Fabrice Fernandes

dannysfc

I see that Fabrice Fernandes has decided to start playing again But this time for

Doncaster and that he may play against Saints for them when we play them next

month so will be interesting to see what reception he gets!?!

I quite liked him and thought he was a neat player when he played for Saints But

there you go!

Thoughts?

Thanks!

COYR!!! :D

Very talented player who could drive you mad by always, always, always cutting inside and running into a dead end. Had his moments of pure brilliance, and scored a spectacular last-minute equaliser against Everton at SMS if memory serves. I seem to remember we only got him because Fulham manager (whoever it was at the time) reckoned he had a bad attitude.

Not surprised he sulked, I was gutted too. We were never going to beat Arsenal by sitting back, needed our attacking players and we opted against it.

I also remember loads of fans thinking they had the perfect solution of 'play him left wing, he'll be amazing'. We tried, he couldn't cut in, he was awful. Some players just naturally don't run down the line whichever side they play on.

I think that selection was based largely on the visit to Highbury about 2 weeks before the final where we got battered 6-1 and Fernandes lack of covering left us horrendously exposed down the right, Pires got a hat trick if memory serves me right.

I see that Fabrice Fernandes has decided to start playing again But this time for

Doncaster and that he may play against Saints for them when we play them next

month so will be interesting to see what reception he gets!?!

I quite liked him and thought he was a neat player when he played for Saints But

there you go!

Thoughts?

Thanks!

COYR!!! :D

Thoughts? How did you see out of your pram? Did your mum give you an extra pillow?

COYS!!!

A player criminally underused when we were relegated from the Prem.

Always felt the same way myself. I believed that the crossing abilities of Fernandes combined with the aerial ability of Crouch had goals written all over it.

Was a fan of Fabrice when he was here, never seemed to score a **** goal. My favourite was a freekick in a match against West Ham which we won 2-0 which he absolutley smashed in the top corner so hard that a reporter the next day wrote "if the net hadn't been there to stop the ball it would still be flying above the Solent somewhere".

One of them talented but frustrating players, always held on to the ball for too long with fans screaming at him to pass but then showed moments of class with some nice goals cutting in and lauching from outside the area - WGS always playing on the right for that reason I seem to remember.

Ref. FA Cup didn't he leave the stadium during the game and slope of for a Burger King, pretty sure Sky had a pic of him chomping away

Abiding memory of him was sulking on his own after being left out of the cup final squad.

Actually he was in the squad and came on as sub in the second half and then sulked a bit on the pitch (I was fairly near him when he was on the right touch line and a long pass to him sailed over his head and out for a throw; he gesticulated (French) and stood and stared at whoever passed it for seemed like ages.

Maybe he had indigestion from chomping down a burger on the bench !

No it was Kevin Davies who was surprisingly left out of the squad altogether. Strangely I bumped into him on the pavement outside a deserted Millenium Stadium long after the game had finished, and he said how gutted he was not to have been picked (no surprise there).

I quite liked him, he definately had some skill but I always thought he over elaborated on things when he could have been a bit more direct and effective.

Will always remember his helicopter twirls all over the place which were to be fair to him, pretty effective at getting him some space.

I hope the fans give him a warm reception.

I really liked Fernandes - I recall I think it was in Strachan's 2nd season when Fernandes had a real purple patch of form - he was excellent. Then he got linked with a big money move to Liverpool (under Gerard Houllier) and his form rapidly dipped and so did Saints'.

Were we really 5-0 down in 25 minutes?! Jesus. I almost don't want promotion now. Still remember a few 7-1s a 7-0 and a 7-2 I'd rather forget.

I was there in the Arsenal end. Very, very, very embarrassing. Pennant got the hat-trick. I also remember a Newcastle match on sky when we were 3 down after about 10 mins.

Strange to see that Fernades is only 32 and basically hasn't played for 5 years.

I always liked him. Redknapp wasn't so keen though. Never picked him for the squad after the Spurs game I believe with Redknapp saying after the game that he'll "Never play for the club again" iirc

Redcrap! and we expect him to be Englands saviour? Some of the joiurneymen he brought in contributed greatly to our demise! Fernandes was a darn side better than many of them

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Not surprised he sulked, I was gutted too. We were never going to beat Arsenal by sitting back, needed our attacking players and we opted against it.

I also remember loads of fans thinking they had the perfect solution of 'play him left wing, he'll be amazing'. We tried, he couldn't cut in, he was awful. Some players just naturally don't run down the line whichever side they play on.

He was dropped because Arsenal shredded us down his wing in a game just prior to the cup final. I seem to recollect that his replacement Chris Baird had an excellent game.

I recall he was dubbed 'Crop Circle'

............ And Cul de Sac

Sturrock actually had him playing as more of team player, then he got clattered majorly and never really came back.

Lee Hoos told a great story about him while he was at Fulham: apparently the team coach was stuck in a major traffic jam very close to the team hotel, after a nearly an hour the team decided they would walk to the hotel and get their gear when the coach got free. Everyone got off the coach and set off all except Fabrice who stubbornly refused to walk and demanded to stay on the coach............ 2 hours later he got to the hotel while everyone else was having dinner.

one of my favourite Saints players of all time. Not sure why, as there are plenty of negatives, but his touch and ability on the ball were exceptional. Give it to him with three around hi and he'd still come away with it. Great out ball. Why on earth was he not in the cup final side?

The boro away game was his finest hour, and it was just an hour as they somehow managed to sneak a draw. He ran the game completely and looked sensational. First time I have ever heard the "just like watching Brazil" song and everything stemmed from him. Great day, despite not winning.

Thought he was a really good player for us with amazing ball controll. Could hold it up well, which apparently annoyed most people in the ground.

We probably didn't use him enough when he was here. You should always have room for a "defensively week but skillfull player" in the side. MLT cough.

On the other side , he was a moody french ****.

Cant believe he's still playing. Seems ages ago since he was making pretty crop circles at StMarys. Dont think he'll enjoy being in the northern paradise that is Doncaster.

His goal at the end of this vid is aweeeesome.

Also, can someone tell me how I embed videos on this ****ing forum. The you tube embed code never seems to work.

Stick [ v i d e o ] and [ / v i d e o ] (without the spaces) at either end of the above URL (or click on the 'insert video' icon at the top of the 'quick reply' edit panel which does it for you)

Et Voila: