Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

I don't get this. Why is milking your fans for every penny, ****ing up big time and wasting the cash generated on dross and spending a fourth season in League 2 as a consequence a source of pride?

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/catlin-s-pompey-budget-pride-1-7463569

Sounds more like a desperate plea to me. Perhaps the season ticket sales aren't going as well as expected so this is the final rallying call to squeeze as much money out of the fans as possible.

‘Being a fan-owned club, if we don’t get the fans we don’t have the budget'.... errr wrong! The HNWs are ready, eager and waiting to put more money in to the club, provided of course they get more shares....

Google translate: "We blew a lot of money last year in a desperate attempt to get out of league 2 and failed. This year we've had to cut right back so have less chance of promotion, but please keep sending the cheques".

Catlin says "I don’t know how any club can know anyone else’s budgets. It’s private and confidential". So how does he know their budget is "competitive"?

Sounds more like a desperate plea to me. Perhaps the season ticket sales aren't going as well as expected so this is the final rallying call to squeeze as much money out of the fans as possible.

That's the one. There's something in the back of my mind about season ticket sales coming to an end after this week. Maybe it's the end of the buy now pay later scheme.

Anyway whatever it is, it looks like ticket sales down about 20%, and squad size still rising.

After three years of league two football, you'd think they'd change their recruitment policy to help get promotion. But no, leave it to chance by having a bigger budget than the other clubs to spend in the hope of getting right combination of players in rather than identifying what to fix. Lovely.

06/07/2016 6:26 AM CUT

Priory81

I predict that at some point in the future; maybe 5 years, perhaps 10, Mark Catlin, Iain McInnes and maybe others from the current administration will be declared "Hall of Fame" members. What these people have done, along with the PST shareholders is nothing short of miraculous. Just a few years ago I would get angry having to explain away the shame of Pompey's administrations. Nowadays, the renewed pride I feel in supporting a fan-owned club that has reinvented itself is immense. A great and successful season on the field will complete the fairy story.

Read more: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/catlin-s-pompey-budget-pride-1-7463569#ixzz4DdUiIBK6

06/07/2016 6:26 AM CUT

Priory81

I predict that at some point in the future; maybe 5 years, perhaps 10, Mark Catlin, Iain McInnes and maybe others from the current administration will be declared "Hall of Fame" members. What these people have done, along with the PST shareholders is nothing short of miraculous. Just a few years ago I would get angry having to explain away the shame of Pompey's administrations. Nowadays, the renewed pride I feel in supporting a fan-owned club that has reinvented itself is immense. A great and successful season on the field will complete the fairy story.

Read more: http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/catlin-s-pompey-budget-pride-1-7463569#ixzz4DdUiIBK6

You have got to say that regularly selling between 9-11,000 season tickets each year is a decent effort

However I guess this is partly due to the continued level of support Pompey enjoy (fair play to them for this) but also the low cost of the season ticket.

Bradford City enjoyed the same arrangements before they finally escaped from League 2

You have got to say that regularly selling between 9-11,000 season tickets each year is a decent effort

However I guess this is partly due to the continued level of support Pompey enjoy (fair play to them for this) but also the low cost of the season ticket.

Bradford City enjoyed the same arrangements before they finally escaped from League 2

You do realise that it's because most skates have never been off the peninsula.

Match news -

The south's pluckiest gave mighty Sligo Rovers a bloody nose!

It was always going to be tough.

Cook's battling troops ran their opponents ragged.

He was pleased.

'I was pleased' he said.

Despite conceding three late goals they hammered them 3-3.

There were a lot of positives to take from the win.

The travelling faithful were passionate.

A new player was staggered by the support.

It leaves pompey equal top in the Fantasy Friendly League.

It's the first step towards winning the title.

Again.

Another new player looked promising.

Cook was pleased a bit more.

'If anything we are too fit' he added, smiling.

But his eyes looked sad.

Shocking result against a bunch of pig farmers, obviously the new signings are crap, can't believe we threw away 3 points after being 3-0 up, what was Cook thinking about with them substitutions.

Didn't even notice that Sligo had sneaked 12 players on at one stage, why didn't he chuck on another player to even it up??? was he even watching the game? Or just enjoying the Oirissh hospitality?

I'm giving him until the end of July, if we ain't at least in the play-offs then I'm gonna personally hand back by season ticket to McInness in disgust

The above quote is from a skate, but is parodying those who weren't happy with their plucky 3-3 win. According to POL, people were threatening not to buy season tickets.

Not a real friendly according to this.

"Over 50 players used in that game. Rotating subs. 20 changes at half time and sligo had 12 men on the pitch at one point. It was no more than a training exercise."

So it was what, a kickabout? I can appreciate the need to ease yourself into preseason and all that, but still... they really don't come across as tip top professional, even for League 2.

