Ron Vlaar

patred44

Aston Villa's attempts to sign the £3M rated centre back are hitting the buffers.

Vlaar is not happy with Villa but still wants to play in the EPL.

Considering the rarity of good central defenders, and our need of one or two, Nigel should jump at the chance.

Why should we jump at the chance? Because he's been 'rated at £3m' (whatever that means)? Because he wants to play in the Premier League? Because Villa think he's good enough? None of those are particularly convincing reasons to try and sign a player.

He's arguably not particularly good, was singled out on Football Weekly as the weakest of weak links in the Dutch Euro 2012 squad before a ball was kicked, and lived up to billing.

I'm sure that our manager and scouts are well aware of the existence of Ron Vlaar, as much as they are of a hundred other players who might be suitable. If they're not interested I'll trust their judgement and expertise. Trying to jump on the back of someone else's failing transfer, for no particular reason other than we need someone, anyone to play that position, is not really the sound tactical basis our transfer policy should be based on.

• 2 years later...

http://www.caughtoffside.com/2014/08/09/aston-villa-manager-paul-lambert-furious-with-his-southampton-counterpart/

He's right. You are supposed to leak your interest in other team's players through your friends in the media and through your players during international breaks. We need to get this right or we will lose the valuable moral high ground.

Only one man who can answer that this evening... Luke Shaw.

Man U it is then.

Id be very happy with Vlaar, or Long, or Pelle but as a club we cant afford to spend big money on late 20s players which we arent going to recoup. We need to stick to buying 21-24 year olds imo. Sure we have money now, the trick is to keep that money for years by recycling it, not blowing it all in a series of panic buys.

http://hereisthecity.com/en-gb/2014/08/14/lambert-unsure-about-aston-villa-stars-future-as-southampton-bos/?

He's coming. Lamberts gone from not leaving to 'no loyalty in football' in 24hours...! Bring him on.

He might be leaving Villa but that isn't the same as coming to us.

Can't see him signing for us in a million years - such a pointless move for him. Man Utd if they want him, failing that an Italian team in the CL or just some other club that represents a step up.

Small bit in De Telegraaf:

Koeman focuses on Vlaar

From our Telesport Editors

SOUTHAMPTON -

The Southampton the Koeman brothers is working on Oranje defender Ron Vlaar. The North Hollander is seen as the much needed strengthening of defense after the departure of Dejan Lovre.

Aston Villa manager Paul Lambert already incorporates a departure from Vlaar. "I do not know if loyalty in football still exists."

Hard to know if its still on the table now we got Gardos, or just a ploy from Vlaar's camp to boost his pay or find other options.

our chasing of vlaar is is pretty poor to be honest

It has, if this was Brendan Rogers openly talking about Clyne or whatever, we'd be up in the air! Koeman seems to get a bit confused with this transfer malarkey, not sure if it's a translation kind of thing, but one moment he's saying that he doesn't talk about players which are at other clubs, and then the next second he's naming who he's interested in! Love the openness, but it's going to get us a bit of a rep. if he carries on!

It has, if this was Brendan Rogers openly talking about Clyne or whatever, we'd be up in the air! Koeman seems to get a bit confused with this transfer malarkey, not sure if it's a translation kind of thing, but one moment he's saying that he doesn't talk about players which are at other clubs, and then the next second he's naming who he's interested in! Love the openness, but it's going to get us a bit of a rep. if he carries on!

It happens to us a lot so TBH I don't care. No morals in football any more and from a selfish point of view it's interesting to see who we are in for.

Why is it poor?

Because this forum went apesh it over perceived "tapping up" by howwible old Steven Gerrard of our players.

This is our manager openly talking about other clubs players. Brendan Rodgers never did this, if he did the ocean of bed pi ss would have flooded the forum.

Because this forum went apesh it over perceived "tapping up" by howwible old Steven Gerrard of our players.

This is our manager openly talking about other clubs players. Brendan Rodgers never did this, if he did the ocean of bed pi ss would have flooded the forum.

:lol:

our chasing of vlaar is is pretty poor to be honest

I disagree, don't really care to be honest - it happens all the time. How do we know they're not on the phone to each other? How do we know Pochettino isn't meeting up in hotel rooms with Morgan? We don't, it doesn't matter, they'll go where they want anyway.

Have the club openly chased Vlaar or has the player actually said he wants away

I dont think so. its not the clubs way , unlike rodgers and Mopo and some of our ex plkayers and schnerlin

Lambert is a moaner, how do we know he is referring to us could be united and others

I hope we have enquired about him but openly chased him , I really dont think we have

Leave that to the likes of the big boys

Have the club openly chased Vlaar or has the player actually said he wants away

I dont think so. its not the clubs way , unlike rodgers and Mopo and some of our ex plkayers and schnerlin

Lambert is a moaner, how do we know he is referring to us could be united and others

I hope we have enquired about him but openly chased him , I really dont think we have

Leave that to the likes of the big boys

RK is directly quoted as saying he'd like Vlaar at Saints.

I disagree, don't really care to be honest - it happens all the time. How do we know they're not on the phone to each other? How do we know Pochettino isn't meeting up in hotel rooms with Morgan? We don't, it doesn't matter, they'll go where they want anyway.

That's of course true, but its not being done in such a seemingly public way. Of course we need to consider he may have been misquoted but its happened a couple of times now.

Unless there have been fresh quotes, all Koeman did was reply to a question from Sky who mentioned Ron Vlaar. Koeman didn't bring his name up out of the blue. Unless there are new quotes which I have missed

This is possibly true but he could always have answered it with a straight bat "I can't discuss other club's players". This is more or less what Lambert has said about someone put to him as a Villa target. That's fine by Lambert, until he does what Koeman has done. It's quite prevalent.

Unless there have been fresh quotes, all Koeman did was reply to a question from Sky who mentioned Ron Vlaar. Koeman didn't bring his name up out of the blue. Unless there are new quotes which I have missed

That was my understanding of the situation and if he has said something else where then I too have missed it

"Of course I'd like him here, he's a good player, a good boy and like all good players I'd be happy for him to join us" !

(H.Redknapp - every week for the last 25 years)

"All's fair in love and war"!

"If you want loyalty, go buy a dog" !

I'm afraid that poaching is rife in this game and if "you can't beat 'em, join 'em" !

we have been going about it with vlaar in the very way that gets so many fans angry when say, liverpool openly tout our players

poor show from saints on that front

Meh who cares every one does it. The footballing authorities have no interest in stopping it so why should saints be at a disadvantage sticking to the rules if no one else will? Lambert was pretty happy to screw over Norwich when Villa came calling it's just the way modern football works now.