Pulis leaving/resigning/sacked

jjsaint

Not entirely sure he is that great a manager, he has built the club in his image, a talentless lump thats hard to beat and good in the air.

Any other club I reckon he will struggle and honestly reckon that Stoke will struggle without him. This was on the cards all year as Stoke want to step on, but to where ?

They are in trouble IMHO and this will turn out to be a big mistake

Once more playing Saints has resulted in the kiss of death for the opponents manager. Would love to know how many managers have lost their job after playing Saints. Happens uncannily too often.

They won't get Hughes in if the problem is fans feeling they've stagnated and the style isn't what they want.

Funnily enough when Adkins took over at Reading I posed the question "why doesn't he wait for Stoke ?" and turns out that could have been a possibility.

They won't get Hughes in if the problem is fans feeling they've stagnated and the style isn't what they want.

Funnily enough when Adkins took over at Reading I posed the question "why doesn't he wait for Stoke ?" and turns out that could have been a possibility.

..or Leeds, or 'Boro, or Wigan ?

I bet that's not true at all.

It's a tough one with Stoke. They've done well, but with awful football. Some say 'well if it works' etc., but it doesn't last, it doesn't help you build an improving side, people figure out how to play it. Increasingly the footballing sides are prospering, I'm not sure you can do a Stoke now. It's terrible that Pulis spent so much just on a hoofball team. BUT, I bet they struggle more under the new man and retrospectively Pulis will seem even better.

Especially if they appoint Hughes, which just seems insane.

perhaps the thinking there if Harry couldn't do anything with them then QPR are really a pile of shîte and it might not have been all Hughes' fault.

always thought adkins should have waited till summer.

saying that, he will have had a few months with his team, majority of which won the division a year ago.

no doubt would have had guarantees from the owner about getting players in and the bonus of staying in the area

always thought adkins should have waited till summer.

saying that, he will have had a few months with his team, majority of which won the division a year ago.

no doubt would have had guarantees from the owner about getting players in and the bonus of staying in the area

Adkins isn't a front line PL manager who's at the top of everyone's list. His results at Reading were pretty poor, lesser than McDermott's I think.

Stoke want Mark Hughes? :facepalm: They might as well have stuck with Pulis.

If they're determined to change their style, Martinez would be perfect for that job, aside from the fact I think he'll have one more season at Wigan to push for promotion.

Stoke want Mark Hughes? :facepalm: They might as well have stuck with Pulis.

If they're determined to change their style, Martinez would be perfect for that job, aside from the fact I think he'll have one more season at Wigan to push for promotion.

Stoke going for a massive change of style (Martinez trying to get them to tip-tap it about) would just be suicide. Carnage.

Mark Hughes sounds like a decent bet for them. He's had about one bad half season in the top flight with a very good record of mid table/upper mid table.

I'd put Stoke 10-12th under Hughes.

..or Leeds, or 'Boro, or Wigan ?

The point being they're all in the Championship, we know he can get a Championship job, Adkins would have been better off waiting and getting into a club at the level he was at when he left Saints. I suggested Stoke at the time as Pulis was under fire and they're the sort of club he'd be alright at, with no pretensions of glory like, say, Sunderland, who were also looking like they might need a new manager at that time.

Adkins isn't a front line PL manager who's at the top of everyone's list. His results at Reading were pretty poor, lesser than McDermott's I think.

To be expected when your remit is not to keep them up but to build a side to get them back up, as it clearly was from the comments when he took over. He wouldn't be wasting his time picking players likely to leave.

Massive appointment for them next. Pulis had done a brilliant job but done it in the ugliest way possible. If they really do go for a "passing" style next year, they've got a lot of sh1t to shift from their squad...

They have quite a few decent footballers in that team, Crouch for a start. Just because they've been told to play in a certain way doesn't mean that's all they can do - no-one thought Delap was a hoofball merchant when he was here (of course his Prem time has passed, but just an example), or Nzonzi when he was at Blackburn, and the likes of Shotton, Shawcross and Huth can pass a ball if they need to. They won't lose their defensive solidity overnight either (especially if Hughes comes in).

Agreed that Hughes would be a terrible option for a side that wants more flair though, he's always built his sides on solid defence first, and they already have that.

They have quite a few decent footballers in that team, Crouch for a start. Just because they've been told to play in a certain way doesn't mean that's all they can do - no-one thought Delap was a hoofball merchant when he was here (of course his Prem time has passed, but just an example), or Nzonzi when he was at Blackburn, and the likes of Shotton, Shawcross and Huth can pass a ball if they need to. They won't lose their defensive solidity overnight either (especially if Hughes comes in).

Agreed that Hughes would be a terrible option for a side that wants more flair though, he's always built his sides on solid defence first, and they already have that.

I think Hughes would be perfect, probably a nice blend between Pulisball and proper football.

I'd still say they've got a big task moving on some players. I don't agree that Shotton or Nzonzi are any good, likewise Whelan, Wilkinson, Wilson etc.

The very makeup of their team is for Pulisball, I think it'd be hard for a "passing" manager to go in there and get quite limited players to all of a sudden start playing tika-taka. I don't think the retention of Huth, Shawcross or Crouch (as decent as he is on the floor) will make any difference.

Hilarious how everyone is slagging off Hughes, seems to be another mboards classic of writing off a manager without looking at the reality.

He did an excellent job with Wales and Blackburn, where they finished 6th and 7th and qualified for Europe, reasonable jobs at Fulham, where they finished 8th and again got Europen football and Man City, where is was widely regard that he was harshly sacked. The only place he's done badly is at he train wreck that is QPR and even then he did no worse than Redknapp who spent another £20 odd million in The January transfer window.

Mark Hughes makes perfect sense and has done very well with two clubs of similar size. Still, keep writing him off mboard.

Hughes is a decent enough manager, they couldnt go too far from the lump it up field blueprint as they are not set up for it. Mark will go in and try to stabalise them, get a few decent signings in (unless he does what he did at QPR) and move from there.

What I said earlier in the thread still stands though, purely from a players perspective Stoke will struggle next year as they were made for Pulis. I expect they will finish just outside relegation to which people will slag off hughes who will end up getting them mid table the following season

Stoke friends on mine aren't impressed, which of course makes it a great move.

Part of his remit is to bring through the youth as they have fantastic set up know. They have invested their PL money wisely.

Not all of it - VERY high in net transfer spending league since they got promoted, and most of their spend has beeb on older players with very little resale value. This was big gripe with stoke fans I spoke to before last game of season

Not all of it - VERY high in net transfer spending league since they got promoted, and most of their spend has beeb on older players with very little resale value. This was big gripe with stoke fans I spoke to before last game of season

Agreed but their infrastructure has gone from being L2 to PL. Coates has made sure of it.

Stoke friends on mine aren't impressed, which of course makes it a great move.

Part of his remit is to bring through the youth as they have fantastic set up know. They have invested their PL money wisely.

I wondered where all the 7 foot tall 8-year-olds had gone to.

I wondered where all the 7 foot tall 8-year-olds had gone to.

They have a very good set up with good outreach. 2 of Corky's nippers are at one of their development centers and those lads ain't going to be lofty!

Kids are all coached to pass out from the back and keep possession.

It's pretty full on though as friend of ours has just pulled their kid out as he needs to be there 3 nights per week for 2hrs plus games at weekends. This is the reason I said no to Port Vale regarding my own nipper.

They took their time, looked at how others ran theirs and adopted the best bits. They knew they were playing catch up as the other clubs around them already had good set ups, especially Crewe and Port Vale, which have always hoovered up the more technical players.