Di Canio sacked....

Olallana

I agree it was inevitable. However I had mixed feelings about his 'confrontation' with the crowd at the weekend. He said he wanted to look in the eyes on the fans who had lost - it was easy to go and see them when they were cheering and celebrating after a win but not after a loss. The sentiment had some merit but he just looked like he was goading them.

I agree it was inevitable. However I had mixed feelings about his 'confrontation' with the crowd at the weekend. He said he wanted to look in the eyes on the fans who had lost - it was easy to go and see them when they were cheering and celebrating after a win but not after a loss. The sentiment had some merit but he just looked like he was goading them.
yes but the cameras picked out the couple of dinlos who were anti him but failed to hone in on all the others who were applauding him. I was a snippet from May where he was talking about a player who had been out and had a picture of himself covered in money,Di Canio fined him and was right in saying the modern footballer should set a good example to the yung. In principle i agree but its the way he does it that is wrong

I'm not sure he ever really had them - initially they upped their game because they wanted to play and be part of his plans, while they sized him up... now though, 5 games in, they have seen that there is no encouragement, no support, no help for them... only criticism and management by fear. It's entirely the right decision IMO, although the club have to hold their hands up... either they didn't do their homework, or they simply made a huge error in judgement if they ever felt that style of management would work.

It doesn't matter how much you're paid, or how much fans might think players should simply 'do their job' because of what they're paid... if you're an employee who does not feel valued and part of something worthwhile, you will either leave or do something about it. They did something about it.

He might have toned down his political views, but his management style was closely linked to it, and this was inevitable IMO.

My only regret about this decision is that we never got to beat Sunderland with him in charge. A loathsome man with loathsome views.

Despite some considerable acumen as a coach, his man-management style was always going to cause problems. Talking about himself in third-person; banging on his desk while being interviewed when he heard that Wigan had

scored last season; berating players in public almost every weekend; and confronting fans at the final whistle (whatever his intentions were), all smacked of self-importance, naivety, and an unwillingness to adapt his approach to a group of players that were surely signed, in part, for their mental characteristics that Di Canio so craved. What a contrast to Poch, who after being praised about Liverpool win, just talked of the players getting the credit and continuing to work hard behind the scenes. Dignity, respect, humility, and quiet confidence - not traits I'd ever associate with Di Canio.

To be fair, Sunderland needed to change a lot if they were to escape from the clutches of mediocrity, and Di Canio did achieve his immediate goal of avoiding relegation. But as I said in my predictions thread, a case of too much too soon.

It's entirely the right decision IMO, although the club have to hold their hands up... either they didn't do their homework, or they simply made a huge error in judgement if they ever felt that style of management would work.

It was a panic appointment. Last season they very very nearly did go down, and if they hadn't have beaten Newcastle at St. James's Park, I suspect they would not have had the momentum to beat Everton and would have gone down. So from that perspective, he succeeded in what he was brought in to do. OK, he was given £19m to bring in 14 players. One way of looking at that, is that he spent less than it would have cost them should they have been relegated. On the other, he leaves a club with 14 new players and what some might consider to be overly disjointed, although I think a good man manager should be able to bring them together. Either way, if you lose the dressing room, then however good or bad you are at managing, your time's up, and by the sound of things, he had completely and totally lost the players. It's about man management, and I was surprised that O'Neill supposedly failed on that front, as that was one of the things he was known for. Have to agree with Steve Bruce who said that Di Canio's style was old fashioned. You never know what goes on behind closed doors, but on the face of it, which Italian would you want to play under - Di Canio or Di Matteo?

Nothing wrong with criticising players when they need it. Di Canio choses to do some of it in public, which is debatable, but imho, if there are freeloaders at the club then why not use the media to make them uncomfortable and generate a performance out of them or get them to f**k off for good? Sunderland knew what they were getting with Di Canio. He hasn't acted any differently. Yet they get rid at the instigation of players? Well, it's up to the players to now show what they are made of but the poor sod who get's taken on will have a serious power balance to adjust, which seems is what Di Canio was up against from the start after the mediocrity of O'Neill. Suspect for Sunderland it will be a repeat of the disasterous 3 managers in a season when they got relegated. Reckon they'll be on the blower to Eddie Howe.

