Chamberlain fined by the club...

bowers-sfc

Given that this is an Echo report, while accurate it might be slightly old information. What this might tell me is that, given Puncheon is still here reportedly working his socks off with the youth team, PERHAPS there is a chance that he will stay if OxO is sold? We've know that often there is a long line of player transfers lined up which depend on the first one acting as a catalyst for the rest to happen. Get the right offer for OxO come in and we could see Puncheon back in the red'n'white next season. :uhoh:

I suspect it's a bit like the FA Cup game against Blackpool. He'll look interested if he thinks he'll get a transfer out of it. Watch out for a loan move to Totton.....

If The Echo have categorical evidence that Chamberlain has been fined, why don't they specify how much?

Maybe Chamberlain told them he had been fined, but didn't want to reveal his weekly wage.

I suspect it's a bit like the FA Cup game against Blackpool. He'll look interested if he thinks he'll get a transfer out of it. Watch out for a loan move to Totton.....

he looks interested in every game he plays IMO. Playing badly doesn't always indicate a lack of interest.

I wonder if this is the attitude of the rest of the academy?

Our academy has long been thought of as very good and plenty of kids have come through our system and onto good clubs with good wages. Do the current crop of youth think we are nothing more than a stepping stone to bigger clubs?

If so it is something that needs to be changed ASAP. The kids we bring into the academy need to have the drive to want to be part of making our 1st team a success. Not to have their heads turned at the 1st sign of external interest. To trust that the club will allow them to move on if the deal is right for all concerned but primarily to trust that the club will give them a very good career so long as they are comitted to the club.

Whats James Ward-Prowse like? Is his plan to get noticed by a big club while he is with us? Or to help us achieve something? If our plan is to supply our own team with products from the academy then team members must be aware that they are unlikly to spend their entire career here so why not plan to stay till early 20's? If they then want to move on and have helped us do something great then teams will be queing up to buy them would they not?

Said on Solent this morning that, despite the tabloid speculation, Arsenal are the only club who've actually made a bid for him. Arsenal therefore probably aren't offering anything like what Cortese wants. They are just hoping to unsettle him enough so that we accept their offer. The sort of behaviour that Wenger always whinges about, but then indulges in himeself - he really is one of the game's biggest hyprocrites.

Cortese is right in standing up to the bully boys - he has the club's best interests at heart. To be honest, when Oxo was out injured, we didn't really miss him that much - the results just got better and better! However, he has the potential to be a very good player, but a year in the Championship will give us a better idea of his abilities.

The lad is quicker than the average opponent, is confident, creates chances and scores his share of goals. He is still very young and has been extremely lucky to be in a club that has given him opportunities. Having said all that, he is not a brainy or subtle player and often disappears or gets himself into positions that completely negate his pace. He will be up against better players, teams and defensive organisation than he was last year. He may yet find that the team as a whole will find a level in comparison to last year that will entail struggling to make an impression on better sides and cause him to be needed to be more aware of defensive duties. I think he may struggle next year unless we find players that are able to give him the sort of incisive passes when we are under pressure that will allow him to run past defenders.

I personally think in the light of his fathers influence and the obvious preference to move that it would be better to let him go and bring in a proven mature championship attacker, plus a couple more than we would otherwise have brought in. The club announced on BBC Solent this morning that nobody except Arsenal had been in touch since Liverpool's derisory bid last year and they didn't want to pay up front but wanted a staged incentivised fee and loan him back for a period. It appears that Premier clubs don't value him at the same price as Saints because he is for 2/3 years time for them, whilst he is currently in Saints first team and therefore is valued as a first teamer here.

I'm not sure a deal can even be done and that he and his family are hoping to force a deal at Arsenal's terms rather than Saints. If we can get the deal we want or near, we should let him go, because this won't get any better in terms of him being settled or causing disruption. The boy may never get much better or he could be a star at the highest level but at the level he is at at the moment we can replace him. It may well be that nothing will happen because Cortese will hold out and Arsenal etc will either have to **** or get off the pot. In which case Alex will have to perform or be treated like Puncheon which will do him no good at all as he needs to play and impress or he will go nowhere.

Edited by derry

I wonder if this is the attitude of the rest of the academy?

Our academy has long been thought of as very good and plenty of kids have come through our system and onto good clubs with good wages. Do the current crop of youth think we are nothing more than a stepping stone to bigger clubs?

