Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

SimonPeach: I understand there is no truth in reports that #SaintsFC are close to agreeing an £8million deal for Gonzalo Bueno. Agent playing games.

Interesting... but he's wrong. ;)

Even Gaston the blabbermouth has spoken about Bueno joining... now why would he do that?

Hope Wanyama isn't our top target - strong and tidy but lacks that willingness to drive forward with the ball a la Viera or Toure to make him a top CM.

I'm not sure about that. He may not be a natural carrier of the ball nor a dribbler, but he does power forward with it in a pretty effortless manner whilst anyone challenging him just bounces off him.

Apparently Newcastle have pulled out of signing Douglas on a free transfer - perhaps we should step in:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-joe-kinnear-drove-derek-1967425

That's hilarious. What the **** are they playing at?

Decent odds here:

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/newcastle/alan-pardew-in-charge-last-day-of-season

Tomorrow's Sun...

SOUTHAMPTON are close to a £15million double swoop for Celtic’s Victor Wanyama and ex-Chelsea winger Miroslav Stoch.

Saints have opened talks with Celtic about a £10m bid for Wanyama, 21.

St Mary’s bosses have also met Turkish club Fenerbache over a £5m move for Slovakian Stoch, 23.

Wanyama has been trailed by Premier League clubs including Arsenal and Manchester United.

He joined Celtic from Belgian club Beerschot AC for a bargain £900,000 in July 2011.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/4976283/Southampton-close-on-Victor-Wanyama.html

Don't know a great deal about Wanyama or Banega to be honest, both pretty decent no?

Yes, but my limited understanding is that Banega is more the playmaker and can score goals, while still being able to tackle excellently - exactly what we need in other words.

I think Wanyama has the quality of a midfield marshal that we miss sometimes, very physical and a big presence to have. Would be a valuable asset to have - especially in games against teams that like to control the middle of the park. He's not just a big guy though, he's an accomplished ball-winner and knows his game.

Don't get me wrong, I think Banega would also be an excellent signing, but I think Wanyama is a different type of centre mid that would allow us different tactical options.

If true, it is quite something that we offered 20 million euros for one player.

http://www.vocegiallorossa.it/?action=read&idnotizia=55077

"Osvaldo: Sabatini in touch with Southampton, but the player wants another

20.06.2013 08:45 by Emanuele Melfi Twitter: @ EmanueleMelfi article read 1297 times

Source: Time - Serafini

© photo by Federico Gaetano

The Giallorossi ds Walter Sabatini, as reported in the newspaper Il Tempo, he would find an agreement with Southampton for the transfer of Oswald. The English club would be ready to pay about 20 million, but the player appears to have blocked the deal. The Italo-Argentine would like a club level and Southampton would not guarantee to Osvaldo international visibility."

He's still under contract.

http://metro.co.uk/2013/03/02/liverpool-eye-pre-contract-move-for-cska-contract-rebel-keisuke-honda-3523033/

Also we went through this Wanyama/Banega thing yesterday. My preference is for Banega, pretty much and all round midfielder and I rekcon he will suit our style better, plus he's decent at Set Pieces which is something we need.

Edited by tajjuk

Osvaldo is absolute quality if a bit nutty - when he wants it he's one of the best around.

Would be a seriously exciting signing but I can't see it myself.

That said I couldn't see Ramirez before he came so who knows.

Lambert. Or Morgan if Rickie doesn't play. Bloody obvious IMO.

Morgan never got a look in last season and IMHO Rickie won't be a regular. So no I don't thinks its obvious?

Many clubs have a true leader as captain and I feel we lack one.

I'm afraid I know nothing about banega or wanyama. Seen a short video of banega but nothing of wanyama. From the comments from those who have seen them, it sounds like they're exactly what we need although different to each other.

What EPL players can they be compared to? I know wanyama has been likened to Toure or viera. Any others?

And banega? Who could he be compared to?

Morgan never got a look in last season and IMHO Rickie won't be a regular. So no I don't thinks its obvious?

Many clubs have a true leader as captain and I feel we lack one.

No, you're right, he didn't, but then Lallana had been installed as captain and perhaps MP didn't want to change that coming in when he did, but after the season Morgan had and the example he sets, I think he has the credentials for a captain. Plus, I think he'll be a regular starter.

