Summer 2013 HCDAJFU / Transfer thread

Glasgow_Saint

I think Lukaku cost Chelsea £17m before he'd even kicked a ball in the premier league. I suspect he wouldn't be sold for anything less than £25m now.

Anyway he won't go to a club not involved in European competition, a couple of years back the PL was the Valhalla of football but now if you're not in Europe you can't get top players (unless you have them already and they believe in the Chairman's project).

It seems to me that we're caught in a kind of void between what we are and what we hope to be. As a result we're trying to sign quality players who are reluctant to join a club of our current stature when they know they're good enough to sign for teams that are already where we are aiming to go.

I'm sure that Cortese and Pochettino know this, which is why we are apparently chasing a number of similar players when we couldn't possibly afford to sign all of them.

I'm prepared for some disappointments along the way - perhaps quite a few - but at least we seem to have started earlier this year, giving ourselves the leeway to keep plugging away until we get some quality biters.

I hope everyone can accept that this is our current reality - without ripping Cortese for the failures and calling players arrogant c*cks just because they're (understandably) looking out for their own interests.

Yeah, I'd love to see Lukaku here but Chelsea's response to an approach is likely to include the name Shaw. If that's the trade-off I'd rather keep Shaw.

It's nothing to do with the stature of the club.

The club is able to offer first team football in the premier league and big wages. The stature of the club is fine. European football would increase the stature of the club further, but I suspect, it's not the main problem.

It is the location of the city which is the problem. If we were based in Basingstoke for instance, we would be able to more easily attract the top players we are looking for.

Yeah, I'd love to see Lukaku here but Chelsea's response to an approach is likely to include the name Shaw. If that's the trade-off I'd rather keep Shaw.

Brilliant as I think Shaw already is, and great as he will eventually become, I'd make that swap. I don't see Shaw turning into another Bale - more likely to be the next Ashley Cole, i.e. a completely dominant left back who chips in with the occasional goal and assist. I think £28m is the highest fee ever paid for a full-back (Dani Alves), whereas Lukaku has the potential to be one of the top 10 strikers in the world, all of whom these days seem to command fees of upwards of £50m once they enter their prime.

I think world-class defenders are such a valuable commodity though, they're who you build your team around. Man Utd with Ferdinand, Chelsea with Terry, Barcelona with Puyol, Real with Pepe - having that quality at the back is more important than having a world-class striker imo. Goals tend to inflate transfer values far too much imo. Players like Grant Holt, Danny Graham and even Rickie have shown you don't need that pedigree to score goals at the top level. Can't remember the last time a defender made the step up from the lower leagues to become a real quality player at the top.

Think we'd be better off keeping Shaw and building our team around him, however good Lukaku is.

I think world-class defenders are such a valuable commodity though, they're who you build your team around. Man Utd with Ferdinand, Chelsea with Terry, Barcelona with Puyol, Real with Pepe - having that quality at the back is more important than having a world-class striker imo. Goals tend to inflate transfer values far too much imo. Players like Grant Holt, Danny Graham and even Rickie have shown you don't need that pedigree to score goals at the top level. Can't remember the last time a defender made the step up from the lower leagues to become a real quality player at the top.

Think we'd be better off keeping Shaw and building our team around him, however good Lukaku is.

If Shaw were a CB, I'd be more inclined to agree with you. However, I think it's hard to build a team around a fullback, however good they are, as the position inherently limits how influential they can be. Also, thinking back, I'd guess I've seen a single world class attacker destroy an average defence more times than I've seen one world-class defender dominate an average attack.

Nonsense. If it weren't for my natural attachment to our academy players and desire to keep them here I'd trade Shaw for Lukaku in a heartbeat. Attacking players cost more because goals are worth their weight in gold. Players who score goals are more valuable than players who defend wide areas and put crosses in.

Defenders often stay at clubs longer but that doesn't mean teams are built around them - Barca build around Messi, Real around Ronaldo, United around Van Nistelrooy, Rooney and now Van Persie. Having a strong, stable leader at the back is highly valuable but that's not what Shaw is.

Anyway, it's a moot point because Chelsea will not sell Lukaku permanently. The best we can hope for is another loan if Mourinho doesn't think he's ready for their first team yet.

Edited by DuncanRG

Brilliant as I think Shaw already is, and great as he will eventually become, I'd make that swap. I don't see Shaw turning into another Bale - more likely to be the next Ashley Cole, i.e. a completely dominant left back who chips in with the occasional goal and assist. I think £28m is the highest fee ever paid for a full-back (Dani Alves), whereas Lukaku has the potential to be one of the top 10 strikers in the world, all of whom these days seem to command fees of upwards of £50m once they enter their prime.

Thought the same, said to someone the other day that Shaw is much more of the bridge mould than that of Bale I.E A defender first and foremost.

Im also a little concerned at the rate of which he seems to pick up injuries but there you go.

You can get a solid enough LB, I disagree entirely with Mikey. Of course you require all areas of the team to be strong and so balanced you really do not build a team around a LB. Decent strikers are v hard to find, as good as Rickie is I think if we had a top 10 striker on board of the likes of Michu, Benteke or Lukaku then we would have been in a much stronger position.

Im also a little concerned at the rate of which he seems to pick up injuries but there you go.

He's a 17 year-old lad in the Premier League. I wouldn't be bothered if he gets knocked around a little bit, he's incredibly strong for his age.

Nice positive article from the Mirror about our latest transfer targets, as well as adding nothing new:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-transfer-news-southampton-suffer-1984923?

Southampton suffer transfer blow as three top targets snub the Saints

Southampton boss Mauricio Pochettino is set for a triple snub with THREE

high-profile players set to reject the club.

