Jon Otsemobor signed on 6 month contract

The Fat Controller

Sounds a wise signing, we've needed cover at RB.

That's a new defence sorted would still like to see cover for Lambo in this window so we can stick to a playing style if he needs a rest or picks up a knock. James moving into his DM role gives us cover there for the moment and pressure on MS& DH in the centre

Perhaps the cost of Ward's wage demands threatened this or another deal

A lot of Norwich fans are saying he is lazy and dozy. I reckon the coaching team will sort that out. When Lambert came to us he was overweight and lazy, but he has come out and said how Pards and the coaches have sorted his diet and fitness out, and it's worked a treat.

Considering he has only signed on a 6 month deal I wouldn't be surprised if he is cover for Murty. Murty's out for another 3 weeks and as soon as he has match fitness I wouldn't be surprised to see Otsemobor on the bench.

Norwich is a crap hole, anyone passing within 10 miles of the place probably contracts severe clinical depression. Norwich fans also thought Brynn Gunn was a good manager,in reality probably one of the worst choices ever known to football.

But doesn't this tie in with AP's comment that he was looking at a player not doing so well at his present club, who he thought he may take a punt on? I don't think signing him on a 'free' and giving him a 6 month contract, is any sort of gamble at all really. He might just prove a few people wrong.

Indeed. A nice piece of opportunism by the club. It is also plainly stated on the OS in the first paragraph that he is here to provide competition for the RB slot. This IMO is totally different to us signing a RB on a lengthy contract, as we have done with Fonte and Seaborne.

I would expect that as soon as Murty is fit he will resume, unless JO has made the position his own by then. Who knows, he may not even have played for the 1st team by then! - (that now means he will definitely start at Millwall -d'oh!)

Healthy competition for each place is essential for a winning team.

Hmm, one worrying comment in the OS article that might rule out further CM signings (Danns, Stock).

As LJ's best position is arguably CM, does this mean we're no longer looking to strengthen there?

Arguably really is the point. Lloyd James is a promising right back who has steadily improved and who needs to add consistency to his game. He may prove everyone wrong in the future but he has done nothing so far to suggest he will ever be good enough to play in midfield in the Championship or even in our remaining few games in League One. Whilst the other signings seemed pretty good this one only makes sense if they know Murty is shot and JO is actually there for cover and another option. Whenever we played Norwich he was certainly the player in their back four to be targeted as a weak spot.

Does he play as one? Admittedly I have not seen him much in the centre because Pardew has also played him RM. Shall be interesting to see how we line up. I'm still underwhelmed by the transfer window thus far.

Yep...played there many times in fact its his best position IMO but it also releases him to play on the right as well as cover in front of the "underwhelming" Otsemobor.

But doesn't this tie in with AP's comment that he was looking at a player not doing so well at his present club, who he thought he may take a punt on? I don't think signing him on a 'free' and giving him a 6 month contract, is any sort of gamble at all really. He might just prove a few people wrong.

This is how I feel. Pardew has proven to be very shrewd and our coaching team seem to get the best out of players. I think our new boy may get the last laugh at the Norwich fans.

Norwich is a crap hole, anyone passing within 10 miles of the place probably contracts severe clinical depression. Norwich fans also thought Brynn Gunn was a good manager,in reality probably one of the worst choices ever known to football.

To be fair, they feel for Gunn the same way we feel for Matty. That surely clouded tehir judgement of him (Gunn) in the beginning.

A lot of Norwich fans are saying he is lazy and dozy. I reckon the coaching team will sort that out. When Lambert came to us he was overweight and lazy, but he has come out and said how Pards and the coaches have sorted his diet and fitness out, and it's worked a treat.

Considering he has only signed on a 6 month deal I wouldn't be surprised if he is cover for Murty. Murty's out for another 3 weeks and as soon as he has match fitness I wouldn't be surprised to see Otsemobor on the bench.

This last bit is the most sensible thing on this thread........

FINALLY...A RIGHT BACK!!

Really pleased we finally have a natural full back, an attacking one at that. Should settle our defence much, much more. Allows James to go in the Wotton position which most will be much relieved to see.

6 month is a short contract but wise planning no doubt. I'm confident in the management but seems Cortese doesn't take any sh*t. With the money and backing he's got behind him, he clearly expects certain standards and isn't prepared to bow down to anyone. Still, as long as the club is ran well. I assume Pardew is seeing if we get promotion as to whether we keep Jon (another surname like Morgan's that I can't spell...great!). Then, I guess we'll bring in even better quality. Prudent planning it seems.

Overall, really chuffed we have recognise full backs, as well as Fonte in the middle and back up at the back. Now we can concentrate on maybe installing a natural left winger (unless we push Harding up) to balance our shape, and an attacking midfielder. It's good to finally be getting some depth and competition in the squad. Good on the Saints! Millwall will be an interesting game. Wish I was going!

