The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

I would be utterly disgusted at sherwood.

Sherwood was successful at Spurs as he had good players and had to replace a manager who'd lost the team. But, he's fundamentally an idiot. We'd become a regular laughing stock with his interview technique. Not a good enough manager to kick onwards for Saints. Sherwoods appointment would signal a miserable season and mid table finish at best.

The waiting game is a bit frustrating but it could be very good tactics, by the time its announced it will be too late to do deals before the WCup and that plays in our favour. Anyway its good to feel there are real interviews and planning going on. Hope I'm not kidding myself

Lots of snobbery on here. Seems foreign managers are the flavour of the month and also characters and honesty is also now deemed a weakness.

All very strange.

The game lacks honesty and personality, i found Sherwoods openess refreshing. He also delivered on the pitch last season. Win, win

You dont rate Sherwood? Why?

Personally I thought Sherwoods verbal aggressions against his players were counter productive last season. I can only envision it effecting a smaller squad more.

Lots of snobbery on here. Seems foreign managers are the flavour of the month and also characters and honesty is also now deemed a weakness.

All very strange.

The game lacks honesty and personality, i found Sherwoods openess refreshing. He also delivered on the pitch last season. Win, win

What would you know about honesty and personality?

All very strange.

If only some sad f**k could tell us about his win percentage.

There's something about Magath that doesn't sit well with me...it would erode my affinity with the club in a way. It's got to be Koeman in my opinion now and the Board need to get things moving so the repair process can start. And by repair, I mean repairing the trust of the fanbase Mr Krueger.

All very strange.

Sherwood is an out and out Skate.

P.S. How come you were allowed back? Did you have to make any promises?

To Mods: What is the point of banning people if they can just buy their way back? Many people said the site was better without Glasgow, but one little fiver and here he is........

Sherwood is an out and out Skate.

P.S. How come you were allowed back? Did you have to make any promises?

To Mods: What is the point of banning people if they can just buy their way back? Many people said the site was better without Glasgow, but one little fiver and here he is........

This.

You've made my day Latvian. I became discouraged after reports yesterday that Yakin had finally signed. But indeed, not so as you've posted.

I have found another article from today where he says he still hasn't decided and is open to other offers. He's off to Spain for a few days break. What impresses me is that Mourinho and Abramovich are recommending him.

At the end of the article Roberto Di Matteo's name is mentioned. Funny how he's no longer linked with Saints or mentioned on this thread of late

Mourinho advises Spartak Moscow "Take Yakin!"

Murat Yakin is Topkandidat in Moscow. Why? Because, "The Special One" has recommended him!

Published: 00.00 clock , Updated: 09.47 clock

By Michel Wettstein and Sandro Inguscio

18-yakin.jpg

Handshake: The two victories of the FCB against Chelsea Mourinho have obviously impressed. play

Handshake: The two victories of the FCB against Chelsea Mourinho have obviously impressed.

(Reuters)

In Russia, it seems imminent: Spartak Moscow has for Murat Yakin decided. Leonid Fedun club boss wants the 39-year-old absolutely. Yakin it should be, which brings the record champions after mediocre season and missed the international courts back on track. In order to convince the ex-FCB coach from the project, he had flown him in on Tuesday.

Negotiated on Wednesday a long time with him, showed him the infrastructure. And the oil billionaire is likely to have Yakin financially determined curly. 2 to 2.5 million Swiss francs net he will earn as the new coach of Spartak Moscow. LOOK know why the very rich club boss is so hot on Yakin. Because none other than Jose Mourinho has recommended the Basel! Looking for a coach candidate Fedun has asked his compatriot and fellow Roman Abramovich for help.

The Chelsea owner should ask but Mourinho, who had recently impressed him the most. That did Abramovich and Mourinho said: "Receive ye Yakin" What Yakin when FCB is therefore all the success in spite of not succeeded, but succeeded with "The Special One". The Basel tactical convinced him long term. Him last season impressed with the two victories with FCB over Chelsea.

Despite the charm offensive from Russia: Yakin remains as always cool. "I listen to everything, then decide my gut feeling," he says to VIEW. Contrary to other reports to Yakin has not yet decided and signed anything yet. He flew yesterday for a few days to Spain on holiday. He wants to think about his future. The decision is probably next week. Because Spartak boss Fedun has announced that the new coach will be announced on June 16.

Get going at the end but not Yakin, another Swiss could get to kiss on the hand: Roberto Di Matteo . The 44-year-old Chelsea also left a powerful impression - with the Champions League victory in 2012.

http://www.blick.ch/sport/fussball/mourinho-raet-spartak-moskau-nehmt-yakin-id2896511.html

All very strange.

If Sherwood was a mongboarder, would he be holding up the harsh mirror of truth to the happyclappers?

From the beginning, Sherwood knew that he was a lame duck and that he had nothing to lose by ruffling a few feathers with his attention-seeking Mike Bassettisms and taking a few risks on the pitch, though at no time did it appear that there was any method to his madness.

