Chamberlain fined by the club...

bowers-sfc

Oxo wanting away is now showing in The Sun and The Mirror, as well as The Echo.

It's a shame if true as he would have been sensational for Saints at Championship level and would have been a good stepping-stone in his career. It's a shame Jack Cork doesn't have a quick word with him to say that being at a big club isn't necesssarily the best place to be. I can't see him jumping straight into the first team if he does end up at Arsenal. He'll probably play reserve team football at best and then loaned out to a Championship side anyway!

Well I hope both of his parents signed his contract when he first got it.

Looks like the hot prospect Mbaye Niang is going to walk away from Caen for free because only his mum signed his employment contract when he was still a minor. Ox being a minor

this would be a very similar situation.

You've got it wrong,this is exactly the point of our youth system.

The club see it as an income stream,they are constantly looking for the next ,Walcott,bale or chambo to produce revenue for the club and to pay the costs of running the place.

The club cannot come out and say that,otherwise the fans would be p!ssed off,although Lowe did come close a couple of times.

£10m for a player that cost very little to nurture is very good business....after all liebher didn't pay much more for the whole club so in perspective getting a £10m player every 2 or 3 years is sound business.

Plus the fact that not EVERY player is going to be a Bale or a Walcott. There will be plenty of players like Surman and Lallana who stick around and become very good first team regulars. If it weren't for very poor management and financial desperation since we left the Prem, we'd probably have 4 or 5 accademy players in the first team. Lallana, Surman, Matt Mills, Blackstock, Best, Sparv, Dyer. Even Fish Mills is better than a lot are giving him credit for. There were also players like Gillett, DMG and James who weren't up to the mark, but did a job in times of desperation. Without them we'd be like Pompey are now, not having two youth players to rub together and end up signing old has beens on silly wages.

Lets just mug off Arsenal once again and just sell him ffs!

If they are willing to lose another heap of money on a jumped up, disloyal, happy to sit on the bench for 2 years, greedy fecker, let them have him.

Give us a good price and a couple of useful guys who fit the bill and want to play regular first team football, a much better situation for us rather than some spoilt brat having a face on for the next few months.

I am the only person who really doesn't think he's THAT good? I have seen nothing of him to warrant all the hype he's currently getting.

I'm not saying he won't go on to be a star, but one full season in league 1? Cash in, it's Arsenal's gamble if you ask me.

I agree mate. He's good but not THAT good. The player we must keep is Lallana - our results without him show how much he means to the team. I was sad when Theo and Bale left - both better players than Ox and Bale for me was the most irreplaceable by far (don't forget he was winning us games week in week out in the Championship at 17 playing left back!!!) but won't miss Ox.

As for one of the posts above - I reckon Holmes could play right wing. Lallana favours cutting in from the left onto his right foot and Holmes could do likewise. He likes to come inside and get involved too, rather than sit hugging the touchline all game. Modern thought also says left foot on right wing and vice versa works well by giving good angled balls into the box (into the grey area between keeper and outfield players) and opens up the option to come inside and shoot.

what difference would that make? the club are not bound to accept it.

If Ox wants to leave there is one simple solution, find a club willing to pay the ridiculous asking price for him in one instalment with no add ons (but no doubt with a sell on clause) or spread payments.

The difference between him handing in a transfer request and us just selling him lies in the loyalty bonuses that are built into players contracts. When we sold Wayne Bridge in particular, he formally handed in a transfer request which then absolved the club from having to pay loyalty bonuses to him for the rest of his contract; even though he wouldn't have spent the rest of his contract at the club, without a transfer request we would still have had to pay those bonuses.

So there is a genuine financial incentive to the club to receive a formal transfer request from the player. It's probably why you see so much agitation from the player in the press for a move before an actual formal request to the club to do so.

To the point above, the advantage of handing in a transfer request means teh player would not get his contract paid out from the transfer fee... which he sis showing he doesnot deserve anyway.

