Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

PAUL COOK believes his current Pompey options are good enough to get out of League Two.

Pompey used 33 players in league action last term, but Cook sees his current options as enough to fight for promotion.

He said: ‘We’ve put this club in that position now. If we didn’t change the squad we’d challenge.

‘It’s good enough to challenge. Now, can we take that on? That’s the question.

Rough translation, "there's no money available"

33 players - Sounds a lot for a League 2 club, certainly not going to lead to a group of players gelling as a unit. Does anyone know how this compares with other bottom league clubs?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

And also, how many were loans and won't be there next season?

Good enough to challenge - probably not without the loanees they had this season.... Which is why they failed to get out of League Two. Again. ;)

33 players - Sounds a lot for a League 2 club, certainly not going to lead to a group of players gelling as a unit. Does anyone know how this compares with other bottom league clubs?

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Having lost their millionaire and drastically cut back, Newport had 19 players on full-time contracts last season (of which 3 were youth team kids on dirt cheap deals), the rest were loans (there were 9). Can't do the loan thing any more unless they're season long loans, it's going to make a big difference.

They've released 13 already this summer, currently have 19 pros (though around 8 haven't signed new one-year deals yet and are may be only technically still at the club for now until July 1st) including 7 kids who tangibly aren't good enough at the moment and two of those they've offered new deals to are thought to have signed for someone else.

33 is bloody ridiculous.

"It's good enough to challenge"

Really?!

Can't wait to see what happens when the bestest challenge falls just short again.

"Good enough to challenge" doesn't sound that confident. Sounds like code for "good enough for top 10 and hopefully we'll get lucky".

Just seen this on a boozer down there. Had to pull over to get a picture. Was also in danger of crashing my car from laughing so much!

Could have been the title of this thread when they were in the PL.

Edited by buctootim

Just seen this on a boozer down there. Had to pull over to get a picture. Was also in danger of crashing my car from laughing so much!

Confused by the quotation marks surrounding 'Proud'. Almost like they're being sarcastic.

a55ed53c55f12fc47c7820506aa26cda.jpg

That's made my day that has! Cheers[emoji38]

Still failed to get out of League Two though, didn't they. Again.

Actually, a thought occurs to me.....

I wonder if we are seeing the skates copying the mighty Saints here - small improvements, season on season.

16th last season, 6th this season but missing out in the playoffs.

So does that mean next season we will see them actually get to the playoff final? And then will they miss out again but get automatic promotion the next season?

Edited by Mr Biscuits

I wonder if we are seeing the skates copying the mighty Saints here - small improvements, season on season.

So does that mean next season we will see them actually get to the playoff final? And then will they miss out again but get automatic promotion the next season?

The ongoing hilarity they cause as they career around the mud flats of lower league football in their exploding clown car of a club would be sadly missed if they ever confronted their sordid past and faced up to their problems

Confused by the quotation marks surrounding 'Proud'. Almost like they're being sarcastic.

Hilarious.

Is that Christmas lights or rats strung up to 'age'

Skates over the moon that Plymouth lost. So very bitter from them.

Also saw this. The myth lives on...

d760548ad3df836caa5d2bc851f29d7e.jpg

I still can't decide which hurts more. Their deliberate loss to WBA which sent us down, or Norris's last gasp equaliser at SMS which denied us promotion back to the PL.

Five years to this day, another fine chapter in the saga

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/13614706

A link simply doesn't do it justice.

Given what was posted on here and ruffmania, whilst lumpitt and the blue few creamed their pants.

Lampitt still works in football and even had the nerve to claim back money under the footballing debt rule.

When the married cousins come on here, remind them of this. Hysterical.

Convers Sports Initiatives, controlled by London-based Russian businessman Vladimir Antonov, have completed their takeover of Portsmouth.

They purchased the Championship club from Sports Holdings (Asia) Ltd after "several months of negotiations".

Portsmouth chief executive David Lampitt said: "I am pleased to welcome the club's new owners and very much look forward to working with them.

"In CSI, I believe we have found owners who will take the long-term view."

CSI owners Antonov, Roman Dubov and former Leeds United chief executive Chris Akers have passed the Football League's fit and proper persons' test.

They already own a growing list of sports teams, franchises and rights, with current interests including the World Rally Championship, PowerPlay Golf, Spartak Moscow ice hockey team, Ferrari Team Russia and the Isle of Man TT motorcycle race.

Balram Chainrai

Chainrai was appointed as chairman in October 2010

"

We have taken this club during the worst times and brought it to safe grounds from near extinction

Balram Chainrai, Levi Kushnir and Deepak Chainrai

Outgoing Portsmouth owners

Antonov, 36, said: "We have conducted extensive due diligence and held detailed negotiations with a number of clubs in the English Premier League, Championship, League One and Scottish Premier League over the past 12 months.

"We ultimately selected Portsmouth because of its history, loyal fan base and its potential to return to the Premier League.

"The supporters are amongst the most passionate in the game and that gives the business a strong foundation to build on.

"We look forward to working with all those connected with Portsmouth including the management, players, employees and sponsors, as well as developing close ties with the city of Portsmouth and the community."

CSI were behind a failed bid for Bournemouth last summer, but have been successful on this occasion in securing the sale of Portsmouth from Hong Kong businessman Balram Chainrai, director of Sports Holdings (Asia) Ltd.

Chainrai first took over at Fratton Park in February 2010, placing Portsmouth in administration after initially investing £17m in the club, and "reluctantly" assuming control when previous owner Ali Al Faraj defaulted on loan payments due to him.

