Ralph Krueger - Chairman

david in sweden

Well personally from what little I've read about our new chairman and his (and KLs) hopes for the club I'm pretty happy with how things have turned out since NC left. No signs of the total collapse of the club that many doom mongers predicted. Seems like every effort is being made to keep MP and I don't think will lose any of our top talent unless they really want out badly, in which case the won't be cheap and will have money to strengthen the team anyway. Honestly the future of the club all seems pretty good to me right now.

Edited by doddisalegend

The way Cortese was able to have a number of Football journalists eating out of the palm of his hand by the time he left and the way those same journalists tore into KL and tried to sell a story of a club in with a clueless owner looking for a quick way out after he quit suggests he was more media savvy than people think.

Cortese started out badly with his media connections and gradually learned how to handle them better. Towards the end of his tenure, he had cultivated a few chosen journalists that he gave the time of day to, in return for them writing glowing articles about him, praising his meticulous attention to detail when it came to preparation before a match, the mattresses, hotel room cleaning, their own chef, etc.

It made good copy, a Club Chairman who was a control freak. When he left under a cloud, no doubt it also made good copy, possibly aided and abetted by Cortese, for them to portray us as a club in crisis. After all, Pochettino had already been used as a pawn in Cortese's earlier spat with KL and had not unnaturally muttered platitudes in support of the man who gave him his chance of managing us. So what made the better scoop? A club in crisis, rudderless without the ambitious chairman who had brought about its meteoric rise through the divisions and who harboured dreams of us playing in the Champion's League, the owner wanting to sell, the dynamic young manager following him out of the door and the best players leaving as a result?

Or business as usual?

The journalists have had their little feeding frenzy, but the manager didn't leave, the owner made the right noises about business as usual, the players are still all here and apparently happy to remain here for the forseeable future. Now the journos have another angle that excites them; the arrival of a top coach from a different sport to take over as chairman and they can happily resurrect the parallels when SCW came to us and speculate about how it may become the disaster that befell us that last time.

The way that things have panned out with us in the media has much more to do with how journalists favour doom and gloom copy than it has to do with Cortese being media savvy.

Sounds in a nutshell like commercial growth and Academy focus. Sales of the odd player every couple of years to keep the books balanced.

A return to the Rupert Lowe philosophy then? I know we can't help it if players want to leave but I would hope our new board will do all it can to keep hold of the players the club develop. Otherwise what is the point in developing them in the first place?

We could end up just become a feeder club for the big four and the reverse situation of what Les Reed said he didn't want to see happen to the lower league clubs. With that philosophy in place we essentially would become Chelsea or Arsenals B team. Lowe's chairmanship ended up with him just seeing the pounds signs in his eyes any time we produced a talented player. I hope that doesn't happen with this new board. I know we have to be realistic, but I would hope we at least try to put up a fight in keeping our talent longer than a season or two. Otherwise why bother at all?

A return to the Rupert Lowe philosophy then? I know we can't help it if players want to leave but I would hope our new board will do all it can to keep hold of the players the club develop. Otherwise what is the point in developing them in the first place?

We could end up just become a feeder club for the big four and the reverse situation of what Les Reed said he didn't want to see happen to the lower league clubs. With that philosophy in place we essentially would become Chelsea or Arsenals B team. Lowe's chairmanship ended up with him just seeing the pounds signs in his eyes any time we produced a talented player. I hope that doesn't happen with this new board. I know we have to be realistic, but I would hope we at least try to put up a fight in keeping our talent longer than a season or two. Otherwise why bother at all?

Practically every club loses players to a bigger more well funded club.

Based on your why bother at all comment you may as well not bother with football anywhere in the world as the game is built on greed at almost every level.

Without an extraordinary investment in the first team squad we might be able to sneak into 6th place and it would require a committed group of extremely loyal players to try and add to that which unfortunately is unlikely.

Not sure what to make of him to be honest.

Bit early to make any judgement on him at this stage, I would say the Summer will be the first big test for him and we'll see how he does there.

