The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

Gerry Francis or Terry Butcher would make us the joke of world football. Not going to happen. Would prefer **** Francis and Pat Butcher.

And they're both dead. But hang on David Wickes (Pat's son) left last week, you could be on to something.

do you reckon some of the weird names popping up are actually candidates for youth coach positions? I mean like Gerry Francis & Paul Hart and some of the other bros I've been hearing bout today.

Or are they all just jokes?

Having been away from here for a few hours and in answer to people asking about the moves on BF.....betting markets can give you very good clues as to what is really happening if you can read them correctly. If (to keep up with the theme of the day) Gerry Francis is backed from 500/1 to 7/2 with Skybet, plenty of people would thing it MUST mean something, whereas it would mean absolutely zilch. These markets are very different to most as some people KNOW the winner. I'm not suggesting Ralph is permanently logged into BF to nick a few grand, but I dare say someone close to the inner circle wouldn't turn their nose up at it. So how do you get the best return? Not with traditional bookies (try ringing up for £500 on our Gerry and see how much they'll lay you!) who only take pennies on such markets, but on BF. Even here though, you need to be careful - put up ten grand wanting to back RK at evens and you scare everyone away, so you need to do it in dribs and drabs. In conclusion, some of the moves at lunchtime suggested to me that someone knew it was RK and that they maybe didn't have all that much time to cash in. I could, of course, be completely wrong.....!

Don't they also take into account where the money is coming from. Harder in the internet era, but I read somewhere that the book was closed on Rickie to Liverpool, not because of the amount bet because a few small bets came in from Merseyside initially. My mate in the press reckons a certain English international made a killing when twitchy went to spurs. If RK's nephew starts placing bets, we'll know.

do you reckon some of the weird names popping up are actually candidates for youth coach positions? I mean like Gerry Francis & Paul Hart and some of the other bros I've been hearing bout today.

Or are they all just jokes?

Football is a serious business Bearsy.

Having been away from here for a few hours and in answer to people asking about the moves on BF.....betting markets can give you very good clues as to what is really happening if you can read them correctly. If (to keep up with the theme of the day) Gerry Francis is backed from 500/1 to 7/2 with Skybet, plenty of people would thing it MUST mean something, whereas it would mean absolutely zilch. These markets are very different to most as some people KNOW the winner. I'm not suggesting Ralph is permanently logged into BF to nick a few grand, but I dare say someone close to the inner circle wouldn't turn their nose up at it. So how do you get the best return? Not with traditional bookies (try ringing up for £500 on our Gerry and see how much they'll lay you!) who only take pennies on such markets, but on BF. Even here though, you need to be careful - put up ten grand wanting to back RK at evens and you scare everyone away, so you need to do it in dribs and drabs. In conclusion, some of the moves at lunchtime suggested to me that someone knew it was RK and that they maybe didn't have all that much time to cash in. I could, of course, be completely wrong.....!

I think you need to reconsider some of the points in this post actually. Insider betting is illegal. Suggesting that anyone close to the inner circle is actively wagering is borderline.

How much longer can this go on - we're already the laughing stock.

Boloks we are. We chose to respect our ageing talisman and sold him for okay money and our manager wanted to move for a mercenary pay day. I guess Pompey fans may well be laughing but as ever they're too thick to realise that giving it large is only going to bite them in the arse once more in a couple of months when we are still prem and playing good football and they are scrapping once more for league survival. Wtfiln became a song for a very good reason and we have no need to stop singing it for years to come.

Jim Lucas@Jim_SFCMedia 2m

Sat down for a long and detailed chat with Les Reed earlier. Full interview coming to http://www.youtube.com/southamptonfc later. #saintsfc

This will be very interesting....I'm one of the (few by the looks of it) people who thinks Les' is kind of the only person with any footballing know-how on board...Easy to point fingers at him when it's all gone bad, but he's been here through the entire journey...so has done plenty of good.

Thanks for the heads up.

This will be very interesting....I'm one of the (few by the looks of it) people who thinks Les' is kind of the only person with any footballing know-how on board...Easy to point fingers at him when it's all gone bad, but he's been here through the entire journey...so has done plenty of good.

Thanks for the heads up.

Completely agree - From a football perspective, Les is the only one with any real experience - Which is a bit scary, but he has been the one constant (Off the field) for the whole project and to date that has been incredibly successful, so we have no choice but to trust him and his judgement.

My only concern is that any incoming managers (Of any note) might want or expect the managers job to include some of Les's current duties and whether he would be prepared to relinquish any control.

The longer it goes the less I think it will be Koeman.

He is unemployed, we have already held talks....surely it would have progressed a little more?

Sure we will get someone fairly decent though.

Funnily enough, I think the exact opposite. I feel we're approaching the end game.

The biggest disservice this forum has done the Saints search for a new manager has been leaving MURAT YAKIN's name out of the Poll. The day the Poll was posted Spartac led the footbqll world to believe Yakin had agreed to be their new manager, thus his name no longer appearing on the betting lists.

However, this was not so and the best candidate IS STILL AVAILABLE AND OPEN TO OFFERS.. The forum has done the search a huge disservice as I believe has his name appeared he'd have topped the list. The club will have people reading the fans opinions and not seeing his name may have influenced their search by writing him off as not popular.

Surely his name can be added or a fresh poll be started to include other candidates left out.

He was my A N Other choice.

And the point I've also been making... who else was here with 'football know-how' (I hate the phrase to be honest) when it was just Cortese at the helm? Yet only now he comes in for criticism...?

And the point I've also been making... who else was here with 'football know-how' (I hate the phrase to be honest) when it was just Cortese at the helm? Yet only now he comes in for criticism...?

I personally feel he's been involved in enough of the good stuff to be awarded some trust right now.....let's see what he can do.

I'll be honest and say I'm not entirely keen on the make up of the rest of the board, but I don't feel Les' deserves a lot of the grief he's currently getting.

Alex Goring Crook ‏@alex_crook 1h

Have to say have never seen so much support from fans for a potential managerial appointment as there seems to be for Koeman #saintsfc

So no one takes notice of this website, the supporters. This idiot is letting Talksport know of our wonderful poll, thus confusing the issue further.

The whole travesty is that Spartac fooled everyone into believing Yakin had signed for them. Google Yakin and you will not find anything in the UK to the contrary.

My contention on holding a new poll is Yakin was never included BECAUSE EVERYONE THOUGHT HE WAS NO LONGER AVAILABLE!!!

He is STILL AVAILABLE and open to NEW OFFERS. (See my earlier post to latest Swiss article.

Do the Board, the Club know he i still available. Have they, like most people, been fooled by Spartac into believing YAKIN is no longer available?

Our poll does NOTHING for YAKIN's cause. We must conduct a new poll. I voted in the earlier poll for Koeman believing Yakin had signed for Spartac. Most other Yakin supporters did the same. Yakin flew to Barcelona last Thursday for a break OR was he meeting our scouts who brought Pochettino to the club or somewthing similar.

2) Elsewhere I've seen no discussion on why Ralph really flew to Miami. Was it just to watch our boys, talk with them, or talk to managers like Moyes, Hoddle or someone else. I can't believe he's had no role to play in the Manager search.

Completely agree - From a football perspective, Les is the only one with any real experience - Which is a bit scary, but he has been the one constant (Off the field) for the whole project and to date that has been incredibly successful, so we have no choice but to trust him and his judgement.

My only concern is that any incoming managers (Of any note) might want or expect the managers job to include some of Les's current duties and whether he would be prepared to relinquish any control.

Rubbish. We employ a coach not a manager, Les does not do any coaching.