If so it is something that needs to be changed ASAP. The kids we bring into the academy need to have the drive to want to be part of making our 1st team a success. Not to have their heads turned at the 1st sign of external interest. To trust that the club will allow them to move on if the deal is right for all concerned but primarily to trust that the club will give them a very good career so long as they are comitted to the club.

Whats James Ward-Prowse like? Is his plan to get noticed by a big club while he is with us? Or to help us achieve something? If our plan is to supply our own team with products from the academy then team members must be aware that they are unlikly to spend their entire career here so why not plan to stay till early 20's? If they then want to move on and have helped us do something great then teams will be queing up to buy them would they not?

It cant be changed. If one of the Top 5 clubs want you and I class Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool want you the chance of you retaining a player are highly remote.

Everton couldnt keep Rooney (Everton supposedly through and through)

Blackburn couldnt keep Jones (Blackburn through and through)

Leeds couldnt keep Ferdinand

Newcastle couldnt keep Carroll (Newcastle through and through)

Money talks nowadays

It cant be changed. If one of the Top 5 clubs want you and I class Man Utd, Man City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool want you the chance of you retaining a player are highly remote.

Money talks nowadays

I think others have mentioned the age of 21 and figuring out some kind of rules that work for both club and player. I think we need to be at least trying to convince kids that when they sign up as youngens with us that they are with us till 21 at least. They may turn out rubbish but will be secure with us until 21 as we will give them world class training and facilities. They may turn out amazing and once they reach 21 and they may be offered a good deal with us or given the opertunity to move on.

It requires some backing from us and a loyalty from the youth.

The idea is nice but like you say, Money talks nowadays so its all pie in the sky ideas. :(

I'm afraid,like it or not chambo will be going and I for one wish him the best of luck......I don't like it but if it was my boy I would encourage him to do exactly the same,I'd be a fool not to.

Ok,so he doesn't get regular first team football for a couple of years at Liverpool or arsenal or whoever decides to pay the inflated price,but what he does get is a wage that will see him and his family financially secure for the rest of his life,we all want the best for our kids and I'm afraid that in these times of greed,cash is king.

I don't agree with players forcing a move,breaking contracts,greed and the lack of loyalty but that is the way it is and we have to put up with it until such time as more power is taken away from the players and handed back to the clubs which will probably never happen.

Tbh is chambo worth £10m?? I don't think so but if he's going then it's time to cash in sooner rather than later so it doesn't disrupt our plans for the new season IMO.

NC is doing the right thing by fining the boy because if he didn't then the others would think it's ok to tout themselves around in the media.....not that the fine matters too much to a very rich young man.

As I said before,getting £10m plus add ons for a player with little experience who cost peanuts to nurture is very very good business and I for one am happy for that to happen.

Let's face it,we will never be able to compete consistently with the big boys and even if we could manage to finish in the top half of the prem (when we get there) for the next 10 years we will still have a fight on our hands to keep young talent as we havnt got the glamour,pulling power and finances the big clubs have and we never will.

I'm not sure about the whole 21 thing. I think 18 would be a better age. Let's say Saints were in the sh*te right now, on a downward spiral towards the lower leagues... 2008 basically. This would clearly be a poor environment for a tallent like AOC to be plying his football. But for a Liebherr intervening, Alex could hypothetically be playing for a struggling League 2 side at the moment. Clearly it would be in his best interests to move under those circumstances.

Perhaps the rule should be a player cannot leave under the age of 18, unless the club is either relegated or in administration.

It appears to me that as a 17 year old Alex is very advanced and hence in demand, but if he becomes 19/20 and hasn't developed as fast as he needs to, then whilst he would still be a good player, he would be nowhere as valuable or unique to the Premier clubs as he is at the moment. His side may well be thinking this way and are desperate to move him on, just in case there is no golden goose in due course, whilst for Saints it is about keeping a valuable asset to use this season.

I blame his dad Mark. I think he has been unsettling him. I honestly believe he would be happy to spend another season here developing. But I with all his dads talk of Arsenal being the best place for his development now its turned his head. His dad is shamelessly pimping out his son for his pension. He must know he'll only be a reserve player there were as he'll be first on the team sheet here. All the rubbish scare tactics he has put in his head about getting an injury in the championship could well still happen in Arsenal reserves. Gareth Bale is a better player for staying a little longer than Walcott. One full season in the championship didn't do him any harm. I don't get why his Dad bothered getting him into our youth set up, why not just have got him into Arsenal's youth team to begin with? I'm not sure how keeping Ox will work now if he doesn't want to be here any more. Its a shame cause I think he could of had a fantastic season here but now he'll just be another young player for Wenger to groom while rotting in his reserves.

