Fox

Cork

Davis

Mayuka

Guly

Isgrove

Osvaldo

Subs: Davis, Fonte, Lallana, Lambert, Rowe, Turnbull, Ramirez

Give the majority of first team players that have not had start play. That side should have more than enough for Barnsley. Lallana, Ramirez and Lambert on the bench as an insurance policy and Rowe there to come on if we are comfortable second half or we need a player who is quick and direct to break them down and Turnbull to bring in for a run out if we look comfortable.

Play Osvaldo for 60 minutes.

Edited by Bewildered
Added 2 more subs to bench.

I would go with:

Davis

Clyne Yoshi Jos Fox

Cork Davis Ramirez

Guly Osvaldo Mayuka

Both Os and Gas both need game time - more match fitness for Gaston and more integration to the team for Os.

Subs:

Targett,

Isgrove

Stephens

Lambert

Gazz

Do we give the fringe players a run out, or go strong with the aim of scoring a hatful? Perhaps give Ossie and Ramirez some game time? Surely our second string could do a job here.....

Davis

Clyne

Fox

Maya

Jos

Spider

Cork

Ramirez

JRod

Isgrove

Ossie

Subs: Gazza, Chambers, Davis, Mayuka, JWP

Would love to Lee involved, but won't happen.

Give Ramirez and Ossie a run out together, give JRod the chance to find the net.

Edited by Suhari

Saints under 21's lineup today vs Reading...

Johns, Young, McCarthy, Turnbull, Targett, Moore, Flannigan, Sims, Sinclair, Gallagaher, Seager

Subs: Cropper, Colmer, Robinson, Branker, Mugabi

Omar Rowe, Jack Stephens, Harrison Reed and Lloyd Isgrove missing, so they could be some of the 7 subs for the Barnsley game.

Do we give the fringe players a run out, or go strong with the aim of scoring a hatful? Perhaps give Ossie and Ramirez some game time? Surely our second string could do a job here.....

Davis

Clyne

Fox

Maya

Jos

Spider

Cork

Ramirez

JRod

Isgrove

Ossie

Subs: Gazza, Chambers, Davis, Mayuka, JWP

Would love to Lee involved, but won't happen.

Give Ramirez and Ossie a run out together, give JRod the chance to find the net.

so we pull a key player off injured at half time on Saturday and then send him out in a Capital cup game at Barnsley. Midfield will be Cork and JWP (or even Davis)

Saints under 21's lineup today vs Reading...

Johns, Young, McCarthy, Turnbull, Targett, Moore, Flannigan, Sims, Sinclair, Gallagaher, Seager

Subs: Cropper, Colmer, Robinson, Branker, Mugabi

Omar Rowe, Jack Stephens, Harrison Reed and Lloyd Isgrove missing, so they could be some of the 7 subs for the Barnsley game.

Cheers MLG.

I am hoping/expecting Isgrove to start tomorrow.

so we pull a key player off injured at half time on Saturday and then send him out in a Capital cup game at Barnsley. Midfield will be Cork and JWP (or even Davis)

Was Spider injured in Saturday? Hadn't seen that - assumed it was a tactical sub to accommodate a more attacking intent.

Was Spider injured in Saturday? Hadn't seen that - assumed it was a tactical sub to accommodate a more attacking intent.

Schneiderlin and Shaw weren't fully fit according to Adam Blackmore of BBC Radio Solent, no news on "Spider" though...

Adam Blackmore ‏@bigadamsport 24 Aug

Apologies for delay in replying to queries about fitness of Schneiderlin & Shaw - both are ok but came off after not being 100% in the week

--------------Davis-------------

Clyne--Hooiveld--Yoshida--Fox

-------Cork--Ward-Prowse-----

Guly---------Davis--------Isgrove

-------------Mayuka--------------

Gives the rest of the squad a chance to impress and this team should have enough to record the win.

--------------Davis-------------

Clyne--Hooiveld--Yoshida--Fox

-------Cork--Ward-Prowse-----

Guly---------Davis--------Isgrove

-------------Mayuka--------------

Gives the rest of the squad a chance to impress and this team should have enough to record the win.

that team would probably get beat

I trust you jest sir !

Championship team of the year when we went up, stuck with us in league one when westham came knocking, been (apparently) a great person to have around the squad.

May have been found to not be a "premiership standard" keeper anymore but i'd say he's been fantastic for us over the years for sure!

Championship team of the year when we went up, stuck with us in league one when westham came knocking, been (apparently) a great person to have around the squad.