I also think his Dad has been pushing for this for financial circles - yes 'ask anyone in football and they would say he is stupid to STAY' - well I know what you mean, but since when is the 'Anyone in football tag' one that equates to intelligence and whats right? Tends to be linked to greed and the short cut to success approach that sadly undermines our culture...

'academy as a source of revenue' - yes there is truth in this, Ajax have been doing it for years, but they tend to flirt with the the UEFA comps enough, to be attractive enough for teh best playesr to at least stay a while and give the fans some success. I think that happy balance is a realistic ambition - be good enough so that we hold one to tehse players until they are 22-23 and get some success as a result, knowing that that success puts them in the spotlight and off they go... I think of the Bayer Leverkusen example - champions league final with a young Ballack and several others - most of whom ended up at Bayern Munich the following season. I dont think anyone is naive enough to suggest we will be ale to keep such talents for their entire careers, but that happy medium should be an aim.

To be honest, I find it sad more than anything. That a lad barely 17 and just starting his pro career is already sen as nothing more than a commodity be his advisors and has obviously had his heard turned to want the riches now rather than continuing to develop and improve and give back some success - the rewards will come for him if he realises his talent, so never sure what all the impatience is about - can only be money, and that is the crap aspect of teh modern game.

I think everyone should calm down....THIS IS THE ECHO REPORTING!!!!....has none learnt anything over the last few years when it comes to the stories in the echo!

You won't get anywhere on here, by applying common sense, the slightest hint of negativity, and we slaughter the poor lad, it's in the forum rules!

how much does AOC get paid per week?

my guess = 2k

£100k basic a year?

He has had a new contract on the table all summer which would put him in line with our highest earners, but he obviously isn't going to sign it.

Glad to see that the club have stood up to a player though. Cortese does not take any **** and it's refreshing to see.

It does beg the question though, as to what he actually said and what the 'hack' wrote in his rag.. If the past is anything to go by, probably two different stories.

There is also an un-written rule against 'tapping-up' but I dont think that includes parents who have their palms greased and do 'U-turns' in advising their off-spring.

Still, if the lad thinks someone else's grass is greener then so be it. The benches at the Emirates have nice comfortable chairs for the non-playing staff so no doubt he'll make good use of them, just like Theo Walcott did for quite a while.

Oxo wanting away is now showing in The Sun and The Mirror, as well as The Echo.

It's a shame if true as he would have been sensational for Saints at Championship level and would have been a good stepping-stone in his career. It's a shame Jack Cork doesn't have a quick word with him to say that being at a big club isn't necesssarily the best place to be. I can't see him jumping straight into the first team if he does end up at Arsenal. He'll probably play reserve team football at best and then loaned out to a Championship side anyway!

Good point!

If hes going to start gobbing off to the press though, perhaps we need to let him walk... even Punch hasnt spoken out in such a fashion and everyone hates him!

He may succeed quickly in the PL, although its far more likely he wont.

Good point!

If hes going to start gobbing off to the press though, perhaps we need to let him walk... even Punch hasnt spoken out in such a fashion and everyone hates him!

He may succeed quickly in the PL, although its far more likely he wont.

no doubt Chamberlain would consider himself by far superior to Cork,who never played in the EPL as far as I can recall.Then again Cork was sold to us at a knockdown price after a few years out on loan left right and centre. Any advice he may care to give would not have any impression on Ox.

no doubt Chamberlain would consider himself by far superior to Cork,who never played in the EPL as far as I can recall.Then again Cork was sold to us at a knockdown price after a few years out on loan left right and centre. Any advice he may care to give would not have any impression on Ox.

Unfortunately I'm going to have to "Matthew Le God" you; Cork joined Burnley in Feb 2010 when they were in the Premier League.

If true then it was the right thing to do.

What annoys me is that it is obviously his dad creating the drama behind the scenes. He talks about how it would be best for his career if he moved to Arsenal etc but right now it wouldn't. He talks about how he is ready to play in the PL.....He would not be anywhere near the Arsenal 1st team for a year or two. Especially with all the pressure on Wenger this season. If anything it looks like his dad is destroying his career not helping it.

