Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

A big club somewhen soon will disapear as a result of the current madness of the way football clubs are run. It might be Pompey , it could have been us , but it will happen. Perhaps that is what is needed before the game starts to manage itself properly. Football clubs arent big business, they need to ensure they are around for future generations - and not risk all on the current /next season. Whilst I never want pompey to do well - It would be a sad say if they folded - we are richer for the local rivalry.

Interestingly though there is that comment that teh Premier league wont let it happen - because its a PR disaster and surely indicative of teh pervers nature in which teh finds are divided. But seems to me teh real guity party must surely be teh manger you signed up all those expensive players and teh Chief exec who approved it - surely they dont still love Harry at FP? and yet Mr Storey is also still there... bizzarre...

Bizarre indeed, but perhaps he has a payment clause in his contract that becomes effective if they try to offload him, which they can't afford to pay. Also, I believe that some of the outstanding debts, which could be called in at anytime, are secured against a 'gentlemans' agreement and the owed party. Therefore, shoot the 'gentleman' and the amounts outstanding would probably need to be paid up.

Good old Pompey - sounds like a lose lose situation to me...!

One question for those saying that the Premier League would bail them out to prevent them going into admin: If that did happen and therefore Pompey avoided a 9 pt penalty, what would happen if they then managed to escape relegation? Wouldn't the team who DID get relegated feel obliged to sue the Premier League for taking actions which led directly to them being relegated? Would the Premier League really risk another trip to the law courts after the whole Sheffield Utd vs West Ham nonsense?

Very good question - the PL's dillema..!

A big club somewhen soon will disapear as a result of the current madness of the way football clubs are run. It might be Pompey , it could have been us , but it will happen. Perhaps that is what is needed before the game starts to manage itself properly. Football clubs arent big business, they need to ensure they are around for future generations - and not risk all on the current /next season. Whilst I never want pompey to do well - It would be a sad say if they folded - we are richer for the local rivalry.

I think it was Dave Whealan who predicted as much a couple of years ago - saying that it could happen to a PL club, and he is as good a judge as any I guess.

As for the other sentiments - I agree.

And a bit more from the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/portsmouth/6729702/Portsmouth-players-get-paid-after-emergency-loan.html

Apparently TV money went straight to Arsenal and Watford to pay off some debts but Chelsea are still owed a 'seven-figure sum' for Glenn Johnson.

Still owed on the Armand Traore deal then? And obviously Williamson for Watford, they paid £3million for him!

erm

The Premier League are almost certainly hoping Pompey survive financially until the end of the season but get relegated, so then they can wash their hands of the whole situation and put the ball in the Football League's court instead.

Very likely, I'd have thought - at least as a 'hope'. The problem is, the PL will have to back up their hope with tens of millions of pounds to enable Pompey to trade their way to relegation.

And a bit more from the Telegraph:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/portsmouth/6729702/Portsmouth-players-get-paid-after-emergency-loan.html

Apparently TV money went straight to Arsenal and Watford to pay off some debts but Chelsea are still owed a 'seven-figure sum' for Glenn Johnson.

You cant believe they still owe money on someone who they have already sold on. You would have thought to get permisiion for the move to liverpool they would have had to have cleared any outstanding debt. Just like in the real world, I cant sell a car if I still have finance outstanding on it.

The Premier League are almost certainly hoping Pompey survive financially until the end of the season but get relegated, so then they can wash their hands of the whole situation and put the ball in the Football League's court instead.

And the Football League hope they go bust so they can wash their hands of it and put the ball in the hands of the Blue Square or Southern League.

Hmm, so Balram Chainrai has now loaned Pompey a second 15million in the space of 3 months.

There is something strange about Chainrai's involvement that doesn't quite add up. Chainrai co-founded Ameris Holdings with Levi Kushnir. They then sold a 65% stake of Ameris to none other than Gaydamak snr (you might just remember him! http://www.premierleague.com/page/Headlines/0,,12306~1401503,00.html).

The next twist came last September when Chainrai and Kushnir successfully sued Gaydamak snr for failing to buy the rest of Ameris as agreed. They won the case and were awarded about £16M damages. http://archive.globes.co.il/searchgl/Court%20orders%20Gaydamak%20to%20pay%20Kushnir,%20Chainrai%20$23m_h_hd_2L34nDZaqDbmnC30mDJ0mC34sBcXqRMm0.html

So we now have a situation where the very people loaning the cash to bail out Pompey, are the people who have taken the club's former owner's father through the courts. If you throw in to the mix the rumour that the ground and surrounding land is still owned by Gaydamak Jnr, you start to build up a really complicated picture.

