Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

Heard that the Banega deal is nearly wrapped up and should be announced within a week. Not 100% on the source though (no, he's not off Twitter).

Forgive my cynicism... but signing him would be a little bit nuts. I can only believe it once he is wearing an Eterna watch over a shiny table.

Be a kick in the teeth for JWPs first team chances tho wouldn't it?[/QUOte]

Not if you want two players for each position. Well have schneiderlin, cork, Davis, JWP, Ramirez, and banega (or whoever it may be).

£9m for a current Argentine and Champions League central midfielder.

Or £20m for a relegated premier league central midfielder, current ROI international.

ummm...let me think for a second..

Just goes to show how ridiculously inflated the market is in this country.

No way?!? Really gonna happen?

alex_crook: Think the reports in Spain saying #saintsfc have bid €9 euros for Banega are close to the mark

Alex Crook has some pretty good sources IMO. (Yes, I know he said don't expect signings until after July 1st ;) - But I'd trust his opinion more than most)

No way?!? Really gonna happen?

alex_crook: Think the reports in Spain saying #saintsfc have bid €9 euros for Banega are close to the mark

They have to accept it, then we'd have to agree personal terms etc. There's a reason we try to do our deals secretly and it's the same reason Valencia would release it to the press- to try to get other teams interested.

I think we hold a genuine interest in him, there were links back in January as well if I remember rightly. If Valencia accept that sort of bid is another thing though, seems very low for a player of his undoubted ability - and as others have said, if that is his going rate, we'd be competing with 20 other clubs for him.

The fact that Valencia missed out on CL football could have a huge bearing on this though, they're skint as it is and were relying on a top 4 finish (which looked likely for a few weeks) in order to remain competitive. Wouldn't be surprised to see them do a Villarreal in the coming years.

Bidding is on thing, signing is another.

...thing we've done alright at.

Not a done deal, by all means, but Cortese and co have form for convincing players to come to our relatively humble and insignificant outfit :D

Just imagine....

Boruc

Clyne - Lovren - Astori - Shaw

Cork - Schneiderlain

Gaston - Banega - Rodriguez

Lambert

Subs - Davis, Forren, Yoshida, Ward-Prowse, Lallana or S.Davis, Puncheon, Mayuka or Do Prado or Sharp or Lee.

Although I'm unsure of Banegas position, is he more holding or attacking.

Banega would be an incredible signing - just the type of player needed to compliment Schneiderlin (or indeed Cork or Davis). We're stepping up, but this one does seem too good to be true.

I don't know enough about him other than what I have read on here, and from the obligatory youtube clips, but he looks a neat ball player, and passer. Given the choice though I still think we need a 'nasty bastard' in midfield to compliment Morgan and Cork. Of those mentioned Naingollen looks to fit the bill more closely.

Just imagine....

Boruc

Clyne - Lovren - Astori - Shaw

Cork - Schneiderlain

Gaston - Banega - Rodriguez

Lambert

Subs - Davis, Forren, Yoshida, Ward-Prowse, Lallana or S.Davis, Puncheon, Mayuka or Do Prado or Sharp or Lee.

Although I'm unsure of Banegas position, is he more holding or attacking.

Primarily played as a DM, but can play a range of positions through the middle as he holds all the tools.

Banega is mainly CM but used as ACM too, sometimes DM.

Looking at Uruguay´s games you often see Gaston play as a CM and it would be interesting to see him in that role in games when we dominate our opponents.

He´s really good sitting back and picking out passes like a quarterback and then put Banega in front of him as ACM....

Needs some pace on the wings to cut in behind the defenders.....

There you have it, the receipe to win against the lower teams of the table ;)

Morgan, Gaston & Banega as the 3 central midfielders would be very exciting as they can all interchange positions depending on the game situation - Cork, Davis & JWP provide excellent backup & options from the bench!

Add a winger and a quick striker and we would really be optimistic about next season.