Need a proper right back as James isn't, Murty is a bit of a sick note so Otsewotsit can fill in the gaps when Murty's injured. Have more midfield cover now with James there so I'd like us to sign a quality striker and I'll be happy!

Cortese isn't going to be splashing a absolute fortune so I think the signings so far are pretty wise.

One more excellent signing of a striker and I'll be happy for this window!

We are in League One!!! We have a manager from above this level who hasn`t put a foot wrong (yet!). We have signed players like Lambert, Hammomd, Jaidi, Fonte etc. We have spent more than anyone else in this division. We have just signed a player who played for Liverpool and was rated by a lot of Scousers and has had a couple of good seasons in divisions above ours and you`re underwhelmed! I hope that the powers-that-be don`t take too much notice of the whingers on here who condemn players before they have even kicked a ball for us!!

You're a right drama queen. Do you want to reread my post and tell me how I've condemned any of our players? I think I expressly implied that I would reserve judgement until I've seen them play but that signing a League One cast-off isn't exactly exciting. How you can start ranting at that, I haven't a clue.

You certainly live up to your name.

Good signing, even if he did always remind me of a poor-man's Glen Johnson.

At least if he has a lapse he has the blistering pace to make a recovery.

Hope the coaches can keep him on his toes and stop him from getting lazy, the 6 month contract should mean he's keen to impress. Anyone know if it's still Wally Downes doing our defensive coaching? I wouldn't want him shouting at me!

My best mate is a NCFC fan and I do keep an eye on what is going on at their club.

Like most city fans he doesnt rate him!

He's his response when I asked what he was like, but I knew what respomnse I would get.

Ur welcome to him, he came with a lot of potential, always like to mention from the Liverpool youth team!!! He is got to be the quickest footballer around, he is lightning quick!!! But that's it really should have been a sprinter, he is a big fella but doesn't use his strength, gets pushed off the ball too easily and doesn't like to tackle which is a pre-requisite of a defender. Apart from that a bloody good player!!!

Dont expect much.

My best mate is a NCFC fan and I do keep an eye on what is going on at their club.

Like most city fans he doesnt rate him!

He's his response when I asked what he was like, but I knew what respomnse I would get.

Ur welcome to him, he came with a lot of potential, always like to mention from the Liverpool youth team!!! He is got to be the quickest footballer around, he is lightning quick!!! But that's it really should have been a sprinter, he is a big fella but doesn't use his strength, gets pushed off the ball too easily and doesn't like to tackle which is a pre-requisite of a defender. Apart from that a bloody good player!!!

Dont expect much.

Unless of course we are going to use him in front of Lloyd James. Let James do the donkey work at the back and use Jon's speed in front of him.

Unless we go to a back 3 of Fonté,Seaborne with Perry sweeping.

You're a right drama queen. Do you want to reread my post and tell me how I've condemned any of our players? I think I expressly implied that I would reserve judgement until I've seen them play but that signing a League One cast-off isn't exactly exciting. How you can start ranting at that, I haven't a clue.

You certainly live up to your name.

Yours was the last of a number of posts that used the words "underwhelming", "disappointing" etc. I just annoys me that some people on here seem to have forgotten where we were a year ago and where we are now. I know that football is all about opinions, but let`s at least see the lad play before dismissing him.

Hi all, I'm a Norwich fan living in Southampton...it seems you've summed up Semi already reading some of the comments.

Basically, imo, when he can be arsed he can be a great asset going forward - no real skill, and his crossing is pretty shoddy at best, but his pace more than makes up for it.

Defensively is another matter, maybe he lost a lot of confidence being in such an incredibly ****e side last season but he is usually average at best when defending...just seems generally nervous and tackling isn't his strong point.

Overall, if he's awake and can be bothered he's a good player at this level, but if he's half asleep then he's far from it. After signing Martin he went down to our 3rd choice RB.

Maybe a new start and short contract is the kick (or gunshot) up his arse that he needs, best of luck to him and Saints for the rest of the season though.

Big laughs once again at those who are "underwhelmed" or "unimpressed". I just don't know what they're expecting, I really don't. It's another signing in a position which needed strengthening and it's free, so a no risk situation.

Just the fact that we're signing players should please us, remember where we were last year? Most clubs in this league would take Fonte, Seaborne and Otsemobor with open arms and are looking our way with envy.

Be happy people. It's not as bad as you think! :)

I just don't think Schneiderlin and Hammond in the centre is the answer. We need a tougher Wotton type player IMO (just better obviously!) to provide the defence with more cover. I really think a striker is important. If Lambert gets injured then who do we have???

