The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

Source? If that is correct as stated then he won't be coming because its almost certain that Shaw is gone, plus Lallana very likely too.

He might well be seeking assurances beyond those but I would think anyone coming in knows they won't have those two at their disposal unless there is a huge change in the landscape.

You know all of this for a fact do you?

Why would Ron stipulate that? He's probably not even familiar with shaw and lallana if at all. Surely he would be more happy bringing his own players in! So the more players needed the better for him.

I dont like to use it, but this was probably closer than ever for me to bring out that facepalm.

You think a manager at that level dont know about players in the national teams and who also are going to the WC.....

Really?

I mean....

Really??

Why would Ron stipulate that? He's probably not even familiar with shaw and lallana if at all. Surely he would be more happy bringing his own players in! So the more players needed the better for him.

Im pretty sure he has done his research and as such will be aware of two of our best players :facepalm:

The club will listen to offers for any of our players. The fact that they said they'd received no offers for any players and then sold RL 24 hours later proves this and also shows that they're liars. There's been offers on the table for Shaw and Lallana for some time so for Kruger to publicly announce that there's been no offers is just bull****. Everyone is for sale at the right price, unfortunately, the sale of Lambert for £4m suggests that our board haven't grasped that yet.

He might be told that they are off after the World Cup for all we know

He might want assurances that the fonte's, Morgans and lovrens of the squad will NOT be sold

Have we got more than one of each of those then?

The club will listen to offers for any of our players. The fact that they said they'd received no offers for any players and then sold RL 24 hours later proves this and also shows that they're liars. There's been offers on the table for Shaw and Lallana for some time so for Kruger to publicly announce that there's been no offers is just bull****. Everyone is for sale at the right price, unfortunately, the sale of Lambert for £4m suggests that our board haven't grasped that yet.

I'm confused. When did Krueger announce there had been no offers? What he said was:

"The preparation that’s been done by our scouts and recruiters make us feel we can move quite quickly to the next step to then present a shortlist of managers that we are considering, and then we can then move forward on the players, because we want the manager to make some decisions and be involved with who comes and goes, and they need to be able to continue to push the Saints forward."

This being held up as saying we wouldn't sell anyone without a manager in place (it doesn't say that) and that we've had no offers (which was probably Reed a couple of weeks before the season ended).

Am I looking at the wrong statement or is your outrage based on dodgy facts?

I dont like to use it, but this was probably closer than ever for me to bring out that facepalm.

Really?

I mean....

Really??

Are you an upper middle class middle aged lady? If not the face palm would have been better. ;)

I think you are getting confused. When did the club say they hadn't received any bids?

Think you will find it was several weeks before Lambert was sold, if fact when he was sold they stated they had received multiple other bids (rumoured to be very high and decent offers) all turned down.

I think its far more likely that you have your facts wrong, than they are liars.

Do you not think the price for Lambert is decent?

He will be 33 half way through the season - how many players can you think of at that age who were sold and their club managed to negotiate a muli-million pound fee?

I think the only things proven over last few weeks are that we are in a period of transition but those moaning about our owner seeking a fire sale were wrong.

Personally I doubt any manager would seek guarantees that players won't be sold, as it can always happen plus he would know the characters well enough to judge their reaction.

If there is any truth in this, (not convinced) think more likely would want guarantee involved in decisions and would have the money to spend - much as club have said and truthful so far.

So, to sum up 63 pages, some people think Les Reed and/or the board are either incompetent or mendacious. Others think they are doing the right thing. But nobody knows who our next manager is or when there may be an announcement about it. Carry on.

So, to sum up 63 pages, some people think Les Reed and/or the board are either incompetent or mendacious. Others think they are doing the right thing. But nobody knows who our next manager is or when there may be an announcement about it. Carry on.

Whats your source for that ? ;)

Koeman to be appointed by Thursday.

That would make sense. Hodgson has said he wants any transfer activity to be concluded before the World Cup starts. Saints have said they won't sell until a manager is in place. Leaving the announcement til Thursday effectively stalls any Lallana, Shaw deals until after the World Cup by which time the landscape may have changed.

our ambition as a club will be mirrored a lot through whoever is appointed, it's hard to stay positive with the people now in charge of Southampton FC appearing extremely weak which is something ( the image of the club) Cortese worked hard on changing. Personally I think Koeman will be an almighty flop, although Bruce would always be underwhelming appointment. For me, David Moyes, although under the new clowns it'll be Timmy.

our ambition as a club will be mirrored a lot through whoever is appointed, it's hard to stay positive with the people now in charge of Southampton FC appearing extremely weak which is something ( the image of the club) Cortese worked hard on changing. Personally I think Koeman will be an almighty flop, although Bruce would always be underwhelming appointment. For me, David Moyes, although under the new clowns it'll be Timmy.

