Phillip Seymour Hoffman dead

Bananaman

A wife, 3 children, a very good film career that was still going strong, Oscar award winning and only 46. He must have had some serious demons to kill himself with drugs.

A shame.

Supposedly been in and out of rehab for some time, big into heroin. I fail to have sympathy for him, I'm afraid.

How kind of you. What other illnesses do you dismiss any sympathy for?

It's a tricky one this. I'm only too aware that addiction of any kind is classed as a mental illness. I've known people myself who have struggled with various debilitating addictions (and I'm not just talking about smoking fags) and I've seen what it can do to previously healthy, functioning members of society. But heroin? It's not like alcohol where you can restrict yourself to the occasional pint or two with your mates down the pub, and the dangers of its addictiveness are very well known. Once someone starts dabbling with that it's only ever going to end badly, therefore it is a little harder to feel sympathy for someone who willingly puts themselves in that situation.

Sorry but I have to agree with OldNick as his name meant nothing to me.

Honestly I feel very sad for his relatives but at the end of the day it's one less junkie who can inflict pain on others.

Given his very successful film career, I think it's fair to say that he could afford his habit and therefore didn't need to go out in the street and mug old ladies to score his next hit.

It's a tricky one this. I'm only too aware that addiction of any kind is classed as a mental illness. I've known people myself who have struggled with various debilitating addictions (and I'm not just talking about smoking fags) and I've seen what it can do to previously healthy, functioning members of society. But heroin? It's not like alcohol where you can restrict yourself to the occasional pint or two with your mates down the pub, and the dangers of its addictiveness are very well known. Once someone starts dabbling with that it's only ever going to end badly, therefore it is a little harder to feel sympathy for someone who willingly puts themselves in that situation.

Sad news. Powerful and understated actor.

Sorry Bexy, but I have to disagree. If you are an alcoholic it is not possible to 'restrict yourself to a pint or two', far from it.

As for heroin, most people who start on smack do so without full account of the situation: i.e. naivety and peer pressure (we've all been there to some degree) or, for many, they are already at point they need help.

Sure, there are plenty of 'sickboys' out there who take the attitude they can handle and do 'dabble'.

However, the sad fact remains that most addicts are addicts first, and the focus of their addiction comes second, determined by circumstance mostly; alcohol, drugs, gambling, etc, all on the rise. Addiction consumes and is a disease. People should be comfortable tackling, and then hopefully beating, all its guises head-on.

Much love to the family and to anyone else who has suffered such a tragic, yet avoidable, loss.

Sorry Bexy, but I have to disagree. If you are an alcoholic it is not possible to 'restrict yourself to a pint or two', far from it.

Yes, I quite agree. But I wasn't referring to alcoholics in my post. But the point I was trying to make was that the vast majority of people are able to enjoy alcohol without ever developing an addiction to it. The culture of alcohol allows for that. Heroin culture does not.

Yes, I quite agree. But I wasn't referring to alcoholics in my post. But the point I was trying to make was that the vast majority of people are able to enjoy alcohol without ever developing an addiction to it. The culture of alcohol allows for that. Heroin culture does not.

Okay, sorry it didn't read that way to me late last night.

Although this 'culture of alcohol' you speak of; are you suggesting it is a good thing?

Alcohol kills many times the number of people in the UK and ruins many many more lives than heroin addiction. One could argue because it is so available and 'culturally' acceptable. Many of us enjoy a drink or two, although most of us to our physical and mental detriment; even if we acknowledge that or not.

Again, I don't see why an heroin addict is less worthy of help than any other really?

Is it because it can take years of drinking to develop a dependency and addiction or because one stupid mistake with a needle one night can ruin your entire life? !?!?

Poor b*stard, he won't get the sympathy that he deserves because of the manner of his death. He's not the first talent laid to waste by heroin though..

Big Lebowski remains one of my favourite films. RIP.

Big Lebowski remains an important tool for separating people with taste from those who do not.

Mr Lebowski is differently abled. This is not about the rug, I assure you.

Okay, sorry it didn't read that way to me late last night.

Although this 'culture of alcohol' you speak of; are you suggesting it is a good thing?

Alcohol kills many times the number of people in the UK and ruins many many more lives than heroin addiction. One could argue because it is so available and 'culturally' acceptable. Many of us enjoy a drink or two, although most of us to our physical and mental detriment; even if we acknowledge that or not.

Again, I don't see why an heroin addict is less worthy of help than any other really?

Is it because it can take years of drinking to develop a dependency and addiction or because one stupid mistake with a needle one night can ruin your entire life? !?!?

It's not even about what's culturally acceptable and what's not. What I meant by culture is the different ways in which people consume alcohol and heroin, and the different ways they affect the mind and body. Even if heroin was legal and had no stigma attached to it, you wouldn't ever pop down the pub after work for a quick social hit of smack with your mates before dinner.

Anyway, I'm not personally saying that I think he deserves less sympathy than if he had died of other means. My initial response to Adriansfc was really just to highlight why many will see it that way.

A lot of people who die from a heroin overdose do so exactly because they have largely weaned themselves off of it. Junkies gradually build up a tolerance so they can end up taking really large doses. If they then come off the drug for a long time one shot of what they used to tolerate is enough to kill them.

Cool, I didn't mean to get 'all up in your grill' about it!

Just having the conversation that many of the responses in today's press and social media have failed to; understanding heroin is just as likely to affect a loved one as it is a Hollywood star. This is the first step to tackling it head on.

As Buctootim says;

A lot of people who die from a heroin overdose do so exactly because they have largely weaned themselves off of it. Junkies gradually build up a tolerance so they can end up taking really large doses. If they then come off the drug for a long time one shot of what they used to tolerate is enough to kill them.

Precisely. WTF is he. ?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/04/top-15-philip-seymour-hoffman-movies

A few movies that may or may not jog your memory...

He was great in pretty much anything I ever saw him in, but Mission Impossible 3 was a stand-out 'big popcorn movie' bad guy role that he killed. Also so good in Punch Drunk Love.

RIP.

Edited by Cascadia Saint