Is Pompey actually being used as a pawn in an Israeli business power struggle? Are Chainrai and Kushnir attempting to get a hold on some of the Gaydamak assets they feel they are owed?

Whatever is happening, I doubt very much that Chainrai and Kushnir have football at the top of their agenda....

Is it just co-incidence that two Israeli's lend money to a skint club who have just appointed an Israeli manager, seemingly at odds with at least one of the board (ie chairman)?

agree 100%. I thought that the PFA loaned the money for the wages or was this denied?

I did make reference to the arms dealer's fragile relationship with the other two a while back, could they perhaps have just jumped in out of spite to take control of the football club? (the only vehicle for Gaydamak to make serious money using the adjacent land)

You have a bloke who has ripped you off, someone offers you the chance to mess with his business deals and cost him money, mmm, tempting.....

Arms dealer senior vetoed their initial involvement and Fahim sold on as a go-between, could the landmine magnate and child-killer see a precarious situation arising if he allowed Faraj control of the club?

All parties could now be locked together in a development suicide pact -

The current owners need both Fahim and Gaydamak onboard to agree any redevelopment that involves expansion.

In turn, to get his money back Gaydamak needs the new owners to repay his loans or redevelop using his land, meaning, they could put the club into admin tomorrow to write off his debt and shaft his schemes.

The arms dealer tried to turn them over, they now have him where they want him, but he also has them fenced into the footprint of the stadium.

Funniest possibility -

Faraj -'You owed us a huge sum and we had to sue you, good luck with your redevelopment next door to the football club that we have just closed, we'll give you a tenner for the land that yesterday was a prime piece of sports stadia development land, and is today a car park next door to our new industrial estate'....

To sum up - who on earth could buy into this complex scenario at the moment, even post-admin you would have to be insane, there are far too many skeletons, and they can't even remember where they buried them themselves.

But as that Blue few pointed out earlier, the third consecutive wages debacle is just a banking glitch over a direct debit.

I did make reference to the arms dealer's fragile relationship with the other two a while back, could they perhaps have just jumped in out of spite to take control of the football club? (the only vehicle for Gaydamak to make serious money using the adjacent land)

You have a bloke who has ripped you off, someone offers you the chance to mess with his business deals and cost him money, mmm, tempting.....

Arms dealer senior vetoed their initial involvement and Fahim sold on as a go-between, could the landmine magnate and child-killer see a precarious situation arising if he allowed Faraj control of the club?

All parties could now be locked together in a development suicide pact -

The current owners need both Fahim and Gaydamak onboard to agree any redevelopment that involves expansion.

In turn, to get his money back Gaydamak needs the new owners to repay his loans or redevelop using his land, meaning, they could put the club into admin tomorrow to write off his debt and shaft his schemes.

The arms dealer tried to turn them over, they now have him where they want him, but he also has them fenced into the footprint of the stadium.

Funniest possibility -

Faraj -'You owed us a huge sum and we had to sue you, good luck with your redevelopment next door to the football club that we have just closed, we'll give you a tenner for the land that yesterday was a prime piece of sports stadia development land, and is today a car park next door to our new industrial estate'....

To sum up - who on earth could buy into this complex scenario at the moment, even post-admin you would have to be insane, there are far too many skeletons, and they can't even remember where they buried them themselves.

But as that Blue few pointed out earlier, the third consecutive wages debacle is just a banking glitch over a direct debit.

This, IMO, is the problem that should causing the fish fiddlers the most sleepless nights.

I can't work out if it's an Arab stitching up a Jew, a Jew stitching up an Arab or an Arab-Jew alliance stitching up a football club.

All we know for certain is that they are at the mercy of a gun runner desperate to get as much money as he can and two skint foreigners who do not appear interested in the long term future of the football club.

The skates should be worried - too many things don't add up, and usually that boils down to something dodgy going on.

if I had a choice in their downfall..this would be it...

as the football league would be far less forgiving than the premier league I reckon..

relegation for the skates followed by the most severe penalties in the CCC....Luton style

should ensure they suffer for a decade I reckon

.and surely the " transfer ban " is because they still owe outstanding sums to various clubs for incomplete transfer deals ?

Yep, the ban is imposed by the Premier League. I can't remember where I read it recently but there was some mention of an unpaid tax bill on top of everything else that they owe.

agree 100%. I thought that the PFA loaned the money for the wages or was this denied?

The telegraph said this...

"The funding was secured after club management and the Professional Footballers' Association had held crisis talks with the players."