Seems like a decent enough guy that seems quite cordial and friendly compared to Cortese, not sure how much he knows about footy but aslong as we keep MoPo that won't be a real issue.

From the little I saw of him on South Today and from what I've read our new chairman comes across as humorous, friendly, and quite approachable. These are not qualities I readily associate with his predecessor to be frank. In addition he seems to know what he wants and how to go about achieving that goal.

The (very) big news of course is that we are told that KL intends to retain ownership of the club for the foreseeable future. Now I can't honestly say I was entirely sure she would, but I'm entirely delighted she is if you know what I mean.

A good day for Southampton Football Club and all who hold its welfare close to their hearts methinks.

Not sure what to make of him to be honest.

Bit early to make any judgement on him at this stage, I would say the Summer will be the first big test for him and we'll see how he does there.

Seems like a decent enough guy that seems quite cordial and friendly compared to Cortese, not sure how much he knows about footy but aslong as we keep MoPo that won't be a real issue.

As long as he keeps to his word of delegation to those skilled in each area and takes onboard advice I don't see that as a problem, for example Les Reed is still director of football and he clearly knows his football.

Sounds promising. I like the references to respecting club history... Looks like it's stripes next year then :)

Also sounds like conversations have already started to MoPo about a new contract and he seemed positive that there would be something to announce whether sooner or later but MoPo's signing would certainly be a signal of intent. I'm sure he wouldn't sign if he thought all his best players were to be sold and that the plan was to stabilise in mid table.

The futures bright... The futures red and white (stripes).

Two pints is better than one.

An excellent first impression, and great to see the fans on this forum actually giving him a chance, and more. Like others have said, lively to read KL's words. I sit not far from her on match days, and her face is a picture when the fans sing for her dad. I think things like this have made a massive impact on her.

When I met Pochettino I felt a connection. :facepalm:

Involved with team selections??? :facepalm:????????????????????????????????????????????????

Apart from that seemed a decent enough guy. Will reserve judgement for a while.... Actions as alway speak louder than words

I fully understand you matey............BLATANT LIE.:mcinnes:

why????

I don't think that you can draw too much from the interview save what was explicitly stated or can be reasonably implied. First, the club is not for sale. Second, it's unlikely that he'll have joined to see us plummet down the table; wouldn't be great for his reputation if the club regresses from the lofty heights we reached with Cortese at the helm.

Though the focus seems to be set on the commercial end of the business, you can't really have that without success on the pitch underpinning it. Prize money and gate receipts are areas of growth the club should be targeting. Merchandising is also huge; and not capacity-limited in the same way that TV money and bums on seats are. If there is enough demand, you can flog as many shirts as you can make, etc. None of that is possible without success to sustain it. I also think we'll be one of the strongest advocates of Premier League B.

The pessimistic possibility is that our academy is going to be a player factory for the bigger clubs, but that goes against Les Reed's statements about the academy being there for Southampton's benefit. Vagueness about the long-term future is likely part management speak, not wanting to make promises he can't deliver on, but mostly just not having definitive answers on a lot of issues. Like is Poch staying, etc, etc?

I am cautiously optimistic. Externally, he looks sensible so far - a good communicator and evidently someone who has been in the background for a while before taking this job (bad leaders often look without leaping). As others have said - actions speak louder than words.

I fully understand you matey............BLATANT LIE.:mcinnes:

why????

Can you "lie" while asking a question?. . Only on SWF :lol:

I ask the question - involved in team selection? Because this comment made me wonder.

“I’ve had experience in major league sport and the principles are transferable"

then goes on the say

“Everything needs to happen naturally. There need be no rush on either side. Pochettino needs to focus on all the important games coming up and I need to make space for him to do his work. He’s a very honest, strong personality with strong values. He should feel comfortable.”

I ask the question - involved in team selection? Because this comment made me wonder.

So basically you facepalmed your own question??

Seems about right....good job, keep it up.

Can you "lie" while asking a question. . . Only on SWF :lol:

It is ok mate.:p

Someone has explained.

I did not fully understand.

Therefore you do not have to explain yourself to me.

