Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

Osvaldo just seems to speak his mind and doesn't seem to tolerate 100% I think he's got a good attitude.

As long as a player is professional and gives his best in matches and training, I don't really care what he does in his private life as long as it is legal.

do you really want this at our club?BNRftUxCUAAgRp3.jpg:large

Would you discard Beckham on the same basis? He's been posing in his pants many a time but he's also throughout his career been one of the most hardworking and professional players around.

Osvaldo just seems to speak his mind and doesn't seem to tolerate 100% I think he's got a good attitude.

As long as a player is professional and gives his best in matches and training, I don't really care what he does in his private life as long as it is legal.

So I take it you haven't read this? http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/espnfcunited/id/6474?cc=5739

Italian fans are mental so that probably doesn't help, the guy just sounds passionate and a bit of character. I mean the italian press made up a story about his mum being dead!

Pochettino has managed him before and obviously thinks he knows how to handle him so I would trust that judgement. Plus 27 goals in 54 for Roma with all that going on in a defensive league.

Italian fans are mental so that probably doesn't help, the guy just sounds passionate and a bit of character. I mean the italian press made up a story about his mum being dead!

Pochettino has managed him before and obviously thinks he knows how to handle him so I would trust that judgement. Plus 27 goals in 54 for Roma with all that going on in a defensive league.

How often do you watch Italian football may I ask? Serie A is not a defensive league.

Edited by saints_is_the_south

How often do you watch Italian football may I ask? Serie A is not a defensive league.

It´s not as defensive as it used to be but not a free flowing high scoring league either. (and they have the highest rate of 0-0 games)

There were 5 player this season that recorded 0,5 goal/game or better. (of those with a decent amount of games), and Osvaldo was one of those.

16 goals in 29 games.

The other were Cavani, Di Natale, Klose and Pazzini.....(and then you had Balotelli with stunning 12 goals in 13 games of course)

defensive was probably the wrong word, essentially what olalallna ssaid. It's also still a one in two record with all that off the pitch nonsense going on, imagine what he could do with fans and a manager who back him.

Yep, it is anything but a defensive league, lol. The days of Catenaccio are well and truly gone!

Yet the British stereotype which is about 10 to 15 years out of date still remains. I find it amazing that so called pundits in this country still label Italian football as defensive. Have they had their eyes shut when watching our own national team in the past decade?! We played the Italians last summer, and all WE did was defend for 120 minutes!

As for the league, since I started following Roma 10 years a go I have watched pretty much every game of theirs (including 18 live) plus another 2 or 3 Serie A games most weekends, and as you say, the days of Catenaccio are a very distant memory. The football Roma played under Luciano Spalletti (and this season with Zeman) was free flowing attacking football. Napoli are also another highly entertaining team to watch, Fiorentina too.

Posted my views on Osvaldo on page 57, which I feel is an accurate analysis on him. I would take the gamble on him, think he'd get on OK here and we'd see less of his personality problems, which as I said IMO stem mainly from the high pressure environment in Rome. If you've ever been to Rome, and seen a Roma game live then you'll know what I mean, there is no other city like it when it comes to football.

Yet the British stereotype which is about 10 to 15 years out of date still remains. I find it amazing that so called pundits in this country still label Italian football as defensive. Have they had their eyes shut when watching our own national team in the past decade?! We played the Italians last summer, and all WE did was defend for 120 minutes!

As for the league, since I started following Roma 10 years a go I have watched pretty much every game of theirs (including 18 live) plus another 2 or 3 Serie A games most weekends, and as you say, the days of Catenaccio are a very distant memory. The football Roma played under Luciano Spalletti (and this season with Zeman) was free flowing attacking football. Napoli are also another highly entertaining team to watch, Fiorentina too.

Posted my views on Osvaldo on page 57, which I feel is an accurate analysis on him. I would take the gamble on him, think he'd get on OK here and we'd see less of his personality problems, which as I said IMO stem mainly from the high pressure environment in Rome. If you've ever been to Rome, and seen a Roma game live then you'll know what I mean, there is no other city like it when it comes to football.

Hahaha! They're my team too - I absolutely adored and hated it under Zeman though... brilliant, attacking football with ridiculous, suicidal defending - such great fun to watch! Aurelio Andreazzoli's team didn't have quite the same feel to it but after that Cagliari game, there wasn't really any choice but to boot Zeman out the door (I was there for it, ha!).

I totally agree with you about "being there" as well... wow, what an atmosphere, it made the hairs stand up on the back of your neck pre-match with the "Roma Roma" song.

So privileged to have seen Totti live as well. :)

I'm assuming you'll be going over to watch them next season?

Very true, bit of a catch 22 really, they want to progress and sign better players, but keeping the current ones is important too, maybe someone like Byram from Leeds or Trippier from Burnley.

