Jason Puncheon

Bailey

Fully aware that there were a number of quality displays from our lot today, but thought Puncheon deserved a thread of his own.

He made a big impression on his home debut; hopefully there is plenty more to come too! Have to say, he is similar to Lallana but probably more direct. His pace and power will prove to be a real asset and I look forward to seeing him in a Saints shirt again on Tuesday night.

Fantastic to have the option of switching Lallana and Jason throughout the game as well, with both players proving to be equally as effective on either flank. Pards might have pulled off a mini coup by securing JP's signature, but we'll see if he can produce displays like today on a regular basis first.

Not one of our first eleven today are below average for league 1. Any other team in the league would want any of our starting eleven

Agree, and that includes Otsemobor, who was obviously released by Norwich. Can't really tell why at this moment in time, has great pace, gets up and down the wing and can put in a decent ball. As a chap behind me said today "what are we doing with a pacy right-back", first time I can remember us having one (Ostlund was fairly quick before getting fat) and looks like a very good asset.

doesnt seem to shoot much? Even on the favoured left peg

I noticed how he blew his shot, that brought his goal, in with a big breath. No simple shooting for our Mr Puncheon. ;)

And if I heard, over the commentary, how Puncheon had gone round the defender once, I think I heard it half a dozen times. He was OK.

Didn't think he was that amazing. Quality all round player, but lacked the pace and strength of Antonio. That bald left back dealt with him well for the first half I think Fair enough it was 3-1 (at half time) but they were a sh!t team.

Not sure what game you were watching in the first half, that was when Puncheon was most dangerous, the baldie was better second half.

Our attacking four- Lallana , Punch , Lambert and Barnard caused their defence so many problems- they gave us space and we punished them :)

I noticed how he blew his shot, that brought his goal, in with a big breath. No simple shooting for our Mr Puncheon. ;)

And if I heard, over the commentary, how Puncheon had gone round the defender once, I think I heard it half a dozen times. He was OK.

wasnt saying he was carp. Just at wycombe he played down the right and in the second half especially he did the full back, came inside but didnt seem to want to shoot

Superb, definatly my MOTM. Held onto the ball a bit too long a few times but that aside a very impressive performance.

Going forward, we surely have the best players in this division by some distance with him, Lallana on 15 odd goals, Lambert & Barnard up front & still Connolly to come back into the fold.

And Waigo, top scorer in the JPT :D

Thought he was fantastic yesterday, reminded me a lot of Belmadi

Off topic I know, but what a player Belmadi was on his day (when he wasn't injured). I remember him seeming to be the only exciting creative player we had around that time.

Puncheon ? Didn't go to the match but he looks/sounds exciting - love a player that runs at the opposition.

Off topic I know, but what a player Belmadi was on his day (when he wasn't injured). I remember him seeming to be the only exciting creative player we had around that time.

Puncheon ? Didn't go to the match but he looks/sounds exciting - love a player that runs at the opposition.

He was brilliant. People won't want to hear this but IMO, if Belmadi had stayed fit in our first season down and Quashie hadn't got a silly four match ban for a red card away to Hull (I think), I reckon Saggychops might've got us back up that year.

The Leeds home match was the nail in the coffin IMO. If we'd won that I would've fancied us but it seemed to destroy confidence (not too surprising I suppse!)

quality signing and my MOM yesterday, just in front of spiderman who was class also, especially how he brought the ball down and laid it off in the 1st half after some head tennis from others followed by a hoof up in the air, his touch to bring it under control was different class

I thought he added a balance to the side that has been missing. He also seems to me to be an intelligent footballer, who linked well with AL Lambert and Barnard. One swallow doesnt make a summer but a cgood start, let's hope it is the first of many.

Edited by OldNick
dont want5 people to get the wrong idea

He was very good.

Fonte, Puncheon, Lambert, Barnard, Harding, Lallana and Davis are all contenders for best in their position in League One. Not bad when you can say that about half of your first team.

What with Lallana. one of my faves....Snodgrass from Leeds and Brunt from WBA and while we are at it...Hoolahan from Norwich:rolleyes:

Rooney, Messi and Torres when we arrive back in the top league..:D

COYRs

Edited by ottery st mary

He was the best player on the pitch against us for MK Dons earlier in the season and yesterday's performance justified his billing. I couldn't get to Norwich but told he was superb up there as well. As for Plymouth, unlike TDD he couldn't settle down in the deep South West and hence was loaned out. Got a mate who is a Barnet fan and says he was very popular when there as well. Just needs a home now and could be ideal for both parties.

Makes you wonder why Plymouth, a ****e CCC side, firstly loaned him out, and then sold him to us? Odd.

I read on an Argyle forum that he "couldn't settle" and wanted to be nearer London.No idea if its true of course.

A poster suggested if he joined us then this would show this to be rubbish and that it was an excuse.Someone else pointed out the respective distances between London and both Southampton and Plymouth.

I think hes a fantastic player and he can tear teams up him and Lallana on the wings with Lambert and Banard upfront is a fantastic attacking line up, just need to make sure they stay fit and the goals will come and the playoffs, as long as one of the CM who ever it may be sits and supports the defence, i think all games were winning with 10-15mins to go we should bring on Wotton and let him sit and protect are lead.

He was brilliant. People won't want to hear this but IMO, if Belmadi had stayed fit in our first season down and Quashie hadn't got a silly four match ban for a red card away to Hull (I think), I reckon Saggychops might've got us back up that year.

The Leeds home match was the nail in the coffin IMO. If we'd won that I would've fancied us but it seemed to destroy confidence (not too surprising I suppse!)

I totally agree with you - I was so happy whenever Belmadi was selected, he was one of the few players in that squad we wouldn't have needed to replace had we gone up in 05-06 or 06-07. Real quality.

Puncheon, Fonte and Lallana..three very top class players backed up by the rest of the lads....in what is clearly an emerging first class side..

Alan Pardew you are a very astute football man......Sorry Mr Merrington could not even tie your boot laces..

"To be fair, Adam", he might tie one boot, but he really needs a second boot soon. ;-)

K.

Didn't think he was that amazing. Quality all round player, but lacked the pace and strength of Antonio. That bald left back dealt with him well for the first half I think... Fair enough it was 3-1 (at half time) but they were a sh!t team.

hhhmm, as others have said...really not sure what game you were watching. Puncheon turned him inside out first half.

Agree with OP he had a great game he is a big lad no lightwieght winger good goal caused havoc yet another quality AP signing.

The whole team played well but special mention for Fonte (class) Morgan (bossed the game) Ostenwotsits (much much better) Lambert (the number of flick on he won and his hold up link play immense deserved his goal) Barnard (great 2nd goal another good AP signing)

I could of mentioned a few more we played that well but these players are the ones that stood out for me on a decent pitch we have got a lot of quality

Didn't think he was that amazing. Quality all round player, but lacked the pace and strength of Antonio. That bald left back dealt with him well for the first half I think... Fair enough it was 3-1 (at half time) but they were a sh!t team.

That bald left back had an excellent game considering his team lost 5-1, barely put a foot wrong. Puncheon did well but had to work hard to get anything.