I will leave you in peace.........with your bit of fun.

Good luck and best wishes.:rolleyes:

When I met Pochettino I felt a connection. :facepalm:

Involved with team selections??? :facepalm:

Apart from that seemed a decent enough guy. Will reserve judgement for a while.... Actions as alway speak louder than words

Does this mean you'll actually be coming to the Cardiff game?

What you mean this?

It’s a question of continuing to grow what’s already there, it’s not about rebuilding anything. I have met the coaching staff and Mauricio Pochettino and spoke to the team. I know exactly what he needs - and I know exactly what he doesn’t need.

‘He doesn’t need someone getting involved in a day to day running of the team. He needs space to do his work, so that he can continue to grow the group. I get it, I totally get it. I feel the values that drive him.’

Poor WUM job even by your tenuous standards, pal. If you're going to be a c**t, do it properly at least.

What you mean this?

Poor WUM job even by your tenuous standards, pal. If you're going to be a c**t, do it properly at least.

So what did you make of these comment? Genuine question. . .

then goes on the say

“Everything needs to happen naturally. There need be no rush on either side. Pochettino needs to focus on all the important games coming up and I need to make space for him to do his work. He’s a very honest, strong personality with strong values. He should feel comfortable.”

then goes on the say

I read this as....

"Organic Growth...

No need to panic...

Every game is important...

Manager/first team coach needs space to work...

I like Pochettino"

...I don't understand where you see the negative.

I suppose it's the difference between being glass half empty or glass half full.

- I'm usually glass half full, unless the glass contains alcohol.

Agreed. I'm not sure how anyone can read anything negative into what Krueger said.

He's confirmed that it's onwards and upwards, that we're not for sale and that he'll leave Poch to get on with his job. Pretty positive to me.

Edited by egg

Two things stand out for me in his statement as published on the BBC site:

1. Club not for sale

2. "He also recognizes the need to improve the perception and reputation of the club."

I believe the latter to mean that he wants to establish us as a club that is seen by the "football word"

in the same way they see Chelsea, Manu, the Arse etc., i.e. as a legitimate contender for domestic and international silverware,

and no longer as just a provincial team of no real consequence (which I believe is how we are perceived by many now)

then goes on the say

What I made of it was that he's had experience in major league sport and he thinks the principles are transferable.

And that he then went on to say that

Everything needs to happen naturally. He probably thinks there need be no rush on either side. I believe he is of the opinion that Pochettino needs to focus on all the important games coming up and he needs to make space for him to do his work (being involved in team selection probably isn't too helpful for that.) Oh, and he thinks he’s a very honest, strong personality with strong values, he should feel comfortable.

I might be reading it wrong?

Maybe I missed something?

Or you are ITK on this?

I have some more question marks here if you've used all of yours?

I don't think that you can draw too much from the interview save what was explicitly stated or can be reasonably implied. First, the club is not for sale. Second, it's unlikely that he'll have joined to see us plummet down the table; wouldn't be great for his reputation if the club regresses from the lofty heights we reached with Cortese at the helm.

Though the focus seems to be set on the commercial end of the business, you can't really have that without success on the pitch underpinning it. Prize money and gate receipts are areas of growth the club should be targeting. Merchandising is also huge; and not capacity-limited in the same way that TV money and bums on seats are. If there is enough demand, you can flog as many shirts as you can make, etc. None of that is possible without success to sustain it. I also think we'll be one of the strongest advocates of Premier League B.

The pessimistic possibility is that our academy is going to be a player factory for the bigger clubs, but that goes against Les Reed's statements about the academy being there for Southampton's benefit. Vagueness about the long-term future is likely part management speak, not wanting to make promises he can't deliver on, but mostly just not having definitive answers on a lot of issues. Like is Poch staying, etc, etc?

I am cautiously optimistic. Externally, he looks sensible so far - a good communicator and evidently someone who has been in the background for a while before taking this job (bad leaders often look without leaping). As others have said - actions speak louder than words.

