Adam Lallana - Medical at Liverpool

Dr Who?

I'm undecided on whether it's in Saints best interest to let Lallana go. Everyone has a price. 25 million (minus the Bournemouth kick-back) is still extremely good business.

I have always thought he would grow into a key premiership player, even when he was a skinny 16 year old in the ressies. His natural skill was always there to see, but it was whether he could cope with the physicality and pace of the game at the highest level. I think he is deceptively quick, especially over short bursts, plus he has that quickness of feet that allows him to bamboozle the opposition at times. He also work bloody hard most of the time.

Replacing him is do-able, but I have no idea who with.

I know he hasn't had the best of World cups, but maybe that isn't all his fault - maybe he has been playing to his coaches instructions. He excels in our pressing type of game and when he has the option of interchanging with other players. Didn't see too much evidence of that from the England team.

Are Bayern Munich up for selling him then? Even if they were, he is hardly likely to jump at the chance is he?

What a daft question. This is Liverpool we're talking about. It's got nothing to do with Bayern Munich.

I thought one of the attractions of them signing Lallana was he is English and helps them meet their quota? Isn't their a restriction on now?

Got to be 8 in the 25 for both the PL and UEFA competitions. Doesn't mean you have to play them though. City get round it easily enough, only 2 HGs actually play for them on a regular basis I think. If you don't have 8 over 21 HGs you jhust reduce your squad by the number that you don't have. Don't think Saints had 25 over 21s last season, didn't do us much harm. Liverpool aren't short of home growns, they're short of talent in depth that's all.

Got to be 8 in the 25 for both the PL and UEFA competitions. Doesn't mean you have to play them though. City get round it easily enough, only 2 HGs actually play for them on a regular basis I think. If you don't have 8 over 21 HGs you jhust reduce your squad by the number that you don't have. Don't think Saints had 25 over 21s last season, didn't do us much harm. Liverpool aren't short of home growns, they're short of talent in depth that's all.

Even shorter now :lol:

What a daft question. This is Liverpool we're talking about. It's got nothing to do with Bayern Munich.

Errm, not sure if that was an attempt at ironic humour or what? No smileys makes it difficult to tell. But my post was in response to a suggestion we buy Shaqiri - who plays for Bayern Munich.

Are Bayern Munich up for selling him then? Even if they were, he is hardly likely to jump at the chance is he?

Well, last season he was a bit part player playing in 17 of their 34 league matches, so we might have been able to tempt him, but now he's gone and scored a world cup hattrick i think we can safely discount him from any transfer thoughts.

Even though you know its coming (unless you have ahd your head buried for months), it doesn't make it any easier.

We may buy in good players, but Lallana has been with Saints for years and both he and Shaw were developed by the club. Sad, sad day to lose them - even if totally understandable from their perspectives.

Also makes it massively important to retain players like Cork and Fonte who have some sort of proper history with the club.

Edited by Saint Charlie

So the rumoured £50m fund is basically from selling Shaw and Lallana?

Seems to contradict everything we've heard but still pretty likely.

Wish it wasn't Liverpool, vile club. And what a horrible first day that'll be. Koeman must have known though.

My main fear is what Schneiderlin says to this. Why on earth should he stay? Same with Lovren, both could play in the CL now.

Exactly. I imagine a lot of players are going to have to be convinced to stay now. The question is do the players believe the board and their ambitions? Clearly three people now didn't and I expect that number to rise.

So the rumoured £50m fund is basically from selling Shaw and Lallana?

Seems to contradict everything we've heard but still pretty likely.

Wish it wasn't Liverpool, vile club. And what a horrible first day that'll be. Koeman must have known though.

My main fear is what Schneiderlin says to this. Why on earth should he stay? Same with Lovren, both could play in the CL now.

What rumoured 50m fund? The only rumours are SSN claiming a 70m fund and Guan claiming 35m before sales.

I honestly believe Adam will regret this move sooner rather than later as will liverpool spending what they are ......as a player he is skilled technically but lacks pace and accelaration . Last year the tactics and pace of play played to his strengths , also as has been raised he never lasts 90 mins generally , maybe there is a historical medical reason for that ?

Personally I would rather we sold him now and bought shaquiri for 10m he has pace and can shoot which has never really been in Adams locker.

Telegraph Journo John Percy just now:

Southampton midfielder Adam Lallana set to complete £25m move to #lfc. Talks now at an advanced stage and could even be completed today.

I'd trust John Percy. Disappointed with £25m though if I'm honest.

Not sure why people think we will sign Shaqiri?

Don't get me wrong, i'd be delighted if we did, but he is out of our league, let's be clear about that.

If we kept all of last year's squad and had kept Cortese, i still don't think we would have been able to sign him. Even less so now

Oh if we signed Shaquiri and Blind and had a big profit on Shaw and Lallana I think it would be brilliant business.

And I think both would have been possible before, but now I'm not sure we can easily convince players of our ambition.

Between Basel, Bayern & Ajax, they've both pretty much spent their entire careers so far in the Champions League. Neither was ever going to come here. Not even a shred of a chance.

Balls. I wonder whether Koeman even had the chance to speak with them both.

The moves just seem to have been deferred until end of WC and all the talk of getting right price for the club seem a bit hollow given how quickly they have been sold. Not a good day to be a Saints fan.

Let's hope for some incomings next week, as it is going to get harder and harder to convince new players of our ambition if all we are reported as doing is flogging off our best players.

If Lovren and Schneiderlin did go, and I know it's likely, it really would be an unprecedented sell off at a successful premier league club. Just hasn't happened.

Would really be a huge statement of no intent to the football world. Very hard to recover from, will be a terrible atmosphere amongst the fans and very little patience for Koeman I fear.

Exactly right. Not great news, but thats the long and short of it.

Shaw gone, Lallana almost certainly gone - if Morgan and Lovren follow, i'll be happy if we stay up this season

Will make it crucial to get someone in who as good as guarentees goals, not someone who may or may not adapt.

Also need to start making signings so they have a full pre season, or as near to it as possible.

After the appointment of Koeman, I have a confidence in the board and owner that was previously wavering.

i am sure that we have quality replacements lined up to replace Shaw, Lallana and anyone else we are happy to sell.

Koeman wouldn't gave come here if he didn't think he could do a good job.

Keep the faith.

If you stand back and analysis it from aneutral perspective, we have had Liverpools pants down. ALmay be a god to some and he may have quick feet and a bit of a football brain but boy does he have limitations.

He did stay with us when we plummeted down the leagues I will be grateful for that (were there offers for him)

We have had most of his best years and he is probably now at the height of his game. Let him go and have his big money move, I don't think it will bring him happiness though. The scoucers will not have the same affinity to him and he has to hit the floor running as they are even more desperate to win the league after last season.

Thank you Adam for the transfer fee and helping us back up the leagues,but you will find that the grass is not greener on the other side of the fence

After the appointment of Koeman, I have a confidence in the board and owner that was previously wavering.

i am sure that we have quality replacements lined up to replace Shaw, Lallana and anyone else we are happy to sell.

Koeman wouldn't gave come here if he didn't think he could do a good job.

Keep the faith.

This.

Koeman starts with a blank-ish canvas. Might be less easy at the start of next season, but given time.....