May have been found to not be a "premiership standard" keeper anymore but i'd say he's been fantastic for us over the years for sure!

no doubt, then again i don't set much store on loyalty and being a good bloke. Well I do but not when judging professional footballers. Davis has many weaknesses, I believe i pointed them out to you all in the run up to our first season back in the Prem. You're a knob and a loony was the general verdict but come the first few games I was shown to be absolutely right. Davis is not a PL keeper and his failings cost us the NPC title.

no doubt, then again i don't set much store on loyalty and being a good bloke. Well I do but not when judging professional footballers. Davis has many weaknesses, I believe i pointed them out to you all in the run up to our first season back in the Prem. You're a knob and a loony was the general verdict but come the first few games I was shown to be absolutely right. Davis is not a PL keeper and his failings cost us the NPC title.

You sound a nice bloke lol

------------------------Davis

Chambers------Yoshida--------Hooiveld-------Fox

-----------------Cork----------Davis

Ward-Prowse----------Lallana-------------Isgrove

----------------------Mayuka

Gazza, Stephens, Clyne, Reed, Rowe, Guly, Rodriguez

A few selection dilemnas, don't want to overplay the youngsters, so no chambers, shaw or ward-prowse; don't want to risk injuries, so shaw (again) and spider would sit out as they came off on Saturday? And maybe Clyne still isn't fully fit; want to give confidence to forwards, but don't want to tire out next weekends side. I think lallana, lambert and osvaldo will play Saturday so I'd rest them. Can't see an issue with tiredness amongst the keeper and centre backs, but want to give maya some game time. With that in mind I'd go for boruc, maya, hooiveld, Fonte, fox, Davis, cork, mayuka, Ramirez, isgrove, j rod. I'd have Clyne, wanyama, osvaldo and lallana on the bench. And gazzaniga, lambert and maybe targett.

Edited by Chewy
Forgot 7 subs, not 5

that team would probably get beat

Have you ever thought that Saints might actually win a game ??

Your negativity is now really becoming extremely boring, why are you a Saints supporter if all you ever think about is losing?

Everybody know's we will not win every game but we support the team to win not lose.

We are going to win this cup this season. One down with 10 minutes to go, and win it in the last minute.

Fulham 1-2 Saints

Have you been time travelling Doc?

A Final against Fulham would be good, bit like playing Carlisle in The JPT- 50000 Saints Fans.(When we can't even fill SMS for the opening game of potentially our most exciting season ever!!)

It's the Old Prem Survival v Mickey Mouse Cup Match scenario again. But this time, I think we will virtually all agree we have a bit more about ourselves, and survival, whilst isn't a 100% shoe in, is certainly acheivable!!

The Next LeveL ..... Europe? Well, this competition is most certainly our most realistic chance of qualification into Europe, so why treat it as a training match for the reserves? The next leg of this competion excluded, our next mid week game is Dec 4th, and a blank weekend for many of the squad after Norwich, so too many fixtures isn't really an issue. A good mix of 1st teamers and squad players, rather than a team totally made up of fringe players is the order of the day, and good use of subs to rest key players if we get off to a good start shoul see us through.

My motto has, and always will be play to win. We've witnessed enough Cup match shambles in both the FA Cup and this Cup over recent seasons, by virtually hoisting up a white flag of surrender before we even start. A morale sapping loss can't do fringe players any good at all, but the chance to be a part of a winning team alongside some of the big guns can only do their confidence some good.

Lets kick off our March into Europe in style!! COYS

I have a friend who lives in the posh part of Barnsley (Silkstone) and supports Sheff U but also loves watching Saints on TV so last night I persuaded him to go along tonight just to see how good we are! I'd hate it if we put out the development squad - which is very likely - and he wasted his money watching our also-rans and no hopers but that's the way of PL football clubs these days.

Clubs who never win anything still turn their noses up at this opportunity to get hold of some silver ware. I don't get it, why bother to enter in the first place if it's all too much effort and inconvenience.

Still with a bit of luck Barnsley will put out their third team so we might just be in with a shout.

What pubs are people going to tonight?

They tend to direct all away supporters to the bar at the Metrodome leisure centre just up the hill from Oakwell. Barnsley is a very strange, insular little place where outside folk aren't really welcome. So much so that they even consider people from Sheffield as southerners!

They tend to direct all away supporters to the bar at the Metrodome leisure centre just up the hill from Oakwell. Barnsley is a very strange, insular little place where outside folk aren't really welcome. So much so that they even consider people from Sheffield as southerners!

I know Bexy, I live just off of junction 35 which is 2 down, so I know exactly what people are like from up there.

No, Thorpe Hesley

Oh yeah, I know it. I briefly had a job in Tankersley a few years ago where everybody else in the office was from Barnsley. I've lived in Sheffield for the best part of ten years now, but I still have my southern accent (of sorts) and I now know what it is like to be the victim of racial discrimination!