Whilst I agree with your interpretation of the interviews - in general there is nothing to be negative about, and that we need to see how it all pans out before drawing any conclusions - which is all sensible etc.... A couple of points I made easily still rankle ... And they are just my opinion, and nothing more.

1. The emphasis on commercial- I think some folks over estimate the the value of the commercial activity... Eg we would have to sell a million shirts to generate enough net operating surplus to fund a half decent player, or about 30 million pints etc... Seriously, the impact even doubling our current commercial revenues would have in available funding for team growth is small.... The big opportunities are in sponsorship etc but only for those clubs with global brands... A hotel and local commercial enterprises on surrounding land would with a few millions per annul, not the 40-50mil extra that starts to make a difference player wise.

2. The vagueness about player sales. Think we all understand that unless we can provide players good enough for CL football on a regular basis, the best will leave for clubs able to offer it... The modern era has always been like that.... But under NC there appeared a genuine desire and strong will t change the timing. Whereas historically the Bales, Walcotts etc had tended to leave at u18 due to the financial realities or our lowly position, the new way was about creating a genuine belief that if we stay together for a few years, let these players develop to their full potential BEFORE leaving, we would benefit from them... Which would give us maybe cyclical success. I did not get the impression that this remained a very strong focus/ strategy - May just be the way the questions went, and I will be v happy to be wrong, but just a suspicion we won't fight quite so hard to keep players for that bit longer...

3. Finally, everything seems 'sensible' - well I used that term to decent Lowe during his prem years. He may have been many of the things folks thought he was as well, but he was sensible from a money perspective... And I am just no longer sure being sensible with perhaps acceptance that 9-13th stable would we good for 'a club of our size' is enough to get excited about. Cortese was about a philosophy that 'ask not if we can win the league, but how'

forget the probability associated with that, it's not the point. It's about the attitude of challenging expectations. The first step to improvement is NOT accepting, what is most likely, but asking how you make the possible , more probable... And I am not sure we got that message from that interview.

so early days, and not to get either worried or too excited about. For some the better communications an appreciation of the clubs history will be more than enough compensation for a while if things don't progress as we have been used to over the last 5 years... I can't say that bothers me as I don't have an expectation for the club to love me back and be all touchy feely - I just want to see them win with style and get some benefit from the talent we have nurtured and developed... Do that and They will be a dream team. If they don't, sadly I will always have that niggling doubt about what might have been.

Glasgow's decline is sad to see for a once humerous poster. Needs a timeout.

Hope you get the help you need pal.

I have offered to help. Glad it's not just me that sees a troubled soul. Mental illness is no laughing matter.

Up for a one on one session before the Everton game then GS? Will this be your first trip to St Marys?

Whilst I agree with your interpretation of the interviews - in general there is nothing to be negative about, and that we need to see how it all pans out before drawing any conclusions - which is all sensible etc.... A couple of points I made easily still rankle ... And they are just my opinion, and nothing more.

1. The emphasis on commercial- I think some folks over estimate the the value of the commercial activity... Eg we would have to sell a million shirts to generate enough net operating surplus to fund a half decent player, or about 30 million pints etc... Seriously, the impact even doubling our current commercial revenues would have in available funding for team growth is small.... The big opportunities are in sponsorship etc but only for those clubs with global brands... A hotel and local commercial enterprises on surrounding land would with a few millions per annul, not the 40-50mil extra that starts to make a difference player wise.

2. The vagueness about player sales. Think we all understand that unless we can provide players good enough for CL football on a regular basis, the best will leave for clubs able to offer it... The modern era has always been like that.... But under NC there appeared a genuine desire and strong will t change the timing. Whereas historically the Bales, Walcotts etc had tended to leave at u18 due to the financial realities or our lowly position, the new way was about creating a genuine belief that if we stay together for a few years, let these players develop to their full potential BEFORE leaving, we would benefit from them... Which would give us maybe cyclical success. I did not get the impression that this remained a very strong focus/ strategy - May just be the way the questions went, and I will be v happy to be wrong, but just a suspicion we won't fight quite so hard to keep players for that bit longer...

