Victor Wanyama sidelined for six weeks

Saint-Armstrong

The thing is, I said this was coming 2 weeks ago. And duncan RG just ripped into me as a bed wetter.

How long can you do double training sessions and play the same 13players week in week out with this intensive style of play and not get injuries.

To compound this, the utter lack of squad rotation means players like cork and yoshida, who were regulars last season, now have had no game time, and are making mistakes.

I described this as MoPo's biggest weakness, he had the same issues at espanyol regarding fatigue and player fitness...

Its also interesting because we had comparitely very good runs with injuries under Adkins... eg. Morgan who was essentially uninjured for 2.5 years...

I like the way we're playing and the clubs philosphy, and i like MoPo.. I think he is a good manager who makes good tactical decisions to affect games as well.

However, a not insiginifant part of me wonders what Nigel Adkins would have achieved with this squad, and we certainly wouldnt have had these injuries with him in charge. I accept that it is unlikely we would have landed osvaldo... but Lovren was signed by NC and the comittee, as was wanyama.

The "gash" as so many people have named him, would also be getting more game time, and Lambert would be doing better...

The thing is, I said this was coming 2 weeks ago. And duncan RG just ripped into me as a bed wetter.

How long can you do double training sessions and play the same 13players week in week out with this intensive style of play and not get injuries.

To compound this, the utter lack of squad rotation means players like cork and yoshida, who were regulars last season, now have had no game time, and are making mistakes.

I described this as MoPo's biggest weakness, he had the same issues at espanyol regarding fatigue and player fitness...

Its also interesting because we had comparitely very good runs with injuries under Adkins... eg. Morgan who was essentially uninjured for 2.5 years...

I like the way we're playing and the clubs philosphy, and i like MoPo.. I think he is a good manager who makes good tactical decisions to affect games as well.

However, a not insiginifant part of me wonders what Nigel Adkins would have achieved with this squad, and we certainly wouldnt have had these injuries with him in charge. I accept that it is unlikely we would have landed osvaldo... but Lovren was signed by NC and the comittee, as was wanyama.

The "gash" as so many people have named him, would also be getting more game time, and Lambert would be doing better...

So Big Vic colliding with the keeper and Boruc with the post, was down to extra training. You learn something new on here every day.

Just wondering, if they were rotated into the team in games previous than wednesday they would not make any mistakes in those games and also not on wednesday?

We rotated this wednesday, admittedly by force, and imo that showed why we wont rotate unless we have to.

Awww what crappy news is this? No Wanyama? No Morgan? Our entire defensive midfield ripped from our line up. Sure we have cover in the shapes of Cork, Davis, JWP and Reed but they're not in the class of Morgan/Victor. They'll be a massive loss. No Clyne is a loss too, now we truly get to see what Chambers has to offer. No Boruc for a couple of months too - that's a massive loss when you look at what we have instead of him.

How long's Fonte out for? I never thought we'd be so keen to get him back in the first team!

the resting them against sunderland has no right or wrong answer. no one will say they were wrong.

the club clearly had a policy that the league cup was no.4 and a way to get the younger players a chance.....rightly or wrongly

Out of the Cup and slipping down the League I would say unless planned it is wrong unless I am missing something, this cant be spun, its a mistake or over optmism in the abilty of our 1st team or naivety in the fact we wont get injuries.

Not sure how two bone injuries in games are due to over training???

Maybe there are negatives of MP's methods....the alternative? Easier training / less pressing? Wonder where we would be?

People moan that GR is waste of money as is parasite, feel sorry for Cork and suggest he leaves...how many quality players can saints keep happy in squad just in case injury crisis?

MS is immense for us, ability, work rate, reliability, awareness etc...Cork, Davis etc good players but big step down.

Don't think Villa would have had look in (well hardly did!) If either VW or MS were there.

If Fonte is recovered we still compare with last season - lost Boruc / MS but added Lovren, Osvaldo plus JayRod, Lallana improved.

Is Clyne definitely out? Chambers kept him out of side so will be missed but not disaster.

Man C if perform can beat whoever we put out.. But still chance with this team but less hopeful

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Shame if he's injured but CM is probably our strongest area in terms of quality in depth so it's not the end of the world.

An injury to Clyne, Lallana, Shaw, Lovren or Boruc is worse news.

Sadly it seems Clyne and Boruc are also injured!

Could easily go into free-fall between now and the end of Jan.

I hope MPo can muster some Churchillian team talks through his interpreter, cos it's gonna need a triumph of sheer will, in the absence of much talent, against terrible odds not to see us in the mire by the end of February.

Could easily go into free-fall between now and the end of Jan.

I hope MPo can muster some Churchillian team talks through his interpreter, cos it's gonna need a triumph of sheer will, in the absence of much talent, against terrible odds not to see us in the mire by the end of February.

Just in case you start feeling more depressed pal:

08457 2090 2090 2090

What are you on about. He had to manage the same squad as Adkins last season and did well.