James is that Wotton type player; Charlton away he sat in front of the back four while the other two centre mids did their stuff, and did a cracking job. Now we have a right back James can play in midfield and Hammond and Schneiderlin can become more attacking.

Fun and games.

You're too kind :|

Hate to hear how you'd describe Pompey...went there when they played Arsenal a few weeks ago, "interesting" ground and surrounding area to say the least.

I think you'd be hard pushed to find a Norwich fan who thought it was a good idea to put Gunn in charge too...unfortunately fans don't make the decisions :mad:

No idea if Jon is any good, but an attacking right back sounds just the ticket so long as he can defend. I hope he is pacey, anyone confirm that?

Pardew has done it again. Just when I thought he had ignored our weak spot he goes and get a player to fill it. I think that puts to bed once and for all any idea that AP buys players in positions he already has enough quality in (as said by Charlton fans when he joined us) - unless of course you think Perry, Lancashire and Thomas were the answer for the second half of the season.

6 month contract - no brainer.

I wonder when we are going to ship a few out?

James is that Wotton type player; Charlton away he sat in front of the back four while the other two centre mids did their stuff, and did a cracking job. Now we have a right back James can play in midfield and Hammond and Schneiderlin can become more attacking.

Fun and games.

whilst at Colchester and Leeds he was toal **** in that role.

Need a proper right back as James isn't, Murty is a bit of a sick note so Otsewotsit can fill in the gaps when Murty's injured. Have more midfield cover now with James there so I'd like us to sign a quality striker and I'll be happy!

Cortese isn't going to be splashing a absolute fortune so I think the signings so far are pretty wise.

One more excellent signing of a striker and I'll be happy for this window!

You could be right about the striker Saint_Ash, however, I think AP should look longer and harder at Jamie White; okay I am bias in that his Dad is a very good friend of mine, but I really believe that Jamie could do a good job linking up with Lambert; he just needs a real chance to show what he can do.

Norwich is a pretty decent city to visit IMO.

Blaming Norwich fans for Gunn is the same me blaming you for Steve Wigley.

My missus tells me he's a lazy player, but when he's really on his game he can shine.

IMO a free transfer and only a 6 month contract means he'll be working hard for a contract extension or a move. Gives James licence to move back into midfield.

Norwich is a pretty decent city to visit IMO.

Blaming Norwich fans for Gunn is the same me blaming you for Steve Wigley.

Nope I've been there, had an ex-fiancée from the dump even. I would never knowingly go there again.

Anyway I didn't blame them for choosing him, Delia's fault that but they thought he was a good manager all the same.

Hi all, I'm a Norwich fan living in Southampton...it seems you've summed up Semi already reading some of the comments.

Basically, imo, when he can be arsed he can be a great asset going forward - no real skill, and his crossing is pretty shoddy at best, but his pace more than makes up for it.

Defensively is another matter, maybe he lost a lot of confidence being in such an incredibly ****e side last season but he is usually average at best when defending...just seems generally nervous and tackling isn't his strong point.

Overall, if he's awake and can be bothered he's a good player at this level, but if he's half asleep then he's far from it. After signing Martin he went down to our 3rd choice RB.

Maybe a new start and short contract is the kick (or gunshot) up his arse that he needs, best of luck to him and Saints for the rest of the season though.

A mixed bag then - probably worth a 6 month contract.

Thanks for the summary Unisaint although I think we can do without talk of gunshots up the arse thank you very much.

Edited by saintbletch
speeling

Thanks for the summary Unisaint although I think we can do without talk of gunshots up the arse thank you very much.

Not sure if that was in gest or if you missed the posts about him having previously been shot in the arse.

Obviously, I don't condone shooting people in the arse - no matter how crap they are ;)

I think the old git has a point, and if he really was a miserable old git, he probably wouldn't use that nickname! Your initial post was actually very negative despite what you say now, but you're not the only one who behaves like this. This forum does represent a good portion of Saints fans and I think it's worth bearing in mind that anyone can read it, and it's distinctly possible that some representatives of the club do so.

A s I pointed out in the thread confirming Antonio's loan was extended, how should we expect him to feel if he read some of the abuse on that thread? Likewise, how would we expect ML, Cortese or the player involved to feel if they some reactions similar to yours?

I realise everyone has a right to an opinion but I think some are inconsidered.I find it sad that we can be so negative so quickly. That's not being a drama queen, that's just an opinion.

I'm not sure what sort of striker we should be going for, someone to compliment Lambert or someone to act as cover?

Ostemebor signing and Murty coming back to fitness will mean James gets more chance in midfield so Waigo can play upfront.

On the other hand we've got Paterson who looks lively who can play the Lambert role.

Cover definitely IMO.

Connolly and Waigo are Championship quality players who can play alongside him, and Lallana could also play centrally if we really needed.

However, if Lambert got injured we would be pretty easy to dominate.