I disagree with that assessment. If the board are as weak as you say, the likes of Shaw and Lallana wouldn't need to moan to the press that the hand that fed is still gripping them post-bite.

Nearly every manager has got a patchy career. Even Ferguson got sacked at St Mirren and nearly lost his job at Man U. He's a big name which will help retain players, will possibly bring a good striker with him and plays football thats good to watch. Whether that helps with results, we'll see

cute with all to links to managers that didn't have a good record then performed at saints, but for every strachan, there's a Jan poortvilet and in regards to Shaw and Lallana they'll be gone by the time the season starts, Although I'd love to be proved wrong..

cute with all to links to managers that didn't have a good record then performed at saints, but for every strachan, there's a Jan poortvilet and in regards to Shaw and Lallana they'll be gone by the time the season starts, Although I'd love to be proved wrong..

no comparison. Poortvliet had never done anything in management and was being asked to play the academy. I doubt anyone could have kept that team up.

Purely speculation on my part, but I wonder what odds of Clarence Seedorf being involved in the coaching set up with Ronald, given that he's just been sacked by Milan. If reports that Gio VB will be staying at Feyenoord are true then there are a couple of coaching roles to fill.

If reports that Gio VB will be staying at Feyenoord are true then there are a couple of coaching roles to fill.

Getting a good three or four man coaching team is as important as the manager. Thats would be my main concern about Koeman, if he comes alone and has to scrabble to find people and not only gel the team but also the coaches.

Getting a good three or four man coaching team is as important as the manager. Thats would be my main concern about Koeman, if he comes alone and has to scrabble to find people and not only gel the team but also the coaches.

I agree. I would hope that he is experienced enough and have enough close personal relationships to be able to put together a strong coaching team whom he knows will compliment each other.

I agree. I would hope that he is experienced enough and have enough close personal relationships to be able to put together a strong coaching team whom he knows will compliment each other.

Maybe this is the delay in confirming him. Ensuring he has this team in place ready to go.

Purely speculation on my part, but I wonder what odds of Clarence Seedorf being involved in the coaching set up with Ronald, given that he's just been sacked by Milan. If reports that Gio VB will be staying at Feyenoord are true then there are a couple of coaching roles to fill.

René Meulensteen?

He's going to have the contacts, and presumably we will be an attractive proposition for the backroom staff.

Could see a few more big names come in. Exciting!

I'd take Seedorf as assistant manager, but i would imagine he would only be interested in Managers jobs. Kluivert was linked to Man U, where is he at the moment?

I would think it'll be a Dutch set up to go with Koeman anyway..

I'd take Seedorf as assistant manager, but i would imagine he would only be interested in Managers jobs. Kluivert was linked to Man U, where is he at the moment?

think kelvin will be keeper coach

After his performance in Soccer Aid last night, he can go straight into the first team to play!!! Still got it, a class act.

I was just going to post the same thing....its interesting that 3 times I have seen people praise Kelvin for his role in the club. I remember Pardew saying at a forum

about how Kelvin looks after players fines - team discipline etc.

Recently Rickie also praised Kelvin for team spirit and I have seen for myself he is held in high regard amongst the keepers at Staplewood.

Christ I hope he is better teaching a young keeper how to cover his near post than he actually was/is whilst playing then :lol:

But I agree with the sentiment, he should be involved in the club for many years to come in some capacity.

What a boring day of nothingness. Nothing has even changed with the bookies and having dipped in and out of Betfair to see what money is being exchanged about a tenner has gone on today. Hopefully all quiet before the big announcement but it would be nice to get some rumours about Koeman being spotted at the airport again or something.

Ok, so that's the Dutch duo sorted. Now all we need is a revolutionary new coaching set up.

Hull are anything but. Play 3 at the back and play good stuff

Not saying they play bad stuff - just saying that compared to most English managers of his generation, he's a relative breath of fresh air but that's not saying much. His football is far less attractive than what we've got used to.