Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

From what I can see..... Falling over. Doesn't even look like a push or a trip and I refuse to believe that a GK even at that level could misjudge a ball that badly.

As for Corp Ho..... I always figured he was a bit special however another 10,000 season tickets? And where will they sit? Actually are that even that many more skates?

From what I can see..... Falling over. Doesn't even look like a push or a trip and I refuse to believe that a GK even at that level could misjudge a ball that badly.

As for Corp Ho..... I always figured he was a bit special however another 10,000 season tickets? And where will they sit? Actually are that even that many more skates?

I've misquoted him somewhat, which is my fault. He's talking about selling 10,000 season tickets at more expensive prices than last season so they sign a player worth 4k a week to rip up League 2.

23-year old Kai Naismith was Cook's second signing after taking over. Naismith signed a 3 and a half year contract in May 2015 after joining from Accrington Stanley for an undisclosed fee.

This is what he had to say back then:

"Delighted to have signed for @officialpompey A massive club with a great history I hope I can be involved in taking them back in the right direction. Can't wait to play at fratton park infront [sic] of the fans."

Now he's been transfer listed along with Matt Tubbs who, if memory serves, was poached at vast expense from League 1. These are two players who they evidently felt were it special and were worth investing that bit extra in.

Ouch

I've misquoted him somewhat, which is my fault. He's talking about selling 10,000 season tickets at more expensive prices than last season so they sign a player worth 4k a week to rip up League 2.

23-year old Kai Naismith was Cook's second signing after taking over. Naismith signed a 3 and a half year contract in May 2015 after joining from Accrington Stanley for an undisclosed fee.

"Delighted to have signed for @officialpompey A massive club with a great history I hope I can be involved in taking them back in the right direction. Can't wait to play at fratton park infront [sic] of the fans."

Now he's been transfer listed along with Matt Tubbs who, if memory serves, was poached at vast expense from League 1. These are two players who they evidently felt were it special and were worth investing that bit extra in.

Ouch

Portsmouth 'Community' FC, proudly ripping up L2 since 2012 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

:mcinnes:

Tbh, can anyone here see the skates paying more to watch League Two football?

Their income is going to reach a critical mass soon but instead of exploding things will just slump embarrassingly - they will lose fans who want better football. Granted they probably have around 7.5 to 10k hardcore support but that's not going to give them enough.

Ouch

So is it getting rid of deadwood or reducing the wage bill because they won't be able to afford it next season?

Edited by Mr Biscuits

They have a dilemma. They aren't selling next year's season tickets yet, and normally they're selling early bird renewals from about March. Just a wild guess, but likely because they were planning a hefty price increase following promotion. Remember they froze the prices last year. So it will be interesting to see what they do now. They will definately sell fewer than last year now that they're still in the 4th Division. They have wages to pay up to the end of June, and they now have no income.

My guess is they will try to dress up an ST price rise as an opportunity for the fan owners to make a heroic contribution to next year's league-ripping new squad. I think they'll end up about where they are now income-wise, with the price rise balancing out the reduced sales. But it will affect their other commercial revenues, and get them closer to their hard core of well below 10,000

What's probably more important is that Prudence would dictate that they don't fix any wage or transfer budgets until they have secured their safety certificate, particularly in the light of the Hillsborough verdict which laid some of the blame at the door of the club (Sheff. Weds.) and the certifying process itself. Unfortunately Prudence left Fratton Park some time ago.

We need a sweepstake in how long it takes Cook to moan his squad isn't big enough and that's why they're struggling. I'm going for 15th November.
he's fortunate that mcInnes put him in charge as he will not want to look to have made a mistake, add to that they will not want to pay compensation to get rid of him. Surely he has been a failure.

he's fortunate that mcInnes put him in charge as he will not want to look to have made a mistake, add to that they will not want to pay compensation to get rid of him. Surely he has been a failure.

I can't wait for Champers Iain to chow down on the hat he said he was going to eat if Cooke didn't lead them to the Promised Land of League One.

We've got some great things to look forward to this summer - Gary Lineker presenting MOTD in his keks, Kate Hopkins running down Oxford St with a Wall's banger up her bumhole, and Champagne Iain tucking into Blanquette de Chapeau avec herbes fines.