A year ago he was a nobody. Had never played for a pro team. Pardew and the club didn't have to give him a chance last season but they did. If you think about it the whole reason Puncheon is in a strop is because of that. They put in a 17 year old kid ahead of one of the top assisters for the previous season. Someone who we spent a lot of cash on. Then Adkins kept him there the entire season. Basically saying to Puncheon your 2nd for that slot now. That was a big call in my book. It shows they believe in the kid and see him as an important part to the future of the club.

There has been no respect at all from him and his family. They just want the pay day. Which is sad because i actually wonder if this kid really thinks like that or is it as rumoured his dad telling him what to say, arranging interviews and basically trying to orchestrate a way out for him via the media.

The thing is as mentioned above we used to use our youth set up to sell players on to keep the club running. But that all stopped the day Markus walked in. Those days are gone and mean nothing now. Cortese is taking the right steps here because if you don't want to sell then why should you sell? If the player wants to leave then ask for a transfer request, go about it the right way, not in the press.

I really do think players should be banned from making these kinda interviews. If they talk to the press in this kind of vein when a club does not want to sell there should be some kind of big fine from the league to the player. Sort of like when a manager get's fined for speaking out.

Alex will be a great player no doubt about it. But he needs to learn some respect.

It just shows how Cortese won't take any shiite from anyone

I think he had no choice really, what's he supposed to do? - just let our young players carry on courting PL clubs with no punishment?

Totally agree, we have supported this lad for years and got him to this position. Alex show some respect, if have to go do it the right way.

This was always an inevitable step for me. Anyone who genuinely believed Chamberlain wanted to stay and play for us next season is barking mad. As soon as there was interest from some of the big boys, his head was always going to have been turned - and who can blame him? Let's face it, the choice is either getting kicked up and down the park most weeks away on some ****e pitches, or training day in day out, learning from world class players, as well as (probably) quadrupling his income. Ask anyone in football and they would tell you Chamberlain would be an idiot to STAY. For himself and his career, the sooner he is at a big time club the better for him.

But as far as we are concerned, if he has given interviews saying he wants out, without handing in a transfer request, then without doubt he has acted like a tosser. Although, how refreshing is it to see a club/chairman stand up to 'player power'. To fine Chamberlain is an extremely ballsy move. You don't see Arsenal fining Cesc, or Man Utd fining Ronaldo when he was there. I've often been critical of Cortese, but he has truly won me over with yet another example of his 'i won't take any **** from anyone' attitude. We've had far too many soft people involved in the upper branches of our club over the past 20 odd years, and to finally have a strong, confident leadership will only benefit the club in the long run. Sure, we might lose Chamberlain, but with Cortese, i am confident that if he does leave, it will be for the right place and will not hinder our prospects this season.

Excellent post.

Once again we are reacting to spectulation. No evidence whatsoever. Chamberlain must have been so upset with his fine that he decided to go to the U21 match. AOC will go when the correct valuation is paid. Unless that happens then he goes nowhere. Very simple.

I am looking forward to seeing him play for Saints next year because nobody seems to want to pay the valuation.

We may even see Puncheon play for the U21's again because not many appear to want to pay the going rate.

Quite alot more to run on both stories me thinks.

So what does he expect to gain from saying this? That we'll sell him for less because he wants out? He did well in a league with the likes of Oldham and Tranmere so suddenly he believes he's good enough for the Prem....ridiculous. He will be a prem player, but not at 17 and not without having even tried the division below it.

Once again we are reacting to spectulation. No evidence whatsoever. Chamberlain must have been so upset with his fine that he decided to go to the U21 match. AOC will go when the correct valuation is paid. Unless that happens then he goes nowhere. Very simple.

I am looking forward to seeing him play for Saints next year because nobody seems to want to pay the valuation.

We may even see Puncheon play for the U21's again because not many appear to want to pay the going rate.

Quite alot more to run on both stories me thinks.

Yep as I said its in The Echo so still speculation....

Well done Cortese.

Caving in to greedy footballers is the last thing we should do in our situation. Fine him, stuff him in the reserves and buy a new winger. We don't need the money but we do need to show a statement of intent that lets all the other players know when they sign a contract they must stick to it.

