Saintbri

saintedwill

Just wanted to let you all know that my dad passed away last night after suffering for a year and 3 months with lung cancer.

He supported Saints for 75 years since he was 4 years old and since Markus Liebherr took over the club, he had really high hopes for what we could achieve under the new ownership and Nigel Adkins. It's just a shame he won't be able to see us beat Pompey on Saturday and also play in the Premier League again (in his words, "where we belong").

During his life he had a few meetings with Saints players and I'll always remember him telling me about when it was his job to host a Saints side touring Japan in the 60s which included the likes of Bobby Stokes, Terry Paine & Mike Channon.

He always told me how impressed he was about how well our boys could put the drinks away!

As dad was coming towards the end of his life and he realised he wouldn't see St. Mary's again, he asked us if it would be possible to be taken around the stadium for one last time before we take him back home to the Isle of Wight.

I've been in touch with the club and they have very kindly agreed to lift the barriers so that he can make one last visit to the ground.

If anyone would like to be there when we give him his final send off from Southampton, then we are planning to be at St. Mary's between 1-1.30pm on Friday April 20th.

COYR

many people cherish memories of games attended with departed relatives or friends, it's a healthy link with the past.

My dad died more than ten years ago but I still think of him sometimes during games and wonder what he'd make of our recent seasons - he's still in the West Stand Archers moaning at refs and Benali.

Saints games are now a happy association that will always be there for you - and especially this saturday - you have an emotional future ahead of you, but in a good way - everytime we achieve something you'll think of him and how pleased he would be.

Great idea for a final visit, may he rest in peace knowing that Saints are in good hands.

And he can thank Markus from all of us.

RIP

RIP Saintbri,

SaintedWill, glad to hear the Club have looked after you (I have heard really good things about how they manage sensitive situations like this) Hope the near future isn't too painful and you get to give a celebrationary toast skywards at 14.55 on the 7th.

Edited by Gemmel

my thoughts are with you

my mum died at age to young, she took with me dad , me and me bro to games in the milton terrace family stand and before my dad used to take us to the boys box!

had all of us there watching keegan channon etc, mum always said danny wallace was some player, on to sat , im 41 now, bro 46 and dad 72 , we are still season ticket holders and still do the 120 mile round trip every home game and we still think mum would love seeing saints do well, i hope this makes sense, up the saints!!!!!

Deepest condolences to you and your family.

My own father is in his 70s and also has many stories from the 60s and 70s about drinking with such players as Channon, Osgood, Peach, Stokes, etc; so I fully understand where you are coming from with that.

Good to hear the club has been helpful with your request. I hope everything goes as you would like it to on the 20th.

RIP SaintBri

The streets of heaven are too crowded with Angels, and a saint has joined them. Althoough not much comfort but at least he could rejoice in the slow and staedy rise of our wonderful club once more. The hopes and prayers of my family gop out to you and yours in this sad and terrible time, made more hard hitting to me for the fact that 2 days ago was the seventh aniversary of my mothers death. I'm sure on Saturday he'll be 'in that number' when the Saints go marching in.

Deepest sympathy's to you & your family. Very poignant post, & a nice touch by the club to allow your Dad one last trip around Saint Mary's.

He can sit with the rest of the Saints departed, including my dad on Saturday cheering the boys on to victory.

Hopefully Sat will give you a really happy memory to put alongside the many you already have of your dad. RIP

I am sure you can feel the love and support of the Saint's family at this very sad for you and your loved ones. We really do care for each other in the bad times and I like to think of my Dad and Grandfather in the stand in the sky looking down on St. Mary's and I'm sure your Dad will have a great welcome and just think of all the stories they can swap . Hope the boys can do it for them on saturday.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thank you for all the messages and support, you won't believe how much they've helped us through this tough time.

The funeral's tomorrow and then we'll be taking Dad to St. Mary's for one last visit.

If we happen to get a lucky goal on Saturday or a dead cert goal for Middlesborough inexplicably hits the post, you'll know who to thank.