The ambitious Saints chief is keen on talented Cagliari midfielder Radja Nainggolan, powerful Celtic midfielder Victor Wanyama and Roma striker Pablo Osvaldo.

But Nainggolan, chased by a string of bigger clubs, maintains he would only move to Southampton as a last resort.

He said: "My priority is looking for a brighter future for my career and Southampton is my last choice.

"Southampton gave me the biggest offer at the moment among the other clubs

but I don't play football for money."

Wanyama, 21, is understood to have rejected an offer on the table from Southampton after confirming the Scottish champions had agreed a £12.5million deal for him.

Rome striker Osvaldo - a one-time target for Fulham and Spurs - is also set to snub a move to Southampton.

The Argentine-born Italy marksman wants to stay in Serie A or move to Spain this summer after being told he can leave.

Saints boss Mauricio Pochettino worked with Osvaldo during his spell at Espanyol but has so far failed to persuade the 27-year-old star to move to the Premier League.

Nice positive article from the Mirror about our latest transfer targets, as well as adding nothing new:

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-transfer-news-southampton-suffer-1984923?

So Naingollan we're offering too much money, and he won't join. Wanyama, not being offered enough, in his eyes. Shame, but b0ll0cks to them.

Pleased that Osvaldo wants to be elsewhere though, as he looks a certainty to cause ructions in the dressing room.

Not surprising. We are doing what we did last year and going for unrealistic buys.

But that should not be a problem, when you have the charismatic "master of manipulation" doing the deals, and selling the "project" to them should it ?

This summer's transfer dealings are looking remarkably similar to last year.

1 early-ish signing (Jay Rod June 10th 2012, Lovren June 14th 2013) followed by months and months of speculation and only another 2/3/4 signings.

:(

Edited by BlakeySFC

I expect we have far more irons in the fire than these three at the moment.

There are a couple of twitter accounts (saints fans) who are saying a "big" signing will be unveiled on friday at the same time as new kit is revealed. one of them reckon a 2nd signing will be unveiled on friday also and possibly another one earlier this week if all goes to plan. Maybe BS but they are both adamant that friday is the day and claim they have different sources that match up with what has been heard. We shall see.

There are a couple of twitter accounts (saints fans) who are saying a "big" signing will be unveiled on friday at the same time as new kit is revealed. one of them reckon a 2nd signing will be unveiled on friday also and possibly another one earlier this week if all goes to plan. Maybe BS but they are both adamant that friday is the day and claim they have different sources that match up with what has been heard. We shall see.

I don't get this big signing in our new shirt as its never happened before, I believe they will feature five players Lallana, Rickie, Spider, Shaw & Clyne doing a stand up pose with a caption.

I think we saw it when they announced we are going to Adidas.

I wish we would focus on targeting some premiership players instead.

Luluka (Chelsea) Jevonic (Everton) Johnson (Sunderland) Michu (Swansea) Milner (Manchester City)

Can agree, but what would they cost if you look at Wigan wanting £20m for McCarthy?

Southampton have launched a £15m bid for Cagliari midfielder Radja Nainggolan, according to the Daily Star

by skysportspeteo 7:16 AM

Bit late on the news or new bid??

if we've already offered the player personal terms then it would seem we've already had a bid accepted by his club.

I wish we would focus on targeting some premiership players instead.

Luluka (Chelsea) Jevonic (Everton) Johnson (Sunderland) Michu (Swansea) Milner (Manchester City)

Lukaku - definite yes but won't leave Chelsea this year IMO.

Jelavic ? - Didn't have a great season last season, not sure he'd be worth what we'd have to pay.

Johnson - Adam Johnson? He's ****.

Michu - Class but won't leave Swansea.

Milner - Runs around a lot, don't think he'd fit in the system we play anyway.

There is so much more value for money abroad, it's just finding the right players that want to come here. Let's say we go after 10 players that generally won't want to come as they're above our level. We manage to sign 1/2 of these, we can improve our squad

@gregvul: @OfficialRadja your interview with Goal was interesting.Did u really say southampton wud be your last choice or was it lost in translation?

@OfficialRadja: @gregvul it was lost a little bit in translation hahaha

(Nainggolan's twitter)

@gregvul: @OfficialRadja your interview with Goal was interesting.Did u really say southampton wud be your last choice or was it lost in translation?

(Nainggolan's twitter)

Bit more positive, Surprised he's replied to a Saints fan too!

(Nainggolan's twitter)

Meant to say....."Southampton is the last place I'd want to go, but if nothing better comes along the EPL has always been a dream for me, the Southampton way is the way I want to play and I look forward to fulfilling the chairmans vision and completing this exciting project...and getting a new watch"

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach

Interesting development in Radja Nainggolan story. I am told he is not a player #SaintsFC are after. Player using club to drive up price.

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach

I am told talk of Roma's Pablo Osvaldo to #SaintsFC is also untrue.

Joan Verdu has signed for Real Betis, 4 year contract.

Doesn´t bother me, dont think he would be up for it in PL due to lack of pace.

I had a mate go on holiday to Spain and saw him play whilst he was over there. Said he was amazing, great football brain, creative and a leathel in front of goal, should be a full Spanish international. Think we might have missed out here.

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach

Interesting development in Radja Nainggolan story. I am told he is not a player #SaintsFC are after. Player using club to drive up price.

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach

Well why would the player want to boost the price ? Would expect there is something in that story.

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach

Simon Peach ‏@SimonPeach

Why don't the club put out on twitter that we have never been interested in these players and that they are full of **** :)