Bomb in Boston

Hatch

One of:

a) Gas explosion (it was a hotel)

b) a Tim McVeigh nutter type

c) Al Qaeda

d) NK (they have bombed planes in the past)

e) Iran

at a guess. Bomb forensics will go a long way to helping identify it. if it's c) they'll take the credit (and they might anyway). Having lived in Boston, thankfully my mates there are ok (and their sons and daughters who had decided to go to watch the finish - phew).

cowards and arseholes if it's not a

If the reports of ball bearing type cluster bombs are true, we can discount a)

Depends how desperate they are.... who knows the true internal situation there?

Agree. I reckon its unlikely to be NK. But you've got to be some sort of special nutcase to plan something like this so, until we hear otherwise, I wouldn't rule anyone or anything out. It could even be domestic and/or anti-government, as its Patriots Day in the US today and Boston is a historic city.

If the reports of ball bearing type cluster bombs are true, we can discount a)

and C, D and E imo. If reports are accurate lots of small bombs, several of which dont go off and using ball bearings arent the work of an organised group or state. Domestic imo.

The ones at the top don't give a **** and the ones who are desperate have no power to do anything.

Unless they are under pressure from the populace.....

A new inexperienced dictator comes to power. They all of a sudden get feisty..... If a starving population has turned on the state they will be desperate.

Terrible news - can I follow it on Sky? No, Eastenders is on. :rolleyes: TF for tinternet.

...and now the wife gets "bored" of the BBC News coverage and turns on Mike and Molly. I swear if the UK received the 4 minute warning, we'd be dead because there'd be an episode of The Following on or some sh*t and we wouldn't know about it...:rolleyes:

My feeling is that it will be homegrown. Al Qaeda have taken a large hit in the last decade, and similar groups are embroiled in the Arab Spring and so I don't think they will have the resources or the time to carry off something like this. And at the same time, it doesn't have to be extremist Islam based. Norway wasn't. Norway turned out to be an extreme right wing christian fundamentalist.

Seems very odd that they'd be up there all by themselves though.

If I was about to detonate two bombs, the last place I'd want to be is right next to the explosions, I'd be at least a block away, at least. Little escape from up there too...

Heartbreaking images coming out of Boston, especially a lad cradling what appears to be a deceased loved one. Also some graphic images, which really shouldn't be trending on twitter of what appears to be remains.

Listening to the police, emergency and fire services on the scanner, they've got the FBI taking the suspect at the common away and they've now asked for a bomb squad here...

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=250+longwood+boston&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=0x89e3798c13f57e3f:0x83e2809dce13aa72,250+Longwood+Ave,+Boston,+MA+02115,+USA&gl=uk&sa=X&ei=Vn9sUYC4OYKbPcPCgPgG&ved=0CDAQ8gEwAA

While it's absolutely horrible what's happened in Boston, I hate to think of the disproportionate amount of press this incident will receive compared to the dozens of terrorist bombings across the world on a daily basis which go pretty much unnoticed by mainstream media. Understandably this is a slightly different scenario given that this is an attack on American soil, but bombings in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc are almost like white noise to people now.

While it's absolutely horrible what's happened in Boston, I hate to think of the disproportionate amount of press this incident will receive compared to the dozens of terrorist bombings across the world on a daily basis which go pretty much unnoticed by mainstream media. Understandably this is a slightly different scenario given that this is an attack on American soil, but bombings in Iraq, Afghanistan, Pakistan etc are almost like white noise to people now.

It really is a totally different scenario tbh.

Its not really difficult to understand that a terrorist attack in a country that is much more mirrored to our own culture will get more air time then one that is in the middle east etc

Not that it makes the human tragedy in any place any more.... Tragic

But Afghan etc is a war zone, weapons are more readily available and security more lax.