I can't wait for Champers Iain to chow down on the hat he said he was going to eat if Cooke didn't lead them to the Promised Land of League One.

We've got some great things to look forward to this summer - Gary Lineker presenting MOTD in his keks, Kate Hopkins running down Oxford St with a Wall's banger up her bumhole, and Champagne Iain tucking into Blanquette de Chapeau avec herbes fines.

65e37409eb2cb4086e1c444bb1c634bf.jpg Perhaps we should get a hat for him to chomp on

You don't have to worry my pony fiddling friends, The phantom tippler has already said(i have faith in cook, he is the right man for the job)

Which roughly translated means,(that,s about the 5th time we as an amateur havent got a clue board have royally *****,d up,)

The difference this time is we can't afford to get shot of the ussless scouse c**t,

Still on the plus side at least we know where we will finish this time next year,,,,,Div 4 :rolleyes:

When Portsmouth went extinct, they should've started again at Moneyfields and worked their way up the leagues like Wimbledon did.

And now they could be playing in a division higher. That's what you call poetic justice. Cheats never prosper.

It's wonderful to see a fan owned club doing so well.

You don't have to worry my pony fiddling friends, The phantom tippler has already said(i have faith in cook, he is the right man for the job)

Which roughly translated means,(that,s about the 5th time we as an amateur havent got a clue board have royally *****,d up,)

The difference this time is we can't afford to get shot of the ussless scouse c**t,

Still on the plus side at least we know where we will finish this time next year,,,,,Div 4 :rolleyes:

What, no danger of relegation? Are you sure, Mack?

Hmmm....

So another summer, another complete squad revamp. Looks like they're planning to pay transfer fees again this time round, (as pretty much the only club in League 2). What could possibly go wrong?

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/pompey-chairman-we-will-back-cook-recruitment-drive-1-7387659?

Cook is also chasing a number of targets to strengthen a squad which finished sixth in League Two.

This time around Cook will again strive to bring in a calibre of player which may require transfer fees.

While not being drawn on the issue of finances, club chairman McInnes insisted his manager would continue to be allowed to add fresh recruits.

And that could mean at least four new Fratton Park arrivals during the close season.

‘Next year we really have got to get out of this league,’ said McInnes.

‘We had started planning before Sunday’s match at Plymouth because we didn’t believe the targets would change very much if we were still in this league or in the next.

‘Plans are in place. We will have a board meeting at the end of May and there will be a plan to take this club forward for next season.

Important part in bold. Is that 'we've got to get out of League Two because we're a bigger team than this league can handle' or is that 'oh****oh****oh****oh**** we need more income than this league can provide and if we don't get out of

League Two we're going under again'

‘After the first leg of the play-offs, people in football rang me saying “That can’t be two League Two sides”.

‘Sunday’s game was more League Two really.

‘I think when we play games not in League Two we are a great team.

‘When we play games which are League Two then I don’t think we are so great, so that is probably what Paul has on his mind.

‘Whatever he wants to do then we will continue

Basically:

'We played alright in a couple of cup games, but we've been shyte in the league'

You get what you pay for - lower league journeymen just playing to keep a roof over their heads.

WTFLN

What, no danger of relegation? Are you sure, Mack?

He ought to be, Morecambe, Crawley and Newport are all utterly skint and either in undeveloped football markets or competing with bigger local rivals with better infrastructure higher up the Leagues. At least Portsmouth isn't an undeveloped football market, even if their support levels are stuck in reverse and dwindling they're still getting up to 10 times the crowds of those three, and only 2 go down.

FWIW Notts County are also a basket case and might be in trouble too.

We need a sweepstake in how long it takes Cook to moan his squad isn't big enough and that's why they're struggling. I'm going for 15th November.

Seems quite late. As I keep mentioning, the lack of emergency (outside Transfer Window) loans in future is going to be a significant development in lower league football going forward - you've got to think there will be a few caught out by it, you'd expect Portsmouth would have a significant advantage as they should have more money up front - assuming Fratton Park doesn't need patching up again...

Seems quite late. As I keep mentioning, the lack of emergency (outside Transfer Window) loans in future is going to be a significant development in lower league football going forward - you've got to think there will be a few caught out by it, you'd expect Portsmouth would have a significant advantage as they should have more money up front - assuming Fratton Park doesn't need patching up again...