...None of which means he could manage for real.

Edited by shurlock

over 28 games LOL.

If you were manager for 1 game, and won that game, would that make you the best manager in the world with your 100% win rate?

You did rather misquote me there! :)

....or rather selectively quote me. I don't want him!

Edited by SaintRobbie

In answer to the questions.

It was suggested that the 'Glasgow Saint' username bore an unchangeable stench. In consultation with the user it was suggested that a break was in order followed by rejoining the board with a new identity.

Discuss his posts, play the ball not the man please. If he does revert to type then he will go the way that Glasgow was going to.

So pretty please, with sugar on top, stay on topic.

Sherwood masterminded two defeats over us last season & had an incredible league win % (59%)

Wonder if Pooch will get close to that next season? Very much doubt it

Id take Sherwood

Why don't call MoPo now? GS, too obvious I guess ... Pooch it is

I come on here for an update on the manager situation and I have to trawl through pages of sh17e about other posters. Come on mods sort it out!

Anyway back on topic, it looks like Sherwood has his odds shortened and Magath widened. Does anyone think the bookies are playing with the odds to encourage betters to place bets on other candidates by making them look like they're in with a chance (by having shorter odds)?

Sherwood for me is a no but to be fair he's only had 20 odd games and I haven't seen anything that would make me believe he'd be a bad choice, it's just that I haven't seen anything to suggest he could be a success.

Yakin and Koemen have both shown they could be successful. Personally I'd be keen on either and added into my top 3 would be McLaren. Very good coach and I believe would be a good fit for the direction the club has been looking to go in.

Edited by St Jim

Not sure Sherwood would have the respect of the players that for example Koeman would have. Sherwood also doesn't seem in full control of his emotions, watching his interviews after defeats was painful. He's not for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not sure Sherwood would have the respect of the players that for example Koeman would have. Sherwood also doesn't seem in full control of his emotions, watching his interviews after defeats was painful. He's not for me!

I'd agree with that. He did well in his brief spurs tenure, but I'd think that was more likely to be because of his relationship with the players than because he's a particularly good manager.

I would of thought if saints wanted Koeman and he wanted the job then the deal would of been done by now. It suggests to me that we are now trying to find an alternative and I personally do not like Magath.

Don't know his capability as a manager but its something about the guy which I just don't like.

I really hope they get it done whoever it is before the world cup starts then the new guy can concentrate on trying to build a team be it existing players or new ones ready for training in july.

I would of thought if saints wanted Koeman and he wanted the job then the deal would of been done by now. It suggests to me that we are now trying to find an alternative and I personally do not like Magath.

Don't know his capability as a manager but its something about the guy which I just don't like.

I really hope they get it done whoever it is before the world cup starts then the new guy can concentrate on trying to build a team be it existing players or new ones ready for training in july.

I think we're waitng for the England team to head for Brazil to stop any moaning from Lallana or pressure from Liverpool about us having appointed a manager.

I know kevin Bond quite well and his view on Sherwood is that he upsets players in the dressing room when things aren't going well. He tends to lose control of his emotions and ends up ranting at players who don't take kindly too kindly to being shown up in front of their peers.

For this reason Im Out.

In a recruitment process where several candidates are being interviewed it's unwise to read anything into the sequence in which the candidates are seen. Having decided who to interview, the panel will usually take account of other commitments and availability as to when particular individuals can be seen. Some people think there is an advantage in being seen last as that candidate's performance at interview may be freshest in the minds of the panel but this is unlikely in a professionally managed process. High profile job selections should end with a technical analysis of each candidate for the panel to consider with strengths and weaknesses compared. Despite all the speculation, the decision will only be made when it is made and with each candidate have been considered. From the outside, Koeman may appear the strongest of the names that have been bandied about but only those who have been taking part in the selection process can actually make that judgement and that doesn't include the Bookmakers or the Punters who drive the bookies' odds.

I reckon we already know who we're employing.

I'd expect the announcement to happen when the international lads have arrived at the WC.

One interesting thing about the past week or so; certainly seems as if talk of a firesale was premature. Something like 50m burning a hole in the pocket of the club right now, and KL and co have not cashed in.

Does anyone think the bookies are playing with the odds to encourage betters to place bets on other candidates by making them look like they're in with a chance (by having shorter odds)?.

Thats the way betting works. They try and balance their book so that they don't end up with too much money on one candidate. If money piles in on Koeman they're going to shorten the odds to make it less attractive and then quote long odds on others to encourage covering bets. Then money goes on the long shots and so they shorten and Koeman drifts out a little.

Edited by buctootim

Update from the Telegraph

“@JWTelegraph: Soton planning more talks with Koeman who impressed in i'view on Monday. Good chance of appointment in nxt wk”

Any idea on which journo that is? Although it's rare for the telegraph to tweet without a certain degree of confidence in what they're saying.