely a footnote in their glorious history.

Now just hang on a minute, according to that table the bestest rank a lowly 34th which is very clearly NOT TRUE. This simply has to be a conspiracy by Sky and the Football League and in no way reflects that GREATNESS and HISTORICAL inevitability of the impending rise from the ashes of the bestest greatest most amazing football club there ever was.

All proper right thinking folk clearly know the truth of the matter and it is only a matter of time before normality is restored. After all that fact that they failed to get out of League Two again is merely a footnote in their glorious history.

They must be so p!ssed :D

I felt very sorry for the Pompey fan who ended up badly injured in Marseilles

I still do and would have been happy to donate money to the fund raising that is underway

Whilst enjoying a bit of banter with Pompey fans I would not wish any decent Pompey fan any harm.

However there are suggestions that the chap in question has boasted on Twitter about his past association with the 657 crew.

This is uncorroborated at the moment but perhaps would change my view of things if proved to me correct.

Having said that being assaulted with an iron bar, which seems to be the case, is cowardly in the extreme.

Having said that being assaulted with an iron bar, which seems to be the case, is cowardly in the extreme.

But not beyond the activities of the 657 in the past.

Whatever his previous, this will no doubt be life-changing and I'm sure most would wish him well.

657 or not, those Russian animals are trying to take hooliganism to a whole new level.

I hope he makes a good recovery.

Totally agree, all rivalry goes out of the window when it comes to situations like this !

I wish him a speedy and full recovery !

They've given a two-year contract to a 33-year-old who did a decent job in League 1 a couple of seasons back:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Baker

Apparently all based on the fact that Cook knows him from his time in the Conference with Southport.

“I know it is a well-worn cliché when new players talk about Pompey being too big for League Two,” he states. “But you only have to look at the crowds and stadium to know it’s true.

“In my talks with Paul Cook, one of the first things he mentioned was the fans and how passionate they are.

“But I already knew that because I have been here before with Coventry and even when Pompey were on their way down, the supporters were outstanding – they made Fratton Park a tough place to visit.”

Getting a result at Fratton Park in front of a big, passionate crowd is still a massive coup for many clubs.

:mcinnes:

They've given a two-year contract to a 33-year-old who did a decent job in League 1 a couple of seasons back:

Cook managed him 10 years ago ffs when he was 23. You can almost hear the explanations to the board now "I can't understand it, he used to be so fast and strong".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Baker

Apparently all based on the fact that Cook knows him from his time in the Conference with Southport.

There must be much gnashing of teeth and pulling out of hair amongst the other teams in L1 and even The Championship that they misssed out on this little gem of a player.

Fortunately there were no teeth to gnash in Shytesmuff and a seemingly bottomless pot of gold to pay more than any of their rivals could muster.

A 2 year contract for a 33 year old - :mcinnes:

Getting a result at Fratton Park in front of a big, passionate crowd is still a massive coup for many clubs.

Yeah, pompey being one of them.

Funniest thing I've read in ages!

Hope the Pompey lad pulls through these Russian hoolies seem to be on a different level. Still have no sympathy for the muppets locked up for throwing bottles at the police though.

Thay're also selling season tickets at a far faster rate than ever before, notwithstanding the generous two month selling period this year, compared with the far shorter four months in previous years.

So get yours quick, before they sell out.

So, they've sold 5,000 season tickets, which to be fair is a good number in division 4. They sold 1,000 of those in the first 8 hours and the remaining 4,000 in the next 13 days. I would guess at around 7,500 would be their max this year - anyone who is likely to buy one would have done so by now, but there is still another pay day to get through so they could sell a few more.

Luckily, some of the wiser fans that they have, have made comments on that article suggesting now is the perfect time for them to be getting their 40,000 seater stadium :mcinnes:

The key to Pompey rising again is, apparently, passion.

Passion and 1000 mile round trips.

That's the magic formula.

Oh, and passion.

Nothing to do with finances, planning, and infrastructure.

No Sir, not worth a mention.

He works for the same company as me and I have no idea how he can possibly afford that travel on what he earns (don't know his actual salary but the ball park is low) so he is probably running up massive debts to follow the inspiring Pompey example!

I'm not sure how much stock I'd put in a table that says "clubs have to have spent at least 15 years in the FL in the past 50" and then leaves Newport County entirely out of it, given that they only had a 21 year gap in between their two FL spells. But anyway. Also... "Premiership" - just the 9 years out of date with the naming.

He works for the same company as me and I have no idea how he can possibly afford that travel on what he earns (don't know his actual salary but the ball park is low) so he is probably running up massive debts to follow the inspiring Pompey example!

Might be worth scrutinising his expense claims...

Get this, the reason they didn't get promoted last time round, was that too many of the players were used to playing at a higher level, which made League 2 tricky for them:

‘You can have bags and bags and bags of experience playing for a Championship side but dropping down to League Two is a completely different ball game.

‘It is almost like starting all over again, finding your feet and taking a couple of months to get used to it.

‘Now we have done that there is no excuse not to go and get promoted

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/adam-barton-pompey-better-placed-for-promotion-this-time-1-7439209

Get this, the reason they didn't get promoted last time round, was that too many of the players were used to playing at a higher level, which made League 2 tricky for them:

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/adam-barton-pompey-better-placed-for-promotion-this-time-1-7439209

No excuse? - I'm sure they'll think of something, there's no shortage of referees who will be overawed by the prospect of officiating at the cauldron that is fatpipes

Fittingly, a final outing consisted of shrugging off concussion in his attempts to help Pompey reach the play-off final.

Wasn't concussion then was it you thundering hedgehog c*nt because if it was he'd have immediately been off the pitch. D!ckhead.

And I would have thought drooling would be the normal state of affairs in the crowd on a match day at the tatty timber tabernacle.

Do you think Factless has a bet on to write all his articles in the style of a Viking saga?

Wasn't concussion then was it you thundering hedgehog c*nt because if it was he'd have immediately been off the pitch. D!ckhead.

And I would have thought drooling would be the normal state of affairs in the crowd on a match day at the tatty timber tabernacle.

Do you think Factless has a bet on to write all his articles in the style of a Viking saga?

Viking saga? I'd say by comparison he makes Jeffrey Archer look like Jane Austen, Charlotte Bronte, Charles Dickens and Bill Shakespeare all rolled into one

Hilarious. They've been given midweek trips away to Morecambe and Blackpool and a Boxing Day clash in Wales!

I'm vaguely annoyed that my usual Xmas trip "home" to watch a match is going to be accompanied by that bunch of gimps. Though at the moment as it's the same time as Saints v Spurs I'm going to have to keep an eye on Prem tv times before I make any Xmas choices. :o

In other news, all 7 of the Newport County L2 aways I was planning on going to currently clash with Saints home games (or are midweek oop north), though 3 of them will be moved for Europa League so I now have the opportunity to fly direct to the likes of Doncaster or Blackpool from any given Europa League venue... :D

Edited by The9

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})