Winter Olympics

Hatch

Starts Today

Can someone please explain why snowboarders don't wear proper kit, and instead wear all this big heavy coats and 'trendy' clothes?

Surely the first person to wear a more suitable outfit for performing somersaults and shyte like that would have a massive advantage.

Starts Today

Can someone please explain why snowboarders don't wear proper kit, and instead wear all this big heavy coats and 'trendy' clothes?

Surely the first person to wear a more suitable outfit for performing somersaults and shyte like that would have a massive advantage.

Well as I think companies like Oxbow and RipCurl give the top boarders shedloads of money to promote their products to other brainless dorks who try to board for a week once a year and then wear the same kit to raves and nightclubs for the rest of the time I can't see suitable ski clothing catching on any time soon in those disciplines.

OK so the Opening Ceremony is in full swing.

I expect there are some shallow graves being dug already for the Firing Squad in the morning.

Started with some 11 Year old girl reading the Russki alphabet on a video then she took off while holding a kite...

And a number of Avatar mountains floated by - populated by a horse, a cow, some Reindeer.

Then 5 snowflakes were supposed to transform into the Olympic rings - except only 4 did :mcinnes:

Then there was the Russkie flag - peeps in costunes making ripples. Well some were in time, some wandered around and some just left big holes :mcinnes:

Vlad did NOT look amused. Meanwhile our 'tater (sounds like John Helm) has clearly taken a bung (got a hotel room that was finished) to gush obscenely about how wonderful Russia is.......

Only another 3 hours to go. Almost deserved a thread of it's own but then it would have had to be in the Muppet Show

The spectacular show began with 'faux-lesbian' singers tATu holding hands on stage despite anti-gay laws

Within minutes of ceremony starting, one of five gigantic snowflakes failed to blossom into an Olympic ring

IOC President made apparent attack on anti-gay laws: 'Games are never about erecting walls to keep people apart'

Oh and just found this. Even the Germans took the p1ss

http://www.sportsgrid.com/sports-politics/is-germany-giving-putin-the-big-middle-finger-with-these-winter-olympic-uniforms/

Have a nice evening Vlad

Edited by dubai_phil

It's all a bit of a fake Olympics really isn't it. Does anyone really care much for it outside of Scandinavia?

Its only because of lack of good winter sportsmen in Great Britain. If there we any good ones fighting for medals I doubt you would say that, mate. North America, Europe (excl, GB I guess), Russia, Far East Asia are always interested in Winter Olympics. And I totally deny your statement of fake Olympics.

Its only because of lack of good winter sportsmen in Great Britain. If there we any good ones fighting for medals I doubt you would say that, mate. North America, Europe (excl, GB I guess), Russia, Far East Asia are always interested in Winter Olympics. And I totally deny your statement of fake Olympics.

I speak wholly for myself. I cannot stand winter sports.

It's all a bit of a fake Olympics really isn't it. Does anyone really care much for it outside of Scandinavia?

In 16 years I have never heard anyone here use the name "winter" Olympics, they only ever call it the Olympics. Probably tells you all you need to know. Can't blame them though, they go from minor players in the proper Olympics, to slugging it out with Russia, USA and Germany for the top of the medal table.

snowboarding final just about to start, we have 2 finalists out of the 12.

Billy Morgan from Southampton as well. The town famous for producing winter olympians.

Good chance of a medal

Edited by Hatch

snowboarding final just about to start, we have 2 finalists out of the 12.

Billy Morgan from Southampton as well. The town famous for producing winter olympians.

Good chance of a medal

having your event out of the way straight away has to be good

go in, get it done, maybe win a medal, spend two weeks trying to catch a filly in the olympic village

For a nation that doesn't really have much in the way of proper mountains I think we do very well. 2 guys in the final 12 for the snowboard slopestyle (one who was in second place at the halfway point) is a big achievement for a nation like GB, and we have one of the top performers in the world in the skiing equivalent. The women are also stronger across the board and probably hold our best hopes for medals. We won't win too much, and compared to the traditionally strong nations we're way off, but to have anyone up there in the elite is an achievement in itself, and this winter Olympics probably sees our strongest team ever.

There's dancing in Chez Dubai_Phil tonight as Polish hero Kamil Stock takes Gold in the Ski Jumping.

I would have joined in, but I was still rolling around the floor after the German Jumper's name was mispronounced.

Andreas **** - as all of us know, the W is pronounced Vank in German.....

In 16 years I have never heard anyone here use the name "winter" Olympics, they only ever call it the Olympics. Probably tells you all you need to know. Can't blame them though, they go from minor players in the proper Olympics, to slugging it out with Russia, USA and Germany for the top of the medal table.