It was a panic appointment. Last season they very very nearly did go down, and if they hadn't have beaten Newcastle at St. James's Park, I suspect they would not have had the momentum to beat Everton and would have gone down. So from that perspective, he succeeded in what he was brought in to do. OK, he was given £19m to bring in 14 players. One way of looking at that, is that he spent less than it would have cost them should they have been relegated. On the other, he leaves a club with 14 new players and what some might consider to be overly disjointed, although I think a good man manager should be able to bring them together. Either way, if you lose the dressing room, then however good or bad you are at managing, your time's up, and by the sound of things, he had completely and totally lost the players. It's about man management, and I was surprised that O'Neill supposedly failed on that front, as that was one of the things he was known for. Have to agree with Steve Bruce who said that Di Canio's style was old fashioned. You never know what goes on behind closed doors, but on the face of it, which Italian would you want to play under - Di Canio or Di Matteo?

It was a panic appointment, but at the time the right one - so long as they only contracted Di Canio until the end of the season. Sunderland were going nowehere else but the Championship under O'Neill. The key to O'Neill's failure was not having John Robertson as his assistant, just goes to show how important the management team is, not just the manager.

Giving Di Canio a contract into this season was a recipe for disaster, as was bringing in 14 new players over the summer. Whether that was Di Canio's decision or not remains to be seen but it will take a big job to get that team to gel. Di Canio will probably be finished in English football as a manager, the only club I could ever see him managing would be West Ham where he is still idolised - Gold & Sullivan are stupid enough to appoint him.

He was a nothing manager hyped up beyond belief. Acheived nothing except promotion from the bottom tier, the kind of thing that the likes of Steve Cotterill/Paul Sturrock/Martin Allen/loads of managers none of us have ever heard of has achieved.

Mouthing off about not drinking coke or taking the sugar out of the training ground cafe or other such rubbish like he was some football revolutionary. He isn't. Won't work in the Premier League again unless he gets promoted there.

I go along with all of that CB, but I really expected your contribution to this thread to be pointing out that it isn't Saints-related ?...or ?

I go along with all of that CB, but I really expected your contribution to this thread to be pointing out that it isn't Saints-related ?...or ?

What? Don't think I have ever posted that.

And I read the forum on Tapatalk so 90% of the time I don't know what threads are where anyway.

All I can rely on is whatever the thread, you'll write something inexplicible. Just nuts.

Sorry to see him go so early. Thought there'd be weks more fun to come yet before .

The man's a clown, as well as being a fascist.

Nice quote I heard recently though --- "You can say what you like about Mussolini-loving Di Canio, but at least he got the players to train on time" ;)

My only regret about this decision is that we never got to beat Sunderland with him in charge. A loathsome man with loathsome views.

Despite some considerable acumen as a coach, his man-management style was always going to cause problems. Talking about himself in third-person; banging on his desk while being interviewed when he heard that Wigan had

scored last season; berating players in public almost every weekend; and confronting fans at the final whistle (whatever his intentions were), all smacked of self-importance, naivety, and an unwillingness to adapt his approach to a group of players that were surely signed, in part, for their mental characteristics that Di Canio so craved.

The only thing missing from this description in my opinion, are his political beliefs. I acknowledge it's a punch below the belt, but I think this kind of 'loathsome views' have no place whatsoever in the game.

• 2 weeks later...
Given that Poyet was supposedly "in talks" with Sunderland nearly two weeks ago, are we to assume that he bottled the opportunity of starting his job with tough-looking games against Liverpool and Man United?

Been taking tips from Redknapp. Next he'll be slagging off the Uruguayan FA as soon as he knows he's never getting that job. :)

I do hope he brings his brand of cheating to the Prem and gets absolutely slated by all and sundry for it, but with all his mates at the Beeb I suspect it'll have to be Sky that progress that agenda...