As you said, very hard to get anyone to come here if they know they are second fiddle.

Yup, agreed, but we def need cover, esp at right back. Looking at the free transfer list there are not too many defenders on there, Baird is a free ( can play almost anywhere at the back, great utility player) and Danny SImpson is the other choice, but he would want to be a starter I would imagine.

But we def need cover, Shaw or Clyne get a long lay off and then we are in trouble, no matter who we have upfront or how much we spend on midfielders or strikers.

Yup, agreed, but we def need cover, esp at right back. Looking at the free transfer list there are not too many defenders on there, Baird is a free ( can play almost anywhere at the back, great utility player) and Danny SImpson is the other choice, but he would want to be a starter I would imagine.

But we def need cover, Shaw or Clyne get a long lay off and then we are in trouble, no matter who we have upfront or how much we spend on midfielders or strikers.

We could do a lot worse than bringing in Chris Baird as a squad player.

We've got "cover" at full back. Fox, Yoshida & Cork for starters. If we sign another FB he'll be at least the equal of Clyne & Shaw. Name the last player we signed as "cover". I could be wrong, but I can't remember any. Young players with an eye on the future maybe (see Rodriguez & Gazzanigga for example) but not "cover".

We've got "cover" at full back. Fox, Yoshida & Cork for starters. If we sign another FB he'll be at least the equal of Clyne & Shaw. Name the last player we signed as "cover". I could be wrong, but I can't remember any. Young players with an eye on the future maybe (see Rodriguez & Gazzanigga for example) but not "cover".

no, they are not cover! Both shocking at full back, if that is the cover you want again this season then relegation battle it is

no, they are not cover! Both shocking at full back, if that is the cover you want again this season then relegation battle it is

Who do you buy that is better than fox who is going to sit on the bench for 30 games of the season?

I'm not usually a fan of signing cover players but in this instance we should. We have two of the best young full backs in the country. I can't see too many players better than them within our reach and an equivalent of shaw or clyne is going to want to play, that's why they are both with us. I can't see this years clyne joining us without us offering first team football like we did to him last year so experienced squad player backup is an option here and as others have said we have isn't up to it.

Edited by Turkish

You missed the point. They are definately cover, they played at full back for us in the PL last season. I didn't offer any opinion on whether they are good enough, I simply said we won't be signing any more of the same.

Translation please?

The Southampton Pochettino is ready to offer € 20 million for Pablo Daniel Osvaldo. The Rome and how we think, and in recent days is trying by all means to convince the Italian-Argentine option to accept the Premier League. The coach of the English club is the same as that raised in La Liga Espanyol with the shirt, but the striker has already said no, and seems determined to change his mind

This is the translation:

Roma, the Southampton offers 20 million for Osvaldo but he says no

The Southampton Pochettino is ready to offer € 20 million for Pablo Daniel Osvaldo. The Rome and how we think, and in recent days is trying by all means to convince the Italian-Argentine option to accept the Premier League. The coach of the English club is the same as that raised in La Liga Espanyol with the shirt, but the striker has already said no, and seems determined to change his mind.

I'm just worried that he's a bit of a loose cannon. If these players are going to stay on the straight and narrow they have to be happy where they are, an if Osvaldo joins us, and doesn't really want to be here I worry he'll kick off.

He'll get on well with Boruc then.

Still unable to find any reports of issues at his clubs prior to Roma, and also checked with a couple of Italian friends who cannot recall him causing any problems at Fiorentina. As I've said before, I think he'd be ok here. No media scrutiny or making up false rumours such as his mum dying, no fans hanging around outside his house or harassment in the streets, a far far more peaceful life compared to Rome. I'd take the gamble on him, just need to try and convince him to come it seems.

I've not seen a lot from Osvaldo, but €20m is a fortune...is there not better for that kind of money?!

Having watched him 50 plus times in 2 years, £17m or €20m is about the going rate for a striker of his ability. If he didn't have all the side issues, then Roma could easily demand €25m or more for him. A goal every other game for the past 3 seasons in La Liga and Serie A, definitely worth it IMO.

Having watched him 50 plus times in 2 years, £17m or €20m is about the going rate for a striker of his ability. If he didn't have all the side issues, then Roma could easily demand €25m or more for him. A goal every other game for the past 3 seasons in La Liga and Serie A, definitely worth it IMO.

So if he is so good, why was he sent out on loan to Bologna and Espanyol?!

So if he is so good, why was he sent out on loan to Bologna and Espanyol?!

He joined Fiorentina at a young age (21), wasnt getting much game time despite scoring some important goals, most notably a last minute winner against Juventus which helped towards them qualifying for the CL. Loaned out to Bologna and then Espanyol for game time who then signed him permanently and that is where he made his mark.