I've highlighted what I believe to be the flaw in your argument. You are absolutely right of course, however this is the Skates we are talking about - snatching defeat from the jaws of victory seems to be their speciality. I'm convinced that the coffers aren't as full as they want everyone to believe and this season was sh!t or bust. Possibly because I support the mighty Saints I view things in a certain way however the tone I'm getting from Champaigne Ian is very much that it's a bigger problem than they are willing to admit.

As for relegation odds, that might be worth a flutter - just because they're apparently bigger than everyone else doesn't mean they are going to walk the league. Just like the last two seasons.

I've highlighted what I believe to be the flaw in your argument. You are absolutely right of course, however this is the Skates we are talking about - snatching defeat from the jaws of victory seems to be their speciality. I'm convinced that the coffers aren't as full as they want everyone to believe and this season was sh!t or bust. Possibly because I support the mighty Saints I view things in a certain way however the tone I'm getting from Champaigne Ian is very much that it's a bigger problem than they are willing to admit.

As for relegation odds, that might be worth a flutter - just because they're apparently bigger than everyone else doesn't mean they are going to walk the league. Just like the last two seasons.

If they went into admin! I know that is unlikely but the relegation bet would be a decent odds

If they went into admin! I know that is unlikely but the relegation bet would be a decent odds

Please don't discount that scenario entirely.

It only needs one disgruntled company or individual whose invoice has not been paid to serve notice on them. Or a government department whose role it is to collect tax.

Just heard news that the FL want to restructure to have 4 divisions of 20 teams. That would mean stronger teams coming down. Interesting.

I heard that too. I figured it's the only way that the skates would get out of league 2 before 2020 so they'll probably welcome it.

I heard that too. I figured it's the only way that the skates would get out of league 2 before 2020 so they'll probably welcome it.

,But It will not help them get out of League 2, it will put them nearer League 3 (div 5) - 4 down down Champ to League 1, 8 down to League 2 from League 1 and they were what 5th in League 2, so that puts them about 13th in League 2 if they do as well as this year. Mid table mediocrity in League 2 and only 6 places above relegation to League 5. This sounds like another FA plan to stuff them completely doesn't it? After all, it is all down to the FA (although we know that it is the FL of course) that have put them where they are as a punishment for doing nothing wrong.

Please don't discount that scenario entirely.

It only needs one disgruntled company or individual whose invoice has not been paid to serve notice on them. Or a government department whose role it is to collect tax.

If only there were a government department whose role it is to collect tax and is prepared to make an example of a serial reoffending football club.

You have to fight the gibberish, but I think this means they've just flogged Webster for half a million to Ipswich.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/why-webster-s-pompey-exit-makes-sense-1-7393935?

You have to fight the gibberish, but I think this means they've just flogged Webster for half a million to Ipswich.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/why-webster-s-pompey-exit-makes-sense-1-7393935?

Why would they need to sell their best player?

Lord knows we know how difficult it is to keep players if their heads wander off to another club, and we may yet find it difficult to hold on to Wanyama and Mane.

But we don't need to sell, to either fund team building or - perhaps - to keep the wolf from the door.

The fact that Webster is being flogged for either of the above reasons hints the HNWIs are not prepared to dip their hands in their pockets.

The really funny thing is they think Jack Whatmough is the answer.

Yes, the same Whatmough who was the pivot of the p****y defence in this.

The same Whatmough who spent a spell on loan at Havant this season, and did so well they were relegated.

Remember 'young Jack' is a future England captain.

Of what? The national tiddlywinks team?

As for that article..... Is he tripping on anything when he writes?

However... Selling players to fund a rebuild of the team surely means there's nothing coming from anyone else to do it. Anyone reckon the HNW's have reached their limit?

Apparently Everton scouts were keenly tracking Webster too.

The Ipswich fans seem very happy with the transfer deal, so perhaps McInnes has sold a bit too early.

I wonder if they will spend the money wisely, like improving the academy facilities, or removing the fat from the pipes...?

Or will it be spent on another mercenary looking for one last payday?

£500k must qualify as a warchest.

Let's pretend that the horrific 15/16 season didn't happen and start talking up future promotion bids and bolstering the plucky blues battle-hardened troops for another heroic campaign.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})