Andrew Surman Has Been Told He Can Leave.

View From The Top

I know someone who works at Wolves in an player admin role so I contacted them after reading the thread this morning.

Surman was told last week that he could look for a new club as he wasn't required at WWFC.

8 players including Chris Iwelumo and Richard Stearman were given the same message.

Make of that what you will

I know someone who works at Wolves in an player admin role so I contacted them after reading the thread this morning.

Surman was told last week that he could look for a new club as he wasn't required at WWFC.

8 players including Chris Iwelumo and Richard Stearman were given the same message.

Make of that what you will

Wolves are in money trouble ?

Feel sorry for Drew, Lowe has screwed him up too.

No money troubles, just letting players go as we did and letting players know that they can find a new club.

The manager met with the board last Thursday regarding player releases and targets and the players all went on their jollies on Friday as it's only admin staff there for the next few weeks.

I know a couple of academy kids at Wolves and one has told me that Drew has never been happy at Wolves and that he always talks very fondly of Saints. Not much I know but maybe this has some legs that he could consider a return here?

IMO would be great to see him come back, Saints through and through.

I know a couple of academy kids at Wolves and one has told me that Drew has never been happy at Wolves and that he always talks very fondly of Saints. Not much I know but maybe this has some legs that he could consider a return here?

IMO would be great to see him come back, Saints through and through.

He would have to take a pay cut. And find the form he had in previous seasons, not the last one he had with us or the one he has just had. So much as the idea sounds good in an ideal world, for these reasons its a bad idea sadly and I doubt it will happen

Not really surprised Surman didn't make it at Wolves, although admittedly his injury did him no favours. Just never thought he was quite good enough for the Prem; not strong enough for a central midfielder and not quick enough for a left winger. Still would make a good Championship player though, so it would be a bit of a coup if he did return, but I'd expect him to set his sights higher than us unfortunately. Plus his wages would be Prem level.

Personally, with a midfield of Stock, Surman, Spiderman, Puncheon, Hammond and Antonio, I think we rip the league up! Yes, they can't all play, but we really need strength in depth to last the season!

And Lallana......

What the heck has Lowe got to do with Surman?

Most Saints fans were in agreement last summer that Surman needed major improvement to become a decent PL player

He made good money at Wolves, but McCarthy obviously realises the guy isn't good enough

I suppose Lowe is responsible for his lack of talent eh?

he is a good player no doubt, but you don't just buy good players for the sake of it.

Where would he fit in our team? he doesn't really, although he is very good cover for morgan but to suggest he could replace Hammond is laughable. That is not a reflection of his ability, nor do I think Hammond has great abiltiy, rather their role in the team.

Then again we have released 13 players, all depends on AP at the end of the day

Anyone who thinks he isn't good enough for us needs their head looking at. He was doing very well for us in the Championship (+ he spent time at Bournemouth playing in L1 and excelled then). Im sure if the offer was right he would return.

While we're at it i'd have Iwelumo as well as he'd be perfect back up for Lamber IMO.

I remember him against Sheff Utd on the last day of the season 2 years back. He was head and shoulders above everyone else on the team.

As for his role in the team. He could easily challenge for a place on the left wing and possibly even be a backup for left back. He's a quality player at this level and I think will be much better than he was in his last season for us under the proper guidence and management we have in place now.

Where would he play for us?

He's never shown himself to hold down a central midfield role, we have Lallana playing very well at left midfield, Harding very well at left back. So right midfield?

He's a fairly decent footballer, better than league 1 standard, but I really don't see where he fits in.

And Iwelumo is dire.

We need midfield cover, he fits it perfectly.

I reckon he would be challenging Hammond as well.

I think his history with Saints will carry little weight with AP or NC for that matter.

No but they'll certainly be aware of it, and they'll realise that it'll probably make it easier to attract him to the club as opposed to other top CCC players with no affiliations to Saints.

Where would he play for us?

He's never shown himself to hold down a central midfield role, we have Lallana playing very well at left midfield, Harding very well at left back. So right midfield?

He's a fairly decent footballer, better than league 1 standard, but I really don't see where he fits in.

