Nicola Cortese: appreciation thread

SO16_Saint

We did have a good thing going. His drive and determination pushed us, but let's not forget he had access to a pretty big pot of funds for the relative leagues we were in.

But he did good, got us where he promised and made all the right calls at the right times. Time will tell if this is another correct call on his behalf.

Let's see what the future holds.

a very sad day.

on his watch, we shot up through the leagues and set the club up good and proper

from the bottom of league 1 to 9th in the prem in 4 years or so. incredible

we will see if he was just an mere employee that any old hack could have done an equal job

Thanks Nic and for saying 'hello' to me that day you said hello to me. Thanks for masterminding our return to the Premier League taking us from our lowest ebb to where we are now.

Now, we have a lady in charge, I'm hoping we will spend big because all women like shopping whether they need things or not.

Why is spending money the be all and end all of everything?

a very sad day.

on his watch, we shot up through the leagues and set the club up good and proper

from the bottom of league 1 to 9th in the prem in 4 years or so. incredible

we will see if he was just an mere employee that any old hack could have done an equal job

Give the new stewardship the same pro rata as we are not now in League 1/Championship and we can compare.

I think you can judge NC on two fronts - what he did for the club in terms in footballing terms which to my mind was almost faultless and what he was like as a person and on that aspect I think I best not comment.

I know what any sane fan would be more concerned with.

I wouldn't say sanity, but the vast, vast majority of fans would never have had any personal contact with Nicola Cortese therefore their concerns would in most cases lay with the first point.

Indeed and that is why he was so popular. He delivered on the pitch. I loved that aspect but he also treated me personally pretty shabbily regarding the book and no matter what I found that hard to accept. Personally I don't think it a good day for the club, better the devil you know and all that but he was no God.

Without him, we'd be playing either Pompey or Eastleigh this season and for that I'm grateful.

Didn't always agree with his decisions or manner of doing business but can't disagree with the results he's delivered and his tenure has given me memories to match those of the Lawrie Mac era.

He might have been a monumental **** at times but he was our monumental ****, got us punching above our weight and the foundations he has laid for the future mean that the club is secure now that he has gone. Staplewood is a done deal and all we need to do is keep investing in the Academy to ensure top-flight survival. Perhaps now we won't reach the dizzying heights of CL but we can expect cup runs and maybe sneaking a Europa place from time to time (so basically on a level with Everton). Happy with that.

Key is stability and keeping hold of MoPo and players until at least end of season. Assuming if he stays in football he will now go to the AC Milan job, and I can't see any of our current crop being the sort of player they would sign so hopefully we can keep the squad together.

Maybe he will be back with a consortium to buy the club if Liebherr does put it up for sale - he certainly has the nous and contacts to put a deal together.

Cortese directed vast amounts of cash our way when all seemed lost. I know the money came from the Liebherr's, and full credit to them for that, but Nicola brought it to us, as these day one articles show.

http://pap.centelia.net/EC_20090709_MAIN_TAC_042.PDF

http://pap.centelia.net/EC_20090709_MAIN_TAC_043.PDF

Five years later, and look where we are. I don't know if Nicola is this way inclined, but if he wanted to stand on top of Albion Towers, arms aloft shouting "veni vidi vici", I'd have no problem with that. Based on the five year plan, that's what he did.

Didn't agree with every decision he made. The whole boycott of the Echo made us look like a laughing stock, as did the insistence on bought and paid for press photos and our consequent billing of South Coast Club. Roughly this time last year, we were all shocked with the ruthlessness of Adkins' sacking, especially with Pochettino waiting in the wings. Even if you saw the cold hard logic of the decision, you also had to take into account the negative press we got as a result. Hopefully the rift with the Echo will now be repaired.

Whatever your opinion, Cortese was his own man, and as much as single-mindedness can be an asset, it's probably what did for him in the end.

Thanks for everything, Nicola.

Let's see a bit of positivity Saints fans, it's not the end of the world and it could be a lot worse like the pub team down the road.

Having said that, thanks for everyone Mr Cortese you saved our club and put it where it belongs! It's been left in top shape with a great infrastructure and a great team.

Full support behind Katrina now though!

#SFC

Hero. Done an amazing job with us, I'm pretty devastated with today's news. We've gone from being the blueprint for all other lower clubs to being the laughing stock. Can't believe it. Best of luck in the future Nicola, you will be missed here.

Why are we a laughing stock????

Chairman leaves, manager will probably leave, players will leave, shambles.

Can anyone remember if Chairmen, Managers or Players have ever left Saints before?

I think I can remember it happening previously but maybe I'm mistaken?

Can anyone remember if Chairmen, Managers or Players have ever left Saints before?

I think I can remember it happening previously but maybe I'm mistaken?

When Lowe left, many managers left and loads of players left as a result

I don't think that was out of loyalty though lol

Thank you Mr.Cortese, you've done a great service and drove us through a remarkable turn of events almost impeccably.

Life goes on though, I trust the Liebherr's to recognize the potential that the club has and to appoint someone who will make it happen again. It might not be so spectacular, but really I don't think there's another place most Saints fans would rather be than watching a team built from the bottom with a few very talented and hard-working players having a good season in the best league in the world.

I think you can judge NC on two fronts - what he did for the club in footballing terms which to my mind was almost faultless and what he was like as a person and on that aspect I think I best not comment.

Very few of us know him as a person but all of us know of him as a football person,in that respect he was superb

Indeed and that is why he was so popular. He delivered on the pitch. I loved that aspect but he also treated me personally pretty shabbily regarding the book and no matter what I found that hard to accept. Personally I don't think it a good day for the club, better the devil you know and all that but he was no God.
you have to accept that the book was very big in your life but very small in NC's. I recall he changed his mind regarding stocking it in the club shop, something must have done to upset him to do so. Either profit margin or something else. I do understand you being upset if you felt wronged but he was obviously a complex man and so easily annoyed