Would you take £7m for Osvaldo?

Glasgow_Saint

If that's the most we can get then it's fine for a player that has very little future at our club. However I think Saints will be holding out for more. £7 million could fund a decent replacement striker. Some transfers are hits, some are misses. We don't have a good record of buying expensive, we seem to be better at buying bargains.

We will wait to see how he does in the world cup before we decide on a fee

& risk losing more money?

If you look at the Osvaldo situation like rolling a dice. If Juventus (anyone) is going to give us £7m id say thats a 3 (on the dice)

We could roll and get a 6, sure. But we could also get a 1

Osvaldo has already cost us enough

£7 mill without a doubt, I think we'd be lucky to get 5, he's been a problem wherever he has been, put it another way, if we found a similar player with a similar reputation and also not a prolific goal scorer, how much would you be happy for saints to pay?

£7 mill without a doubt, I think we'd be lucky to get 5, he's been a problem wherever he has been, put it another way, if we found a similar player with a similar reputation and also not a prolific goal scorer, how much would you be happy for saints to pay?

Very true. Not to mention the fact he's probably costing us £3m a year in wages.

Since Day One, Osvaldo, his agent and Juventus have been conniving this move. First, the punch up, then the loan deal and now together they will do everything possible to bring down the price. This will involve Osvaldo under playing in games so Juventus can say he's not worth it. If he gets a call for the World Cup we can remain optimistic, but, if not, then we need to tell them where to go assured there will be others who'll pay a better price.

Terms were agreed at loan stage : they take him on loan, pay his wages, and have the right to buy for £15M.

If they choose not to take up the option, fine, but I don't like this approach from them. It's like we agreed to sell a car, they test drive him and say they are only prepared to pay a fraction of the agreed fee.

I don't want him back, but on principle we decline their offer and make him available to other bidders.

No i decided to trust the word of Ramirez over some random that claimed to have seen Ramirez's pay slips

Actually you're trusting the word of an Italian newspaper with non confirmed quotes but hey ho. I can categorically state having been involved with international press recently these come with agendas and are regularly made up. I'm afraid it means I believe v little in the papers.

Regardless of finance we need a player pushing the others harder. If Gaston presence pushed lallana and j rod on to improve there's a benefit there. Osvaldo however we should cut loose and take the hit on a few million. (we are already not paying his wages let's keep it that way)

It's hard to say. I expect plenty of Italian clubs rate him highly but I don't know about their finances. Could they afford to spend £10m+?

Anyway, the club will take £7m and get him off the wage bill if that's all they can get. If they have enough interest to negotiate for more then they'll do that, but you imagine they'd have to use competition between clubs as leverage. Every club will assume we want to sell so we don't have much ground there.

Edited by DuncanRG

7 Mil is their opening bid, if we agreed they would know we are desperate and drop the price even lower or add payment schedules that would take an age to pay off.

Go back with 10 mil and negotiate if needed to 8.5 with a 5% sell on clause.

All of the above though is dependent on it fitting in with our summer budget and strategy something none of us have a scooby about.

unless a paradigm shift is on the cards (ala Puncheon-type revelation) he'll never play for Saints again

...but longer term the size of his (reputed salary) will cost us a packet over the next THREE years -if we can't get rid of him... (e.g.) if 40K week ..that's over £2 million / year :scared:

maybe good to cut our losses and get the best deal possible.

Seems thats what Juventus will offer - saying the current fee is “impossible”.

A £6m loss in 12 months.

Deal or no deal?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-transfer-news-juventus-trying-3425850?

Juventus are taking the P .... but that should come as no surprise

Did anyone REALLY think that they were going to cough up £15M ? Fantasy League stuff

As I have said before, this illustrates perfectly why loaning out a player "with an option to buy" is a waste of time

Juventus had NO intention of ever paying £15M

I would tell Juventus to "get stuffed" and call Osvaldo BACK

That would certainly put his useless Agent on overdrive if nothing else. Cortese would have called him back the minute Juventus started all the Krap

As I have said before, this illustrates perfectly why loaning out a player "with an option to buy" is a waste of time

Juventus had NO intention of ever paying £15M

an option to buy is in favour of the buyer. if the player performs better than the agreed price then the buyer with the option gets a cut price deal. it's not a waste of time, it was just never for our benefit.

did anyone expect us to get a deal slanted in our favour when he was never going to play for us again and he's one of if not our highest salary on the books?

Seems thats what Juventus will offer - saying the current fee is “impossible”.

A £6m loss in 12 months.

Deal or no deal?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-transfer-news-juventus-trying-3425850?

It's not a 6m loss. His value amortises over the length of his contract, which was 4 years, so his asset worth has already taken a 3.2m hit to 9.6m. It's basic economics.

Juve are presumably working on the (accurate) basis that he's not going to want to play for us, we're not going to want him back, and we will struggle to move him on in a world cup year unless he lights up the tournament (which is looking increasingly unlikely, I'd be surprised if he makes more than a couple of sub appearances).

So 7m is actually a pretty fair sum, all things considered, if the alternative is throwing good money after bad in the way of wages. Albeit the reality of dealing with the Italian clubs is that you could probably push another couple of mill from them, but it will take all summer with a load of grandstanding and histrionics in-between.

I'd like him to stay and 'do a Puncheon', but I think it's so unlikely we'd be better off moving him on. Our squad has suffered from considerable bloat and 'journeyman syndrome' because we moved through the leagues so quickly, so we actually have a very small squad of sufficient quality. There will need to be quite a few players in this summer, which means we should be looking to claw back as much from the hangers on as possible. For the record, I'd move Ramirez on for a similar fee.