Does anyone have a link? I do prefer to look at the Churnalism myself if possible before commenting.

I just think that the timing is a little strange for all this, but he does deserve the fine for blabbing to the press in my own opinion, and the one he'll get for telling the Echo he's been fined. If he wishes to leave, fine, put in a transfer request and see what happens, but last we heard NON of the top teams supposedly touting for him have actually made a bid. So why winge about not being allowed to go if no one wants him, (at the current price)? Seems a bit of talking and advice by others methinks. Poor advice at that.

Excellent post.

I second that, only to add that OXO is only 17, his poop is still yellow for God's sake, what ever happened to loyalty; sure the big four can pay big money just for him to sit on the bench if he is lucky, but is that what it has all come down to now. He really needs to grow up and think about what he is actually saying, as many have said on here already, one season in League 1 and at 17 he is ready fro the premiership; utter Bolxxx.

The difference between him handing in a transfer request and us just selling him lies in the loyalty bonuses that are built into players contracts. When we sold Wayne Bridge in particular, he formally handed in a transfer request which then absolved the club from having to pay loyalty bonuses to him for the rest of his contract; even though he wouldn't have spent the rest of his contract at the club, without a transfer request we would still have had to pay those bonuses.

So there is a genuine financial incentive to the club to receive a formal transfer request from the player. It's probably why you see so much agitation from the player in the press for a move before an actual formal request to the club to do so.

This is the key point. It is why I despise the term "loyalty bonus" so much. You can see with Arsenal and Spurs that they're waiting for Fabregas and Modric to submit formal transfer requests, both of them have quite a few years left on their contracts, if Arsenal and Spurs sold those players without transfer requests having been submitted, it would probably cost them a few million each which they'd have to pay to the departing players, hence why they're playing hardball.

It is at times like this that football appears rotten to the core.

Not saying anything revolutionary on SSN. Just said he is only 17, done well and there is a lot of expectation. Wants Alex to stay, didn't seem that impressed with the suggestion of a sale and loan back agreement.

I think the sale and loan back idea is daft. Chamberlain would probably get quite a lot of stick from the crowd, he'd be scared of getting injured and it just wouldn't work.

The Echo are only reporting the story that was printed in the Mirror and the Sun, so typically they are not privy to factual information that they have gathered themselves. As to those other red top rags, they are hardly known by reputation to be the fount of all truth. Somebody illustrated quite succinctly on another thread recently, how easy it is to take a conversation and to fabricate quotes made up of something said which was taken out of context.

I'm rather relaxed about whether the boy stays or goes. On the one hand I'm sure that he would provide some entertaining football this coming season, but on the other hand, if we get £10/12 million for him, it is eminently possible to argue that 3/4 players bought in to replace him would add substantially more to the team.

The lessons for him are there to see, that were he to go to one of the glory teams now, he would in all probability be a bench-warmer for a couple of seasons, or even loaned out for a season or two. How would he view his move then, if he was playing at the level we are now?

He has seemingly been ill-advised by his father or agent, whose judgement is called into question and this even raise doubts as to whether his, or their own interests are paramount.

From the club perspective, if this is all true, then Cortese has handled it well. I am confident that if Chamberlain is to go, Cortese will get the very best price for him and tie up sell-on clauses that might benefit us well financially in the future. The club has the whip-hand. We don't need to sell the family silver to stay afloat like we used to. If those wanting his services don't pay our asking price, then we keep him, simple as that. And I'm quietly confident that with the facilities we have and the reputation for bringing on promising starlets, we will soon have others as good coming through, but by that time, we might be back in the Premiership ourselves.

Given that this is an Echo report, while accurate it might be slightly old information. What this might tell me is that, given Puncheon is still here reportedly working his socks off with the youth team, PERHAPS there is a chance that he will stay if OxO is sold? We've know that often there is a long line of player transfers lined up which depend on the first one acting as a catalyst for the rest to happen. Get the right offer for OxO come in and we could see Puncheon back in the red'n'white next season. :uhoh: