The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

Don't know why people are harping on about this bloke, experience only in a minnow league. So they beat Chelsea, Celtic beat Barca, does that mean Lennon is a suitable candidate then? Anyway Yakin will eventually take the job at Spartak.

Basel didn't just beat Chelsea, they did the double over them in the Champions league and also beat Tottenham in the UEFA Cup. More importantly, they did it playing an impressive possession-based high pressing game with a side that was assembled for a fraction of the cost of their opponents. Celtic's win over Barca was a real backs to the wall job where they surrendered possession and territory and defended admirably against a Barca side that were essentially already through. Lennon deserves credit for it but it wasn't beautiful football. Basel completely outplayed Chelsea and did it in style. It's not just the wins it's the manner in which they were done. For me Yakin is along way ahead of Lennon.

Toshack is actually Turkish for testicles - Make of that what you will.

This rumour is nothing to do with me!

I wish Turkish was Turkish for testicles ... that would have made a lot more sense.

I think you must be jesting here ART, the forum has done nothing to either hinder or promote the choice of the new manager.

It's nothing to do with the fans...we'll get whomsoever the board choose, no input from us required or accepted.

You make me sick with you holier than thou answers to posts. There was a time I enjoyed when you posted.

The board, the chairman have always received regular reports on what supporters and local media are discussing, griping about. Staff are employed by the club to keep the board updated on the media, the message boards. 90% of stories in the National Media, Radio are taken from what we the supporters discuss, what gets tweeted.

The Poll has been closed for days and a new Poll started based on updated candidates. It is a real travesty that probably the best candidate hasn't been included for supporters to vote on. How the hell can the board be expected to do their job when we the supporters can't even conduct an efficient poll and sounding of what we feel?

You make me sick with you holier than thou answers to posts. There was a time I enjoyed when you posted.

The board, the chairman have always received regular reports on what supporters and local media are discussing, griping about. Staff are employed by the club to keep the board updated on the media, the message boards. 90% of stories in the National Media, Radio are taken from what we the supporters discuss, what gets tweeted.

The Poll has been closed for days and a new Poll started based on updated candidates. It is a real travesty that probably the best candidate hasn't been included for supporters to vote on. How the hell can the board be expected to do their job when we the supporters can't even conduct an efficient poll and sounding of what we feel?

Yeah, I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the Other option in the poll had more than six percent. But it doesn't, so I don't.

I wonder whether Ranieri's name is being used to get Koeman to moderate his demands.

Definitely some poker going on.

His agent piping up with that bit of pro-Saints flannel the other day was also part of the game: make it look like RK is begging to come here, so if it falls through the club look like they blew it.

I would think RK doesn't come cheap, and may well be making silly demands of us, which we may be correct to push back on.

Let's hope it all resolves itself soon.

You make me sick with you holier than thou answers to posts.

How exactly was that 'holier than thou'?! Bit of an overreaction methinks. You think the poll has influence, WC doesn't. FWIW, I agree with WC, and I would wager that most others will too. If that makes me 'holier than thou' also, so be it...

I wonder whether Ranieri's name is being used to get Koeman to moderate his demands.

I think we all give the media far too much credit. I find it highly unlikely that clubs would use newspapers and betting sites to influence/ negotiate with perspective managers.

Maybe i'm too naive?

No. The Board discovered I had voted for him in the poll, and knowing I am such a Guru about all things Sporting they realised they had to take his name seriously.

True Story.

Really.

Honest.

:rolleyes:

I think we all give the media far too much credit. I find it highly unlikely that clubs would use newspapers and betting sites to influence/ negotiate with perspective managers.

Maybe i'm too naive?

In that case why are the Shaw / Lallana transfer negotiations being played out the media? The club may not be doing it but someone is, and because they think it will bring pressure to bear. Just as important is manipulation of public opinion / fans expectations.

In that case why are the Shaw / Lallana transfer negotiations being played out the media? The club may not be doing it but someone is, and because they think it will bring pressure to bear. Just as important is manipulation of public opinion / fans expectations.

Because playe's agents favour this method and manager's ones don't do it as much?

Definitely some poker going on.

His agent piping up with that bit of pro-Saints flannel the other day was also part of the game: make it look like RK is begging to come here, so if it falls through the club look like they blew it.

I would think RK doesn't come cheap, and may well be making silly demands of us, which we may be correct to push back on.

Let's hope it all resolves itself soon.

Don't really get your logic here. Do you think RK's agent is more interested in the perception of the club as having 'blown it' than whether his client gets the job or not?

Making him seem like he is 'begging' for the job is hardly going to improve his hand in contract negotiations, and surely if it all goes tits up, it will be him looking like he has lost out and not necessarily the club.

