Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

Not really. Go on any of their forum and none of them would consider JWP a starter for their teams. And they would be right

It's hilariously breathtakingly arrogant that people think an 18 year old who can't get In our team would go on loan to teams that finished around us, some of which we didn't beat and walk into their first team. It's like Sunderland fans saying they should loan us Connor Wickham to give him experience and he'd walk into our team and be our first choice striker.

Edited by Turkish

Not sold on Hooper really. Would be more interested in a striker in the mould of Roberto Soldado. Strong, good in the air and scores goals. He's like a more mobile Lambert and that's the sort of striker we should be looking at in my opinion.

Big big summer lined up

@deark3009: @alex_crook Hi Alex,do you know how many players we would like to bring in? Cheers

@alex_crook: @deark3009 i would expect 5-7 new arrivals

With our 30M "war chest" qouted by The Mirror, that would be a minimum of 4.2M per player but having already spent approx 8M, we could spend 3.6M per player for the other 6. Looks like we might have to raid the lower leagues, don't expect any more "big" signings!

Might include a couple of free transfers/loans in that number though Dig Dig. Maybe we're building a squad big enough for European football this time next year? ;)

Also FWIW I think Miroslav Stoch would be a fantastic signing for us. Him and his fellow countryman Vladimir Weiss were incredibly unlucky to be overlooked by Chelsea and Man City for the first team, both good players now.

With our 30M "war chest" qouted by The Mirror, that would be a minimum of 4.2M per player but having already spent approx 8M, we could spend 3.6M per player for the other 6. Looks like we might have to raid the lower leagues, don't expect any more "big" signings!

It could be 5 free transfers an one for £22m.

I thought Cork did well last year and made us more solid. My reservations around him focus on his creativity and goal contribution.

Not his job. He's fine doing what he does, and vital to how we play. He's a ball winning midfielder who makes few mistakes and full of energy. Very important to us IMO, and any player who is going to force Morgan and Cork out the side are going to have to be very good.

That might depend on how many and which players we sell.

Budget will be flexible on whether the right players become available. After the clubs recent ambitious statements and Corteses showdown with the Liebherrs, I find it hard to believe we will be looking to spend just £20m more this summer. Certain circumstances, positive (bargains) or negatives (unable to attract higher quality players) might dictate otherwise, but given that I'd expect us bring in 2/3 high quality attacking players, a holding midfielder and a utility full back, I can see us spending quite a bit this summer.

Or any number of other staff - accountants, assistants, secretaries, agents, their friends, people close to the Liebherrs. There are all sorts of people who could know about it - and all sorts of chancers who could make it up and try to dupe the media. But even tabloids like the Mirror tend to corroborate figures like that - ie they'll hear £30m from one person and present that figure to other people for confirmation, denial or correction.

Or any number of other staff - accountants, assistants, secretaries, agents, their friends, people close to the Liebherrs. There are all sorts of people who could know about it - and all sorts of chancers who could make it up and try to dupe the media. But even tabloids like the Mirror tend to corroborate figures like that - ie they'll hear £30m from one person and present that figure to other people for confirmation, denial or correction.

No Duncan, we do our business in private, no way would someone leak to the media how much we have to spend. You keep your head in the sand pal.

Interesting snippets from BBC Sportsday:

Son Heung-Min's agent claims a host of Premier League clubs were interested in signing the South Korea striker, 20, before he completed a £8.49m move from Hamburg to Bayer Leverkusen.

Thies Bliemeister told German paper Bild: "Liverpool, Tottenham, Fulham, Southampton and Cardiff were interested in concrete terms. At the beginning and Manchester City. Chelsea and Manchester United have observed Son."

and

Lorient's former Arsenal striker Jeremie Aliadiere, 30, is wanted by Everton, Swansea, West Ham, Sunderland and Southampton, as well as Lyon and Marseille, L'Equipe is reporting.

So we're definitely on the look out for a striker, which is good - would have been delighted with Heung-Min, not so much Aliadiere...