Any more updates from their pre season "European tour"

Are they playing any other European giants like Sligo :D

To be sure... a heroic 2-0 victory against Bohemians. It's not even really an Irish tour though, yet alone a European one, as, after one friendly and a testimonial that was a bit of a joke, they're on their way back to the sceptic isle.

On POL, one fan dares to challenge the myth of their world-famous atmosphere

I have a memory of being a boy then young man with the hair's on the back of my neck standing on end as the whole of Fratton park rang out with the chimes, hearing all four sides challenging each other to who could sing it loudst and longest, hearing one chime ending as another was half way through even as another stand started a new one.

Magical, intimidating and inspiring.

Now we are lucky to get one chime at a corner or a goal, then back to the moronic drumming and Ner Ner with an anti scum song thrown in now and them.

I blame the TV people.

They keep showing games with crowds in them, and sometime soon one of the faithful is going to put two and two together and realise that their own atmosphere, against Cheltenham or Crawley, doesn't actually compare that well to proper big boy football.

Eight players in .

How many have left? They already had a pretty big squad for a club at that level and seem to have a habit of handing out longish contracts! Surely they wouldn't be gambling with the finances and taking a massive punt on promotion or bust?

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/mcinnes-pompey-exits-needed-1-7470843

These three have been transfer listed since the end of last season, and obviously, there have been no takers who are prepared to match their current deals, and, strangely, they're not interested in moving.

Under such circumstances, a normal club would just suck it up, or loan them out. But at Pompey, villains get hung out to dry (I'm sure we all remember the fully justified hate campaign directed at those unethical anti-Pompey players a few years back who wanted to actually receive a small portion of the money owing to them and didn't care about the passionate support and glorious history).

So expect another four to join, but any outfield players will only now come in when the useless three end their money sapping days with the mighty Pompey.

Not the best bargaining position for the club to take if they really want some cash for them.

If they do depart and get replaced, a total of 12 new faces can experience the same process as the previous set of players last season and the season before that... Where is trousers and his Groundhog Day picture?

If they do depart and get replaced, a total of 12 new faces can experience the same process as the previous set of players last season and the season before that

On what planet does turning over nearly all the players every year actually work? Cook looks like he cant plan or manage so instead resorts trying to get lucky by changing the cards.

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/pompey/mcinnes-pompey-exits-needed-1-7470843

These three have been transfer listed since the end of last season, and obviously, there have been no takers who are prepared to match their current deals, and, strangely, they're not interested in moving.

Under such circumstances, a normal club would just suck it up, or loan them out. But at Pompey, villains get hung out to dry (I'm sure we all remember the fully justified hate campaign directed at those unethical anti-Pompey players a few years back who wanted to actually receive a small portion of the money owing to them and didn't care about the passionate support and glorious history).

'My affection for Tubbsy is reasonably well-known and I feel sorry for the boy in the way his career seems to have dived.

‘I still think he is a guy who can do a job for somebody and hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later.

‘We have seen flashes of McGurk being the player people thought he was and Naismith looks like a kid with potential, so none of them are useless.

That's the chairman of a professional football club, there. Jesus Christ.

So they are trying to offload three high-earners and the best the chairman can come up with is "they are not useless".

'My affection for Tubbsy is reasonably well-known and I feel sorry for the boy in the way his career seems to have dived.

‘I still think he is a guy who can do a job for somebody and hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later.

‘We have seen flashes of McGurk being the player people thought he was and Naismith looks like a kid with potential, so none of them are useless.

That's the chairman of a professional football club, there. Jesus Christ.

Unreal [emoji15]

I was trying to access POL atm to see how they're feeling about the new season... When I search on google for it, the search results contain a note to say, "this site may be hacked", and when I try to access the site I get an internal server error... Is it offline? :D

I was trying to access POL atm to see how they're feeling about the new season... When I search on google for it, the search results contain a note to say, "this site may be hacked", and when I try to access the site I get an internal server error... Is it offline? :D

The board is currently being upgraded. Please check back later.

That's the message I get

Have they opened POL to new members again yet? I tried to take a look (after the hilarity of some of the quotes copied to this site), a year or two ago but the site was locked from non-members and they didn't respond to new membership requests for fear of letting in a scummer. (Rightly in my case I guess)

Just thinking...

They raised a reported £750,000 from selling Alan Webster. That's a heck of a lot of money for a League 2 club. They don't really seem to have spent any of it though, and are now even looking to move on the deadwood before doing obvious things like signing a keeper. Could it be that that £750,000 is going to disappear into the black hole that was last season's failed promotion push?

Just thinking...

They raised a reported £750,000 from selling Alan Webster. That's a heck of a lot of money for a League 2 club. They don't really seem to have spent any of it though, and are now even looking to move on the deadwood before doing obvious things like signing a keeper. Could it be that that £750,000 is going to disappear into the black hole that was last season's failed promotion push?

Or perhaps back into the pockets of those who loaned, rather than gifted, money to the club to cover necessary maintenance costs.

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})