Exactly

Money talks nowadays

The top 5 are not immune.

Clichy already gone to City. Fabregas and Nasri reportedly wanting away. Even United have problems - they couldn't keep hold of Ronaldo forever. A player's motivation isn't anything like that of a supporter. There's still loyalty in the game, but there are always going to be players whose heads are going to be turned by more money and perceived better opportunities.

The best that we can hope for is that we have enough committed quality players coming through the academies.

he looks interested in every game he plays IMO. Playing badly doesn't always indicate a lack of interest.

Quite. 'Lazy' just seems like an easy thing to throw at players who have bad games or are out of form / fitness...

I blame his dad Mark. I think he has been unsettling him. I honestly believe he would be happy to spend another season here developing. But I with all his dads talk of Arsenal being the best place for his development now its turned his head. His dad is shamelessly pimping out his son for his pension. He must know he'll only be a reserve player there were as he'll be first on the team sheet here. All the rubbish scare tactics he has put in his head about getting an injury in the championship could well still happen in Arsenal reserves. Gareth Bale is a better player for staying a little longer than Walcott. One full season in the championship didn't do him any harm. I don't get why his Dad bothered getting him into our youth set up, why not just have got him into Arsenal's youth team to begin with? I'm not sure how keeping Ox will work now if he doesn't want to be here any more. Its a shame cause I think he could of had a fantastic season here but now he'll just be another young player for Wenger to groom while rotting in his reserves.

This is very well put.........Sell him for a minimum of 10m or drop him...........there is no choice now......

There has been a lot of hysterical reaction to an unsubstantiated Echo rumour. Yes, he may have gobbed off to a paper. Yes, he may have been fined. But at this moment in time, he is a Saints player - quite a good one, actually. So until he leaves, or his performances on the pitch make us question his comittment, we should give him our support. After all, who benefits the most from the Echo publishing this article?

Seen on Sportsvibe:

http://www.sportsvibe.co.uk/news/football/arsenal-told-to-pay-12m-for-english-starlet-9404/

According to the Daily Mirror, a Saints insider has claimed that the club are ready to listen to offers for the winer. “It’s not true to suggest that Nicola is refusing to even discuss offers for the player

Spelling error spotted; they missed out the "h" in whiner.

The Daily Mail thinks he is "furious" at being fined for a rule break. No journalist has the balls to put his name to the article though...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2017422/Arsenal-target-Alex-Oxlade-Chamberlain-fined-Southampton.html

Quite why he would be "furious" I don't know, it would only be done if it were a breach of his terms of employment. He doesn't really have a leg to stand on (if true).

And now The Sun join in

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3708250/Alex-Oxlade-Chamberlain-fined-for-Southampton-outburst.html

Not sure we can gag players but Nicola is a 'hard-line' chairman

Who the hell does he think he is ? he's the chairman that's who and a very professional one.

Who the hell does Alex Chamberlaine think he is ? he is a 17 year old who has had only 1 season in pro football in league 1 and now thinks he is gods gift. He is still under contract at Saints and shouldn't be so disrespectful to the club that has looked after him since he was 7 and given him a chance.

This.

Lets face it it is pretty poor management when you fine a young player who wants to better himself

That will really motivate him and possibly the team

You're so reliable. One can always rely on you to come out with the alternative view that isn't shared by the majority. Especially when that view is against Cortese.

And of course, he was not being fined for wanting to better himself, was he? He was fined for a breach of club rules by talking to the press. Do you believe that either there should be no rules, or that players who breach them should not suffer the consequences of disciplinary action?

If your inference is that as a result of discipline being meted out the boy will sulk, then perhaps we ought to get rid. But really there is little foundation for either of the possible outcomes that you forecast in your second line.

Lets face it it is pretty poor management when you fine a young player who wants to better himself

That will really motivate him and possibly the team

I hardly post any more but when I do pop in for a look-see I can be guaranteed the normal pearls of wisdom from you.

It's about setting an example, it's about common decency and manners, it's about conducting yourself in a professional manner.

