The New Manager Thread

washsaint

Who do you want as manager?  

572 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you want as manager?

Steve Bruce?

Blimey - now that would be a statement of intent by the board... of a fire sale. We'd be back to pre WC hysteria if we appointed Bruce.

Just do what Spuds did, "New coach must speak English", rules Brucie out straight away.

Bruce is a good dealer in the transfer market (especially from relatively untapped countries like Honduras) but he doesn't half whinge a lot and pander to the 'big boys'.

He's not the worst that has been linked, and may well be the best English candidate, but Koeman is obviously the man for the job. Think the Guardian made more of the Bruce link only as it hasn't been covered in any of the other papers and might whip up a bit of a stir among the Hull fans.

As a side note, I wish Roy Hodgson would stop talking about us like some wounded dog that needs to be put out of its misery.

Hodgson was answering a question put to him by Steve Grant no less

Hodgson was answering a question put to him by Steve Grant no less

Appreciate that he was asked the question (and by a Saints fan), but the patronising tone is just giving more ammunition for the papers to portray us as beleaguered and in meltdown - as the Guardian have done.

Would be nice to hear him draw attention to our strengths (I.e. youth development) and not perpetuate the image of a club punching above its weight, being bullied by the financial might of the top 6 clubs.

Appreciate that he was asked the question (and by a Saints fan), but the patronising tone is just giving more ammunition for the papers to portray us as beleaguered and in meltdown - as the Guardian have done.

Would be nice to hear him draw attention to our strengths (I.e. youth development) and not perpetuate the image of a club punching above its weight, being bullied by the financial might of the top 6 clubs.

Jesus Christ. Are you suggesting Roy Hodgson has never "drawn attention to our strengths" in "youth development"? Seriously?

Forum effing gold.

Jesus Christ. Are you suggesting Roy Hodgson has never "drawn attention to our strengths" in "youth development"? Seriously?

Forum effing gold.

He has seen us play god knows how many times

More than any other England manager in living memory.

If that is not backing us in what we are doing, I don't know what is

Forum effing gold.

I'm not suggesting that and I didn't say that. Don't let that spoil your faux outrage though.

In the context of being asked about selling players to Liverpool/Man Utd, it would be nice if he didn't talk about it like it was a formality and spoke of us in more positive terms. That is all.

Why is Bruce being dismissed so quickly. He's done a fantastic job with Hull last 2 seasons.

Hull are in Europe next season thanks to him

Are we just dismissing all British managers now?

Not saying he's my 1st pick, but we could do a lot, lot worse for sure

Why is Bruce being dismissed so quickly. He's done a fantastic job with Hull last 2 seasons.

I think it's because Koeman is considerably more experience and successful. Bruce just doesn't compare at the moment so it's hard to fathom why we'd go for him instead of Koeman.

Are we just dismissing all British managers now?

Not saying he's my 1st pick, but we could do a lot, lot worse for sure

You voted for Koeman in the poll, so where is your loyalty to British managers?

You voted for Koeman in the poll, so where is your loyalty to British managers?

I think Koeman is a more exciting appointment, if not a little more of a gamble.

As i said above Bruce wouldnt be my 1st pick, but if it happened id be pleased and would be very excited for next season.

Others above are suggesting that appointing Bruce would be an indication of zero ambition and an imminent fire-sale. I wouldnt see it like that atall.

I have 3 british managers in my top 5 manager wish list btw, just that Koeman topped it.

I'm not suggesting that and I didn't say that. Don't let that spoil your faux outrage though.

In the context of being asked about selling players to Liverpool/Man Utd, it would be nice if he didn't talk about it like it was a formality and spoke of us in more positive terms. That is all.

No faux outrage from me, mush.

Just giggling at the desperation that we need praise every single time a high profile figure mentions us.

No faux outrage from me, mush.

Just giggling at the desperation that we need praise every single time a high profile figure mentions us.

As national coach with a considerable degree of influence, I'd prefer he keep out of discussions about our England internationals being sold to be honest. If he has to talk about it then not sure why he is quite so pessimistic about our prospects of keeping onto them. Don't think it is doing us any good. If that is desperation, fair enough.

Edited by Toon Saint

Anyone wishing to hedge their disappointment about a Steve Bruce appointment can currently get 25-1 on him being appointed.

The article that mentions Bruce also states Koeman is the front runner. Add in the fact we'd have to get permission / pay compensation to Hull I think it's unlikely.

As national coach with a considerable degree of influence, I'd prefer he keep out of discussions about our England internationals being sold to be honest. If he has to talk about it then not sure why he is quite so pessimistic about our prospects of keeping onto them. Don't think it is doing us any good. If that is desperation, fair enough.

He was asked a specific question by a Saints fan.

Roy praising our academy every single time he ever mentions Saints is going to keep Lallana here is it?

I'd say whatever Roy says or doesn't say in press conferences/fans forums will have zero bearing on our transfer dealings. Zero bearing. Man up, son.

He was asked a specific question by a Saints fan.

Roy praising our academy every single time he ever mentions Saints is going to keep Lallana here is it?

I'd say whatever Roy says or doesn't say in press conferences/fans forums will have zero bearing on our transfer dealings. Zero bearing. Man up, son.

No, its the private conversations telling these guys they would be better off at a top club that worry me......and that is the only concern of any England or International manager and has been for years. Then when they don't get a regular spot in that club's starting eleven they aren't happy cos they don't play enough !

The story suggests that the board see Steve Bruce as "the English option". Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we agreed to have at least one Englishman on the shortlist and all things considered I think Bruce is probably the best of the bunch at the moment.

The story suggests that the board see Steve Bruce as "the English option". Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if we agreed to have at least one Englishman on the shortlist and all things considered I think Bruce is probably the best of the bunch at the moment.

I like Steve Bruce, but I would've said if we were going English then Steve McClaren would be a better fit.

No, its the private conversations telling these guys they would be better off at a top club that worry me......and that is the only concern of any England or International manager and has been for years. Then when they don't get a regular spot in that club's starting eleven they aren't happy cos they don't play enough !

Well you can't level that accusation at Hodgson because here we are with three Saints in the World Cup squad.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

I like Bruce but if he ditched hull for us now a lot of what I like about him would disappear. That wouldn't be integrity. He needs to improve them this season and show he can do it consistently. Yes they stayed up comfortably and got a cup final, he did well to get that up, but it was still a poor points total and he changes clubs too often.

Im sure he's walked out on a couple of clubs, my mates a Huddersfield fan and he hates him. I agree with you, too many middle of the road clubs and never really done much. He's had the advantages of a man utd career but still hasn't landed a big job really. Flavour of the month because they had a pretty easy cup draw. Id have Adkins back before him.

Im sure he's walked out on a couple of clubs, my mates a Huddersfield fan and he hates him. I agree with you, too many middle of the road clubs and never really done much. He's had the advantages of a man utd career but still hasn't landed a big job really. Flavour of the month because they had a pretty easy cup draw. Id have Adkins back before him.

Adkins is not a patch on Bruce

Simon Peach has just spoken with Ralph in Miami so it looks like there'll be no news for at least a few days.

tapping up Glenda with Wrighty as his assistant and Chiles as match day announcer?