Would be very surprised if those clubs were looking at Aliadiere. Was poor at Middlesbrough in the NPC, no reason why he'd be able to make the step up to the prem.

less than 200 appearances in a 13 year career. He sounds like the Algerian Kieran Dyer.

Any interest is all on the back of this season, which could be considered risky I know, but he's been very good. 23 goals and more impressively given his past, he played over 50 games. I don't know, he always had a good bit of technique but carried no goal threat. Wenger saw potential in him so I'm sure he has something. Could hit the ground running and be a good top flight striker, or could flop badly again. I'd hope for much better, but wouldn't write him off.

But Sagna and Ghervinioh say something about Wengers ability to spot potential...

Any interest is all on the back of this season, which could be considered risky I know, but he's been very good. 23 goals and more impressively given his past, he played over 50 games. I don't know, he always had a good bit of technique but carried no goal threat. Wenger saw potential in him so I'm sure he has something. Could hit the ground running and be a good top flight striker, or could flop badly again. I'd hope for much better, but wouldn't write him off.

Saw him quite a few times for Boro as got a good mate who is a boro fan. He used to moan about him even when they were in the NPC. Runs around a lot but could play for 5 hours and wouldn't get close to scoring.

Sagna has been a good signing hasn't he? Gervinho is rubbish but Wenger gets it right more than wrong, especially with cheaper young players. It's the bigger money more established signings he's been poor with.

Sagna has dropped off a cliff in terms of performance over the last 2 years (seems to be irreplaceable in Wengers eyes when he clearly can't defend or attack any more). I always thought of Wenger being a bit hit and miss with the potential of players sometimes getting lucky and sometimes sticking by players that clearly aren't working way beyond what is rational really.

he's terrible, or at least he's looked terrible for the last few seasons. Confidence is shot.

Same thing happened to Eboue there. The booing of him from Arsenal fans in one game I remember probably didn't help.

Edited by Saint Scott

Same thing happened to Eboue there. The booing of him from Arsenal fans in one game I remember probably didn't help.

Never advocate booing on your own players, but to be fair to Arsenal fans Eboue had been terrible in so many games prior to that one. His confidence was so shot he couldn't control the ball never mind play for a CL side. Wenger should have replaced him long before he did and I think the fans were almost booing Wenger in a way for not going out and buying a new right back.

Never advocate booing on your own players, but to be fair to Arsenal fans Eboue had been terrible in so many games prior to that one. His confidence was so shot he couldn't control the ball never mind play for a CL side. Wenger should have replaced him long before he did and I think the fans were almost booing Wenger in a way for not going out and buying a new right back.

same thing happpened to Lloyd James.

Hmm.... unnamed Premier League club spending big money on an Italian striker. May be nothing but... Anyone got a funny feeling?

SkySportsNews: Sky sources: Udinese reject £8m bid from an unnamed Premier League club for Matej Vydra #SSN

£8m isn't big money for us, it's standard fees these days.

Hmm.... unnamed Premier League club spending big money on an Italian striker. May be nothing but... Anyone got a funny feeling?

SkySportsNews: Sky sources: Udinese reject £8m bid from an unnamed Premier League club for Matej Vydra #SSN

Crikey. I knew he was highly rated. Didn't know he was £8m rated though.

He is at an Italian club but he isn't Italian - he is Czech. ;)

How many booed him? Anyone on here?

It's rarely the player, just the manager's decision to play them anyway. I never booed Jermaine Wright, just thought Burley was an absolute joke for picking him. If a player isn't trying and doesn't seem to give a sh1t, that's a different matter, and completely understandable for many fans that struggle to pay for tickets only to watch some lazy nobber pick up their fortune for nothing.

loads of people booed him. SAme with Guly, any surprises his form went to pot last season when he became the whipping boy.

£8m isn't big money for us, it's standard fees these days.

It is for a player with only 1 years Championship experience under his belt. Eyebrows were raised last year when we splashed £7m on Jay Rod. £8m for a Championship player is big-ish money.

Yep, wondered if it might be us as well. Don't know why.