With the level of money Arsenal have been splashing around lately, I just can't see an upfront 10M+ offer coming from them. Also can't see Cortese accepting much less

from them. I can see a disgruntled wannabe star being in for a not very happy period at this club. Hopefully the situation will be speedily resolved.

And now The Sun join in

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3708250/Alex-Oxlade-Chamberlain-fined-for-Southampton-outburst.html

Not sure we can gag players but Nicola is a 'hard-line' chairman

"

RoyalArsenal

jamie, chamberlaine hasn't been disrespecting saints, so gagging him is harsh. the kid just wants his chance at the prem and he's close. bet if we offered cortese a position he'd feel strangely similar.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/3708250/Alex-Oxlade-Chamberlain-fined-for-Southampton-outburst.html#ixzz1Sozk7ZwT"

LOL Wasnt NC offered some position at a large Italian team that he turned down to stick with us? The Arse have rose tinted glasses better than ours. ;)

For all we know Arsenal may have offered only £2m. No other clubs have bid so there's no competition to up the price. Therefore, he can whinge all he likes, but there is no reason for Cortese to sell him at present. There will always be panic buyers in the January transfer window, or next summer if it comes to that. Seems like Arsenal are still treating us like we're desperate -by now they should know otherwise.

Lee Holmes played on right wing in first friendly in Switzerland and provided two crosses for Connolly to score. A lot of players now play on the opposite side to their natural foot with the idea of cutting back inside.

Holmes looked very confortable with his right foot actually, looking at just the video of those 2 crosses you couldn't tell that it was his supposedly weaker foot. I guess the swiss defender (if informed at all ) expected Holmes to go inside as he's supposed to be a lefty.

You're so reliable. One can always rely on you to come out with the alternative view that isn't shared by the majority. Especially when that view is against Cortese.

And of course, he was not being fined for wanting to better himself, was he? He was fined for a breach of club rules by talking to the press. Do you believe that either there should be no rules, or that players who breach them should not suffer the consequences of disciplinary action?

If your inference is that as a result of discipline being meted out the boy will sulk, then perhaps we ought to get rid. But really there is little foundation for either of the possible outcomes that you forecast in your second line.

Precisely..

I hardly post any more but when I do pop in for a look-see I can be guaranteed the normal pearls of wisdom from you.

It's about setting an example, it's about common decency and manners, it's about conducting yourself in a professional manner.

This.

With the level of money Arsenal have been splashing around lately, I just can't see an upfront 10M+ offer coming from them. Also can't see Cortese accepting much less

from them. I can see a disgruntled wannabe star being in for a not very happy period at this club. Hopefully the situation will be speedily resolved.

If he's disgruntled with us then we should tell him to take a look at how Arsenal are dealing with Fabregas!

He and his advisers know that nobody in the club talks to the media without permission. He stepped out of line and deserves the fine. Now we've signed Steve De Ridder he may well be second choice.

He and his advisers know that nobody in the club talks to the media without permission. He stepped out of line and deserves the fine. Now we've signed Steve De Ridder he may well be second choice.

That would pee on his fireworks......can we just remember that AOC has never played at this level so its unknown how he will cope with smarter defenders.

De Ridder hasnt come here to sit on the bench thats a dead cert.

That would pee on his fireworks......can we just remember that AOC has never played at this level so its unknown how he will cope with smarter defenders.

De Ridder hasnt come here to sit on the bench thats a dead cert.

Would certainly be interesting. If he can overcome the challenge to his position from the new signing then maybe he deserves his move. If not his advisers may need to eat some humble pie.

Adkins comments on Chamberlain situation on Saints Player and to be fair gives him a lot of credit for the way he has been throughout, just alluding to the fact that his head may have been turned the last couple of days by outside influences. Also states imagine it was you at 17 with all the speculation, or it was your 17 year old son.

Confirmed he trained this morning with a smile on his face and will be playing tomorrow...

Adkins comments on Chamberlain situation on Saints Player and to be fair gives him a lot of credit for the way he has been throughout, just alluding to the fact that his head may have been turned the last couple of days by outside influences. Also states imagine it was you at 17 with all the speculation, or it was your 17 year old son.

Confirmed he trained this morning with a smile on his face and will be playing tomorrow...

I can't wait to boo him.

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11700_7054730,00.html

Probably taken from that same interview on Saints Player. Good to hear though, and he makes a good point about him still being only 17.