They could have 7 years of continuous improvement culminating in a glorious...16th in L1

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Reflecting on a few of the nostalgia posts it has to be said -

I think they have been the worst run and worst behaved club in football league history.

Most clubs find that one administration is enough of a warning, but to strut straight from one into another, only pausing briefly to outbid solvent clubs for overpriced journeymen while ignoring a cva that was only reluctantly agreed to distract from the theft of a pension fund.

Incredible.

The gem in this crown of sh!t was accepting that cheque for the kids' cancer charity on the pitch, but keeping the money.

That will take some beating by another club.

Yes, we have a winner.

If the kids maimed by their owner still had legs they would stand up and applaud them.

#karma

At least they have invested in a sign that will be useful for a few seasons, unlike some of the players Pompey have signed.

Two things:

1) That sign has their badge before the badge before the badge before the badge on it, which means that either someone didn't know what they were doing and had no idea what the club's badge actually was when they made it (surely not? though the "PROUD" is a clue...), or, and this one I like - they actually made it when they were in the Championship before they got promoted to the Prem back in 2003, and they were actually celebrating the possibility of a relegation. It is the only time they've actually had that badge and been within one division of League One since League One has been called League One.

2) Be fair, I've counted nearly 35 of them. If I adapt the maths I used when Saints fans queued up for the all red adidas kit we really hated, when there were 6 times as many people in the club's photo, and extrapolate how long it takes to process a ticket purchase for everyone in the picture via that method... I'd be very sad indeed. :)

Programme on BBC1 now about selling 'legal highs'. It's based on a dealer in Portsmouth which probably explains why they all support the skates. They're all high as a kite and imagine they're watching Champions League football.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

the ones on the right hand side who look to have changed their minds and are facing the wrong direction?

They all look like those people in early 19thC photographs when they all look at the new fangled stuff the photographer is holding.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/matt-taylor-speaks-out-on-pompey-return-1-7413019

MATT TAYLOR has played down talk of an emotional return to Pompey.

The Blues hero will not be plying his trade at Fratton Park next season.

Taylor has spoken of the special connection he has with the club he made his name at.

But the 34-year-old explained he still has ambitions of playing the game at a higher level than League Two.

Really? Playing in the Championship is more desirable than a triumphal return to the Mecca of Division 4 football? Get away...

I feel dirty. Just as I came over Butser Hill this evening a blue transit covered in Portsmouth signs drove up the Petersfield slip road. It also had the sign 'Books Purchased' emblazoned on the sides. I was sorely tempted to open the window and give it an appropriate salute but, Rallyboy can vouch for my ladylike decorum and refained nature, I forebore to do so. I averted my eyes from TCWTB who was no doubt driving.

:-)

I feel dirty. Just as I came over Butser Hill this evening a blue transit covered in Portsmouth signs drove up the Petersfield slip road. It also had the sign 'Books Purchased' emblazoned on the sides. I was sorely tempted to open the window and give it an appropriate salute but, Rallyboy can vouch for my ladylike decorum and refained nature, I forebore to do so. I averted my eyes from TCWTB who was no doubt driving.

:-)

You have indeed seen the chosen one.

If you listened carefully you would have heard the slosh of the chemical toilet as he cornered, the very one that his crew share as they travel the motorways of the UK.

:eek:

They never learn - new player, same old template.

And the sought-after central midfielder, who ignored offers from other clubs to join the Blues, is targeting a season to savour on the south coast.

He said: ‘The manager sold me the potential of the club, the history of the club and what it means to play for a club the size of Portsmouth.

‘When that call comes it is not one you can turn down.

It is now up to us to really give them something to cheer about.

Having experienced the atmosphere on the final day of the season – a game Northampton won 2-1 – the midfielder was won over by the passionate support of the home fans.

He said: ‘I remember coming down for the game with Northampton and seeing a sea of blue around Portsmouth.

‘The whole community was blue and the atmosphere on the day was incredible.

‘I couldn’t even hear my team-mates next to me because it was so loud!

‘That was something that stuck with me.

‘Seeing what this club is like and how passionate the fans are – it doesn’t come around very often.

‘And for that to be your home support and to play in front of that week in, week out, it is going to be special.

‘That was one of the main reasons why I made the decision.’

Yeah, that and the wages that other clubs wouldn't be stupid enough to match.

[/i]

They never learn - new player, same old template.

And the sought-after central midfielder, who ignored offers from other clubs to join the Blues, is targeting a season to savour on the south coast.

He said: ‘The manager sold me the potential of the club, the history of the club and what it means to play for a club the size of Portsmouth.

‘When that call comes it is not one you can turn down.

It is now up to us to really give them something to cheer about.

Having experienced the atmosphere on the final day of the season – a game Northampton won 2-1 – the midfielder was won over by the passionate support of the home fans.

He said: ‘I remember coming down for the game with Northampton and seeing a sea of blue around Portsmouth.

‘The whole community was blue and the atmosphere on the day was incredible.

‘I couldn’t even hear my team-mates next to me because it was so loud!

‘That was something that stuck with me.

‘Seeing what this club is like and how passionate the fans are – it doesn’t come around very often.

‘And for that to be your home support and to play in front of that week in, week out, it is going to be special.

‘That was one of the main reasons why I made the decision.’

Yeah, that and the wages that other clubs wouldn't be stupid enough to match.

[/i]

Spot on.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})