I also think Rickie has the credentials of a leader. He has the respect of the players and the passion and intelligence to read the game.

Whatever, it shouldn't be Lallana.

No, you're right, he didn't, but then Lallana had been installed as captain and perhaps MP didn't want to change that coming in when he did, but after the season Morgan had and the example he sets, I think he has the credentials for a captain. Plus, I think he'll be a regular starter.

I also think Rickie has the credentials of a leader. He has the respect of the players and the passion and intelligence to read the game.

I hope your right as Spider would be perfect.

I'm afraid I know nothing about banega or wanyama. Seen a short video of banega but nothing of wanyama. From the comments from those who have seen them, it sounds like they're exactly what we need although different to each other.

What EPL players can they be compared to? I know wanyama has been likened to Toure or viera. Any others?

And banega? Who could he be compared to?

In the style of play Banega is pretty close to Gerrard IMO but maybe just a bit slower. Great passer both short and long, good shot and set pieces but can also dig in and tackle and do the defensive work.

I am afraid it is highly unlikely we will sign either Wanyama or Benega as i believe little old Southampton is just not going to cut the mustard for their egos.

They both seem to want bigger clubs and if Arsenal / Inter are interested the players and agents will do all they can to secure a move to them.

This is why it will be very difficuilt to break into that next level, we may think we have money but the players we are now supposedly courting will be on bigger fishes radar who have more money and the lure of European football.

Yes we signed Ramirez and Lovren and i really hope we can improve this season but i feel people are getting carried away with things,our chances of signing these players will probably only happen at the end of the window if they cannot get their preffered moves.

"Don't know a great deal about Wanyama or Banega and never seen either play, but i'd prefer Banega!"

Classic SWF BS and reason why i dont post much anymore!! This forum has gone downhill imho

It's amazing how many people know that Dejan Lovren is a great player despite having not seen him play. Wish I could be a psychic like that.

Didn't know we had so many people that saw most of Celtic's games last season either.

It's amazing how many people know that Dejan Lovren is a great player despite having not seen him play. Wish I could be a psychic like that.

Didn't know we had so many people that saw most of Celtic's games last season either.

some SWF regulars watched every Spanish, Italian, EPL, SPL and dutch league games last season.........

some SWF regulars watched every Spanish, Italian, EPL, SPL and dutch league games last season.........

Not me, I missed Kilmarnock-Dundee... :(

And on the other thing. Maybe some posters come to the conclusion that a Argie international is probably better than a Kenyan international in most cases?

Probably one area where MP hasn't got hold of the British way of doing things where the captaincy is important. I reckon he takes the continental view where the player who's been with the club the longest is the captain, but doesn't have need to drive the team forward like our captains do - all the players are supposed to do that. Lallana would be our longest serving player in the first XI from last season?

The Italian daily Il Tempo reporting today that Saints are willing to offer Roma €20m for Pablo Osvaldo.

Following Roma as my 'foreign team' as I do I'm quite close to all of the news reported about the club, and I think Roma would be certain to accept such an offer, they are looking for between €15-20m for him. Big question is whether Osvaldo would want to come here. I think probably not, there'd be plenty of teams playing CL football out there that I think he'd probably prefer to sit it out and wait for them to make offers to Roma for him. Then again, maybe Cortese can work his magic and convince him to come.

His personality is a huge issue, but I am not sure how much that has been down to the atmosphere in Rome affecting his temperament, and perhaps the more serene atmosphere in this country compared to Italy and Rome would help to change that stinking personality of his. The majority of fans in Rome hate him and want rid, despite a goal scoring record of 27 goals in 55 games for the club, a goal every other game. Says a lot about how bad is personality is, if he is so disliked despite a very good goal scoring record.

Footballing wise, he'd be an absolutely brilliant signing, having watched him 50+ times for Roma over the past 2 seasons, on his day he is IMO one of the best strikers in Europe but that is the problem, if he is having an off day or simply looks like he can't be bothered then he is a real pain in the arse. He's got everything you'd want from a modern day forward though, great physique, strength, power, good technical ability, scores all sorts of goals from headers to overhead bycicle kicks.

As I have said before on this thread, I'd be hugely surprised if it happened and I still consider it very unlikely. My bet is he'll go to Atletico Madrid, or maybe Spurs now that Franco Baldini (ex Roma DG) is now there.