It sort of implies that the PFA was involved somehow. Surely they couldn't loan the cash though?!

if I had a choice in their downfall..this would be it...

as the football league would be far less forgiving than the premier league I reckon..

relegation for the skates followed by the most severe penalties in the CCC....Luton style

should ensure they suffer for a decade I reckon

By the time that happens they'll all be in administration and they'll all start off on -27 points. Something's go to happen eventually to sort out this football debt malarkey. Even the big 4 are deeply in debt.

By the time that happens they'll all be in administration and they'll all start off on -27 points. Something's go to happen eventually to sort out this football debt malarkey. Even the big 4 are deeply in debt.

Simple. Wage capping, as standard accross Europe so no particular league suffers.

You'll probably find that every club in the PL is in debt to some extent, I think that Man Utd are in to about 600 million. But this is termed 'manageable debt' - i.e. it can be covered by thier presence in the top flight - creditors are confident that it can be repayed over the terms of the agreement - so long as they maintain current performance.

For the big four - this probably is true (although Liverpool will suffer from the early European exit), however the smaller clubs, Hull, Pompey etc are feeling the pinch and are struggling to 'manage' their debt.

The system is all wrong - when a 'big' club folds (don't know that Pompey qualify there) the PL will probably take steps to act to try to avoid it becoming a trend. The problem is that they will not wish to change the model too much - don't forget, the men at the PL do 'very nicely thank you' due to the world wide brand that they market.

Clubs in debt are here to stay for some time - ain't you just glad that we aren't one of them eh?

I've suddenly thought. This thread would make a cracking book and the beauty is.... it is already written.

Now for a title.

"Sheikh Rattle and Roll"

"The cheque's in the post"

"We bought the Cup but it destroyed us"

"Storrie time"

"Harry's game"

"Portsmouth FC's role in the middle-east conflict"

"Gun-running made simple for footballers"

"how to buy and sell a footie club in 3 weeks"

"how to keep your staff on their toes by not paying them"

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella

I've suddenly thought. This thread would make a cracking book and the beauty is.... it is already written.

Now for a title.

"Sheikh Rattle and Roll"

"We bought the club but it destroyed us"

"Storrie time"

"Harry's game"

How about Spend Spend Spend oh its already been done.

How about Spend Spend Spend 2.

Loans " Gone in 60 seconds "

Now for a title.

"Sheikh Rattle and Roll"

"We bought the club but it destroyed us"

"Storrie time"

"Harry's game"

Fantastic - they should be the Chapters!

They had allegedly got their debt down to 10-million at the start of the season since then they've been allowed to rack up another 40-mill in new loans which have seemingly disappeared into a black hole. But why are several people pouring good money after bad into that black hole.

What incentive is their for anyone to by into that, Seems like they are being used behind the scenes as a pawn to be used & sacrificed doesn't bode well for them.

None of this makes any sense whatsoever I just can't understand what is going on down there.

PL need to look at themselves in this as they are going to end up with a lot of difficult questions to be answered at the end of this sorry saga.

Well its a sorry saga for them very amusing for us.

Simple. Wage capping, as standard accross Europe so no particular league suffers.

American Football has an interesting system. The team that finishes bottom has first pick of the next season's college draft, and every team has a maximum amount that it can spend in total on players' wages, no matter how many players they have. Look at how varied the Superbowl winners are to see how it works. Mind you, franchises there can up sticks and move to another city thousands of miles away.

"Pompeyscott was on later in the thread on the same board saying this wasn't the case and that he had been told by people wqithin the club. His sources say they know how and why this rumour started but it is not the case and soon the there would be an announcement indicating how things are moving for the better, he even said the club ARE pressing ahead to redevelop FP"

LOL

it's a pity if Storrie is on the way out as he drove the bus over the cliff with Harry navigating.

Then again, a few of the debts are being held back by his personal deals with agents and clubs so if they now lose confidence in the new set up and call in their debts....

With his knowledge of the goings on I wouldn't be upsetting him, he could be sat alongside the taxman in court spilling the beans on all and sundry to keep himself out of jail.

Another twist in the great comedy, more dates added due to public demand!

Now for a title.

"Sheikh Rattle and Roll"

"We bought the Cup but it destroyed us"

"Storrie time"

"Harry's game"

How about "Trading Places" where they start of skint , get rich , but end up skint again! :smt040 Edited by SOTONS EAST SIDE

"Pompeyscott was on later in the thread on the same board saying this wasn't the case and that he had been told by people wqithin the club. His sources say they know how and why this rumour started but it is not the case and soon the there would be an announcement indicating how things are moving for the better, he even said the club ARE pressing ahead to redevelop FP"

LOL

No, this is true. What he omitted though, was that it was being redeveloped as a car park...!

Important Information

View Terms of service (Terms of Use) and Privacy Policy (Privacy Policy) and Forum Guidelines ({Guidelines})