Don't forget Canada, just won our 2nd gold and 5th metal in all...

I really like the Winter Olympics, as a spectator sport it's a lot more exciting. How many events are there in the normal olympics that can be life threatening and dangerous? There's a proper edge to the winter olympics that just makes it's more enjoyable to watch. Just watched the moguls, blimey, people face planting left right and centre. Cracking stuff.

Another gold and silver for Canada!!! Men's moguls.

Two golds and two silvers put Norway back on top for now at least.

You can tell an event is favoured towards one nation when Norway's best female skier falls over and doesn't qualify, then the next best hope loses her pole and is effectively out of the race in the final, but Norway still takes gold and silver.

Did anyone else hear MLT get a mention last night? It was during the half-pipe, the commentator said something like "watching -whoever- was like a MLT volley".

Just saw that on catch up. One said this is like getting to watch Paul Schools practice. The other said no its like getting to watch Matthew Lee Tissier bang in a few volleys.

Maybe it was that Billy Morgan guy.

Fake Olympics?!

:lol:

They seem to care for it quite a lot over here. Fancy that!

General rule for sport appreciation: if you've ever played or participated in a sport, you find it interesting to watch. When I was a kid I played football and cricket every day (during their repsective seasons) - so I found them both fascinating to watch onTV. When I first came to Canada I thought that baseball was the most ridiculous, overrated sport ever (like a glorified game of rounders). But I started to play it when I got to university ("softball"), and the nuances and intricacies of the game began to be revealed. Watching it on TV suddenly became a lot more interesting. And so it goes.

Couldn't agree more. Not one single person that I know or work with have said a single word about the winter Olympics - not one. Can I name any former English winter Olympians...? Err after the fairly obvious T & D and Cousins, then all I have left is Eddy the Eagle.

Apologies if I'm doing people a disservice, but for me, it's a total non event.

Couldn't agree more. Not one single person that I know or work with have said a single word about the winter Olympics - not one. Can I name any former English winter Olympians...? Err after the fairly obvious T & D and Cousins, then all I have left is Eddy the Eagle.

John Curry & Amy Williams have won gold. Not a huge list of talent, but they did it nonetheless.

Personally I prefer to Winter games to the summer version.

John Curry & Amy Williams have won gold. Not a huge list of talent, but they did it nonetheless.

Personally I prefer to Winter games to the summer version.

Agreed. Winter sports just have that edge that you don't get in the summer events, no chance of serious injury in the summer. For the Winter games it's not just about sheer athleticism, you need balls of steel for most of the events too, that for me is a big attraction.

Well done Miss Yarnold, stunning how the Brits seem to excel at this.

Still rather taken by Miss Williams though, if forced to choose

This!

We don't even have a track here, there's a single 'push' track to practice on in the whole country, and yet we've won a medal in skeleton at every single Olympics that's featured it, now including back to back Champions.

For you, it's a "total non event". Do you realize how parochial you sound? "Does anyone really care much for it outside of Scandinavia"? Err ... Canadians, Americans, French, Italians, Czechs, Austrians, Swiss, Germans, etc., etc.

:rolleyes:

For you, it's a "total non event". Do you realize how parochial you sound? "Does anyone really care much for it outside of Scandinavia"? Err ... Canadians, Americans, French, Italians, Czechs, Austrians, Swiss, Germans, etc., etc.

:rolleyes:

It's a good laugh and an interesting watch but nowhere near the scale of the proper Olympics.

Given that there are very few sports I DON'T enjoy watching, it's obvious that I'll be watching the Winter Olympics as much as the summer ones. But the great thing about the Winter ones is the risk associated with so many of the events - especially the snowboarding and the sliding down hill on sleighs / tin trays.

I'm loving it :)

It's a good laugh and an interesting watch but nowhere near the scale of the proper Olympics.

This is what makes life interesting, we all have different opinions. I'd much rather watch the winter Olympics over the summer games, just seems more of a spectacle to me.

Each to their own I guess.

This is what makes life interesting, we all have different opinions. I'd much rather watch the winter Olympics over the summer games, just seems more of a spectacle to me.

Each to their own I guess.

Why do you think that is? For me, the actual olympics are the genuine ones, have many more countries taking part, do not exclude countries simply because they don't have snow in them, have disciplines like the 100m which are purely a test of athletic ability and don't have as many dull as dishwater sports such as skating and going down a course on a tray. Obviously there is the chance of many more British athletes doing well in the summer so it's more exciting from that point of view too.