3. Finally, everything seems 'sensible' - well I used that term to decent Lowe during his prem years. He may have been many of the things folks thought he was as well, but he was sensible from a money perspective... And I am just no longer sure being sensible with perhaps acceptance that 9-13th stable would we good for 'a club of our size' is enough to get excited about. Cortese was about a philosophy that 'ask not if we can win the league, but how'

forget the probability associated with that, it's not the point. It's about the attitude of challenging expectations. The first step to improvement is NOT accepting, what is most likely, but asking how you make the possible , more probable... And I am not sure we got that message from that interview.

so early days, and not to get either worried or too excited about. For some the better communications an appreciation of the clubs history will be more than enough compensation for a while if things don't progress as we have been used to over the last 5 years... I can't say that bothers me as I don't have an expectation for the club to love me back and be all touchy feely - I just want to see them win with style and get some benefit from the talent we have nurtured and developed... Do that and They will be a dream team. If they don't, sadly I will always have that niggling doubt about what might have been.

If there's one thing Franko hates, it's vagueness.

Still blathering on about possible/probable too. You're spoiling us.

@alex_crook: RT @Joe_Batchelor: An interesting point was when Krueger said #saintsfc will have to 'work within our means' and 'may have to pay a price for that.' Players?

I think people might read different things into that, but I take it to mean that we won't be spending money on a scale of Chelsea or Man.City, but having to follow new FIFA rules we must " cut our clothes according to our cloth" and not spend more than we earn. Kreuger said there was much potential in the commercial area.

If we can develop the commercial side a bit more (especially overseas) then we'll generate more money to work with. Also if we continue to produce the high quality Academy players there will be an eventaul market in transfers to other clubs, as no matter how many " Lallana's and Shaw's" are produced in the future.... we can still only field 11 players at a time. Putting aside the "big names " being bandied about at present, quite a lot of those " released " from the Academy in recent years have found comfortable placements in other club sides - even if they don't always come directly into the Prem. from Day 1.

Agreed. I'm not sure how anyone can read anything negative into what Krueger said.

He's confirmed that it's onwards and upwards, that we're not for sale and that he'll leave Poch to get on with his job. Pretty positive to me.

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see

Perhaps its the nature of my job, perhaps its the way i am. Some people go to a clairvoyant and walk away super excited with the "one" thing they said. They ignore the 50 other things that werent so positive or accurate. 'Hope' is powerful like this

Like i said in my op, RK seems like a decent guy. . . but some comments were odd (to me)

1) I’ve had experience in major league sport and the principles are transferable

2) I’ve been a head coach. . . Everything needs to happen naturally. There need be no rush on either side

3) no rush. . .He should feel comfortable.

4) I’m going to come in gently

5) They don’t need sudden changes of direction right now

6) My strengths are sport-specific

7) I’ve been in a professional team environment since I was 17

8 ) I know this will be a difficult situation, but that’s what makes it exciting and challenging

Look closely, because the closer you think you are, the less you will actually see

Perhaps its the nature of my job, perhaps its the way i am. Some people go to a clairvoyant and walk away super excited with the "one" thing they said. They ignore the 50 other things that werent so positive or accurate. 'Hope' is powerful like this

Like i said in my op, RK seems like a decent guy. . . but some comments were odd (to me)

1) I’ve had experience in major league sport and the principles are transferable

2) I’ve been a head coach. . . Everything needs to happen naturally. There need be no rush on either side

3) no rush. . .He should feel comfortable.

4) I’m going to come in gently

5) They don’t need sudden changes of direction right now

6) My strengths are sport-specific

7) I’ve been in a professional team environment since I was 17

8 ) I know this will be a difficult situation, but that’s what makes it exciting and challenging

Nope. Still don't know what you are banging on about. Can you explain, for dullards like me, what exactly you see as negative in each of the statements above. It may help with my dossier for the Everton game.

GS, are you implying that Kreugers comments could be interpreted to mean that he could muscle in on the managers job?

If so that is one bizarre interpretation.

If not, please clarify what you're insinuating.