No. The Board discovered I had voted for him in the poll, and knowing I am such a Guru about all things Sporting they realised they had to take his name seriously.

True Story.

Really.

Honest.

:rolleyes:

Ah, but would you have voted for him if you had had the option of voting for Murat Yakin?

The Mods are plotting with the betting industry to keep the true front runner away from fans message boards thereby making a killing when he is finally appointed.

Yeah, I'd be more inclined to agree with you if the Other option in the poll had more than six percent. But it doesn't, so I don't.

A N Other may only have six percent but at the moment but that puts him in second place which gives a fair indication of how thin the field is after RK. I think a lot of people would be happy with RK or Yakin as they both set their teams out with similar principals to MP and would give us a promising way forward. Bit of a shame that we weren't really given the chance to cast a vote for one of the two outstanding candidates when people like Lennon and Magath were included. Voting for A N Other doesn't really give you a chance to express your true preference. I personally would have Yakin as my first choice but voted for RK as I would also be happy with him and didn't want any of the other specified choices and A N Other didn't give you an opportunity to say who.

Strong rumours

Terry Butcher is the frame for the saints job

According to a hibs supporting mate

I dont care if he bled for england

no way do I want him for saints

Surely not, are we really that desperate to have a British manager ? Smacks of little englander FA up ass stupidity to me, still it's only a rumour.

Don't really get your logic here. Do you think RK's agent is more interested in the perception of the club as having 'blown it' than whether his client gets the job or not?

Making him seem like he is 'begging' for the job is hardly going to improve his hand in contract negotiations, and surely if it all goes tits up, it will be him looking like he has lost out and not necessarily the club.

You clearly don't get the logic.

That agent stuff increases the pressure on the board to do a deal, because it suggests RK is entirely open to the job, when the reality is (could be) that he only wants it at XXX wages and/or XXX transfer funds. It sends a nice message to the fans to say - look, I'm not stalling, not me.

That is a pressure play. Not necessarily the greatest move but a move nonetheless.

The agent's primary job is not necessarily to get RK one job or another job, just to get the best deal.

You clearly don't get the logic.

That agent stuff increases the pressure on the board to do a deal, because it suggests RK is entirely open to the job, when the reality is (could be) that he only wants it at XXX wages and/or XXX transfer funds. It sends a nice message to the fans to say - look, I'm not stalling, not me.

That is a pressure play. Not necessarily the greatest move but a move nonetheless.

The agent's primary job is not necessarily to get RK one job or another job, just to get the best deal.

You'd like to think that when we are interviewing 4-5 candidates that we are in control of the situation, and not being pressurized by an agent who has let it be known publicly that his client is very interested in the job. As I said before, I really can't see that as a strong negotiating tactic. If it is meant as one then it is pretty feeble 'pressure play'.

There has been no comment from either side yet so it's all conjecture...things could well be progressing nicely behind the scenes for all we know. Most journo's have said they expect an appointment Thurs/Fri so no reason to be overly worried about any wrangling over contract terms yet.

A N Other may only have six percent but at the moment but that puts him in second place which gives a fair indication of how thin the field is after RK. I think a lot of people would be happy with RK or Yakin as they both set their teams out with similar principals to MP and would give us a promising way forward. Bit of a shame that we weren't really given the chance to cast a vote for one of the two outstanding candidates when people like Lennon and Magath were included. Voting for A N Other doesn't really give you a chance to express your true preference. I personally would have Yakin as my first choice but voted for RK as I would also be happy with him and didn't want any of the other specified choices and A N Other didn't give you an opportunity to say who.

Mods. the Poll is out of date and redundant.

Time for a new one that includes Yakin and Francis.

Having been away from here for a few hours and in answer to people asking about the moves on BF.....betting markets can give you very good clues as to what is really happening if you can read them correctly. If (to keep up with the theme of the day) Gerry Francis is backed from 500/1 to 7/2 with Skybet, plenty of people would thing it MUST mean something, whereas it would mean absolutely zilch. These markets are very different to most as some people KNOW the winner. I'm not suggesting Ralph is permanently logged into BF to nick a few grand, but I dare say someone close to the inner circle wouldn't turn their nose up at it. So how do you get the best return? Not with traditional bookies (try ringing up for £500 on our Gerry and see how much they'll lay you!) who only take pennies on such markets, but on BF. Even here though, you need to be careful - put up ten grand wanting to back RK at evens and you scare everyone away, so you need to do it in dribs and drabs. In conclusion, some of the moves at lunchtime suggested to me that someone knew it was RK and that they maybe didn't have all that much time to cash in. I could, of course, be completely wrong.....!