Morgan, Gaston & Banega as the 3 central midfielders would be very exciting as they can all interchange positions depending on the game situation - Cork, Davis & JWP provide excellent backup & options from the bench!

Add a winger and a quick striker and we would really be optimistic about next season.

All three would be great backup for Shelvey, Henderson and Lucas for Liverpool... just ask RAWK :lol:

Benega, cork and Morgan will be fighting it out for CM role with Gaston in an advanced position IMO. Thats if we sign him of course.

Morgan and Banega is simply breathtaking for a team that is new to the PL.

Start of the season I wanted a CB, CM, ST and wideman and obviously we are going a long way to doing this. Its all about adding quality competition this year improving on what we have.

Personally, I would be disappointed to see Cork and JWP on the bench. Cork and Shaw turned us around last season, and I firmly believe this is JWP's breakthrough year. I wouldn't want to see this guy denying either of them a place.

thats how you get relegated

thats how you get relegated

So true.

And if we bring in better players that improves the squad and improves the quality in training. Who´s to say that players that are already here cant raise their level and beat off the new competition for team selection??

The thing we have to endure then though is the complaints on this board that we have bought players just to sit on the bench....

Personally, I would be disappointed to see Cork and JWP on the bench. Cork and Shaw turned us around last season, and I firmly believe this is JWP's breakthrough year. I wouldn't want to see this guy denying either of them a place.

You can't think like that, otherwise you never add to the squad to improve the quality - you just fill it with absolute dross that's impossible to get rid of, and it will lead to inevitable relegation as alluded to. Believe it or not, there are better players out there than Cork or JWP!

I understand the sentiment of not wanting to hinder a youngster's progress, but if you pass up the opportunity to improve what you have in the here and now, someone else will do it instead and then you get left behind.

I'd be excited if we bought a player like Banega, but I still think it's our least pressing area for improvement. The thing I'd be most concerned about with the signing is that central midfield requires a partnership - Cork and Morgan have that understanding locked down already and there's no guarantee than Banega will slot in quickly. However, if he doesn't then I doubt he'd be dropped in a rush which could damage the team. We'll see!

I understand the sentiment of not wanting to hinder a youngster's progress, but if you pass up the opportunity to improve what you have in the here and now, someone else will do it instead and then you get left behind.

Exactly this, I cant see JWP getting an aweful lot of game time this year which is a shame as I think he will be a v good little player. That said, you just cant stand still. We can do a Utd and give him some rotation but at the end of the day if we are looking to improve he will go out on loan or even sell him for a decent amount

I'd be excited if we bought a player like Banega, but I still think it's our least pressing area for improvement. The thing I'd be most concerned about with the signing is that central midfield requires a partnership - Cork and Morgan have that understanding locked down already and there's no guarantee than Banega will slot in quickly. However, if he doesn't then I doubt he'd be dropped in a rush which could damage the team. We'll see!

Least needed yes but Id definately like to see more competition here. Start of the season we were trying and failing to replicate a player like cork and so if we can grab someone to add to options and competition I think it will do wonders.

Plus, not sure you can turn down a player like banega

Exactly this, I cant see JWP getting an aweful lot of game time this year which is a shame as I think he will be a v good little player. That said, you just cant stand still. We can do a Utd and give him some rotation but at the end of the day if we are looking to improve he will go out on loan or even sell him for a decent amount

All depends on injuries and suspension. If 2 of our CM's were out for any period then Ward-Prowse would get a fair amount of games.

There's always the possibility to send him out on a month loan here and there and recall him if we are struggling for midfielders.

JWP would benefit from going to the championship and playing a whole season of football rather than a few mins here and there with us. Come back much stronger and better for season after.

agreed. Send him to Bournemouth perhaps. He'd be fantastic for them.

(I still like Bournemouth as a club despite their fans extremely odd behaviour in trying to make a rivalry when we were in the same league)