And Iwelumo is dire.

We need another quality midfielder and this shown throughout last season. He'd push Morgan and Hammond for a place in the centre as the minute there is no competition for a place there. He'd give us an option on the left or right of midfield if Puncheon or Lallana are not fit (presuming Antonio does not sign)

I would welcome Surman back in a heartbeat. He's a good kid with a level head on his shoulders. Would fit nicely into our squad of midfielders. Can cover for both Morgan and Lallana.

And do you think he'd be content with just being "cover" for 2 players younger than he ?

Plus he'll be far too expensive for us. I can see him coming back under one circumstance..either Lallana or morgan leaving.

Anyway it's up to AP isn't it, whether he likes Surmans style of play who knows.

Surman would be a great little coup for us TBH, i would love to see him back here, and after a season of nothing at Wolves i am sure he would welcome a return with fire in his belly.

He always looked pretty good for me and is definately a better footballer than Hammond and would certainly provide cover if nothing else.

Iwelumo ?? Hmm, i can see the point that Stevo made, we do need someone to cover Lambert, problem is, there are not many players that would happily be his understudy.

I think his history with Saints will carry little weight with AP or NC for that matter.

Didn't Cortese blame Pinnacle/Begbies for delaying his and Markus's takeover, and thus for Saint's season getting off to a slow start, and he specifically mentioned that they lost one or two decent players as a result of this dithering?

Suggests to me that he would have been happy to have retained Surman (and McGoldrick?), thus one can conclude he'd be happy to see him back.

I reckon.

Edited by trousers

What the heck has Lowe got to do with Surman?

Most Saints fans were in agreement last summer that Surman needed major improvement to become a decent PL player

He made good money at Wolves, but McCarthy obviously realises the guy isn't good enough

I suppose Lowe is responsible for his lack of talent eh?

Are you a Saints fan or not ?

Even I, over here in Austria, know that he was sold against his wishes by Lowe trying to prop his f**ked regime up for a bit longer.

Didn't Cortese blame Pinacle/Begbies for delaying his and Markus's takeover for Saint's season getting off to a slow start and he specifically mentioned that they lost one or two decent players as a result of the dithering?

Suggests to me that he would have been happy to have retained Surman (and McGoldrick?) thus one can conclude he'd be happy to see him back.

I reckon.

Except that since then we've been shopping for players, which will have changed the outlook completely.

Even I, over here in Austria, know that he was sold against his wishes by Lowe trying to prop his f**ked regime up for a bit longer.

Are you a Saints fan or not?

Everyone knows he was sold by administrators. You idiot. It has nothing to do with Lowe.

Nearly 3 months after we went into admin and Lowe departed?

Drew was sold by the administrators...to keep the club plugging along whilst Pinnacle tarted about and 99.5% of Saints fans drooled over them. Only the very enlightened saw through it (that would be FF and WC then).

But I guess you knew all that and are being what is oft called "ironic" on this forum (although most of the time it's just sarcasm).

Rupert Lowe left 2nd April 2009

Andrew Surman left 1st July 2009

Markus Liebherr takeover 8th July 2009

alpine_saint owned? ;) :D

Edited by Matthew Le God

Nearly 3 months after we went into admin and Lowe departed?

Drew was sold by the administrators...to keep the club plugging along whilst Pinnacle tarted about and 99.5% of Saints fans drooled over them. Only the very enlightened saw through it (that would be FF and WC then).

But I guess you knew all that and are being what is oft called "ironic" on this forum (although most of the time it's just sarcasm).

erhm, Tyre Kicker

Even though Drew left a couple of months after Lowe?

My recollection was that he did not really want to go but was left with little choice. Plus - it was not Lowe who sold him but the administrator in order to keep us going a while longer. We probably got less than he was worth. And to those who seem to be rubbishing him - get real - he was one of our best performers over 3 years. He can do a good job for use at this level and above and if we can sign him cheaply then it seems to be a bargain to me. AP will make the decision, not any of us, but it would not come as a surprise if he did sign him. We need more than 4 midfielders for the season if we are to go for automatic promotion.