Reading that forum they seem delighted to have gotten rid of a fairly poor squad player on inflated wages...

Ask yourself how many Saints fans were delighted when we got shot of Kevin Davies (2nd time), Rory Delap or Ricardo Fuller to name but three. And how many wouldn't want them back in the squad now?

All where slated in their time at Saints, but have gone on to flourish elsewhere. Admittedly there are plenty who have left we weren't sad to see the back of that have sunk withiout a trace, and a few we were devasted to see leave who have done the same!

Basically give Ostemobor and Seaborne for that matter a chance and bugger what some fans thought of them at their last clubs.

Not sure if that was in gest or if you missed the posts about him having previously been shot in the arse.

Obviously, I don't condone shooting people in the arse - no matter how crap they are ;)

Genuine gratitude for you taking the time to poste a summary of the player and definitely in jest. Also glad that you don't condone arse shooting for footballers.

Not wanting to bring the tone of the thread down but it was the "up the arse" of your previous post as opposed to "in the arse" bit I was referring to.

From what I read of JO's injury it was more at a distance/Forrest Gump style than one that required the insertion of a firearm...I should have left this well alone...moving on...

The guy has only signed a six-month contract so we're hardly taking a gamble on him, and he's got a lot of work to do to earn a longer deal. It's a free transfer as well and Pards has sorted out a problem position for us by signing a player with plenty of experience in this division.

Lets give the lad a chance to impress, who knows, he might impress us! If he is poor, then he'll get released in the summer. He might even be a short-term option whilst we look to sign a 'bigger' name in the summer.

In Geordie speak...something like.. Oh So MORE:D

can't be any funnier than that story from former Leeds / England.. Jack Charlton.

Leeds drew the Hungarian outfit Upjest Dojsa (or something similar) three or four times in a row in Euro competitions in the 1970's. None of the Leeds lads could get their tongue round that, so they called the " Uppsy Daisy" instead !:)

Could be a wise signing. Like has already been said, a player with some heritage on a free with a six month contract - it's a no brainer. As for those peeps underwelmed (including the Norwich numpties), I have one word for you - TEAM - and Jon O may well thrive alongside the specific players in our squad. I remember Harding getting a real pasting on here from some when he first joined but now he's putting in MOTM appearances week in-week out. It was the same for Andrew Davies. Give the guy time and let's see what he can do as a Saint...he'll soon be found out if it's a mistake because we'll all be comparing him to James.

christ, if anyone was a little nervous about Seaborne after reading the Exeter forum, they'll be shaking when you read the Norwich forum about Otsemobor http://www.pinkun.com/cs_pinkun/cs/forums/3/1959516/ShowPost.aspx#1959516

"Firstly we signed him as a free agent so my guess is he was probably on a decent wage, which is ok if your in the side and playing regularly - but if you are back up then its a bit of a waste of cash. Secondly you couldn't really stick him on the bench as cover because he can only play one position, Lambert has always opted to field 'attacking' benches with minimal defensive cover and with this in mind Spillane is a better bet (and a player who was in a real rich vein of form before he got injured).

There is no doubt that Semi has ability, and enough pace to give Usain Bolt a decent race, but how many times did he use it effectively. One decent performance out of four isn't good enough and the bloke next to me made a great point against Millwall - if he cut out the lapses in concentration and dozyness he would still be at Liverpool.

Time and again he dallied in possesion, and I was never confident when he was in the team, because a successful game for him was getting through ninety minutes without dropping a clanger. How many times was there space to run into on the overlap and he stood on the halfway line wondering what everyone was getting on his back for, how many times did it take him three touches to get the ball under control, how many times did he turn back inside into trouble when a clipped ball down the line was a much better 'out', or take his eye off the ball for a split second as the ball rolled out for a throw in!

Nothing against Semi, and wish him luck at Saints, they've obviously just gone on the number of games he's played (when realistically we didn't have anyone else to play there), rather than scouting him - and as others have said, it has to weaken their promotion bid a tad!"

this one is slightly better

"Semi had the potential, I love a full back who can go forward and be a threat his pace was brilliant... alas when he went forward no-one offered him an option... defensively he had no one capable of covering if he went forward

we now have a lack of pace in our back four which is a must if we intend to continue to move forward... happy with the cover

as many have said if only mcveigh, cureton and theo would follow and as I have said before Iexpect lappin and doc to leave in s ummer... we need to get rid of the deadwood from last season and the season before who offer us nothing but a large dent in our wages

semi will do fine at saints, I believe he is a capable championship defender but only if he has a good defence around him... as said I feel we are more than adequate in this division... however next year our current defence is no better than a lower mid table defence

good luck semi... but feel it is a good move and hopefully one of many before the end of the year and I hope lambert continues not to offer new contracts to our deadwood"

Edited by Chez