He is no good to us, the rest of the team don't want to play with him, and he seems totally unsuited to the PL so we need to get what we can for him and re-invest that money in good up coming young players. There is no point holding out for what we paid for him because we won't get it. 7 million re-invested in the team is better than no money and a disgruntled player we can't use.

If we had to, yes.

However his stock is still relatively high in Italy, Spain and I imagine teams would be willing to take a punt - I would fancy we could see something closer to the ten mark if we get any other interest, still a quality player just a nightmare to get his head straight!

Would I take £7million for him? Yes! I'd love to have £7million!

On a serious note, I don't understand people getting caught up on wages, it's something that is out of our hands as a fan. Yes we invest money through ticket and shirt sales and so on, so to an extent it is our money, but we don't actually know how much players are getting paid- whether someone has seen the pay checks or whether someone is making the figures up and claiming them to be gospel ( :rolleyes: ) we just don't know, so what's the use in speculating on something we know very little about?

If I were the club, £7m would be the minimum I'd take, he's doing OK at Juve and has a good (not great) goal scoring record in the past and international experience. I just don't know why anyone would want to spend big money on him though, he has been a nightmare wherever he has been and I think any club would be stupid to buy him, having said that, there do seem to be a lot of clubs with people in charge who love making stupid decisions.

an option to buy is in favour of the buyer. if the player performs better than the agreed price then the buyer with the option gets a cut price deal. it's not a waste of time, it was just never for our benefit.

did anyone expect us to get a deal slanted in our favour when he was never going to play for us again and he's one of if not our highest salary on the books?

Surely that's the whole point

Juventus KNEW right from the off that we wanted to get rid of him

So, why all the "K rap" about JUve having an "option to buy" ..... a load of spheres

They had NO intention to buy, and we should NOT have loaned him out

Not play him, fine. Ban him from training, fine . THEN his agent would have had to work for his money, because Osvaldo would NOT have been happy by not playing in the run up to WC selection

( Lawrie Mac did something similar to Mark Wright when he went Ape, sorted him out though )

( Lawrie Mac did something similar to Mark Wright when he went Ape, sorted him out though )

Problem is Oswaldo cost us £13-14m, we gave him a huge signing on fee and were paying him £65k per week.

You cant really make an example of someone, when youre paying them £3m+ per year

It was sensible to loan him out, naive to think wed seen the last of him.

If we had to, yes.

However his stock is still relatively high in Italy, Spain and I imagine teams would be willing to take a punt - I would fancy we could see something closer to the ten mark if we get any other interest, still a quality player just a nightmare to get his head straight!

Is his stock all that high? How many clubs out there would be interested in him and be prepared to pay us £7m+ and the wages Osvaldo would be looking for? Can't be that many.

On a serious note, I don't understand people getting caught up on wages, it's something that is out of our hands as a fan. Yes we invest money through ticket and shirt sales and so on, so to an extent it is our money, but we don't actually know how much players are getting paid- whether someone has seen the pay checks or whether someone is making the figures up and claiming them to be gospel ( :rolleyes: ) we just don't know, so what's the use in speculating on something we know very little about?

Team selection is out of our hands, but we still speculate about it. Wages are obviously important, they make a huge difference to how much a player actually costs a club.

Surely that's the whole point

Juventus KNEW right from the off that we wanted to get rid of him

So, why all the "K rap" about JUve having an "option to buy" ..... a load of spheres

They had NO intention to buy, and we should NOT have loaned him out

Not play him, fine. Ban him from training, fine . THEN his agent would have had to work for his money, because Osvaldo would NOT have been happy by not playing in the run up to WC selection

the crap about an option to buy was a bunch of mongs on here that thought that clause was of any benefit to us.

we got his salary off our books for part of the season which is a benefit. I doubt a permanent move would have been forthcoming from anyone with consecutive clubs wanting rid of him and him getting past his peak.

It is interesting that a total pariah that "society" said should be at best deported and at worst banned for life for his "mental" attitude that bordered on the insane is now expected to win the EPL Player of the Season award at Liverpool.

Yes Osvaldo is also a complete basket case. Just a shame really. His 15mil is the bulk of our "debt". The more we get back the less of an issue that becomes and I would expect it is the amount we get for him that will determine how our summer goes as much as whether we cash in on AL or Luke.

I think we will hold out for as long as possible to get as much back as possible so 7mil? No

It is interesting that a total pariah that "society" said should be at best deported and at worst banned for life for his "mental" attitude that bordered on the insane is now expected to win the EPL Player of the Season award at Liverpool.

Yes Osvaldo is also a complete basket case. Just a shame really. His 15mil is the bulk of our "debt". The more we get back the less of an issue that becomes and I would expect it is the amount we get for him that will determine how our summer goes as much as whether we cash in on AL or Luke.

I think we will hold out for as long as possible to get as much back as possible so 7mil? No

In fairness if Osvaldo was in the same league as Suarez our fans would be happy for him to beat up Fonte every week:). Sadly he wasn't and other (better) players in the team didn't want him in the squad(not something that happened to Suarez at Liverpool).

If £7M is all we can get I wonder if some kind of reconcilliation is still not possible, the club and the player call a truce for next season, Ossie gets his head down and raises his stock for a move, SFC guarantees it won't stand in the way if an offer comes in and everyone gains.

What makes the whole Ossie situation such a headache is that all season we have been clearly lacking in exactly the sort of player that he is.

Or maybe he'll have a good WC and all this will be moot as a bunch of Italian\Spanish teams come in for him with decent offers?

I can't believe people are so hung up on getting our money back - it's not going to happen! His value has dropped over the last year and even if it hadn't, he will do more harm than good here. £7million is actually more than I was expecting to get for him.