He took over a team which was on a good run and confident but his record last season was no better than adkins.

The test of mopos real merit has been the last 3 and the next 6 imho. When it gets tough you really get to see what a manager is made of

Not sure how two bone injuries in games are due to over training???

Maybe there are negatives of MP's methods....the alternative? Easier training / less pressing? Wonder where we would be?

People moan that GR is waste of money as is parasite, feel sorry for Cork and suggest he leaves...how many quality players can saints keep happy in squad just in case injury crisis?

MS is immense for us, ability, work rate, reliability, awareness etc...Cork, Davis etc good players but big step down.

Don't think Villa would have had look in (well hardly did!) If either VW or MS were there.

If Fonte is recovered we still compare with last season - lost Boruc / MS but added Lovren, Osvaldo plus JayRod, Lallana improved.

Is Clyne definitely out? Chambers kept him out of side so will be missed but not disaster.

Man C if perform can beat whoever we put out.. But still chance with this team but less hopeful

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

At least 6th but settling for 11th, surely?

Quite so. We can speculate all we like but we shall never know what difference putting out a full first team would have made. It could be that our league position would have been worse.

We should petition the FA now, that we be allowed to pull out of the FA Cup immediately

*bites*

Why pull out of the cup when it's a great opportunity to play fringe players and expose the development squad to first team action?

Thats what the teams in the chmpions leage or advance stages of eufa do....... not teams that finish 14th

we are acting like one of the big clubs, but weve done nothing and won nothing

*bites*

Why pull out of the cup when it's a great opportunity to play fringe players and expose the development squad to first team action?

**reeling you in**. Not at all - unlike the league cup you do at least get some league game free weekends in the later rounds. And I loved 2003

So Big Vic colliding with the keeper and Boruc with the post, was down to extra training. You learn something new on here every day.

Talk about selective injuries. Did clyne also run into a post. What about all the other various ins and outs we've had in recent weeks or early substitutions to combat fatigue. There is no smoke without fire and if you over work the body you pick up niggles.

Talk about selective injuries. Did clyne also run into a post. What about all the other various ins and outs we've had in recent weeks or early substitutions to combat fatigue. There is no smoke without fire and if you over work the body you pick up niggles.

if I am mistaken, every single team has picked up niggles this season

I'm no expert but I think we've a fairly decent medical/ sports science department, which probably constantly analyses fatigue levels. I doubt players are even allowed to play if they are in the injury danger zones.

Morgan said as much in an interview recently, less injuries than he's ever had.

But how is it that other teams that dont use our system pick up injuries also then?

........sometime before we were relegated (pre-2005).......we had SIX defenders injured and finally utilised a Northern Irish lad called Chris Baird:lol: ........think he ended up as a candidate for Player of the season and was promptly sold to Fulham for £3 million.......

........sometime before we were relegated (pre-2005).......we had SIX defenders injured and finally utilised a Northern Irish lad called Chris Baird:lol: ........think he ended up as a candidate for Player of the season and was promptly sold to Fulham for £3 million.......

Define "promptly".

Edit: just looked it up and happy to confirm total appearances by Chris Bard in our relegation season: zero. Not even one in the cups.

David, if Hollywood ever makes "The Chris Baird Story" then they probably will go with your version.

Edited by CB Fry

Well the training program is being amended to include more rest time and less double sessions so perhaps it is taking it's toll.

or the message is sinking in?

Seen a few club managers talk about it this season and last and they all talk about how demanding our style is and how you need a big squad (ala Barcelona) before even contemplating such tactics week i week out.

mopo is a young and developing coach so i guess you have to make some allowances and allow him to learn from mistakes

question is - does he know any other way of playing?

or the message is sinking in?

Seen a few club managers talk about it this season and last and they all talk about how demanding our style is and how you need a big squad (ala Barcelona) before even contemplating such tactics week i week out.

mopo is a young and developing coach so i guess you have to make some allowances and allow him to learn from mistakes

question is - does he know any other way of playing?

Hopefully he knows that there is a better than even chance of being found out in games now, so he's adapting to suit with a "plan b" strategy. We will see over the coming weeks I guess. Also it could be a seasonal thing. Too much training in the winter can be detrimental to the mental health too. Well it is for me anyway! Really looking forward to the next few games to see how the fringe players perform. The best motivation to the regular first teamers is to know that there is a fringe player more than filling their shoes and I think we've been a little too settled recently with the team selection. Not a criticism, more of an observation.

What, apart from our recent form and current league position vs pre-Sunderland, you mean?

Remember, these are facts, not speculation.[/quote). During the debate regarding the cup game it was pointed out Hull being in a similar position to us at that time a few seasons back and just avoided relegation . Whilst I do not expect to get relegated just yet, Iam realistic enough to accept our squad is not deep enough and with enough quality to fight on 2 cup runs and the league. I have put 2cup runs as of course if you expect to put your best side out in the League cup you would also have to do so In the FA cup. Even without the injuries would you expect us to be able to cope with that?